AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-16, 14:55   Link #581
ZaLhErA
Undine of the Rebellion

Well , I enjoyed this show until the end except...

Spoiler for ending:
ZaLhErA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 13:42   Link #582
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I decided to take a look at this series after hearing some good things about it. Before i download it, which fansuuber group sub this series better, Anime Yoshi or anonymous speed subs?
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 15:35   Link #583
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I decided to take a look at this series after hearing some good things about it. Before i download it, which fansuuber group sub this series better, Anime Yoshi or anonymous speed subs?
AniYoshi is the only group that did the middle part of the anime so you have to get them anyway. a.s.s did only the latter episodes when AniYoshi was stalled. The AniYoshi epsiodes I've seen were better but I don't know if their quality remained the same after they started releasing again because IIRC (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) they got a new translator. Nevertheless you should get AniYoshi's episodes up to 24 and only switch to a.s.s if you see a significant drop in translation quality in the latter part.
Old 2008-12-12, 02:07   Link #584
Tiran86

Ugh, just finished this, and I'm so disappointed. The second half absolutely blows compared to the first half. I loved the idea of switching to the children after the parent's story is finished, but it was so badly done.

Lillia is such a bland character compared to her mother, The only thing she did was get taken hostage and get angry at Treize. Treize had his moments, but overall was a weak character.

First half was great, second half was mediocre at best. The ending was down right terrible. I'll give it a 7/10, because I really liked the first half.

They should have ended it with Treize and Lillia kissing as the train went over the cliff. That would have been a memorable (and hilarious) ending and represented the second half of the series pretty well.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 06:39   Link #585
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I've been following AniYoshi's releases, so I still haven't seen the last episode, but I have to ask about ep 25, since it maketh no sense.

So Ann betrayed Wil. Her motives are fair enough, if hackneyed. But, what exactly did she do to help the bad-guys. They didn't exactly make that clear. And then she decides, after planning her revenge against Wil so carefully, that she should save him. What? But the thing that just makes simply no sense at all to me was that Wil was so quick to forgive her. I mean, what she did was basically treason. I don't understand how he could find it in his heart to let her continue serving on their mission, when her actions almost certainly should have gotten her court-martialed.

I mean, really. This show can be seriously unclear at times about its logic.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 06:44   Link #586
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

As far as I can tell, Ann has not betrayed Will at all. She was merely considering killing him if she had the chance. It was a chance that had not yet appeared. No treason had occurred except in her heart and I think she discovered the truth of her heart when she responded to gunfire by stepping in front of him. Treason just isn't in her soul even if she mourns her father's death.

This is not one of those many times when the show lacks sense.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 07:53   Link #587
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

You see, I don't think that was presented clearly. Wil was busy mulling over whether the incidents that had happened on the train were linked, and then a timely look of guilt from Ann suddenly gives away that she was contemplating the possibility of betraying him. I got the impression that Ann was somehow linked to the whole assassination plot when, according to your interpretation, the two are in fact completely disconnected (except for the fact that this is the best opportunity for betrayal that she's had). They needed to make it more clear that Ann had nothing to do with the assassination plot, since it muddied two supposedly separate issues.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 03:36   Link #588
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

You say that it isn't clear for you, but it never even occurred to me that there was any connection between Ann and the current plot. Her situation seems to exist mostly to provide a counterpoint to all the other revenge stories that have been presented before now.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 03:13   Link #589
stewie0814

Hmm, well i was waiting for aniyoshis releases and finally finished watching this. While I agree that the first half was better, the 2nd half was enjoyable too, I also hoped they had explained how the things that happened happened.

This was definitely one of my favorite shows this year, most of the episodes were pretty exciting and intriguing . I dont know about the manga/novels, if theres more story after this, but it would certainly be nice if there would be a second season of this, although I don't think this was such a popular show, which is a shame

Quote:
You see, I don't think that was presented clearly. Wil was busy mulling over whether the incidents that had happened on the train were linked, and then a timely look of guilt from Ann suddenly gives away that she was contemplating the possibility of betraying him. I got the impression that Ann was somehow linked to the whole assassination plot when, according to your interpretation, the two are in fact completely disconnected (except for the fact that this is the best opportunity for betrayal that she's had). They needed to make it more clear that Ann had nothing to do with the assassination plot, since it muddied two supposedly separate issues.
As for this, betrayal never crossed my mind either. I think she connected the dots after mathilda told her that Lillia was his daughter
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 18:46   Link #590
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Well, I decided to pick this series back up - I didn't feel compelled back then to watch past 4 waaaayyy back. I'm finally up to the halfway point, and now there is a permanent palm mark over my face. DEADBEAT DAD ANIMUs.
I'm going to finish this now no matter what.

EDIT: Okay, so it's a non-issue, but my point still stands.

