Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-15, 22:46   Link #21
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

6 simple words.

Now and then, Here and there.

If you can't take a 13 year old girl getting raped, I suggest it might be a bit overwhelming. It's all about war and shit.

It's dark, deep, not your average anime.
Old 2006-02-16, 01:28   Link #22
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGoNe
6 simple words.

If you can't take a 13 year old girl getting raped, I suggest it might be a bit overwhelming. It's all about war and shit.

I found that series to be depressing before I started to get depressed when watching that sort of thing. I imagine I couldn't stand to sit through it anymore.
Old 2006-02-16, 01:36   Link #23
Fel
Clean up princess

Dark: Narutaru; TeXhnolyze
Funny: Jungle wa itsumo
Also good: Now and Then; Gunslinger Girl
Old 2006-02-16, 05:42   Link #24
phaerax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGoNe
6 simple words.

+1.

this might be the anime that impressed me the most up to now. it has "Quality" written all over it. imaginative, deep, complex, brutal, sad, i love it. a must-see if you can take it. not graphic and not hentai by any means... just very sad.

Berserk anime is also quite good, the best barbarian-centered story i ve seen so far. its a shame the latest volumes (24+) of the manga are more filler than plot.

[edit]
as for ecchi? well it cant get ecchier than Golden Boy. its a short ova series but you ll be rolling on the floor all way through. dont bother watch the original audio version, get the dubbed dvds, they re way better.
[/edit]

Last edited by phaerax; 2006-02-16 at 06:39.
Old 2006-02-16, 08:34   Link #25
Ending

Thanks, I'll try those that ended up under the MAYBE -list.

@ jedinat

I meant those huge robot-things they used to defend the city in the first episodes (before it was flattened) and that ûber-special-secret robot only the prince can use. Big swords, robots with huge capes, fist-fights between house-sized metal-blocks... Does that ring a bell?

Anyway... All the good suggestions:

Quote:
The "MAYBE" list:
-- Kino no Tabi. The character looks a lot like a regular 15-year old cliché, but what the hell.
-- Elfen Lied. Guess it deserves a go.
-- Gunslinger Girl. It just might be what I'm looking for, but I remember reading this one review that claimed it revelled a bit too much in angst...
-- Gilgamesh. Been looking for this one for a while, actually, but haven't yet got my hands on it yet.
-- Wolf's rain. Guess I could survive from a chapter or two.
-- Scryed. The description on Animenfo sounds promising. Hope this is available.
-- Zettai Shonen. Sounds almost too boring, but since there are some fantasy elements...
-- Now and then, Here and there.
-- Kashimashi. Interesting description on Animenfo.
-- Goldenboy OVA. Hope it's more interesting than the manga...
All these should keep my lines busy for a month or half.

Last edited by Ending; 2006-02-16 at 08:46.
Old 2006-02-16, 09:36   Link #26
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
@ jedinat

I meant those huge robot-things they used to defend the city in the first episodes (before it was flattened) and that ûber-special-secret robot only the prince can use. Big swords, robots with huge capes, fist-fights between house-sized metal-blocks... Does that ring a bell?
Your mistaking, youre probably thinking about Escaflowne or something like that because there is no such thing as giant robots in 12 Kokuki.
Old 2006-02-16, 15:51   Link #27
Ending

Yea; Escaflowne. Mixed it because I saw them both the same day a few weeks back. Still, I remember there was something wrong with both of them, since I got rid of the files and -obviously- hardly remember them anymore.

Also decided to go with the Elfen Lied manga; is there a difference?
Old 2006-02-16, 17:43   Link #28
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
yea, Elfen Lied manga goes farther than the anime, maybe it's better...im just too lazy to read it... wut about Akira but i guess u've probably seen it...
Old 2006-02-16, 18:11   Link #29
MamoruUsagi

Read the manga Ayashi no Ceres Ceres: Celestial Legend. It is wonderful. Don't watch the anime. The anime takes out everything and changes so much. The manga is romantic, passionate and touching.

Fushigi Yuugi is a great series. I loved it. It has lots of romance, passion and a wonderful love story. It's also known as Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play.

While I loved those series, they may not be the kind you like, but those are my recomendations. I loved those series. I love series where the main couple gets married.
Old 2006-02-16, 18:33   Link #30
stretch87
Anime Addict

Wirhe, if you are willing to dismiss Samurai Champloo as "brainless action" then i truely feel sorry for you, because such closemindedness will cause you to overlook some of the greatest animes. I guess animes like SC can't compete witht the sophistication of a hentai...

in fact, SC is the most education animation that i have watched so far, and i have watched many. you shouldn't judge it so harshly unless you have watched it. if you have watched it and still think it's bad compared to some the the garbage that you initially listed then i would have to say you have horrible taste.

Last edited by stretch87; 2006-02-16 at 18:55.
Old 2006-02-16, 21:34   Link #31
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch87
Wirhe, if you are willing to dismiss Samurai Champloo as "brainless action" then i truely feel sorry for you, because such closemindedness will cause you to overlook some of the greatest animes. I guess animes like SC can't compete witht the sophistication of a hentai...

in fact, SC is the most education animation that i have watched so far, and i have watched many. you shouldn't judge it so harshly unless you have watched it. if you have watched it and still think it's bad compared to some the the garbage that you initially listed then i would have to say you have horrible taste.
Yes, because taste is an easily measured metric, and not at all based on perspective. Let's all bash each other's preferences!

Hokay, back on topic... Whoever said Gunslinger Girl isn't chock full of angst... The series is exclusively guns and angst. I loved it to death, but if you don't like angst, don't bother.

I'd suggest Mai HiME if you haven't picked that up.
Old 2006-02-17, 10:23   Link #32
Ending

I have already seen both Samurai Champloo and Mai HiME. Champloo falls under the oh-so-infamous "pure-AXN" and Mai HiME, IIRC, under the "giant robot -things / 15-year old girls with hidden super powers" -categories. Might be remembering something a bit wrong in the case of Mai HiME, but in any case I know that I have seen both of them and didn't like of either. Horrible or not, it's *my* taste and what *I* like. Period.

Watched Kino no Tabi (movie) yesterday, by the way. The protagonist wasn't all that interesting... Just another pre-school super girl. Also, the story was a really slow burner, stopping before it even begun. Could someone spoil me a bit about the actual serie and what happens later on? You never know: maybe this one can surprise pleasantly, although I haven't been surprised since... ever.

Last edited by Ending; 2006-02-17 at 12:13.
Old 2006-02-17, 12:25   Link #33
stretch87
Anime Addict

if you've actually watched SC and don't like it then i don't see anything wrong with that. i just thought you were making assumptions about it. anyway, i have another recommendation for you that i don't think has been mentioned yet...
Last Exile - check out some screenshots and a review here

screens: http://gallery.point-blank.cc/le

review: http://www.point-blank.cc/reviews/index.php?ident=134
Old 2006-02-17, 20:58   Link #34
Asfad

Quote:
Watched Kino no Tabi (movie) yesterday, by the way. The protagonist wasn't all that interesting... Just another pre-school super girl. Also, the story was a really slow burner, stopping before it even begun. Could someone spoil me a bit about the actual serie and what happens later on? You never know: maybe this one can surprise pleasantly, although I haven't been surprised since... ever.
You are supposed to watch the series first, the movie is supposed to be a supplement. It's like watching a sequel before the first movie, you miss out on a lot of the stuff from the first so its not as enjoyable. Also spoiled a bit of the surprise from the series as well by watching the movie first.

The movie technically occurs in the storyline before the series. I personally love the series to death, but its not for everyone. Everyone ive recommended this series to think its great, so give the series a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised, I know I was.
Old 2006-02-17, 22:14   Link #35
ultrataro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
There's nothing syrupy sweet about it... ask anyone. But, whatever, you seem to have a unique outlook on things.
Yup, no syrupy sweet about it, it's a good show.
No one's mentioned Mushishi? A thinking persons show. Might be too slow and it doesn't have a connecting plot aside from the overall theme and the main wandering character.
Old 2006-02-18, 15:55   Link #36
Ending

NO
-- Zettai Shonen. Aw, crap; this one again. Went and downloaded it for the second time. Bleh. At least it was just the three first eps... Although promising, it simply offers too little too late. Scratch this.
-- Last Exile. I can understand why some like of this serie, but it really isn't for me. I find the morals and characters rather... Well; bland, to put it nicely.

YES
-- Whaddya know; Elfen Lied is pretty good. A bit naîve at times, starts outright lame with one super-über-woman killing 50 mentally challenged soldiers, deflecting machine-gun fire like James Bond and Spider-Man. It's even worse in the manga, which suffers from teen-angst. But still there has been an interesting mix of ecchiness, love-triangle, and fantasy. Hope it also ends well, although I'm almost sure I will be disappointed (Lucy killed/decides to leave for good/everyone dies/some other cheap excuse to get rid of the storyline carrier). ATM I'm watchin ep 9.

At least I now know from where stretch87's and jedinat's avatars come from. Always look at the positive side.

**EDIT**

Knew it. Another serie that has some good content but a p*ss-poor ending. Why do they always fail to finish their flicks properly...? A real bummer, because it was *so* close of being one of those flicks that I know I would had enjoyed viewing years to come.

Last edited by Ending; 2006-02-18 at 19:55.
Old 2006-02-25, 11:35   Link #37
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Knew it. Another serie that has some good content but a p*ss-poor ending. Why do they always fail to finish their flicks properly...? A real bummer, because it was *so* close of being one of those flicks that I know I would had enjoyed viewing years to come.
Um.....you didn't watch the entire last ep, did you? Lucy DOES return.
Old 2006-02-25, 11:52   Link #38
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

How about Saikano?
Description from anidb:
Shuuji and Chise are third year student at a high school in Hokkaido. The shy Chise is finally confessing to Shuuji, and finally two of them are starting to exchange diary awkwardly.One day, Shuuji tried to escape from a sudden enemy air raid on Sapporo. While desperately escaping from the air raid, Shuuji saw a scene that he could not forget for his life. He saw Chise, with a huge weapon looking as if it was part of her hand, shooting the enemy fighters down one by one. Apparently, Chise is the ultimate weapon with destructive power which is important for the war.

If you look at the discription you might think it's about action, but seriously this stuff is drama+++ and leave you with a crappy feeling(because of the touching story).

Gungrave
: The definition of drama itself. o-O
Description from anidb:
Brandon Heat, a silent and passive man, is living a laid back life with his friends. He`s got his eyes on Maria, but her father forbids their relationship. After the brutal murder of his friends and Maria`s father, Brandon is on the run together with the only friend he has left; Harry McDowell. When he finds out custody over Maria has been taken by Millennion, the largest mafia syndicate in town, he and Harry decide to join the syndicate. He goes through many hardships after joining the syndicate but he is willing to risk everything as long as he can be close to Maria.
Old 2006-02-25, 14:21   Link #39
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

You might enjoy Midori days, which is a fun echhi 13 episode show, it's got some good action, and comedy.

info at www.animenewsnetwork/encyclopedia/

Another person has recommended Gungrave, Just give it a shot, im sure after 4 episodes you will get into it, and since your looking for something dark, then the ending will leave you happy. It's the best anime to me based on a video game.

I actually found the Elfen lied ending quite sattisfying.
Old 2006-02-25, 21:32   Link #40
wao
OK.

I really suggest you try rewatching 12 Kingdoms, they might have a bit of element of "OH TEH CHOSEN GIRL GOING TO ANOTHER WORLD" in the first arc but HONESTLY they do it very differently from a lot of other shows... they really bring out how useless the girl is at the beginning and how she has rather bad traits and in the end how she becomes better. I felt that the character development was very real, and the settings were very good.

As for Kino no Tabi you should not have watched the movie. First it is to be watched after the series; second it isn't even as good as the series anyway! If you think "aah typical 15 year old" NO NO NO NO WRONG. This show is very atypical if you ask me. Very good, largely stand-alone stories that deal with issues ranging from socio-political to philosophical, in the setting of the different types of cities that she goes to.
And if you called Kino a pre-school super girl well then I have nothing to say to you, I don't even know if you're watching your anime PROPERLY without letting your preconceptions get in the way of what the show's actually saying!

Maybe you need to take a break from anime.