AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-03, 19:16   Link #221
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
P.S: I can't imagine Ryuuji would be so selfish as to ask her if he means more to her than her dreams...
Selflessness and selfishness aside, I can't imagine Ryuuji asking that period; that is unless he had already spent a substantial amount of time dating the girl, not just having a crush. He's too passive and too much of a laggard when he has to interact with anyone else other than Taiga and to some extent, Ami?
Old 2009-03-03, 19:35   Link #222
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
Selflessness and selfishness aside, I can't imagine Ryuuji asking that period; that is unless he had already spent a substantial amount of time dating the girl, not just having a crush. He's too passive and too much of a laggard when he has to interact with anyone else other than Taiga and to some extent, Ami?
We will see solid proof about Ryuuji's generosity... even if he were too passive, his generosity and sensibility is beyond the sky. He would never ask that, period.
Old 2009-03-03, 19:59   Link #223
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
We will see solid proof about Ryuuji's generosity... even if he were too passive, his generosity and sensibility is beyond the sky. He would never ask that, period.
How much of it is generosity and how much of it is yes ma'aming is what I'm starting to wonder however.

Edit: Doing nothing/following orders isn't really generosity.

Last edited by roan; 2009-03-03 at 20:25.
Old 2009-03-03, 20:00   Link #224
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
How much of it is generosity and how much of it is yes ma'aming is what I'm starting to wonder however.
You will see... and im not talking about Taiga... Ryuuji will show his generosity.
Old 2009-03-03, 20:01   Link #225
roan

I've already seen. Where "will" he show his generosity?
Old 2009-03-03, 20:08   Link #226
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm kinda curious, myself.

Old 2009-03-07, 00:10   Link #227
Tarepandax3

She confuses me a lot of the time XD, but I love her because of how cute she is =DD
Old 2009-03-21, 10:20   Link #228
wistfulloner

Minori's selflessness is just... unbearable to watch. It's really just heartbreaking, how her friends unintentionally took what was hers, and she insists that they keep it because they need it more than she does, then tanks all the misery it generated. I mean, who can do something like that; give up something one longs to have and still put up a strong front?

In EP24, she cheers on Ryuji to chase after Taiga, but after that regretfully kisses her fist, which had come into contact with Ryuji's lips. I shed a tear during that moment, it was too painful to see what she was giving up.

Fuck, if I ever befriend someone like that in life, I'll never let go of her.
Old 2009-03-21, 11:40   Link #229
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That scene was quite touching, actually. I didn't really tear up, but found it all quite beautiful to look at. I wonder how did it go in the novels...

Old 2009-03-21, 12:01   Link #230
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
That scene was quite touching, actually. I didn't really tear up, but found it all quite beautiful to look at. I wonder how did it go in the novels...
The novels was the exact opposite. Minori kissed her fist first, then put it in contact with Ryuji's lips, if I'm not wrong. It's quite a different meaning altogether, I guess, but I would imagine it being just as beautiful a moment.
Old 2009-03-24, 00:44   Link #231
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Does anyone think there's a reason to why Minori never reveals her ambitions to anyone.

We all know that the two reasons that Minori doesn't want to be in a relationship with Ryuuji is because she knows Taiga loves him, and her hopes to become a professional athlete. It's just like what happened with Kitamura and Sumire. The only question I have is why didn't she ever tell anyone that in the first place?

Is it different in the novel? One thing I had against the confrontation scene in Episode 23, was how Minori was claiming that her acts were "sacrificial." When it feels like, can it really be a sacrifice if no knows the significance?
Old 2009-03-24, 04:36   Link #232
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Why's there a need to advertise what you're giving up? Then, it stops being a sacrifice and becomes something akin to self-propaganda.

Old 2009-03-24, 10:51   Link #233
Taken

Quote:
We all know that the two reasons that Minori doesn't want to be in a relationship with Ryuuji is because she knows Taiga loves him, and her hopes to become a professional athlete. It's just like what happened with Kitamura and Sumire. The only question I have is why didn't she ever tell anyone that in the first place?
From ep 24, I think Minori can see that Ryuji likes Taiga as she has said. And I got to say that Minori is one of the more astute characters around. She actually sees through Ami's mask in the early episodes (see ep5 15:08 to 16:05 ). Another reason as she said was that she felt Taiga needed Ryuji more but she admitted she was being too presumptuous on her part.

