Notices

Old 2012-05-01, 17:54   Link #2621
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
That bikini contest, What the fudge... :P

So happy for DLC, even though I havn't completed my first playthrough(I know im bad) its still nice to know DLC is on the horizon.
Seriously, it takes some gritted teeth and eyerolling to check the daily mod offerings looking for a few good mods amongst the "J-cup freakshow and fashion-fail stripper gear" stuff. I'm certainly a fan of stylish high fantasy but the "fails" mods are many. Some of the mods are beautiful... but they completely don't fit the environment (e.g. the Silverlight gear is gorgeous and might be something a mage or demon would wear.... but its like that moment in the original Conan movie when Arnold has his "get up and fight" vision). Just found a compilation of Viking gear mods I'm going to look at....
Old 2012-05-01, 18:26   Link #2622
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Seriously, it takes some gritted teeth and eyerolling to check the daily mod offerings looking for a few good mods amongst the "J-cup freakshow and fashion-fail stripper gear" stuff. I'm certainly a fan of stylish high fantasy but the "fails" mods are many. Some of the mods are beautiful... but they completely don't fit the environment (e.g. the Silverlight gear is gorgeous and might be something a mage or demon would wear.... but its like that moment in the original Conan movie when Arnold has his "get up and fight" vision). Just found a compilation of Viking gear mods I'm going to look at....
I guess we all look for mods for different reasons. I personally don't care if a mod fits the lore or not, but I do care if a mod changes the gameplay. Guess everyone has different priorities.

Still, there is no point getting too work up about it. Mods are home-made. You are free to press the "list by endorsement" button to push the unpopular mods to the bottom of the search pile. By definition the majority of any mod would be bad, this isn't news. It's the way the internet works.
Old 2012-05-01, 18:30   Link #2623
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I guess we all look for mods for different reasons. I personally don't care if a mod fits the lore or not, but I do care if a mod changes the gameplay. Guess everyone has different priorities.

Still, there is no point getting too work up about it. Mods are home-made. You are free to press the "list by endorsement" button to push the unpopular mods to the bottom of the search pile. By definition the majority of any mod would be bad, this isn't news. It's the way the internet works.
You're singing to the choir.... but after an hour of mod-browsing I just end up wondering what kind of 10 year olds confused about anatomy are running amuck. Fortunately, I do have a list of nice mods... just had to slog through a lot of manure to get it. Consider that post just the part where I hose off afterwards
Old 2012-05-01, 18:33   Link #2624
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Yeah I agree with you Vexx I don't like seeing armour like that takes all the realism and emmersion out of the game. Though I can see the appeal to the armour, it is really nice and special.
I was using the Witcher 2 Triss armour which fitted my character and just about to move onto the warchief armour, which is amazing!
Old 2012-05-01, 20:21   Link #2625
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, the warchief gear mod looks interesting, just haven't crafted it yet. I'm looking around for a 2h scimitar for my Redguard to use ("curved swords!!! Did you see them?"). Currently she's using a halberd or the 2h I'hara sword ("curved!!!"). The latter is a bit too shiny (like the Nicoroshi swords were).
Old 2012-05-01, 21:24   Link #2626
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Are there any decent armors that don't have horned helmets with them, mod or otherwise? I'm generally a fan of full plate but I never liked the idea of horns on helmets.
Old 2012-05-01, 21:30   Link #2627
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are "invisible helmets" and "armored circlets" .... if I notice a hornless helmet I'll point it out (yeah, horned helmets, winged, whatever - were not combat items but ceremonial "pretty").
Old 2012-05-01, 21:46   Link #2628
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Vexx, got a link to viking gear mods?

I find it silly when I see pics of people's characters and it is a woman in a skimpy outfit. A skimpy outfit in Skyrim, especially up near the college of winterhold? Ridiculous. Your character would be freezing their tits off.
Old 2012-05-01, 23:18   Link #2629
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh, I actually have my characters carry "winter" and "mild" gear...

I'm currently sorting through my mods figuring out which one crashes my skyrim on launch. I don't THINK its the viking mod (I think the villain is a high-res texture mod). It may not bother your installation... but be sure and keep a known working version of the Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim folder in a safe location

But here it is.... (haven't run it myself due to above forensic fun)
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13150

You can also just type "viking" into the Nexus search tool and many alternatives will pop up.

================================================== =========================
I don't have any interest in "anime"ifying Skyrim as such but here's two interesting mods for those who are just messing about:
Fate Testarossa - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=16302
Hatsune Miku - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=16036

Just search the nexus site for "animetica" for all of his mods...

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-02 at 10:06.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 12:30   Link #2630
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
1st Skyrim DLC revealed.

More info come E3 in June.
His glowing eyes give me hope.
My character's started to become more and more powerful and evil that I dubbed him "The Demon Lord of the North" and want him to be the bad guy of the next Elder Scrolls game.

Make me able to conquer the north, Dangit! >.<
Old 2012-05-02, 13:24   Link #2631
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Meh. All this talk of the empire falling apart makes me want to conquer the whole thing. And possibly the elven territories for good measure. "Now play nice or I use one of you to hit the other."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 14:07   Link #2632
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Vexx, for your curved swords, aka scimitar's you could try the "Jaysus" mod (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1002) , it adds loads of lore friendly swords, and they are all amazing and not overpowered. Really worth checking out. It has around 3 scimitar's you may like, but I think they are 1 handed.

Also Rising Dragon check out this mod, got to be something that you like here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10277
I have this mod and the armours are really nice.
Old 2012-05-02, 16:23   Link #2633
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Vexx, for your curved swords, aka scimitar's you could try the "Jaysus" mod (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1002) , it adds loads of lore friendly swords, and they are all amazing and not overpowered. Really worth checking out. It has around 3 scimitar's you may like, but I think they are 1 handed.

Also Rising Dragon check out this mod, got to be something that you like here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10277
I have this mod and the armours are really nice.
Thanks, I'll take a look
Old 2012-05-03, 07:06   Link #2634
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So I'm considering a warrior again. I could go with a stealthy character that quests alone that specializes in archery, alchemy, sneak, and light armor and that would be fun, but some mods are making think that doing a warrior who goes around with a follower most times could be fun.

Vanguard armor mod:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=16238

Mod for buckler shields:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/download...d=5315#content

And then there is the Jaysus weapon mod someone brought up, and there is the viking armor mod Vexx posted.

Vexx, are the viking armors heavy armor or light armor?

I'm not sure which I'll choose between stealth character and warrior character. I'll probably end up doing two different characters.
Old 2012-05-03, 08:25   Link #2635
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I haven't put the viking mod back in to really look at it. (I had put in, like, 10 mods at once and my game started CTD-on-launch. I copied in my "last safely verified game folder backup" and haven't gone through the process of adding one new mod at a time, yet). I *think* it has both light and heavy items but again, I haven't reloaded it yet.

The Jaysus weapons are interesting for variety and they're mostly "Northern Euro" stylings. I have added that one back in.

At the moment, my Redguard 2H femme is using this "curved" sword (one of the I'Hara series) from Nicoroshi. I was having her use the Akatosh weapon (on the right) as well.

Its quite a beauty, only complaint is that (like the Akatosh weapons), its a bit shiny for the game. It *looks* like something she found in an alien spaceship before coming to Skyrim.

Edit: ah, never mind. Nicoroshi has a "all my weapon mods" pack so only one mod need be downloaded for all his weapons: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=15122

That short lass on the left is a tweaked "Lydia 2.0" housecarl, I respecc'd her as 1H+shield & bow.

This is the first time I've tried a warrior character for so long (usually I get to about lvl 30 and drop them, currently lvl 40 on this one). Zephyr is a very tall Redguard woman, a roaming sellsword. She prefers two-handed, loathes magic, and sneaks like a drunken ox. She's competent with a bow.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-03 at 08:46.
Old 2012-05-03, 22:12   Link #2636
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

That 2H curved sword, if that were real, that'd do some real damage.

If I play a stealth character, would it be less fun to do the thieves guild if she wasn't a thief? Would you have times in the thieves guild where you could pickpocket, and that was a key part of some missions?

It'd be fun to have a thief character with some pickpocketing perks and some speech perks (like fence and bribery). But when using a perk calculator, I start to spread myself a bit thin with speech and pickpocketing perks.

One thing is that I'm finding that putting some perks into light armor is helpful. Keeps you alive more often.

If I play a warrior, I was thinking of marrying a follower I'd adventure with, maybe Lydia. Actually, I'll probably play one stealth character and one warrior character, just not at the same time, I don't think. Vexx, how many characters do you balance with play time? Four?
Old 2012-05-03, 23:24   Link #2637
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
If I play a stealth character, would it be less fun to do the thieves guild if she wasn't a thief? Would you have times in the thieves guild where you could pickpocket, and that was a key part of some missions?
The initial mission to join the guild is a reverse pickpocket (plant something). My Redguard 2H failed miserably and ended up in jail, but she had no desire to join the guild anyway. There are some pickpocket missions but none I can recall that are critical.
Quote:
One thing is that I'm finding that putting some perks into light armor is helpful. Keeps you alive more often.
Yeah, I always at least max the first perk or hit the first few.
Quote:
If I play a warrior, I was thinking of marrying a follower I'd adventure with, maybe Lydia. Actually, I'll probably play one stealth character and one warrior character, just not at the same time, I don't think. Vexx, how many characters do you balance with play time? Four?
Until I got fixated on the Redguard warrior lass
I have about 4 characters and a couple of "always restarting experiments".
Dark elf assassin, Imperial destruction mage, the Redguard, and a Breton thief with some Khajit blood. I have a "pure" wood elf archer but haven't gotten very far with it. I figure I'll play the whole Dragonborn hero line with the Redguard, not sure about the others.
Old 2012-05-03, 23:40   Link #2638
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Does your dark elf assassin do any thieving? Does she have any perks in pickpocketing?

I'm using a perk calculator to try and figure out what perks I want (give or take) by around level 50. Pickpocketing perks are good for stealing from trainers, but other than that, I don't need thieving. I don't need it for money, as alchemy will get me loaded with money. Even then, I don't need to steal from trainers.

Is there a console command for investing in a merchant? I kind of don't want the perks points used up for it. I want to be able to utilize over 10,000 gold from the Riverwood trader.

I have to decide if I want to make a stealth character who just specializes in the bow, makes use of daggers and swords and the bow, but doesn't max out the archery skill tree, or go with dagger and sword and max out the archery skill tree. I don't know if that will be needed, though.

I don't know if I want an assassin or an archer, honestly. If I do archer, they will do a lot of stealth attacks with the bow. Gah, I have three character types I want to choose from; assassin, sneak thief, and archer.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:14   Link #2639
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Does your dark elf assassin do any thieving? Does she have any perks in pickpocketing?
No, not much. She's the serial killer chief of the Dark Brotherhood. If she thieves, its mostly just seeing what is shiny after she's killed everyone in the house including the pet bird. No pickpocket at all. At this point, sometimes she just kills for the fun of planning and execution o.O If they hadn't made soi many people in Riften essential, she'd have probably slaughtered the Black-Briars.

Quote:
I'm using a perk calculator to try and figure out what perks I want (give or take) by around level 50. Pickpocketing perks are good for stealing from trainers, but other than that, I don't need thieving. I don't need it for money, as alchemy will get me loaded with money. Even then, I don't need to steal from trainers.
My sneak thief is working on pickpocketing but that's just mostly roleplay - it hasn't seemed critical outside of the assigned jobs from the guild. Got a perk calculator you recommend?

Quote:
Is there a console command for investing in a merchant? I kind of don't want the perks points used up for it. I want to be able to utilize over 10,000 gold from the Riverwood trader.
Hmmm, dunno. I am using the "spouse runs her own shop" mod and dump my loot trash off with that NPC. I've not really gone up the speech tree very far and use potions for brief persuasive skills.

Quote:
I have to decide if I want to make a stealth character who just specializes in the bow, makes use of daggers and swords and the bow, but doesn't max out the archery skill tree, or go with dagger and sword and max out the archery skill tree. I don't know if that will be needed, though.
That would be rather like my wood elf archer... I'm still too early in her route to give much advice though

Quote:
I don't know if I want an assassin or an archer, honestly. If I do archer, they will do a lot of stealth attacks with the bow. Gah, I have three character types I want to choose from; assassin, sneak thief, and archer.
You *can* do a couple of those I think rather well (sniper assassin, assassin/thief (do Thief guild first then Dark Bro).

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-04 at 01:24.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:56   Link #2640
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is the "spouse runs her own shop" mod? What search terms do I use at Skyrim Nexus.

I use this Skyrim perk calculator: http://skyrimcalculator.com/

As cool as a warrior character could be, I'm more drawn to a stealth character that uses a bow. I'm now considering an 'illusion archer'. I'm asking people some questions about Illusion magic on the Nexus forums. Questions I couldn't find answers to on the wiki page.

I am also considering using a mod I saw that has more than one level for deadly aim, so stealth attacks with a bow go beyond six times the damage.

Now that I think about it, maybe I don't need Illusion magic. If I focus enough on the sneak skill tree and level that up a lot (and it wouldn't hurt to use a fortify sneak necklace) and enchant my boots with muffle for 100% muffle like someone recommended, whenever I'm overwhelmed by enemies, I can drink an invisibility potion and run away and create distance and then go back to stealth attacks. I'll have plenty of invisibility potions, my character will be an alchemist.

If I ever need to use a sword and shield (I'll opt for a counter dagger [it's from a mod]), I can use fortify one-handed and fortify block rings (one of each or two of each, not sure; I'll use a mod that allows you to wear more than one ring).

It was probably three days ago that I started thinking of what type of character to make again. I want to reinstall Skyrim this weekend, just put it off because it'll take a bit with deactivating mods, uninstalling, using a HDD sweeper, reinstalling, and figuring out the mods I want and figuring out the load order to do. I find it fun trying to plan a character for this game, though. I think they did great with character creation in this game. It is fun planning and developing characters in Skyrim.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim