AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-26, 15:42   Link #361
Kudryavka

What? How can you like yaoi/yuri, then turn around and be against homosexuality??

Hope they all grow up and get some sense.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 20:34   Link #362
DemonOfWrath

Yeah, "I don't want lesbians in my yuri" is so inherently contradictory that, what?
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 20:58   Link #363
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonOfWrath View Post
Yeah, "I don't want lesbians in my yuri" is so inherently contradictory that, what?
It really makes me sad that there are people who fantasize about homosexuality like this. They think that it is only there so that they can ogle the girls or boys involved, and don't actually respect homosexuality at all.

I just would think that if you don't like homosexuality, then don't watch yaoi or yuri... I guess this falls in line with how some guys love seeing "hot girls making out", but don't want to know about the gay pride parade in their town.

I just think people should at least ignore what does not affect them, not be against it.
Old 2013-01-26, 21:11   Link #364
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Its not about the feelings. Its about the touching, the groping, the inappropriate molesting the girls do to guy. And not a hot guy, not a popular guy, all to some quiet, plain jane guy. Since when did people like that get all the hot girls swarming to him? Seems like self-insert sue or something.
OBJECTION!

Ayumu (Zombie Desuka), Kinji (Hidan No Aria), Wataru (Sister Princess), Tarou (MM!), Koushi (Sumomomo) and Saitou (Zero No Tsukaima) are all pretty hot in my personal opinion.

That might not be obvious to a male audience but..yeah, female audiences DO find them attractive. Granted, there are harem leads that are really pathetic and not sexy at all, yes, but not ALL of them are 'plain janes' like that.

Quote:
What? How can you like yaoi/yuri, then turn around and be against homosexuality??
I can relate to this. I'm fine with Y/Y in anime and manga but when I see it in REAL life?
It makes me very uncomfortable. There were once two girls making out in the store where I work. I found it pretty gross. For one thing, little kids could end up seeing that! For another, GET A ROOM already!! That's entirely inappropriate in a public place!
Old 2013-01-26, 21:22   Link #365
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
OBJECTION!

Ayumu (Zombie Desuka), Kinji (Hidan No Aria), Wataru (Sister Princess), Tarou (MM!), Koushi (Sumomomo) and Saitou (Zero No Tsukaima) are all pretty hot in my personal opinion.

That might not be obvious to a male audience but..yeah, female audiences DO find them attractive.
Now Im not saying they cant get girls... Im just saying that guys who arent popular and arent hot dont get tons of hot girls. Of course they can get some, but not like harem will have you believe. Not in high school at least. tbh I believe no guy in high school can get that many girls at one time except those sluts in the "Teenagers" movie.

And all the guys you mentioned are cool in some way. I was more talking about harem leads from the dumber stuff (I personally dont like them but I guess Im not all women huh. )
Old 2013-01-26, 21:29   Link #366
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be fair, there are some anime shows that I think are more about idealizing close female friendships and/or school life in general. These shows might have light yuri subtext, but the charm doesn't go away even if you assume that all/almost all the girls in it are heterosexual.

K-On! and MariMite are two such anime shows, imo.

That being said, there's a certain level of subtext where I honestly find it insulting to my intelligence to not admit that there's more going on here than just friendship.
Old 2013-01-26, 21:40   Link #367
Chiibi

Quote:
I was more talking about harem leads from the dumber stuff
That one from Girls Bravo is definitely lamer than lame. I don't care much for the one from Sora No Otoshimono. He's really annoying. But some fans like him because he's a pervert.
Old 2013-01-26, 23:17   Link #368
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I can relate to this. I'm fine with Y/Y in anime and manga but when I see it in REAL life?
It makes me very uncomfortable. There were once two girls making out in the store where I work. I found it pretty gross. For one thing, little kids could end up seeing that! For another, GET A ROOM already!! That's entirely inappropriate in a public place!
I'm like the opposite. I dislike the lesbian relationships in anime because its all about cute and moe targeted to us men... and seems to ignore the "what true in lesbians in reality".

I'm always repeating these cliche in yuri anime that I say is very unrealistic.

> Yuri girls in a yuri school with yuri staff and no men.... even the janitor and guard are women having yuri relationship. Student and teacher. Student and student. And the funny part., I never ever heard a phrase like "You are a lesbian?' Nah... never heard it before....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 06:06   Link #369
Kudryavka

Quote:
Well that got nothing to do with being lesbian, they shouldnt have been kissing like that there anyway.

Unless you're saying you would have been ok if a het couple were doing that, in which case I don't get you.
Old 2013-01-27, 07:07   Link #370
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I'm like the opposite. I dislike the lesbian relationships in anime because its all about cute and moe targeted to us men... and seems to ignore the "what true in lesbians in reality".

I'm always repeating these cliche in yuri anime that I say is very unrealistic.

> Yuri girls in a yuri school with yuri staff and no men.... even the janitor and guard are women having yuri relationship. Student and teacher. Student and student. And the funny part., I never ever heard a phrase like "You are a lesbian?' Nah... never heard it before....
There are all-girls schools in real life you know. Such schools having no male staff doesn't strike me as that hard to swallow.

Yuri anime isn't perfectly realistic, of course. It does have some flaws. But I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be.

And while the specific term "lesbian" typically doesn't get used, I have seen some yuri shows where differentiation is made between girls that "like girls that way" and girls that don't.
Old 2013-01-27, 07:48   Link #371
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There are all-girls schools in real life you know. Such schools having no male staff doesn't strike me as that hard to swallow.
I knew that and that's the reason why I dislike it. Do they portrait the real lesbian couples? No, I'm sure of that... ok.. 80% I guess..

Quote:
Yuri anime isn't perfectly realistic, of course.
I'm glad you accept that fact unlike some out there. Watching two girls liking the same thing, the same kind of pantsu, the same kind of skirts, same kind of dream walking in a wedding dress... both of them.. creeps me out!!!! I played all of the Sono Hanabira and these are some that I dislike.. except for the ero scenes.. ahahahah!!!!

Anyway going back...

Quote:
And while the specific term "lesbian" typically doesn't get used, I have seen some yuri shows where differentiation is made between girls that "like girls that way" and girls that don't.
I do as well, that's why my yuri vibes are very strong... I just don't understand why it has to be that the lesbians in anime are usually the girls we less expected..... an ojou-sama, the shy types, a priestess and even a yamato-nadeshiko! Oh, my...*face palm.

The point also is that it caters for the males and not the concern group....

And lastly the participation of other family members is limited.. I doubt they could make a yuri version od Clannad...

Until, the authors of yuri understands and incorporate the real life and romances of real couples.. it will always leave a mark as "fan service"...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-27 at 08:02.
Old 2013-01-27, 09:48   Link #372
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I knew that and that's the reason why I dislike it.
I'm not sure if I'm following you here. Are you saying that all-girls schools aren't a likely place for lesbians to be at?

Well, I think it makes some sense for a teenage lesbian to want to go to an all-girls school, lol.

Quote:
I do as well, that's why my yuri vibes are very strong... I just don't understand why it has to be that the lesbians in anime are usually the girls we less expected..... an ojou-sama, the shy types, a priestess and even a yamato-nadeshiko! Oh, my...*face palm.
With the first three, I'm not sure why it's odd for them to be lesbians. I'll grant you that the yamato-nadeshiko being a lesbian does seem a bit contradictory, yeah.

Still, most of the "heavily implied" lesbians in anime are a fairly diverse group.

Nanoha is a fairly normal girl. Fate is a bit on the quiet side, but she's not too far off from normal. Homura's character goes through quite a bit of evolution, and she feels like a fully realized character because of it (i.e. not really an archetype). Kyouko is a fiery, tomboyish redhead. Sayaka is a slightly tomboyish genki girl. The one confirmed lesbian in MariMite is also tomboyish. Saki Miyanaga is slightly boyish with a very "normal girl" personality (her mahjong talents notwithstanding). Nodoka is a dream girl for either gender.

Quote:
And lastly the participation of other family members is limited..
In fairness, parents in general are often absent from anime. Clannad is the exception even for het romances in anime.

I do like the idea of a yuri version of Clannad, though. Part of a Madoka Magica fanfic I wrote was somewhat in that vein.

I would like to see yuri become a bit more realistic, sure. But I think a lot of its flaws are just common anime flaws (like lack of parents).
Old 2013-01-27, 12:24   Link #373
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm following you here. Are you saying that all-girls schools aren't a likely place for lesbians to be at?

Well, I think it makes some sense for a teenage lesbian to want to go to an all-girls school, lol.
Yes, there will always be lesbians.. even in mixed schools.... What I'm saying, is they're far different as anime shows to us.

Quote:
I'll grant you that the yamato-nadeshiko being a lesbian does seem a bit contradictory, yeah.
What I meant was these are very feminine types and as we normally see, most lesbians are masculine in behavior and even in appearance...

Quote:
Nanoha is a fairly normal girl. Fate is a bit on the quiet side, but she's not too far off from normal. Homura's character goes through quite a bit of evolution, and she feels like a fully realized character because of it (i.e. not really an archetype). Kyouko is a fiery, tomboyish redhead. Sayaka is a slightly tomboyish genki girl. The one confirmed lesbian in MariMite is also tomboyish. Saki Miyanaga is slightly boyish with a very "normal girl" personality (her mahjong talents notwithstanding). Nodoka is a dream girl for either gender.
Oh my.... really? Thank goodness I wasn't wrong.... but wait ...Homura?! Anyway.. as if I'll watch them... Hmmm... so Nanoha is lesbian? I nearly got beaten when I ask if she was... I even did a research to validate the claim...Hah! Poor girl... LOLs. Glad I stick to the doujinshi where she shares her husband with Fate...
Old 2013-01-27, 12:58   Link #374
Triple_R
*Author

Just to be clear, most of the anime girls I mentioned are not totally confirmed lesbians (and, in Sayaka's case, I'm inclined to think she's bi-sexual due to her obviously very strong feelings for Kyousuke Kamijo). I'm just giving examples of popular anime characters that are widely thought of, amongst many anime fans, to be attracted to other girls. And as we see with them, there's some character variety there.
Old 2013-01-27, 12:59   Link #375
Chiibi

Quote:
Still, most of the "heavily implied" lesbians in anime are a fairly diverse group.
Man, am I glad you put that in quotes. XD

Quote:
Oh my.... really? Thank goodness I wasn't wrong.... but wait ...Homura?! Anyway.. as if I'll watch them... Hmmm... so Nanoha is lesbian? I nearly got beaten when I ask if she was... I even did a research to validate the claim...Hah! Poor girl... LOLs.
Sayaka from Madoka actually has a male love interest. It's not out-right stated that Homura or Nanoha are. It's really all subtext. So if you don't like that stuff, it's perfectly safe for you to watch. Some fans just read into the girls' friendship a bit more.
I ship NanoYuuno >:I

Quote:
Well that got nothing to do with being lesbian, they shouldnt have been kissing like that there anyway.

Unless you're saying you would have been ok if a het couple were doing that, in which case I don't get you.
PDA's generally unacceptable in stores. I had to tell a hetero couple to knock it off when a customer reported how they were "getting intimate" on one of our couches for sale. Geeze!! We're trying to sell furniture here-nobody's going to want to buy it if you are doing THAT.

However it's more likely for a mother to complain if two same-sex people are kissing in front of her kid than a hetero one. (We are a Christian store).
Old 2013-01-27, 13:48   Link #376
Kudryavka

Quote:
What I meant was these are very feminine types and as we normally see, most lesbians are masculine in behavior and even in appearance...
Nooo... don't play into the stereotype...

Being masculine has nothing to do with being lesbian. I've met plenty of girly lesbians.
Old 2013-01-27, 13:58   Link #377
Shyni

Quote:
It's not out-right stated that Homura or Nanoha are. It's really all subtext. So if you don't like that stuff, it's perfectly safe for you to watch. Some fans just read into the girls' friendship a bit more.
Didn't Nanoha at least make it clear she finds Fate pretty? Homura didn't have anything like that towards Madoka.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 14:07   Link #378
Kudryavka

imho Homura just loved Madoka as a dear friend.

But diff fans will see it differently.
Old 2013-01-27, 14:29   Link #379
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Didn't Nanoha at least make it clear she finds Fate pretty? Homura didn't have anything like that towards Madoka.
Quote:
imho Homura just loved Madoka as a dear friend.

But diff fans will see it differently.
Nanoha went on and on about Fate's eyes in a downright romantic way, imo.

Also, and this is a true story, I showed one of my two sisters (who has little familiarity with anime, and is pretty liberally-minded) the Season 1 scene of Nanoha and Fate hugging each other and crying over their reunion, and my sister very casually and confidently went "Yeah, they're gay".

With Homura, I just find her incredible level of dedication to Madoka to be hard to swallow unless Homura is madly in love with Madoka. But maybe that's just me.
Old 2013-01-27, 14:38   Link #380
Shyni

I think how Homura acts towards Madoka is still believable regardless of sexuality, since I know at least one show where somebody does basically the same thing for their sister, although it's not an anime (but still Japanese). If you watch Kamen Rider Ryuki, the way Shiro Kanzaki is motivated in protecting his sister Yui is very similar to how Homura is towards Madoka, and I think the way that show played out was that they had abusive/neglectful parents, and the two siblings only ever hung out with each other during their childhood.

Spoiler for Ryuki stuff:

This is relevant since Madoka in general was compared quite a bit with Ryuki.

Last edited by Shyni; 2013-01-27 at 15:52.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad