AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-16, 13:47   Link #1
Pilly
Anime watcher

How do you watch an anime without getting attached to it?

I love watching a good anime, but I always seem to get attached to the characters and the anime world.... So if an anime were to end I would feel empty for like a month or more. Eventually I get over it but I just hate having that feeling. Its like a curse from watching a really good anime.

I have no problem wrapping up a good book or a TV series, but I can't seem to let go of an anime.

Did anyone find a way to just enjoy a good anime without getting too attached? Or is that empty feeling just unavoidable?
Pilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 14:13   Link #2
hyl
reading #hikaributts

It's kind of hard getting into the settings,world, characters or the story of any anime (or actually anything) without some kind of attachement.
So why would you want to take enjoyment away from yourself by wanting to watch something apathetically.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 14:38   Link #3
Eater of All
NOM

Nitpick about every little flaw.

But that's not a good recipe for enjoyment. I believe one of the greatest strength of anime is that it makes you care about its characters. It's made to be character orientated. When the show is over and they're gone so to speak, it's perfectly normal to miss them. That's what makes an anime memorable.

Now that I think about it, my habit of jotting down quotes is probably my way of coping with this.
Old 2012-12-16, 15:26   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm chronically bad at finishing things in general, and this isn't really an exception. In a lot of cases, I'll just end up procrastinating the end to a series I like for a long time until some day I finally decide to finish it.

I tend to agree, though, that allowing yourself to be engaged by the story is a great thing. I wouldn't want to watch a show if I weren't engaged. The emotional connection is a definite strength, even if that makes it harder to say goodbye.
Old 2012-12-16, 16:01   Link #5
Pilly
Anime watcher

I understand that having that feeling of attachment is part of enjoying the anime, but that feeling really ruins my mood.

When I read a good book or watch a good tv series, I enjoy it for that moment. Then when its over I stop thinking about it. When the series or book ends, I feel happy that I got to enjoy such a great story and quickly move on with my life.

That just doesn't happen for me when I watch anime.

Now that I think about it, I don't think there is a way for me to avoid that void. Besides ignoring anime. Its so strange....
Pilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 16:44   Link #6
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilly View Post
I understand that having that feeling of attachment is part of enjoying the anime, but that feeling really ruins my mood.

When I read a good book or watch a good tv series, I enjoy it for that moment. Then when its over I stop thinking about it. When the series or book ends, I feel happy that I got to enjoy such a great story and quickly move on with my life.

Now that I think about it, I don't think there is a way for me to avoid that void. Besides ignoring anime. Its so strange....
I do know what you mean. The great thing about anime is the long coherent story, I've never been to big a fan of episodic series (with exception, naturally). Often these stories span several novels, or a full decade worth of manga chapters, I think its natural to get that type of attachment ( Although the same has happened to me with novels, for example I marathon read His Dark Materials twice before I was satisfied - boy do I ever wish this book, moreso than any other I can think of, was adapted into an anime). I imagine its worse when the endings are bitter-sweet, those really suck for a while. However, from my experience... that feeling is a good thing : its great to be able to get so attached to a series and its characters, and (though I'm not old by any means) that tends to lessen as I've grown older, watched, and read more. To be quite honest, if you can't get enough of a series, watch it again, nothing wrong with doing that, and if its had that much of an impression on you it won't ruin it for you.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 16:47   Link #7
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilly View Post

You just have to watch more bad anime. . .seriously watch a LOT of BAD shows (it's not like there's any shortage of that lol) and when a good show comes along, you'll just be happy that you finally found something good! When it ends you'll feel satisfied. ..hell you'll probably get the urge to watch it again on a slow day or something.

It helps a lot for me. . .I started watching anime form a friend who introduced me to cowboy bebop about 2 years ago, and since then I have watched so much. trying to explore these stuff that I no longer have to get attached to a show, I can like it and just enjoy it like book now.

For shows that I really like, I'll just watch it again a few months down the road on a slow day.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 17:06   Link #8
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

My suggestion is to keep watching new things, and even things that aren't anime. That way, one gets the maximal exposure to a wide range of stuff that they enjoy. However, some of the first anime that I've watched hold a special place in my heart for being the anime that I watched when I at a certain stage in my life. They're fond, nostalgic moments and in fact, prompts me to watch the show again in the future.
Old 2012-12-16, 19:09   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The solution is to watch another really good anime and get attached to that.

There isn't really a way around that. Good works of any medium tend to get us attached to them.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 22:00   Link #10
gussily

I realized after watching more and more anime my attachment to characters began to dwindle more and more, so i guess thats the only advice i have...watch more anime.
gussily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 22:08   Link #11
judasmartel
*Author

I just don't take anime so seriously, whether good or bad. It's just fiction after all. They don't necessarily represent reality perfectly (but some anime are still good at representing reality).
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 22:14   Link #12
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well the flow of the anime helps not getting attached to some characters
Old 2012-12-17, 00:15   Link #13
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
HAHAHAHAHAHA

...........I don't.

I watch anime FOR characters, pretty much. Yes, it's sad when it's over....so all I need to do is distract myself with another anime out of 9425879243852858508958 left to watch.
See? Problem SOLVED!
Old 2012-12-17, 02:11   Link #14
Kyuu
=^^=

If you're not attached to whatever you're watching -- then whatever you're watching -- SUCKS. And that's plainly put.

The better the series, the more attached we are to them. And when the series ends, the attachment makes us remember them more. If a series does that to you, then it did its job.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 03:34   Link #15
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Plenty of people have sex without forming attachments. In light of that, I don't see how watching anime without forming attachments is so mind boggling.

As for the original question of how one partakes in anything without forming an attachment, I'll just ad-lib the classic Nike slogan. You just do it. I'll leave the judgement call on whether you should or not, up to you.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 03:39   Link #16
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Plenty of people have sex without forming attachments. In light of that, I don't see how watching anime without forming attachments is so mind boggling.
You do realize that you are comparing with the wrong things?
To like an anime, you need to like an element about it. Like i posted earlier, either the characters, story, settings etc.
In your example of sex, you don't neccesary have to like the partner (like for example some people going to prostitutes) but just the act of sex itself. So you like sex on a different level than some people, but that doesn't mean there is no kind of attachment to it.

Of course you can watch animes without some kind of emotional attachment, but then you have to like it on a different level. Like people who deliberately watch bad animes just to criticize it.
Old 2012-12-17, 03:42   Link #17
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You do realize that you are comparing with the wrong things?
To like an anime, you need to like an element about it. Like i posted earlier, either the characters, story, settings etc.
In your example of sex, you don't neccesary have to like the partner (like for example some people going to prostitutes) but just the act of sex itself. Then you have a different criteria.

Of course you can watch animes without some attachments, but then you have to like it on a different level.
Well, you seem to understand, but I'll go right ahead and say it. The comparison is absolutely valid, because like enjoying the act of sex, it's entirely possible someone enjoys the act of watching a specific anime, rather than the actual anime.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 03:46   Link #18
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
it's entirely possible someone enjoys the act of watching a specific anime, rather than the actual anime.
Care to elaborate that? Because the way how you are posting that is rather vague without some kind of context/explanation.
Old 2012-12-17, 13:18   Link #19
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I would compare this to channel surfing: you stumble upon a show that catches your eye, you watch it for awhile, and then move on.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 00:08   Link #20
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I would compare this to channel surfing: you stumble upon a show that catches your eye, you watch it for awhile, and then move on.
Pretty much this.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote