AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 38.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 24.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 10.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.54%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-24, 13:43   Link #101
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I share the sentiment that this episode was too short! I was on the edge of my seat when Ohana opened the door of the wedding hall and suddenly it was over.
However I have to subtract one point for the illogical decision of sending Ohana to fetch Tooru. They should have tried calling the place. Failing that, it would have been much faster to have Jiroumaru drive her to the hall with the inn's truck (if you don't trust Jiro to persuade Tooru to get back). They would've been short of two employees but what does Jiro do anyway?
Alternatively, Ohana could have taken Minko's place in the kitchen, since she is capable of cooking, while Minko rushed to Tooru. There were many better options to solve the situation but the writer choose to send Ohana for the sake of drama. Still a very nice episode, 9/10.
I do agree about what else could've been done better. I didn't think abotu Jiro driving her to see Tooru, but I seriously thought that Ohana would take his place in the kitchen. Tho I doubt that Minko would've appreciated that either because that meant Ohana was gonna show she was the better cook compared to the one who had every intention of becoming an actual chef. Still, she got mad at how Ohana went after Tooru anyways

All in all, however, this was another fantastic ep that showed just how far Ohana would go for the sake of the inn. It really looks like working for the sake of something and with other people really helped her grow into who she is. She's certainly a far cry from who she was at the beginning of the series. The fact she's racing on her own to find help means that she's admitting that she can't do everything on her own, a stark contrast with how she was before. On top of that, she's seeking Tooru's help, the same guy who questioned her about her ability to be able to do everything herself before. Really wanted to see what was gonna happen as she opened the door to the hall, but we'll see again next week
Old 2011-05-24, 19:42   Link #102
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

wow, i didn't expected a cliffhanger will be the ending of this episode after Ohana open the door. The ED song was the background music that left me hanging off..

HALA MADRID!
Old 2011-05-25, 04:44   Link #103
Spartanz1170

Spoiler for Episode 8.:
Old 2011-05-25, 05:16   Link #104
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
eh... the ED song used for this episode is the same song used for one of the anime's PV's:

Old 2011-05-25, 05:38   Link #105
revive4563

Spoiler for duplicate:

oh, I just realized that I thought this song is kinda familiar because of this PV.
Old 2011-05-26, 04:21   Link #106
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I find this one much better than the last episode. I don't even remember what it was, oh yeah, one with the survivalist. This episode gave all the characters enough screen time and even develop the main character further. Maybe it's just me but I like how Ohana's oblivious about the situation but she has that good intention and enthusiasm to do her best. I find her lines funny. She's just like a classic main character from Shoujo title. I still hard to find that she's just a teenager. All the girls around her act like teenagers.
Old 2011-05-28, 19:52   Link #107
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Aw man, we're back to normal Hanairo episodes.

Yet, I enjoy when the writers pump up the drama level. Can the story get more intense than having the Madam Manager collapse on the floor due to old age, yet still having the voice to yell at Ohana for not thinking about the inn and it's customers? Maybe, but I'm happy with this level of drama. I really didn't feel much sympathy for Ohana's ailing grandmother; she does turn away Ohana and states she will be fine with never being visited on her potentially last days of life. But, I admire Ohana's obedience to obey her grandmother's wishes. The old Ohana would have probably stayed at the hospital.

Mr. Ren. You have lost all my respect, but you gained a little bit of my laughter when you cut the cabbage at the speed of sloth. I guess Tohru will be succeeding you faster than I expected.

Episode 8 Rating: 8.50000001/10 (So it's closer to 9 for the poll)
Old 2011-05-28, 20:14   Link #108
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
she does turn away Ohana and states she will be fine with never being visited on her potentially last days of life.
I don't think it's stated anywhere that Grandma is on the verge of dying here.

It might come off as a shock, but often Old People have to go to the hospital.
Old 2011-05-28, 20:34   Link #109
Unknown Soldier
:D

It was stated pretty clearly in the episode that this had happened to Grandma several times before and nothing in particular had come of it, other than being diagnosed as Old. Once the doctors confirmed to Grandma that she was in fact still Old, she could feel pretty confident about telling Ohana to go and take care of things at the inn knowing she wasn't going to suddenly croak while lying in the hospital bed.

The best part was when Chef Ren-san said 'nya'. :3
Old 2011-05-28, 21:08   Link #110
revive4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The best part was when Chef Ren-san said 'nya'. :3
and I thought two girls' reaction was too quick just like routine.
Old 2011-05-28, 22:06   Link #111
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I don't think it's stated anywhere that Grandma is on the verge of dying here.
No one ever explicitly stated she was dying. When you're at a certain old age and have frequent collapses and therefore frequent visits to the hospital... you should be prepared to pass away soon.

Indeed, it's very likely Ohana's grandmother's condition will deteriorate to the point where the doctors will diagnose her with limited time to live. Around episode 20, I would guess.
Old 2011-05-29, 06:10   Link #112
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
No one ever explicitly stated she was dying. When you're at a certain old age and have frequent collapses and therefore frequent visits to the hospital... you should be prepared to pass away soon.
Not if you're a Japanese woman whose only 68.

Quote:
JAPANESE women are expected to live almost 86.5 years, topping the world longevity ratings for the 25th straight year, the government has reported.
Now given that this is a fictional work, act of plot could demand almost anything to happen. But it IS kind of disingenuous to act like Grandma should be preparing for death imminently as a certainty.
Old 2011-05-29, 11:18   Link #113
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Many Japanese women live far above and far below the average. Consider how many of those Japanese women die of strokes, heart attacks, seizures, and other ailing conditions, like the one Ohana's grandmother currently has.

Quote:
Now given that this is a fictional work, act of plot could demand almost anything to happen. But it IS kind of disingenuous to act like Grandma should be preparing for death imminently as a certainty.
Sure, from your young point of view. You can expect to live tomorrow, the next week, or even an entire year without any foreseeable lethal complications. Being old is not enough to warrant discussion of death, but collapsing frequently and constantly going to the hospital is anything but a hopeful sign for the future. If you choose to ignore the obvious symptoms, then you'll be all the more shocked when she does actually die later in the season.
Old 2011-05-29, 16:08   Link #114
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Sure, from your young point of view. You can expect to live tomorrow, the next week, or even an entire year without any foreseeable lethal complications. Being old is not enough to warrant discussion of death, but collapsing frequently and constantly going to the hospital is anything but a hopeful sign for the future. If you choose to ignore the obvious symptoms, then you'll be all the more shocked when she does actually die later in the season.
I tend not to try to play house regarding unknown medical conditions afflicting fictional characters

It's not that I think it's impossible for Grandma to die. I'm mainly digging at the *Grandma IS GOING TO DIE so should spend every waking moment with Ohana regardless of work place concerns*.
Old 2011-05-29, 21:47   Link #115
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
and I thought two girls' reaction was too quick just like routine.
I'm pretty sure there was a pause there before they reacted. I'll have to watch the scene again to be certain.
Closed Thread