AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-22, 15:04   Link #621
Uchiha Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Apparently Maria brought Sakutaro to Rokkenjima in at least one of the past family meetings, that should be clear even from the anime.
I wouldn't be surprised if she brought other "friends" with her. Actually I am fairly sure she did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Well, so far we've only seen her after Sakutarou was ripped in half by her mother, so I think Rosa took very good care in not letting her daughter bring strange toys to the island. Remember how long it took for Maria to get her mother to buy her some candy in Episode 2.
Regardless of bringing her toys with her or not .. i meant in my question is: Did any one of the family (including the servants) talked about Maria's attachment to the toys or her obsession about witches .. i know Rosa trying her best to hide this facts but there is no doubt that the family noticed or at least Rosa told someone .. maybe Kyrie (as KanonTheFurniture stated before that both of them have little girls.) so are there any things Indicate that one/more of the family is interested in this facts?
Old 2009-11-22, 15:12   Link #622
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Not really, since the Ushiromiya knew it was quite a taboo with Rosa.
In Episode 1, it is hinted that Rosa had fits even before the rest of the family, so considering how the mood is generally, poking on this stuff is hardly something they would do, as it looks like a hassle.
Old 2009-11-22, 15:25   Link #623
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

About Hideyoshi. His Kansai accent is fake. It seems that he talks that way because he believes it helps with his business, but when he finds someone who really comes from Kansai he starts talking normally because he knows he's not really good at it.
Odd fact, but Battler seems pretty sure about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Soul View Post
Regardless of bringing her toys with her or not .. i meant in my question is: Did any one of the family (including the servants) talked about Maria's attachment to the toys or her obsession about witches .. i know Rosa trying her best to hide this facts but there is no doubt that the family noticed or at least Rosa told someone .. maybe Kyrie (as KanonTheFurniture stated before that both of them have little girls.) so are there any things Indicate that one/more of the family is interested in this facts?
I doubt Rosa knows, she wouldn't be pleased after "those sad events", but in the case of Sakutaro it was too big to be concealed, I think that most probably everyone knew about it. At any rate Maria was 8 or 7 at that time so there was really nothing wrong with her bringing a plush. Ange has seen the plush Sakutaro with her own eyes anyway.

About Maria's obsession for the occult, I think it is safe to assume everyone knows. Remember how Hideyoshi showed the magic circle to Maria, back In the Episode1 arc? And this doesn't just apply to Maria's family, in the novel it is implied that Maria's classmates avoid her because they think she's creepy.

And about the toys? We know she brought the ceramic rabbits around, even at school (against the rules). But did she continue to do that after "those sad events"? No clue. There is absolutely no hint of that, as well as there is absolutely no mention in any of the games prior to Ep4 that Maria had a toy inside her purse.

Though, Battler said that there are a lot of different things there.

Old 2009-11-23, 10:42   Link #624
Uchiha Soul

What is the means of transportation used to travel from and to the island? I mean beside the ships. Is there any probability that Kinzo owned private airplanes (private jet)? and Are there other ways to enter the island? Other than the waterway?
Old 2009-11-23, 11:23   Link #625
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

There was no mention of anything outside boats.

It is said that Krauss has his own private boat, but at the time of the Rokkenjima incident it is at Niijima being repaired. There are probably other small boats at the port since Shannon used one to get to the torii on the reef, but they are not suitable to long range travels.

I think it is very unlikely that there is a landing track for airplanes on the island, however I can imagine that an Hydroplane is a viable option.

Also I doubt that an Helicopter would work, because there aren't many spots where it could land safely and without causing damages. Rokkenjima is all covered by a thick forest and it is all rocks and hills with barely no plains. The only places where a copter could land would be the gardens, but that would cause a lot of damage to them.

Old 2009-11-23, 11:29   Link #626
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
So far the only way to enter Rokkenjima that is known to us is via ship.
And the only way to board the ship given in the Anime so far is the little harbor the characters used every Episode (shown in episode 1 of the anime).
Spoiler for After episode 21 of the anime:

Because Rokkenjima is a rather small strip of land with no real plains and considerably large amounts of forested area it is highly impossible for a hidden airport, even a heliport to be on the island.

The only other possible entrance would be a submarine...but that seems rather ridiculous, even for Umineko.

EDIT: Damn...already beaten to it...
Old 2009-11-23, 11:29   Link #627
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Soul View Post
What is the means of transportation used to travel from and to the island? I mean beside the ships. Is there any probability that Kinzo owned private airplanes (private jet)? and Are there other ways to enter the island? Other than the waterway?
Nope. Only boats. There shouldn't be a private runway on the island, at least nothing that VN players would know at this point. You could assume that Kinzo had his own secret fleet of boats to ship men and material to and from, but it's likely none of the family knows about this.
Old 2009-11-23, 11:51   Link #628
Uchiha Soul

Well, since non of the anime or VN stated about this.. it means that Krauss and Jessica go to work and school by boats? But did they mention anywhere about the time they need to exit or access to the island? I mean how long it takes to reach or leave the island?
Old 2009-11-23, 11:58   Link #629
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Jessica situation has been well described in the novel. She goes to school by boat every single day!

She also mentions how it is not unusual for her to get stuck either in Niijima or at home because of bad weather conditions. In the latter case Natsuhi makes her study at home, in the former she goes to a sort of dormitory created specifically for students that come from nearby islands and can't get home.

It is also stated that Kumasawa frequently uses the same boat to get back and forth to Niijima. Presumably Shannon and Kanon do the same. Actually Shannon did when she still used to go to school.

About Krauss, his job doesn't involve a workplace, basically what Krauss does is investing money. sometimes he travels because of that, but most of the time are the others that go to him with various proposals of investments.
Since he's got a personal boat it is safe to assume that he uses that to move.

Old 2009-11-23, 12:05   Link #630
Uchiha Soul

ok what about the time .. Did anyone know how long it takes to reach or leave the island? 30 min, less, or more ?
Old 2009-11-23, 12:06   Link #631
maximilianjenus
[E]

So, we get to a point that there are no other means known to arrive to rokkenjima besides boats, but we have unlimited boat works, which means a lot of boats can arrive at rokkenjima, tho we know that a storm makes rokkenjima (previously know as devil island(?)) a completely unsafe place to travel.
Old 2009-11-23, 12:21   Link #632
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It takes only a little more than 20 minutes to get to Niijima by airplane (though it is not mentioned from which airport).

And from Niijima to Rokkenjima it's about 30 minutes. although because Battler is wimping out about the boat going too fast, in the day of October 4 1986 the captain slowed down the speed. Gohda then comments that they arrived later than expected.

Old 2009-11-23, 12:27   Link #633
Uchiha Soul

Thanx guyz
Old 2009-11-23, 15:49   Link #634
chounokoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
So, we get to a point that there are no other means known to arrive to rokkenjima besides boats, but we have unlimited boat works, which means a lot of boats can arrive at rokkenjima, tho we know that a storm makes rokkenjima (previously know as devil island(?)) a completely unsafe place to travel.
Of course there is no limit to the boats arriving, but it should be relatively difficult to arrive at the mansion's harbour unnoticed.
And the storm would make it impossible to actually leave any portion of land at all, unless the captain of said ship X himself would have interest in arriving at Rokkenjima. Going out to sea during such a typhoon wouldn't only be 'completely unsafe' it would be considered a suicide attempt. Arriving alive at the island could be considered a considerably large miracle in itself.
So whoever would be planing that would have to arrive on Rokkenjima either before the evening of the 4th or after the 6th of October.

And we shouldn't forget that the anime already mentioned that 'There are no more than 18 people on the island'
Old 2009-11-23, 17:23   Link #635
maximilianjenus
[E]

but once the first twilight happens you can have <6 people arrive at the island, maybe even wearing gat masks and the red text is still true. I hope that's no the case, tho.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:42   Link #636
chounokoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
but once the first twilight happens you can have <6 people arrive at the island, maybe even wearing gat masks and the red text is still true. I hope that's no the case, tho.
For one it would be quite lame if that was actually true and apart from that I think it was already pretty much proven in itself, that Rokkenjima itself could be considered a giant Closed Room, with no way in and no way out during the time of the typhoon.
If it were later disproven by a random storm-safe vehicle X...no that just wouldn't feel right and I think many people would feel cheated.
I think it really is more or less a stylistical device, that the real murders don't start happening until we can be absolutely sure that there are no ways to enter the island anymore.

Of course that does not keep us from assuming that there could be a way on the island to be considered 'on' and 'not on Rokkenjima' in the course of only a few moments...yet even that starts to feel cheap by now.
Old 2009-11-24, 08:21   Link #637
Qilin
Romanticist

Trivial question:
Does Beatrice have the title of "Lady" like Bernkastel and Lambdadelta?
Old 2009-11-24, 08:45   Link #638
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It is very rare but in a few occasions she has been called "Lady Beatrice" "ベアトリーチェ卿".

- Ep1 secret tea party by Bernkastel
- In Ep2 secret tea party, by Lambdadelta
- Ep2 ending at the Banquet Genji introduces her as "Lady Beatrice"
- Ep3 by Eva-Beatrice
- Ep3 by the siestas

Old 2009-11-24, 18:57   Link #639
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It is very rare but in a few occasions she has been called "Lady Beatrice" "ベアトリーチェ卿".

- Ep1 secret tea party by Bernkastel
- In Ep2 secret tea party, by Lambdadelta
- Ep2 ending at the Banquet Genji introduces her as "Lady Beatrice"
- Ep3 by Eva-Beatrice
- Ep3 by the siestas
Question: did you go and look for all of this, or do you have a massive collection of Umineko notes and theories on your hard drive somewhere? Because that was an impressive answer.
Old 2009-11-24, 19:01   Link #640
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The text of the novel can be extracted and that's a single simple txt file. I only needed to perform a search of "ベアトリーチェ卿"

Closed Thread

Tags
q&a