4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-02, 06:16   Link #61
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

In my opinion, the Muszell helmet helped to train Asemu's concentration. Since the helmet operates by sending signals to the pilot, he is forced to concentrate in order to react to the "moment" for attack.

And I also doubt X-Rounders are born with their ability. Some external trigger is needed to unlock their potential. Flit had Yurin. And perhaps the trigger for Asemu is the helmet itself.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:23   Link #62
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
oh god the troll subs of April fools have returned!! be sure to check out the GundamInfo's version instead
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:34   Link #63
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
In my opinion, the Muszell helmet helped to train Asemu's concentration. Since the helmet operates by sending signals to the pilot, he is forced to concentrate in order to react to the "moment" for attack.

And I also doubt X-Rounders are born with their ability. Some external trigger is needed to unlock their potential. Flit had Yurin. And perhaps the trigger for Asemu is the helmet itself.
Not likely. Near the end of the episode when Woolf is talking to him, he tries to convince him to hone his actual skills instead of trying to become an X-Rounder.

Anyone else notice that Woolf is way more of a father to Asemu than Flit is? Flit just talks down to him and says he's disappointed, etc. Woolf actually takes the time to explain to him why the choices he's making are bad, what he should try doing instead, etc.

Being an unlikable jerk seems to run in the Asuno family... (Besides also being misogynistic... Notice how he doesn't expect anything out of his daughter? Apparently hundreds of years into the future, misogyny still rules?)
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 07:03   Link #64
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Anyone else notice that Woolf is way more of a father to Asemu than Flit is? Flit just talks down to him and says he's disappointed, etc. Woolf actually takes the time to explain to him why the choices he's making are bad, what he should try doing instead, etc.
No. Again I say Flit is the father and Woolf is the bro. This is a cultural thing - in oriental cultures the father never acts like a friend like in the west, Flit is pretty much the stereotypical father in Japan/Asia, except *still* nicer than most. As some has pointed out if Flit threw Asemu into the brink instead of sitting by the bed side to wait for him to wake up I would say Flit is an asshole, but his actions is completely stereotypical of a hardass Asian father, worried but never says it out (hence why sitting by his bed to wait for him to recover), and the first thing that comes out of the mouth is always criticism. And again the level of crap Asemu gets away with is actually quite a lot for a professional soldier in Gundam history.

Ever heard of the meme of the Asian father/Asian family? You've failed enough even if you get an A-.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 08:39   Link #65
Bashfulz
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Ever heard of the meme of the Asian father/Asian family? You've failed enough even if you get an A-.
makes quite a bit of sense there.. and Asemu got a D for his X-rounder abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Elisha could be a red herring, but she's in the bridge of the only Gundam equiped ship in the EFF and the main vegan supercarrier did showed up at Nortram, probably to counter the waiting Amadeus fleet. Plus Elisha has a big time seiyuu, Ayako Kawasumi.
where did all this talk about Elisha being the spy come out from? I didn't notice anything odd from this episode.
Bashfulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:14   Link #66
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashfulz View Post
where did all this talk about Elisha being the spy come out from? I didn't notice anything odd from this episode.
On the Bridge Flit was discussing about the Vagan's movements and Elisha in her head said, "So that's why we left the colony in a hurry"

It's possible that she's a mole BUT not for the Vagan but for another party.

Quote:
You need to understand Flit's position.

Flit is his father but at the same time he's his superior officer (and a high ranking one) so he cannot show emotions nor give any "favours" to Asemu. He has to put the "mission" and the "army" first. Flit is correct though, the whole thing could've gone bad and it would've put everyone in a bad situation.

You see this in movies and TV shows where the military is involved. A lieutenant calls his brother by his first name but his brother reprimands him by stating that he's a colonel and must address him by sir and colonel.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:43   Link #67
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
And again the level of crap Asemu gets away with is actually quite a lot for a professional soldier in Gundam history.
Asemu would be discharged with his attitude and action by now instead of the light punishments that he has been getting.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:50   Link #68
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You see this in movies and TV shows where the military is involved. A lieutenant calls his brother by his first name but his brother reprimands him by stating that he's a colonel and must address him by sir and colonel.

From Wikiquote:

Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Ye- Don't call me Lawrence.
Lt. Thomas Chamberlain: Darn it, Lawrence, I'm your brother.
Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Well, just be careful about the name business in front of the men, alright? Just because you're my brother- It looks like favoritism.
Lt. Thomas Chamberlain: God Almighty, General Meade's got his own son as his aide-de-camp.
Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Well, that's different. Generals can do anything. Nothing quite so much like God on Earth as a general on a battlefield.
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 12:17   Link #69
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
From Wikiquote:

Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Ye- Don't call me Lawrence.
Lt. Thomas Chamberlain: Darn it, Lawrence, I'm your brother.
Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Well, just be careful about the name business in front of the men, alright? Just because you're my brother- It looks like favoritism.
Lt. Thomas Chamberlain: God Almighty, General Meade's got his own son as his aide-de-camp.
Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Well, that's different. Generals can do anything. Nothing quite so much like God on Earth as a general on a battlefield.
To be frank that didn't make much sense to me.

Even if your the supreme commander you shouldn't be doing that at all period. Afterall leaders are suppose to set examples.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 12:40   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post

Being an unlikable jerk seems to run in the Asuno family... (Besides also being misogynistic... Notice how he doesn't expect anything out of his daughter? Apparently hundreds of years into the future, misogyny still rules?)

Why would he expect his daughter to join the military or whatever? How is anything Flit has ever done let alone this episode been misogynistic in any form and where the heck are people getting this whole Flit is an evil terrible person stuff from of late? To me his motivations and actions have been a fair bit more complex than the standard asshole father that hates his son and has selfish goals thing? It's like people are trying to paint Flit out to be a Gendo Ikari type when he's really not.

Not getting the Gundam fan base again these days but then what else is new. I'd almost swear that people aren't used to seeing set character flaws in main characters anymore, though given how bland a lot of character development is in most anime these days I suppose that wouldn't be surprising. Like Flit is a flawed character at this point, he has good motivations, but they are clouded by his hatred for the Vagan and how they ruined his life. I don't see how that makes him a terrible character so much as one that has succumbed to a very easy to make mistake of letting his emotions and personal experiences overpower his strong desire for justice and to protect the Earth Sphere and people in it he cares about.

If there's one thing I've learned from watching Gundam series for about 15 years now it's that while for the most part it's easy to root for the main characters and they often fulfill the traits of a hero type, there are going to come times when the main characters do something really rash and you're going to want to slap them for it (even LOGH has this believe it or not), but more often than not they come out of it a better man. Sometimes you have to learn by making mistakes after all and frankly I'd rather have a main character that's mostly likeable and has good intentions but also has a set of character flaws to overcome (ie. Kamille and his general anger from poor upbringing) than someone who is always right and never makes mistakes or exhibits any sort of real flawed judgment (ie. Kira in Gundam Seed Destiny) or is so rash and motivated by pure selfish emotion as to be all but entirely impossible to root for or like (ie. Shin from Gundam Seed Destiny).

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-04-02 at 12:55.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 13:04   Link #71
Meltyred

I just realised that Decil acted the same way in this episode after he got back to the ship, saying how he should be stronger blah blah blah, like when Spallow defeated his remote controlled Zedas.
Lol, cold sleep giving him 7 year old mentality.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 13:23   Link #72
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:

You need to understand Flit's position.

Flit is his father but at the same time he's his superior officer (and a high ranking one) so he cannot show emotions nor give any "favours" to Asemu. He has to put the "mission" and the "army" first. Flit is correct though, the whole thing could've gone bad and it would've put everyone in a bad situation.

That would be fine and dandy if he didn't already show favoritism towards him, a fact that everybody in the EFF seems to know. In real life equipment is assigned based on merit and skill. You don't see a rookie pilot flying the latest 20 billion dollar fighter, no,that goes to the pilot with thousands of flight hours, many of which in combat situations. Woolf is a better pilot than Asemu, has plenty more combat experience, and as such, he should be the Gundam's pilot. If AGE was any realistic, Woolf would pilot the Gundam, Obright the Adele, and Arisa, Max and Asemu would pilot Genoace II's or Shaldolls. All it comes down to is common sense, who is more likely to buy the farm, the guy with 20+ years of combat experience, or the rookies fresh out of the academy? Obviously Woolf and Obright are more likely to make it through, so you'd want them to pilot the best machines, and the noobs to pilot the shitty ones, because if they get killed, you've only lost inferior machines. Flit is a hypocritical piece of shit for lecturing Asemu about proper protocol and endangering everybody else because he himself has shown favortism with Asemu and broken protocol, endangering the crew of the Diva and the Federation as a whole. Had Zeheart not been a softie and spared Asemu, or had flit been a few seconds late in laer episodes Asemu would be dead, the Gundam and the Federations only trump card against the Vagans lost.

Movies and TV shows are very unrealistic when it comes to the military, so take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 2012-04-02, 13:33   Link #73
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
That would be fine and dandy if he didn't already show favoritism towards him, a fact that everybody in the EFF seems to know. In real life equipment is assigned based on merit and skill. You don't see a rookie pilot flying the latest 20 billion dollar fighter, no,that goes to the pilot with thousands of flight hours, many of which in combat situations. Woolf is a better pilot than Asemu, has plenty more combat experience, and as such, he should be the Gundam's pilot. If AGE was any realistic, Woolf would pilot the Gundam, Obright the Adele, and Arisa, Max and Asemu would pilot Genoace II's or Shaldolls. All it comes down to is common sense, who is more likely to buy the farm, the guy with 20+ years of combat experience, or the rookies fresh out of the academy? Obviously Woolf and Obright are more likely to make it through, so you'd want them to pilot the best machines, and the noobs to pilot the shitty ones, because if they get killed, you've only lost inferior machines. Flit is a hypocritical piece of shit for lecturing Asemu about proper protocol and endangering everybody else because he himself has shown favortism with Asemu and broken protocol, endangering the crew of the Diva and the Federation as a whole. Had Zeheart not been a softie and spared Asemu, or had flit been a few seconds late in laer episodes Asemu would be dead, the Gundam and the Federations only trump card against the Vagans lost.

