AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2009-12-28, 22:21   Link #221
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Yes, this is the time when we can finally see another studio rise to the top OTHER THAN KyoAni. Thank goodness.
You realize the irony of you saying this when you have Mai in your sig, right?

Furthermore, this is PA "rising to the top" because it's ripping off KyoAni's most popular and well-known series... that's not very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only warning flag I saw was the part where three girls were randomly playing guitar on stage. Do we really need a music based segment in every show now? (Note, I know not every show does this.)
Yeah, that's definitely one. They mentioned the band early on, and that, aside from everyone being dead, was the major warning flag for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStrike View Post
Key's always got good storylines
I agree, music seems good. they seem to have made her less haruhi (compared to the sketches) at least
Only the colors are different... she still looks (and appears to act) rather a lot like Haruhi.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 22:29   Link #222
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You realize the irony of you saying this when you have Mai in your sig, right?

Furthermore, this is PA "rising to the top" because it's ripping off KyoAni's most popular and well-known series... that's not very impressive.

Yeah, that's definitely one. They mentioned the band early on, and that, aside from everyone being dead, was the major warning flag for me.

Only the colors are different... she still looks (and appears to act) rather a lot like Haruhi.
How is it ironic? I LOVE Key, but dislike KyoAni's reputation because I think that they're overrated. That doesn't mean that I would hate all Key-based media made by KyoAni. I still liked Toei's versions of Key's anime/movies as well.

With all the characters out there. What CAN'T be at least a reference to the other anymore? And taking designs doesn't make it unimpressive. It's what they do with the designs and characters that makes it count. If they actually copy 100 percent as Haruhi's character but change faces/uniform for obv. reasons, then maybe we have a problem.

But so far, it seems to be a dark story, to me that's a good point already.

Now, to avoid FURTHER vibes of Haruhi. I really hope that Aya to NOT voice Yurippe and Tomokazu to NOT voice the main character.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.

Last edited by blitz1/2; 2009-12-28 at 22:44.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 22:29   Link #223
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
It isn't like they are pulling a Disney. She just looks like Haruhi with the band and hair length. I think it will pull it's own weight and be original.

The animation looks fantastic and the music is beautiful. I can not wait to see how this turns out. I see baseball XD Maeda sure loves his baseball >.>

Oh no gasp a band scene! Can't have that! 0_0 Despite some things being similiar I get no vibes at all from Haruhi what so ever.

I do not see the characters acting like Haruhi or Yuki too many differences.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 22:41   Link #224
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
I think this is getting attention more for the staff than the Haruhi-lookalike.
Old 2009-12-28, 23:32   Link #225
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm just in it because it's anime-first and the director has worked on two of my favorite zany comedies. And where you find zany, you'll find me.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 00:03   Link #226
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
With all the characters out there. What CAN'T be at least a reference to the other anymore?
Yeah, no, that's a horrible argument. Originality isn't as dead as people make it out to be, and this really looks like they just took Haruhi's design and changed the colors around.

If it was just her personality that was similar, fine, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Oh no gasp a band scene! Can't have that! 0_0 Despite some things being similiar I get no vibes at all from Haruhi what so ever.
And I see what is a Haruhi clone with stock characters lifted from Key's works and set in the 'afterlife'.

Perception is great, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I think this is getting attention more for the staff than the Haruhi-lookalike.
Very correct, I apologize.

Maeda sounded so enthusiastic about his terrible premise, too.

Well, I realize that given his writing ability it should turn out pretty decent, but whenever I watch that trailer it's like there's these big warning signs plastered all over it saying DANGER, DANGER.
Old 2009-12-29, 00:17   Link #227
ZODDGUTS

Yeah, how bout we wait at least till the first ep comes out before calling it a rip off. Geez hyperbole much?
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 00:21   Link #228
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Yeah, how bout we wait at least till the first ep comes out before calling it a rip off. Geez hyperbole much?
I'm not saying the plot is going to be a ripoff, I'm merely saying that Yurippe is, design-wise, a clear Haruhi ripoff.

Additionally, the group she heads is apparently referred to as the "SSS Group"... that can't be a coincidence.

I know absolutely nothing about this show, and I recognize that. I am only apprehensive about something that looks good but might well end up terrible.

Sorry for being bothersome.
Old 2009-12-29, 01:33   Link #229
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
And I see what is a Haruhi clone with stock characters lifted from Key's works and set in the 'afterlife'.

Perception is great, eh?
I'm perceptive I just think I've seen worse rip-offs before. *cough disney*

I will wait to see what happens, seeing it moving pushed some of my doubts away. It seems more like Canaan inspired to me. I also hope Yurippe will not be like Haruhi's personality. Could be homage to Haruhi perhaps *shrugs* it isn't like anyone is denying anything. Some things like the SSS is quite obvious to me.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:22   Link #230
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I know absolutely nothing about this show, and I recognize that. I am only apprehensive about something that looks good but might well end up terrible.

Sorry for being bothersome.
Well, it's not as if everyone isn't aware of the giant question mark that is this anime-original show. But just keep in mind that not everyone has the stereotypical-pessimist's need to "approach with caution to avoid disappointment", and you don't need to save people from their optimism by throwing cold water on it all the time. It's not really going to help, because optimists are also the way they are to protect themselves from the reality of disappointments. All we can say for sure at this point is that some will love it, some will hate it, and some will fall somewhere in between. How many fall in each category remains to be seen.

As for the accusations of "rip-off", though... it's only a "rip-off" if it isn't a parody. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm thinking this will be rather full of parody. Time will tell...
Old 2009-12-29, 08:52   Link #231
Leo Keichi

So Yuri leads a club called SSS? Now I admit, this is definitely a parody.

This anime will have comedy, and moe, and drama, and action. Looks like too much for only 13 episodes. I get the feeling this is going to be a case of hit or miss, but the main focus may be in the game or manga, and they may treat the anime more like a complement.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 17:24   Link #232
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
I get the feeling this is going to be a case of hit or miss, but the main focus may be in the game or manga, and they may treat the anime more like a complement.
Well, there is no game, and the illustrated short stories in Dengeki G's are definitely not the "main focus". They've been consistently pushing the anime as the main thing. Again, we'll see.
Old 2009-12-30, 01:48   Link #233
Keefer

after seeing the latest trailer, I must say the animation and music is AWESOME. Now I really can't wait to watch it.
Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 02:45   Link #234
Dazarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
I think I watched that trailer way too many times. I'm quite hyped for the series.
Dazarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 03:20   Link #235
Kunagisa

I hated all other Key's work (massive emo is not my cup of tea, and I hate moeblobs), but probably going to watch this one just cause how spectacular the trailer was and anything with Aniplex in it has NEVER failed me ever.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 00:06   Link #236
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

I would disagree and just go ahead and say you don't like drama >.> emo being something else. It has the minus moe points but Maeda is writing so obvious drama will follow.
Old 2009-12-31, 04:59   Link #237
iceyfw

wow just caught up with the latest news and trailer concerning this project and it seems solid to me so far. i'd expect this to keep me entertained with Key, Aniplex, P.A. Works, and G's Magazine working together on this.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 08:37   Link #238
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Managed to finally catch the latest trailer and it looks absolutely fantastic. You'd hope it'd be so, considering the production companies who are a part of this. Looking forward to April already!
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 18:56   Link #239
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
So Yuri leads a club called SSS? Now I admit, this is definitely a parody.

This anime will have comedy, and moe, and drama, and action. Looks like too much for only 13 episodes. I get the feeling this is going to be a case of hit or miss, but the main focus may be in the game or manga, and they may treat the anime more like a complement.
SSS Group - SOS Brigade

Yuri really looks like Haruhi, but not 100 % though,

P.A. Works is now rising to the top with Kyoani,

Yuri looks like Haruhi,

Angel looks like Nagato,

I really like the animation and the music,

Can't wait to watch this anime!
SealkidHaruhiism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 20:20   Link #240
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I just hope everyone who watches this will go into it with a fresh mind, and not constantly comparing it to Haruhi - because seriously, that's getting old and annoying now.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key