Last edited by fict_ticious; 2009-04-07 at 19:12.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 08:38   Link #591
Frozen_Skye
Vampire

Does anyone know where I can get the light novels in English? I'm so not satisfied with the Anime ending and I need morrreee!!
Frozen_Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 21:45   Link #592
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Skye View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the light novels in English? I'm so not satisfied with the Anime ending and I need morrreee!!
None exist at the moment. Dunno if they've made it to other east-asian languages (you have a better bet there).
Old 2009-04-22, 21:49   Link #593
strategos

Just finished the series. The first half was awesome, the second was good. I am curious about something; Shinsensub release first four episode, what does it mean by linked chapters version??

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 06:58   Link #594
Frozen_Skye
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
None exist at the moment. Dunno if they've made it to other east-asian languages (you have a better bet there).
Lol guess I'll ahve to try for a chinese one. It'll take me twice as long to read.
Frozen_Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 07:18   Link #595
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
Just finished the series. The first half was awesome, the second was good. I am curious about something; Shinsensub release first four episode, what does it mean by linked chapters version??
Look here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=66444
Old 2009-12-02, 11:26   Link #596
durack

Just finished the series...well...I enjoyed it but there were a LOT of major groan-worthy moments (mostly related to retarded conspiracies and retarted villains) From reading the thread, I am willing to give the novels the benefit of the doubt and blame the scenario writers.

To be honest, though, I am a very forgiving watcher and if I like the characters, I am willing to overlook major plot stupidity, as such I had a great time watching this show even though I was rolling my eyes frequently.

Wish there was a market for light novels here in the US.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 10:33   Link #597
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
A somewhat useless intro. Skip if you feel bored.

Spoiler:

G.I.Joe or Captain Planet were successful in their time when children were not that critical and knew less about technology or the internet than the average adult. Today, the little rascals can outsmart even me at times and the demand on entertainment is a lot higher. So imagine a series such as Allison to Lilia popping up to give a try.
It won’t work!
It might have been a success if made in the 80’s or even the 90’s but even then it would feel less captivating than an old series such as The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Or the Duck Tales, yeah, good luck beating that masterpiece. It is simply too silly compared to the themes it incorporates.

Now let me try to be more specific. This anime is like having My Little Pony characters in a Saving Private Ryan setting. It just makes no sense! How can you expect to have a war raging on and the characters are all so simplistic, especially when the story is not a pure comedy? How are you supposed to feel drama or tension from a cast that is so easily divided into good and bad people and whose problems can be resolved in the most childish, bloodless, simplistic means possible?

Maybe I sound overcritical but just try to follow my reasoning here. Tom and Jerry is quite the violent cartoon and has immortal characters, yet you can laugh with all that because the violence is used purely for slapstick. But here, the series is trying to make you feel worried about the future of the world because a scary war is waging on and the characters have to find a way to stop it before it’s too late. Well excuse me, without making the violence more bold or the story less serious, there are no connection points between the two.
Do you believe how much I compare an anime with Western cartoons? It’s because it feels even less interesting than those!
This formula worked great for anime like Slayers or Baccano because they were mostly comedies that anything else. Over here it’s like making spaghetti without the pasta and lacking even the sauce to fool your taste. I’m sorry; it doesn’t work. It couldn’t work. Especially in this decade. Even less if you have watched Full Metal Alchemist an action/ adventure that offers all the same elements and even a mountain worth or more.

Ok, back to more of an orthodox text. The animation and the music are just fine, with bright colors, cute looking/sounding characters and a world bursting with life. Very fitting for a storyless romantic comedy but unfortunately it’s a war drama / teen adventure combo that doesn’t feel scary or dirty or gruesome in any way. The atmosphere is off by miles. Plus, even production values are not in their best considering the year it was made. I give a 7 in both just for being nice and nothing else.

Story is a joke… without being funny. It is separated into two halves, with a pair of boy-girl in each. The first half had the kindness to try offering a story of sorts. A silly one but a story nonetheless, about the pair trying to stop the war between their countries in the most silly way possible. But the second half is just an aimless adventure without a clear goal or purpose, as if the scriptwriters were on strike and the whole arc is just filler. Talk about something bad becoming worse. I give a 3 for not trying much and then giving up … just like Tite Kubo.

The characters are just 2-dimensional archetypes you can easily find in better versions in almost any other similar show. The “butchy girl and the spineless boy in love but too dense to realize” trope has seen far better days than these two paper couples. Support cast and villains are or Pokemon level, as their role is just like a repetitive croak: “Support-support!” “Evil-evil!”. Yeah, ok, take a 4 and come back when you evolve or something.

Value and Enjoyment are as far as I’m concerned rock-bottom. There are sooooo many similar and yet sooooo much better series like this one, you might as well delete this one from your memory. Yes, it is that unimportant. So blunt and uniteresting, it isn’t even worthy of being remembered as a bad example of how to make a good show.

And now excuse me; I will now go watch the latest One Piece episode. Death and violence are also a joke there but at least it is funny.

SUGGESTION LIST
The Mysterious Cities of Gold
Full Metal Alchemist
Duck Tales

Average: 4/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, historical, shounen