Innocent Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
イノセント・ヴィーナス
Innocent Venus

http://www.innocent-v.com/

From AnimeNfo:

Quote:
AD 2010, Hyper Hurricanes born concurrently all over the world bring severer damage to the world. 5 billion people lose their lives, and the population decreases from 9 billion to 3 billion, and they lose economy and military balances. North America, Russia, and North Europe are frozen, the plains sink into the sea, the world map changes dramatically, and they enter into chaotic era.

Japanese government creates special economic area, and they have achieved limited recovery from the disaster. Powered Assist Technology, which had been studied for long, has played an important role for the recovery. However, poverty grows in other area, and slums spread. The ruling class call themselves “Logos”. They introduce Powered Assist Technology into military. They call the poverty class “Revenus”, and they sent Revenus outside the wall.

Time has passed since then. The main character Katsuragi Jo and Tsurasawa Hitoshi escape from “Phantom” taking out a mysterious girl Noto Saya. Phantom is a special force organized to watch Regenus and to suppress the renegade elements of the Logos. The story revolves around Saya with complex web of many people's motives.
Genre: Sci-fi, Mecha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Some more info on Innocent Venus from http://www.animenewsservice.com/:

Quote:
With a scheduled telecast due to begin in July, 2006, WOWOW has announced it's new TV Animation "Innocent Venus". Original story by INNOCENT PROJECT, Director: Jun Kawagoe (eX-Driver OAV), Series Composition by Shinsuke Onishi, Original Character Concept: Takaya Hoshi, Chara Design by Nagamachi Hideki (Kamichu), Animation Production: Brains Base.
Animation studio Brains Base were responsible for Gunparade Orchestra (uh-oh) and Kamichu (yay!).
First episode recently aired (Thursday, 12:00 AM Japan Time). Might be scheduled for only 12 episodes. Loads of violence. Head shots, blood spewing, knives in necks, gurgling corpses, etc. The backgrounds are nice. Grim, apocalyptic, slow motion atomic energy, dark.

Title/Logo and a few random screen caps:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-07-26 at 19:55. Reason: I suspect cat typing.
Old 2006-07-26, 20:09   Link #2
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Good episode. The little street boy looked like something that ran away from Studio 4C though. 8)

The animation is good, but it's only the first episode, so I am not getting excited just yet.

The characters are not very groundbreaking (a silent killer type? a special little girl from some secret project? I've seen that before), but it's wasn't annoying and the show is bloody and violent enough not to be totally cliche.

I think I might be watching more of this, even if just to check whether it actually is good, or whether the first episode was a fluke where all the budget was spend on cool fight animation. 8)
Old 2006-07-26, 20:53   Link #3
jpwong

Seems like something to watch. You catch some of the names of those world powers/continents when they showed the map? All of America (North+South) is just labeled The States of Freedom, there's The Commonwealth of Australia, Japan, Russian Federation, South Africa, North Africa, European Union, Arab Union and the Asian Union.
Old 2006-07-26, 23:07   Link #4
evil-samurai

Interesting first episode. Watching Jo & Jin destroying and killing all those soldiers towards the start was awesome though I'm not really fond of the mecha, guess I just get used to that.

The Dark atmosphere and great animation has got me really interested, looking forward to next week.
Old 2006-07-26, 23:19   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
First episode recently aired (Thursday, 12:00 AM Japan Time). Might be scheduled for only 12 episodes. Loads of violence. Head shots, blood spewing, knives in necks, gurgling corpses, etc. The backgrounds are nice. Grim, apocalyptic, slow motion atomic energy, dark.
I think I am gonna check this anime for a few episodes and see how it turns out.
Old 2006-07-27, 00:03   Link #6
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Is anyone subbing this? Sadly I cannot understand Japanese.
Old 2006-07-27, 00:24   Link #7
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Reading the synopsis and understanding after watching the episodes, the whole world experienced a cataclysm; natural or man-provoked?

Japan created a super economy to recover, however, it established a society of a top and elite ruling class and supressed poverty class.

Japan becomes and remains as the only superpower nation on the world.

Of course, there's Marxist dissidence leading to strife and chaos to overthrow the government.

The military developed cybernetic armors and mecha units called Heavy Warriors to squash the resistance.

We have been introduced to four characters of the cast who are now playing on the side that's been slaughtered and silenced by the government.

Saya (I originally heard her name as Sana). I like her design and child quirks, reflecting her innocence and loss due to the ongoing war. Her pink hair and blue eyes are the most prominent of her traits, and she looks an ideal moe IMO.

Hitoshi (I also heard his name as Jin called by Sana). Voiced by one of my preferred seiyuu, Takahiro Sakurai. Even among disadvantageous of places or despairing situations, manages to keep his cool and calculating frivolity to pull out tactical maneuvers.

Jo. The silent wolf type, and presuming he and Sana will be bonding as the story unfolds.

Gora. Peculiar mix of Loki and Pan, but his character looks distasteful and annoying to me with his nonsensical quirks. More of the crude humor, comic relief character.

It was about time for me to start investing my interest in sci-fi drama anime of this type. Most about Sana and Jo's views on the current apocalypse that are experiencing through between innocence and brutality.

Animation is versatile and stylized IMO, much in the same caliber to R.O.D. - The TV series and Fantastic Children.

I was able to catch a tune for the OP in the preview, and I'm anxiously waiting for it in the next episode.
Old 2006-07-27, 02:02   Link #8
SinsI

Too bad the OP wasn't there - I really liked the one Yousei Teikoku sang for Magical Poka~n.
The cast features some of my favourite seiyu (yay! Revy is back as Renny).
Great art and animation quality also resembles Black Lagoon.
The post-apocalyptic theme is played quite good, even the mecha part(I hate mecha!) was acceptable.
Is this aired in HD? (would be a shame not to)
Old 2006-07-27, 07:41   Link #9
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

This seems interesting. I'll try watching this for a bit before reviewing.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2006-07-27, 16:27   Link #10
ntsan

Looks like another interesting anime
Old 2006-07-27, 21:21   Link #11
DaFool
Resident devil

As usual while trying out the new shows so that the Gun Musashis and Zaizen Jotarous can be chucked out, came across this.

I think we have a winner!

Original Story (no manga nor light novel nor eroge to butcher)
+
Uber-cute loli (from the designer of Kamichu! no less)
+
2 Cool Bishounen (in the tradition of Wolf's Rain)
+
Well-designed CG mecha (good motion, realistic / military design)
+
Unapologetic violence (with well-choreographed action)
+
New World Order scenario (fascist police states, reduced Americas, unified Asian bloc, population reduction)

I won't be surprised if the plot contains secret societies, genetic engineering, Marxists, etc. But setting the stage for 2010 is driving it a little too close, most Fourth Reich writers predict more likely 2020~ish or so.
Old 2006-07-27, 23:17   Link #12
SinsI

Are you sure the setting itself is 2010? I though the cataclysm/catastrophe/hurricane that destroyed most of population was 2010, but the story itself goes on a lot later.
Old 2006-07-27, 23:39   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI
Are you sure the setting itself is 2010? I though the cataclysm/catastrophe/hurricane that destroyed most of population was 2010, but the story itself goes on a lot later.
The official website has established the timeline of the story.
http://www.innocent-v.com/story.html

Episode one starts on the year 2035 A.D., that is twenty-five years later after the Hyper Hurricane crisis swept the world.

Interesting to note is that the Americas, Europe, Africa, and the rest of Asia survived the cataclysm. However, what they lost was a great deal of their inland Great Plains that sunk underwater, once the sea-level rose.
Old 2006-07-28, 10:07   Link #14
evil-samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226
Is anyone subbing this? Sadly I cannot understand Japanese.
KissSub is subbing it =) Mabye.. Ramen-subs will & also Umai (new group) could be.

One thing I'm thankfull of so far is that they aren't any annoying voices >.> that 'frog boy' might be a bit on the weird... side but at least he doesn't sound crap =) So far all the VA has been good. Also... I noticed that as well as airing right before Inukami, Innocent Venus also shares a couple of VA =)

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-07-28 at 10:19.
Old 2006-07-28, 12:59   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
...I think we have a winner...!
That's what it looks like to me, too. I was impressed by some of the movements. And the pacing of things. The story made sense. And the characters, too...even if I am weirded out by the strange boy. The girl is a nice combination of soft and tough. The bishounen are good. And little as I generally like mecha, this one worked for me. Good fight choreography, for sure.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-07-28, 13:12   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I can understand the cautious, reserve tone eveyone here seems to be maintaining, considering this is ONLY the first episode of a mecha show with its usual plot, I simply thought the episode was awesome!

No annoying voice cast so far, no pretense about the gravity of violence, very good animation, and pretty good use of CG. Episode 2 will pretty much confirm if this series is a winner or not, but I consider this show is a winner already for the violence alone. If this series is projected to have 12 episodes, then the length alone should make it a very enjoyable series.
Old 2006-07-30, 09:51   Link #17
ReSnake
All-knowing Wonderbra

The 1st episode was really awesome,I hope things continue like this ^-^
Old 2006-07-30, 11:03   Link #18
lavielove

Spoiler:

Orchunter226 @#19 totally agree with you on to that ^^

another one more thing is that
Spoiler:

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-07-30 at 13:05.
Old 2006-07-30, 12:37   Link #19
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Wow, if all the episodes are as good as the first this will be one awesome show. The action was all very well coordinated and fit in with the story line perfect; it wasn't just there for fan service.

The animation quality was good, and the music was awesome. I really like the track playing when Gora is running back to the hideout.
Old 2006-07-30, 14:28   Link #20
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

Looks interesting. Will see what i think about it after a few eps.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Closed Thread

Tags
action