Movies and TV shows are very unrealistic when it comes to the military, so take it all with a grain of salt.
Gundam doesn't exhibit total realism in all aspects, who knew? I must carefully digest and carefully consider this important bit of information.
Old 2012-04-02, 13:48   Link #74
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Gundam doesn't exhibit total realism in all aspects, who knew? I must carefully digest and carefully consider this important bit of information.
Save the irony and sarcasm. Just because something is a work of fiction doesn't mean there needs to be total suspension of disbelief. I am of the opinion that a truly good story is the one where you are immersed in it, never having to question things as they happen. Of course there no such thing as a perfect story, but the less there are, the better. AGE unfortunately is plagued by plot elements that simply don't make any sense, i.e Zeheart sneaking into the colony in a red mobile suit unseen, and hiding it in a lake that just so happens to be where he'll confront Asemu. Maybe you are OK with the story being the equivalent of a children's bed time story, and that's your thing, but I personally dislike it because it is not Gundam, sorry if you don't like my opinion.
Old 2012-04-02, 13:59   Link #75
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
To be frank that didn't make much sense to me.

Even if your the supreme commander you shouldn't be doing that at all period. Afterall leaders are suppose to set examples.
That's probably so... But if you're the general/supreme commander, you obviously have more room to show favoritism (at least, few would are to call you out on it ). And it seems to work this way for Flit, at least, since as others have pointed out, the way he treats Asemu is - or comes dangerously close to - favoritism...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 14:17   Link #76
X207
Gamyūsa

im just skimming these pages as to avoid spoiling the ep but is there a version that isnt an april fools joke with intentional inacuracies. such as messing with Dique's name, the term x-rounder, switchiing to portugese etc? i cant stand to watch the version i found atm.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 14:47   Link #77
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Save the irony and sarcasm. Just because something is a work of fiction doesn't mean there needs to be total suspension of disbelief. I am of the opinion that a truly good story is the one where you are immersed in it, never having to question things as they happen. Of course there no such thing as a perfect story, but the less there are, the better. AGE unfortunately is plagued by plot elements that simply don't make any sense, i.e Zeheart sneaking into the colony in a red mobile suit unseen, and hiding it in a lake that just so happens to be where he'll confront Asemu. Maybe you are OK with the story being the equivalent of a children's bed time story, and that's your thing, but I personally dislike it because it is not Gundam, sorry if you don't like my opinion.
Yeah to be honest I don't really share your opinion, I find it to be one formed by extreme views on the shows and just finding stuff to nitpick and it just typifies what I've come to see as the typical impossible to please aspect of the Gundam fanbase in this age. For the record I don't find anything you've mentioned to be a show killing flaw that completely takes me out of it (although rest assured I have noticed these things and questioned them) and I feel the need to visit a forum to complain about for a week. This is because honestly every Gundam show I've ever seen has some inconsistencies like this where they forgo the realism for the sake of allowing the character drama and while it's hardly a perfect way of dealing with it it's something I've come to accept since they aren't totally wasting time and the show is still enjoyable for it.

I also continue to not share your desire to just gripe endlessly about every flaw the series has otherwise I'd literally never be happy with Gundam ever like so many other Gundam fans with that sort of attitude. There's enough shitty go nowhere anime out there that when I find something that I even have a modest chance of enjoying and that actually uses it's time well I'm going to take it and forgive the minor things for the sake of my own enjoyment of the product. It's about choosing the things to go all about and the things to laugh off.

Also your children's bed time story metaphor might actually work, but only in the case of German bed time stories that are about scaring the shit out of your children and/or scarring them for life in order to build character and responsibility. Gundam AGE has that sort of thing down pretty well.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-04-02 at 15:03.
Old 2012-04-02, 15:01   Link #78
Ruby Princess

I am a Gundam.
Ruby Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:07   Link #79
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara the Mahou Shojo View Post
I am a Gundam.
Are not, your name isn't Setsuna F Seiei
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:07   Link #80
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Asemu would be discharged with his attitude and action by now instead of the light punishments that he has been getting.
Yeah, although we know this is Gundam so it's tradition that the protagonist gets away with a lot of crap. My point though is that even in terms of Gundam Asemu is getting away with a lot - if he was in a Tomino Gundam he would've been Bright Slapped a couple of times already and not just get what is in comparison a fairly mild daddy talk.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion