AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2007-09-25, 02:15   Link #1421
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
Lulz, it would be funny if the 360 becama like the PS2 and gets all the VN ports. It would be popular in Japan for the Visual Novels, and in America it'd be popular for almost the exact opposite genre (violent twitch shooters). I have noticed some companies in Japan have been trying to make it popular there by releasing games like Idolmaster, this is probably another one of those moves.
The XBox 360 is also way easier to port PC games to, since it's also very PC-based, unlike the PS3, so for small-time companies like Visual Novel companies, the xbox 360 could be the cheapest option they have. And the xbox line is more popular now than it was back then when Microsoft only just entered the console market.

xbox 360's still very unpopular compared to the PS3 though in Japan, I believe, but the question is whether it's because of brand loyalty or because the xbox 360 mainly has games that never really appealed to the Japanese, such as violent FPS games and such. If it's the second, the visual novel ports should help raise the 360's presence in Japan.
Old 2007-09-25, 12:43   Link #1422
rg4619

Supposedly, some people were put off my Microsoft's brash marketing, which had them looking like an invasive foreign force. That's one criticism leveled against MS anyway.

Quote:
the xbox 360 mainly has games that never really appealed to the Japanese, such as violent FPS games and such.
There are several (heavily marketed) Japanese-oriented games that haven't taken off. Only the most hardcore gamers have given the X360 a chance. Since MS needs to attract a mainstream audience, visual novels won't help them (else the NEC PC-FX might've survived :lol. These games occupy an even smaller niche and are generally unappealing to both mainstream and hardcore gamers.

In general, neither Japanese developers/publishers (whose games aren't selling well enough to accommodate such high production costs) nor consumers are ready for next-gen gaming. I think that's why XBox360 and PS3 have both struggled. Without publisher commitment, a market can't open up.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 08:30   Link #1423
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Ah nuts. Was having fun with Figu@Carnival (Figu@Mate's fandisc)...

Had myself a fun little figure harem, and BAM! Sudden crash blows away my save and my hard work.

;_;
Old 2007-09-27, 15:18   Link #1424
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

So many of them!!!
Old 2007-09-28, 08:10   Link #1425
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I know! It's fun, but...christ.

Seems I didn't lose my save after all! But now I'm stuck with the same recipes over and over again, and to top it all off, I can't seem to unlock any more recipes (all the Rank A-D recipes have their 5th item locked). God I need a guide badly. ;_;
Old 2007-09-28, 09:24   Link #1426
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So what's this Figu@Mate all about then. I get an SD Gundam Gachapon Wars vibe from it, but do they actually fight each other or am I dead wrong?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 02:59   Link #1427
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
So what's this Figu@Mate all about then. I get an SD Gundam Gachapon Wars vibe from it, but do they actually fight each other or am I dead wrong?
Nothing like that. It's fun simply because I'm trying to collect as many figures as I can, while trying to save up enough money to buy out the unlockables that the game has to offer.
Old 2007-09-29, 09:07   Link #1428
luckyovermind
hungry~

The collection looks great, I am planning to use that pic as my sig on another forum
Old 2007-09-30, 09:18   Link #1429
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Be my guest!
Old 2007-10-13, 02:32   Link #1430
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

ティルアぱにっく

Thirua Panic

(SERIOUSLY NSFW)

http://fandc.co.jp/thirua/
http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=433285

By chance while browsing through Getchu I happened to come upon this game that's slated for November 22nd. It's now one of my most-anticipated. Here's why.

Otoboku and Koitate, two other ero-games, delve into a common theme, that of the male lead disguising as a girl, through clever and often over-the-top disguises, resulting in all the usual hijinks. While these situations are quite funny, I've always felt a little let down that they've never taken the male->female idea further.

Well I despair no more! Thirua Panic apparently takes that idea the entire way through. The male lead undergoes a full-body transformation and over the course of the game must find some way to change back. Apparently most or all of the cast know or find out about it, and some of the apparent reactions are hilarious---especially those of the lead's guy friends . The lead's even voiced, although after listening to samples I've come to the assessment that this game's lead is even more effeminate by default than Otoboku's Mizuho, if such a thing is even possible. The art looks like it's done by the same person who did the art for the Tenkuu no Symphonia games.

Glances through the official website's CG gallery reveal that there may be possibilities for yuri scenes. (One CG looks as if the lead and one of the girls are trying to figure out how to get it to work, so to speak )

Most importantly for me, this presents a somewhat female perspective of a typical h-game scenario, which is definetly missing in the market as a whole, even if this game's take isn't completely from a girl's point of view.

In any case, come on November 22nd!!!

(EDIT: The OP, if that's the final version of it, is......... well......... hmmm......)
Old 2007-10-13, 15:55   Link #1431
Garet Jax

Since I love reading, and of course enjoy the anime/manga art style, and like many types of games, I figured I should try at least one visual novel type game, as they seem to combine all of these to varying degrees. From reading this topic, I can see that my best bet is to get back to learning the language.
Being that that will take a very long time, I'll look at some of the translated ones first. Does anyone know Princess Waltz? The product blurb says "A game often compared to Type-Moon's Fate / stay night, and one of Japan's most popular titles of 2006." Is that true? Seems like a good choice, if so. I certainly liked F/S's anime adaptation.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 18:41   Link #1432
shadowplay
passive observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Does anyone know Princess Waltz? The product blurb says "A game often compared to Type-Moon's Fate / stay night, and one of Japan's most popular titles of 2006." Is that true? Seems like a good choice, if so. I certainly liked F/S's anime adaptation.
That game won't be out this year as P-A is saying, and it's actually cross between card game and VN. Also definately not one of the most popular ero-games of last year...of the best ones. Your better option is Ever17, or Yume Miru Kusuri if you don't mind ero. Or if you liked F/SN that much, start with Tsukihime then, english patch is available.

Back to topic, played demo of Garden recently, and as feared there are no voices in the game and there's again oldstyle text over picture interface, bleh. Wish Cuffs could move on with the times...piano music is good though, and girls are cute, but I'm not sure if I'll be in the mood for the actual game when it arrives in 2 weeks.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 19:21   Link #1433
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

萌えろダウンヒルナイト (Moeru Downhill Night)
萌えろダウンヒルナイト2
萌えろダウンヒルナイトBLAZE

Stumbled upon this racing VN series while looking for Forza 2 痛車 vids on NicoNico. The 3DCG used to render the cars in the first game remind me of ID First Stage, while the second game has more cars, and introduces 2 european cars to the series (Porsche 911 Carrera 4S and Lotus Elise 111R). BTW, the series uses LICENSED vehicles. Anyone have any more info on this series or has tried one of the games themselves?

EDIT: Don't bother with BLAZE since for some reason, the car models are APALLING.

Last edited by HashiriyaR32; 2007-10-13 at 22:46.
HashiriyaR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 23:37   Link #1434
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
In any case, come on November 22nd!!!
I've lost all faith in F&C after playing Hoshiful (#^ω^) ピキピキ... 
I have yet to play a good FC game in the last two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay View Post
That game won't be out this year as P-A is saying, and it's actually cross between card game and VN. Also definately not one of the most popular ero-games of last year...of the best ones. Your better option is Ever17, or Yume Miru Kusuri if you don't mind ero. Or if you liked F/SN that much, start with Tsukihime then, english patch is available.
Princess Waltz has been out since last year (forgot when exactly I completed it...) The card battle system is shallow, but decent enough for a bit of tactics. Scenario is linear with only one main route, but it is very good from beginning to end. The best part of this game is the intense combat scenes and stylized CGs, it's some of the best in the industry.

If you like action oriented games, this one is on the top of the list along with Ayakashi, Bullet Butlers, and Gekkou no Carnavale.

Unless you happen to like playing a half-assed Initial D parody with no real storyline (or I probably missed it laughing at all the wrong things in this game), no real cars (licensing = $$$), and horribly synthesized techno music, I would recommend staying far away from this game.

lol, I forgot what I was originally planning to post...

Last edited by Cloudnine; 2007-10-14 at 00:49.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 00:02   Link #1435
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Unless you happen to like playing a half-assed Initial D parody with no real storyline (or I probably missed it laughing at all the wrong things in this game), no real cars (licensing = $$$), and horribly synthesized techno music, I would recommend staying far away from this game.

The OP for the BLAZE (including its CRAP graphics) did make me laugh to the point of falling, but I sure as hell didn't laugh when they showed the R34's interior. Even for a low-budget production, they could still do good interiors. And I agree that some of the music made me MUTE my video player. My wish for a good racing VN will have to wait, but I'll give MDN2 a try (downloading trial and *static* right now)

One more thing: Check out the car models for MDN2 HERE. I'm sure the ONLY way they've been dodging licensing fees is by being low key. The models are very accurate. There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat. Some Track test shots here

Last edited by HashiriyaR32; 2007-10-14 at 00:15.
HashiriyaR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 00:44   Link #1436
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Don't be fooled by the pretty CGs. The actual driving simulation you do in Downhill Night 2 is absolutely horrible. Firstly, there is no in game physics. Every car has a go cart feel and turning is translated in either you go full left or full right. Secondly, collision detection is even worse. You'll no doubt find yourself bouncing off the tire walls and invisible barriers like ping pong ball. Thirdly, imagine doing this exact process with other racers on the same narrow road... ^^;

---

Ah, just remembered that I was about to post first impressions of Unisonshift-Blossom's Alice Parade.

*sigh* this has been such a bad month of releases.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 01:22   Link #1437
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Ah, just remembered that I was about to post first impressions of Unisonshift-Blossom's Alice Parade.

Whoops.

*slaps a breaching charge on his own posts and leaves*
Old 2007-10-14, 04:21   Link #1438
shadowplay
passive observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine View Post
Princess Waltz has been out since last year
We were talking about english version of the game, PP announced it but it probably won't be coming out this year.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 07:29   Link #1439
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Alice Parade was disappointing and so was Hoshiful, form what I heard. Coupled with Oaruji no Tame being recalled...

;___;
Old 2007-10-14, 09:44   Link #1440
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Ah well.

Seems like the only game I'll be looking forward to would be ToHeart2 Another Days.
A PV has been released for it... it's nostalgic to see Tama-nee and Konomi again...
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel