AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-01-26, 21:44   Link #1
sumo
がんばってください

Like every one else I need help

Hey Guys and Ladies i know this may not be right place but i've been busting my butt searching for a way to type in japanese but none seem to work. I know i'm not the only one thats searched for this before and i was wondering that if out of the kindness of your hearts you can tell me how and where i can get the program. I 'm in japanese 2 right now and i have to type lots of papers and reports and quite frankly bable fish just doesn't do it any more.

Well I leave you till tomorow
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 21:55   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

This is not an anime question; the thread should be in General Chat or something.

Also you didn't specify what platform you are using i.e., what sort of computer and what OS.

If you are using Windows, going to the Microsoft site and looking up "foreign language support" is the best way to start; you may need language packs etc.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 20:31   Link #3
sumo
がんばってください

Unhappy

Hey thats not nice besides i'm planning to use it not only for my self but also to begin subbing and translating. anyways i'm running Millenium and I.E. 6 also I heard of kanji kit but its too much money. I allready downloaded language support but all that does is display japanese characters
Old 2004-01-27, 20:44   Link #4
frowndog
Poof... time warp

go to http://www.njstar.com i'm sure they have japanese typing software there
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 22:07   Link #5
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo
Hey thats not nice besides i'm planning to use it not only for my self but also to begin subbing and translating. anyways i'm running Millenium and I.E. 6 also I heard of kanji kit but its too much money. I allready downloaded language support but all that does is display japanese characters
I don't get what it is about my post that you take exception to and I rather you not trouble yourself to enlighten me.

You do not need to buy new software to type Japanese on a computer running Windows Me.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...me/default.asp explains Windows Input Method Editor and has links to what you need.
Old 2004-01-28, 17:02   Link #6
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Wrong subforum.

-> Tech Support

Thread moved
Old 2004-01-28, 17:44   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Rider question:

I use Japanese Windows because...well it comes included in all computers from where I am from.

So, this question probably sounds stupid, but I am anxious to know because I never used English Windows:

So what I take it from this thread is that in English Windows (at least in 95/98/Me), you have to actually BUY a language pack just to make it to read and write Japanese?

hmm...if that is the case, it actually clarifies my mind why Japanese version of Windows OS and Microsoft softwares costs at least 1.5 times as much as what is sold in America...

But from what I remember from another thread is that it is possible to "activate" Asian language text support on 2000 and XP without the need of buying an extra pack (someone clarify?)

Well if my assumptions are correct, then you have several options:
A. Buy the language pack
B. Buy Japanese Windows (be fore-warned: EVERYTHING will be in Japanese)
C. Get Windows 2000/XP
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 17:52   Link #8
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

But from what I remember from another thread is that it is possible to "activate" Asian language text support on 2000 and XP without the need of buying an extra pack (someone clarify?)
I am using Xp ( you CAN active the language support in the Regional Language--> Language menu. either Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc etc~~ very well functioned. I type most of the Japaese there, and itz easy to use. ) You do not need to buy the extra pak if you have the xp cd/ pre-installed xp.
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 18:44   Link #9
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
So what I take it from this thread is that in English Windows (at least in 95/98/Me), you have to actually BUY a language pack just to make it to read and write Japanese?
On Windows 98 the only thing I could find was shareware, so that did cost money, but English Windows XP is functionally equivalent to Japanese Windows XP. You just have to install the Japanese support.

Windows XP is Unicode-based IIRC.
Old 2004-01-29, 03:06   Link #10
Ratshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
On Windows 98 the only thing I could find was shareware, so that did cost money, but English Windows XP is functionally equivalent to Japanese Windows XP. You just have to install the Japanese support.

Windows XP is Unicode-based IIRC.
Yes with 95 and 98 I used the IME editor and found it reliable enough, But with xp the built in unicode based IME works much better. Note if you run it you can even type Kanji in IRC , lots more fun that way. Find the IME at the link given out if you need it for ME, 98 or Gawd forbid 95.
I still have a copy of the IME executable someplace since I never trust MS to keep downloads easy to find if needed.
Ratshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 03:23   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The link I have posted is for FREE software from Microsoft that works on ALL MS OSs.

They seem to have omitted on the page that you have to select Japanese from the taskbar and then control-tilde within the document at the point where you want to start writing in Japanese before starting to type. That's the way to do it in XP anyway. If you want to go in and out of Japanese you have to keep going to the selector in the taskbar. For Notepad you have to make sure you are using MS Gothic or another font that is Japanese-compatible.

For those who never typed in Japanese on a US keyboard, you type in romaji one word at a time. Then the group of keystrokes is underlined. Right-click and you can choose different "spellings" (different kanji + hiragana endings or katakana or hiragana only).

Pressing Enter freezes that group of keystrokes and gets rid of the underline, freeing you to type the next word. If you mess up just select the group of characters and right-click again and reselect the "spelling" you want, then hit Enter again.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-29 at 15:20.
Old 2004-01-29, 14:47   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
The link I have posted is for FREE software from Microsoft that works on ALL MS OSs.

They seem to have omitted on the page that you have to select Japanese from the taskbar and then control-tilde within the document at the point where you want to start writing in Japanese before starting to type. That's the way to do it in XP anyway.
In Japanese Windows, we have several ways to change our typing language between Japanese and English:

A. If you are using a Japanese keyboard (which I really hate because of the small spacebar), there is a small key right next to the "Alt" keys that let's you convert between English, half-set kana, and full-set kana.

B. Or, if you are using a 101-US keyboard like most computer geeks here prefer to use, we use the shortcut command "Alt" + "~/`" (the key right above the "Tab" button)

C. Manually convert full-set kana to half-set English by use of mouse at the IME toolbar
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 16:16   Link #13
sumo
がんばってください

I really appreciate this you guys, to all those who helped and specially kj1980 for your idea

どもう ありがとう ございます njstar does the trick
Old 2004-01-30, 19:52   Link #14
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
If you are using a 101-US keyboard like most computer geeks here prefer to use, we use the shortcut command "Alt" + "~/`" (the key right above the "Tab" button)
Thanks for the tip! わは~