I would think that while being a professional athlete was important to her, she also liked Ryuji a lot (ep 17 - 20 being most evident). What happened betweem Kitamura and Sumire was unfortunate, was that Sumire would never allow Kitamura to give up everything he had to follow her. Sumire also didn't believe in long distance relationship as well.

I think in the end why Minori opened up, confessed and told him her plans was because she believed that it was "game, set, match" and Ryuji has understood that the one he liked is Taiga.

As to why she didn't tell anyone, I guessed she didn't anyone who cared for her to dissuade her from working herself out. Imo she has always been the type that goes for the challenge (having tons of energy help) and always being positive about everything.
Old 2009-03-24, 11:10   Link #234
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

about why she never says. i think that has to do with what she said during the scene in the nurse office. i don't remember it completely, but it was something like

"when someone understands me, it brings/will bring me great joy"

Ryuji says the same thing in the novel when he almost gets hit by the car after ya chan feints. Look at Roan's spoiler in the novel section for more info.

I get the recurring theme, but Im not very good with this kind of stuff.

Relentlessflame? Would you care to comment on this theme?

Thanks
Old 2009-04-16, 08:14   Link #235
marcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
In EP24, she cheers on Ryuji to chase after Taiga, but after that regretfully kisses her fist, which had come into contact with Ryuji's lips. I shed a tear during that moment, it was too painful to see what she was giving up.

Fuck, if I ever befriend someone like that in life, I'll never let go of her.
Saw that over and over. The poor girl is really the most miserable char in the end. Perhaps a little because I became very friendly towards this char during the series, but I was really cheering on for something to happen between her and Ryuji, even if the ending was already decided since episode 1 (this was what I assumed).
Don't give me the thing about personality compatibilities or other issues. Almost everyone here is an adult that never gave up someone just because others say thing like "you don't suit him/her", or "you are very different, it will never work out". Relationships are also made of compromise and everyone knows about it.
I think that in episode 24 we see more of her than in the rest of the series. We see her confirm what she really feels, and also, it show more of how she really is.
One thing about this anime is the char reactions. Those faces they make upon seeing/hearing something. It's sometimes more effective (if done right) than hearing the thoughts or something like that. It can also leave some space for we to understand for ourselves the feelings of the chars. Like the face she made on the start of episode 24 when Ryuji says he's going after Taiga. Plain painful to watch. When I got many of these reactions throughout the series, I started to lean to her side, even knowing that it was not going to happen. I guess it made my experience of watching this anime much more interesting, even if I don't like the ending. But more painful as well. The damn girl is sad. And you know, wistfulloner? I agree with you: "Fuck, if I ever befriend someone like that in life, I'll never let go of her".
Old 2009-04-16, 09:23   Link #236
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

I'm really surprised they never went in depth into what was bothering her so much at the mid-point in the series. I mean, upon reflection it's pretty obvious, but that's something you'd expect to be very simply explained in the show rather (using flashbacks or whatever) rather than just thrown aside so that it can be noticed on the 2nd viewing of the show.

Probably the best character in the show, the most original, etc.
Old 2009-04-21, 00:48   Link #237
Ekul
Transdimensional phoenix

Am I the only one who sees something strange about her eyes? It seems like something isn't there... like a spark that's missing or something. It makes her smile seem empty and devoid.

I wonder if all of the jobs that she took on herself was a result of her crush on Ryuuji... Ryuuji always feels fulfilled when taking care of people, especially Taiga and his mother. I know she was saving up for college, but you hardly know Ryuuji unless you know of his work ethic. One discrepancy though is when she chooses softball over helping set up the tree. Well, it's just a theory anyway.
Old 2009-04-21, 15:27   Link #238
marcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
One discrepancy though is when she chooses softball over helping set up the tree.
Well, on that time she was avoiding him, so no hole on your theory for now...
Old 2009-04-21, 16:04   Link #239
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Minorin didn't actually become interested in Ryuuji until he started to spend time with her, I'm pretty sure.
Old 2009-04-21, 16:38   Link #240
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That makes two of us.

Closed Thread

Tags
characters, drama