AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 13:04   Link #41
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That's a Weasley for you.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:52   Link #42
Vegard Aune

I saw this movie back on the European premiere, but I never noticed this thread before now, so I haven't had a chance to comment on it...

I thought it was great. I mean, sure, they changed some details from the book and I rather missed Dumbledore's backstory, and Neville's big moment didn't feel quite as impressive as the book, but really, after seven movies, I'm used to them changing stuff by now. And this movie certainly fared a lot better both as an adaptation and as a film on its own rights than some of the others did...

...And with that in mind, I think I'm gonna comment on what I felt about the previous films as well:

Spoiler for Just trying to save space...:

And I'd say DH Part 2 was a worthy ending to the whole thing, even if the epilogue was a bit ridiculous in how blatantly obvious it was that they had 20-year-olds playing 36-year-olds. I have to applaud one thing about the epilogue though; The use of "Leaving Hogwarts" from the end of the very first movie as the background music. That track was always one of my favourite pieces, and I had always hoped they'd use it again at the very end of the series... And they did! Cheesiness and very poor attempts at making the kids look older notwithstanding, the music itself almost brought me to tears.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:56   Link #43
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Two days ago I agreed to watch my 12 year old niece for my Uncle. In under 20 hours I watched the first 7 movies. Last night she pleaded with me to take her to this one. In under 48 hours I watched them age 10 years. Whoever said time flies was right, lol.

I read the first four books back in the 90s, but never got around to reading anymore. However, the movies were okay. The early ones were harder for me to watch, because of how childish they were, but as they progressed, they got more mature. Overall I enjoyed the films. I am sure Warner Bros. has too. To date the series has grossed 7.4 billion USD. Highest grossing series ever.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 10:41   Link #44
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Two days ago I agreed to watch my 12 year old niece for my Uncle. In under 20 hours I watched the first 7 movies. Last night she pleaded with me to take her to this one. In under 48 hours I watched them age 10 years. Whoever said time flies was right, lol.
Wow. You know, after all that, I'm surprised you were even willing to watch the last one at all. I'd reckon watching 7 Harry Potter-films in a single day would make one utterly fed up with the whole thing before even finishing the fourth one...

Of course, that is disregarding the fact that at least two of my friends actually did just that-- Our local movie-theater actually had a special showing of all seven films back-to-back about a week before the last one came out, and someone I knew actually went to that... She mentioned on Facebook that the air got REALLY bad throughout the event, but everyone apparently had a great time regardless.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:04   Link #45
TigerII
Pilot in Training

It is what she wanted. I will say it will be a while before I do anything Potter again(Not like there will be anything. Since the books and films are over, nothing new to do).
Old 2011-08-10, 09:22   Link #46
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It is what she wanted. I will say it will be a while before I do anything Potter again(Not like there will be anything. Since the books and films are over, nothing new to do).
Actually there is Pottermore
Old 2011-08-10, 11:41   Link #47
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Actually there is Pottermore

Yes, but is that actually adding anything new? I thought it was just a recap, play as a witch, and some behind the scenes stuff? Nothing new like what happened after end of 7th book, etc.?
Old 2011-08-10, 12:01   Link #48
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Our local movie-theater actually had a special showing of all seven films back-to-back about a week before the last one came out, and someone I knew actually went to that... She mentioned on Facebook that the air got REALLY bad throughout the event, but everyone apparently had a great time regardless.

I know exactly what you mean. I went to a sci-fi marathon once (two entire days actually) which included the first three Star Wars films and all the Star Trek films, which at that time was up to Star Trek IV among various other films. The air was rank by the second day, but it was quite an experience.
Old 2011-08-10, 13:13   Link #49
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yes, but is that actually adding anything new? I thought it was just a recap, play as a witch, and some behind the scenes stuff? Nothing new like what happened after end of 7th book, etc.?
Well as far as I know, there are some extra/changed things regarding the first 7 books, but no, there isn't anything after book 7, and honestly, I'd rather have it that way. Writing about what happened during that 19 year gap or Harry's kids' adventures at Hogwarts would devalue the series in my opinion.
Old 2011-08-10, 13:18   Link #50
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Well as far as I know, there are some extra/changed things regarding the first 7 books, but no, there isn't anything after book 7, and honestly, I'd rather have it that way. Writing about what happened during that 19 year gap or Harry's kids' adventures at Hogwarts would devalue the series in my opinion.
You mean how if something happened, the whole all was well statement would be wrong. Yeah, I see your point.
Old 2011-08-10, 13:24   Link #51
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You mean how if something happened, the whole all was well statement would be wrong. Yeah, I see your point.
Well not exactly. I mean the "All was well" statement only pertains to Harry, it doesn't necessarily mean that his children wouldn't have interesting adventures as well. What I mean is that writing a sequel would be a slippery slope. It's very easy to ruin a series if one overextends it, which will eventually lead readers to lose interest due to repetitive content, etc.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:32   Link #52
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
'' Meh ''

Is what I thought when I saw the final battle. I was expecting something more epic.. Not just beam vs beam for a while and then Harry overcoming Voldemort's beam and him just .. crumbling and fading away.

Also the end was not really... believable. They looked nothing like people in their 30's. Good movie in overall but really, I was hoping for something more epic.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:34   Link #53
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
'' Meh ''

Is what I thought when I saw the final battle. I was expecting something more epic.. Not just beam vs beam for a while and then Harry overcoming Voldemort's beam and him just .. crumbling and fading away.

Also the end was not really... believable. They looked nothing like people in their 30's. Good movie in overall but really, I was hoping for something more epic.

I was surprised by the fact that CGI was not used to age them, or at least makeup. It isn't that hard to make someone in their 20s, look in their 30s.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:35   Link #54
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Well not exactly. I mean the "All was well" statement only pertains to Harry, it doesn't necessarily mean that his children wouldn't have interesting adventures as well. What I mean is that writing a sequel would be a slippery slope. It's very easy to ruin a series if one overextends it, which will eventually lead readers to lose interest due to repetitive content, etc.

I agree with that. Stories need endings. One of my big gripes is film, literature, and especially video games(Really bad about it) going on for longer than they should. Good stories need an end. Without it, it isn't a story.
Old 2011-08-10, 17:19   Link #55
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
'' Meh ''

Well you know, the book was just them talking to each other for three pages before Harry and Voldemort cast their curses at the exact same time, and Voldemort's killing-curse backfired causing him to drop dead on the spot. Sure, the film ultimately had the same conclusion, (except Voldemort's body disintegrating on the spot for some odd reason...) but at least there was a battle in the film, not just Harry explaining in close detail exactly how Voldemort wouldn't be able to kill him only for Voldemort to stupidly try it anyway and immediately die from it.
Old 2012-08-03, 10:28   Link #56
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

It's so funny and... brilliant!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The cast is just amazing
Old 2013-04-08, 05:37   Link #57
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Richard Griffiths also known as Vernon Dursley in Harry Potter movies died at March 28 due the complications from heart surgery.

R.I.P

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...ry-potter-dies