Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-09-23, 21:26   Link #21
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
Some ppl get the wrong impression that Kingdom hearts is a turn based rpg since it goes under the RPG catagory which makes ppl think that its turn based. You said you were tired of turn based RPGs but Kingdom hearts is simply an RPG in terms of the fact that you can level up. Kindgom hearts is kind of kiddish, so if you hate disney characters and how all the enemies can only die in a very poilte way, then dont get this game. This game also lacks a huge world with dungeons and etc. However it does have huge varity since your traveling between worlds, it can go from a jungle to a desert to a tundra atmosphere. Made for children but contains puzzles hard enough to confuse the more experienced players(the hard puzzles are usally optional though). It also is quite a hard challange if you want to go above and beyond and defeat the monsters in the fighting arenas and etc.
Oh, I knew that - I watch video game review shows sometimes ^^; and that's why I want to get that over most other RPGs. But right now I want to try other types of games, and especially ones where I feel like I can get somewhere quickly, and don't need to obsessively level up. It sounds good to me generally. The enemies dies politely? What does that mean?!?

And do you go to a different screen to fight? Happens in alot of RPGs. I wouldn't expect it of Kingdom Hearts, but the only RPG I've played where that doesn't happen is Dark Cloud 2 (gah, I can't get past the fishing part, and the voice annoy me).

And it seems the Naruto game is Japan only. Too bad, but not at all surprising. I wouldn't expect anime-related games to be brought over until after the anime has been licensed and proven successful.

Not sure I like random violence (probably wouldn't). I know I don't like random sex, but that's different (happens in all too many sci-fi/fantasy novels). I've been a little wary about the whole GTA franchise because I'm not sure it's the sort of thing I'd like.

I'll be checking out my local game store this weekend. They have a pretty reasonable used section of PS2 games as well as PSOne games (other systems too, but I don't care about them that much - they don't carry imports though). I can check the chain's website for their inventory, but I don't know about their prices. If they're alot higher at the store I'll just order something. If they have Sly Cooper or Soul Calibur 2 at a good price I'll probably get one of those (still thinking about Oni and Tenchu as well). I might still consider Kingdom Hearts, but I'll probably wait on that.

I'll also be trying to sell a used game and a couple of CDs at another store in the same area (carries games, but usually at high prices).

Thanks for all your help guys!
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 05:25   Link #22
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
GTA is not at all about random violence - unless you want it to be.

I would recommend Vice City. It's a great game with a great atmosphere and astounding production values - the radio talk shows are some of the funniest things I have ever heard.

Basically, you play the part of Tommy Vercetti, a member of the mafia who just got out of prison. You're sent down from Liberty City (GTA version of New York) to Vice City (Miami) to take care of the local deals done down there. You get ambushed during a business deal and lose all of the money, and now you have to pay it back. You earn money by performing missions for the crime lords in the city, which ranges from delivery and protection, hit-and-run and sabotage and the like. There's a rather large city to explore and hidden goodies to find.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 15:00   Link #23
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead
(still thinking about Oni and Tenchu as well)
I said it earlier and I'll say it again:

Tenchu....yes!
Oni....yes! (although, for ONI, if you have a PC that can handle it (not asking a lot), then it's a lot better on PC.
Old 2004-09-24, 17:33   Link #24
bubblehead

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
I said it earlier and I'll say it again:

Tenchu....yes!
Oni....yes! (although, for ONI, if you have a PC that can handle it (not asking a lot), then it's a lot better on PC.
Huh... I looked up its hardware and software requirements. It says it runs on Windows 98, 2000, or ME... Would it run on XP Pro (service pack one)? Because we have an OLD Windows 98 laptop, and two XP desktops... one of which, though I'm sure it otherwise meets the requirements, has no sound since we upgraded it from 98. But if it can run on XP it'd certainly run on the other XP computer, the XP Pro one. I can't even find the frigging laptop to check its specs. That's one of the problems with laptops. They're misplaceable. Desktops aren't.
Old 2004-09-24, 17:37   Link #25
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Hm... good question. I'm tempted to say that XP is completely backwards compatible with software for older OSes, but there have been times when that hasn't been the case.

I'd hold off attempting to buy it until you know the answer... unless you want to make a separate partition on your computer and find a version of ME or older lying around so you can have 2 OSes... fun stuff.
Old 2004-09-24, 18:22   Link #26
bubblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
Hm... good question. I'm tempted to say that XP is completely backwards compatible with software for older OSes, but there have been times when that hasn't been the case.

I'd hold off attempting to buy it until you know the answer... unless you want to make a separate partition on your computer and find a version of ME or older lying around so you can have 2 OSes... fun stuff.
I know XP isn't compatible with some 98 stuff and some DOS stuff, don't know about ME or 2000. All NT stuff I've tried works perfectly, though.
Old 2004-09-24, 18:46   Link #27
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
I know XP isn't compatible with some 98 stuff and some DOS stuff, don't know about ME or 2000. All NT stuff I've tried works perfectly, though.
I played Oni on XP, so I don't see why you should have any problems at all with it.
Old 2004-09-24, 19:22   Link #28
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

I also played Oni on Xp w/ no problems, but would suggest getting it on ps2 actually, ebgames has it preplayed for 5 bucks for ps2 anyways. I didn't think the game was all that incredible and the story didn't seem that great to me. Another game I'd suggest was Ico, can get it used off ebgames for like ten bucks, it had great visuals and an interesting story. Plus it was just compelling trying to get these two kids out of this castle/fortress that they've been imprisoned inside of.

Quote:
And do you go to a different screen to fight? Happens in alot of RPGs. I wouldn't expect it of Kingdom Hearts, but the only RPG I've played where that doesn't happen is Dark Cloud 2 (gah, I can't get past the fishing part, and the voice annoy me).
I didn't really find Kingdom Hearts to be as Kiddy as everyone makes it out to be, but then again I do carry a nostalgic love of things Disney so maybe that's just me. There are a few "kiddy" moments in the dialogue where they'll refer to friendship and lover and hearts but it's not enough that it'll annoy you or anything. The battles were realtime, and there was no seperate screen for it. You'll just be walking along and enemies will teleport in and you beat them up. The battles were almost Zelda 64 ish in the way that you fought them. Your teammates control themselves but you can order them to do things as well.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 23:16   Link #29
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Kingdom Hearts is a fun game.

And if you haven't played any RPG:s where there isn't a separate battle system - boy, you're so missing out. I am ordering you to purchase Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-25, 01:50   Link #30
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
I also played Oni on Xp w/ no problems, but would suggest getting it on ps2 actually, ebgames has it preplayed for 5 bucks for ps2 anyways. I didn't think the game was all that incredible and the story didn't seem that great to me. Another game I'd suggest was Ico, can get it used off ebgames for like ten bucks, it had great visuals and an interesting story. Plus it was just compelling trying to get these two kids out of this castle/fortress that they've been imprisoned inside of.

I didn't really find Kingdom Hearts to be as Kiddy as everyone makes it out to be, but then again I do carry a nostalgic love of things Disney so maybe that's just me. There are a few "kiddy" moments in the dialogue where they'll refer to friendship and lover and hearts but it's not enough that it'll annoy you or anything. The battles were realtime, and there was no seperate screen for it. You'll just be walking along and enemies will teleport in and you beat them up. The battles were almost Zelda 64 ish in the way that you fought them. Your teammates control themselves but you can order them to do things as well.
Bah......the control scheme for Oni fits much better on a PC where there are more buttons to work with- not to mention the graphics are crisper. I think most people who really like Oni will agree on this one.

And I really don't see what it was that everyone went crazy over with ICO. The game bored my to tears. Don't think I'm your typical shallow viewer, but it just wasn't my thing- it actually didn't seem to have enough story to me.
Old 2004-09-25, 21:28   Link #31
noir maou_sama

Dark Cloud 2? That's games just full of dungeons and almost nothing but dungeons. The georama system is the only comfort to me. I can only think of Grandia Extreme as being worst, but at least that game doesn't have random dungeons.
Since you're trying to save money, you can always go retro and get some PSOne games. It seems like you don't mind platformers, so I geuss I can recommend Crash Bandicoot 2 or Spyro the Dragon 1 and 2. Both were on greatest hits, but it seems that they were released in a pack or something. You could also try the other games in these two series, but I haven't recommended them because I haven't played them or haven't liked them as much(Crash 1 and 3, but you may think different). It's best to try those ones first to see if you even like the series. Back in the times where platforming domininated my gaming(now it's simply RPG for me), these were two games I enjoyed. I would play Spyyo again, but I never purchased them.
noir maou_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 12:00   Link #32
luffy

Send a message via MSN to luffy
i would reckomend kingdom hearts!!!!! it is so fun....i could speal off lots and lots of reasons and other games but im in school right now and i dont have time......but ya kingdm hearts ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! later i night tell more........ya and i hope everone on animesuki had a nice summer......
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 21:51   Link #33
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
^_____^ i am so glad someone else said armored core

only recommend it if you are patient enough with the customization and learning the controls.....after that, it should be a breeze and lots of challenge...and also fun

looks like nobody else enjoyed spider-man 2 cept me......well its a fun game that'll last about a day but i kept playing after i beat the game. i mostly just swung around new york city, climbing buildings, and delivering pizza.

it was pretty much GTA w/ spidey's powers and saving ppl.....the helping the weak part is pretty lame but i wasted many hours swinging from building to building......and trying to get to the statue of liberty....it was hard but i got there ^_____^

kingdom hearts....great game for everyone.....i must warn you of the headaches u might aquire from the camera angles but once u get use to it.....you'll love it....well i did ^____^

dont know a lot of games but i love the ones i have ^_____^ all of armored core for PS2, spiderman 2, the bouncer, FFX, and kingdom hearts

its a shame my kingdom hearts is all scratched up but i'm so satisfied with it =(
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 23:02   Link #34
LordNasuke
馬鹿である

try out The Bouncer its fairly old now so you can pick it up cheap, its also good to just pick up and play for an hour, with fun battles, the game itself is also very short so it doesnt take long to beat.
LordNasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 14:15   Link #35
Kouji
StrykerX

Mega Man X: Command Mission
- great characters
- cool battle features (Final Strike & Action Trigger etc...)
- MEGA MAN X8 demo
Old 2004-09-28, 18:09   Link #36
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNasuke
try out The Bouncer its fairly old now so you can pick it up cheap, its also good to just pick up and play for an hour, with fun battles, the game itself is also very short so it doesnt take long to beat.
The problem, as you state, is how UNBELIEVABLY short the game is. You can beat it in about 2 hours. Sure, there are a few extra scenes depending on who you choose to play as, and the graphics are very nice, but it just doesn't last long enough. You can play through the game multiple times to level up more and get a few more abilities- if you're that type of person- well, go for it, but I wasn't
Old 2004-09-29, 00:02   Link #37
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
The problem, as you state, is how UNBELIEVABLY short the game is. You can beat it in about 2 hours. Sure, there are a few extra scenes depending on who you choose to play as, and the graphics are very nice, but it just doesn't last long enough. You can play through the game multiple times to level up more and get a few more abilities- if you're that type of person- well, go for it, but I wasn't
Exactly, when the game came out my roommate at college at the time bought the game the day it came out and before the night was over had beat the game. It's simply not worth the 50 bucks it was sold for at the time. However, if you can get a copy for 20 or less it could be worth it. It was a fun game, just too short for the money spent.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-29, 10:56   Link #38
luffy

Send a message via MSN to luffy
um ya hi.......ok here we go
there is tenchu 3 which rocks.......stealth kills muuhawhaw! 2 player is a nice option as well......
ohoh and one of my all time favorite games is dynasty warriors 4.....really only because you can run around killing hundreds of people like flyes!
need for speed hot pusuite 2 is fun if you like racing.....and smashing cops!!!!
A game that is comeing out called alien hominid looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!with all the CHUU!!CHUU!! and BANG BANG!! and killing of F.B.I. agents!!
SSX-3 is fun it make you love snowboarding games...if you dont allready.....

really all ps2 games are good it just dependes on what type of games you like....
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote