AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2012-10-30, 15:15   Link #1021
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Well, when it comes to YouTube it may actually be worth upscaling to some extent. I've read people saying the increased bitrate 720p video gets when uploaded more than compensates for, well, the upscaling itself. Not sure how true that is, though.

When I uploaded 480x272 vids recorded from my PSP I actually upscaled them to 360p since I expected them to be treated as 240p by YT, and we all know how wonderful those are, also in terms of audio quality. But I never actually tested it, so it's possible YT would upscale them to 360p on its own.

Outside YouTube though, which isn't really the paragon of quality in any case in the first place, we agree upscaling is doing it wrong.

To answer part of the question though, I'd stay away from 1-pass bitrate mode unless you're really hurting for CPU speed (in which case you'd still be better off using lighter x264 settings with a decent encoding mode), if that's what you're asking. Both CRF and 2-pass ABR are acceptable depending on what you want, CRF being the faster and better of the two unless you absolutely need specific filesizes (which you shouldn't).
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 17:18   Link #1022
ACTL_33

Hey there, just got a quick question in regards to the encoding process for .mp4 vids. Here's my case:

I'm trying to assemble a staff to deal with the Aikatsu! anime series (check my profile for the details), but the big case is this -- in the case of encoding the .mp4 vids I obtain (considering I give it a different filename so that I won't overwrite the RAW), what would be the recommended application I would use (with a GUI) to encode said .mp4 for hardsubbing.

I do plan to do the .mkv process as well, but that is a different story altogether.
ACTL_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 20:59   Link #1023
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTL_33 View Post
Hey there, just got a quick question in regards to the encoding process for .mp4 vids. Here's my case:

I'm trying to assemble a staff to deal with the Aikatsu! anime series (check my profile for the details), but the big case is this -- in the case of encoding the .mp4 vids I obtain (considering I give it a different filename so that I won't overwrite the RAW), what would be the recommended application I would use (with a GUI) to encode said .mp4 for hardsubbing.

I do plan to do the .mkv process as well, but that is a different story altogether.
From the way you word your post, my recommendation would be to find an actual encoder who knows what they are doing.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 09:15   Link #1024
Nessaja
rawr

Starting fresh, I was wondering what filters you guys use for DVD source (R2's). currently I'm using just using Undot and Convolution3D("movielq") since I assume animelq doesn't work anymore?

Currently I'm using
Quote:
program --level 4.1 --pass 2 --bitrate 1450 --stats ".stats" --deblock 1:1 --bframes 16 --ref 16 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --me umh --direct auto --subme 6 --trellis 2 --output "output" "input"
which I got from a friend, but I kinda wanna play with deblocking levels but I'm not sure what the levels should be at.

I am still an ass and go for file size rather than constant quality as the original script looked like this:
Quote:
program --level 4.1 --crf 18.0 --deblock 1:1 --bframes 16 --ref 16 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --me umh --direct auto --subme 6 --trellis 2 --output "output" "input"
Currently I'm going for 848x480 192k @ 233 and was wondering if the difference between constant Q vs 2 pass - aimed size make any difference at all? The bitrate is very close to eachother which makes me doubt either mode altogether.
Nessaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 10:49   Link #1025
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
currently I'm using just using Undot and Convolution3D("movielq") since I assume animelq doesn't work anymore?
2003 called and wanted their filter chains back

(if you can't figure out what to filter with yourself, then don't filter. modern dvd's typically do not need filtering. blurays even less so.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
x264 stuff
Don't any rate control mode other than CRF (but if you have to use 2-pass, it's pretty much the same quality as CRF if you use the same average bitrate).

Use --preset and --tune and nothing else. Don't override any parameters on your own unless you have done scientific tests that prove that your settings are better (sample size at least 50 different videos with at least 10000 frames each, use objective metrics in addition to subjective double blind tests).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 04:04   Link #1026
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post

Use --preset and --tune and nothing else. Don't override any parameters on your own unless you have done scientific tests that prove that your settings are better (sample size at least 50 different videos with at least 10000 frames each, use objective metrics in addition to subjective double blind tests).
Sorry, but how exactly is using blind people going to give you useful results for video quality tests?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2013-02-01, 10:05   Link #1027
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Sorry, but how exactly is using blind people going to give you useful results for video quality tests?
I'm assuming the intended meaning is ABX testing, or similar technique.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 23:33   Link #1028
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
While it is true that the average anime watcher is so insensitive to bad video quality that they might as well be blind, what I meant was indeed what jfs suggested (ABX tests). "Double blind" is probably better written "double-blind" to avoid confusion.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 00:59   Link #1029
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

You people never appreciate my humor.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2013-02-02, 17:58   Link #1030
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Personally, I laughed out loud, Sam.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote