AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-03-02, 22:33   Link #24561
HasuMasu
*Artist

Apparently it has a 7th Generation IS.
Old 2012-03-02, 22:46   Link #24562
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@yes, they do. But particle accelerator are built to be able to contain the excited particle mass. Coil guns only need the coils to keep the slug in place, the particle accelerator requires a tube or chamber to keep the particle from bouncing out.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 23:06   Link #24563
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

But by theory they can share the same barrel right? What would be, err, the drawback? the benefits?

I was thinking about applying this to Blue Tears's Sagittarius Rifle, which Cecilia gained in Second Shift, fired solid projectile and energy.

If this is implausible and/or impractical, I'd choose the good old double barrel design (think Oxtongue Rifle from SRW)
Old 2012-03-02, 23:51   Link #24564
demino_hellsin
That one guy

The principles between the beam rifle and the coilgun are simple.

The coil gun requires the magnetic field to propel the slug forward and simply forward.

However, the beam weapons are different because of their small size and the fact that they're particles. A beam is only fired as a beam when its clustered together. A particle accelerator excites the particles and feeds them into a focusing lens/chamber/barrel before actually being shot out. Without a focusing module, the beams come out as a diffused or easily dispersed beam. This is the main difference between RX78 and its brethren GMs' beam rifles., the former had a focuser; the latter didn't.
Old 2012-03-02, 23:58   Link #24565
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Means that the magnetic field had to be reconfigured according to that purpose.

Or else, instead of beam sniper we have a glorified flamethrower.

Have any solution for that? Variable magnet rings? barrel attachment module? if not, I'll just stick to double barrel then.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:04   Link #24566
demino_hellsin
That one guy

an implausible solution really.

The coil guns can be dispersed a bit wider and in between each coil, we ad another set of coil. These other set of coils are all focusers. Not sure how effective it would be though.

The only difference in mode switch is that while in physical mode, the second set of coils are off while the beam mode has the second set on.

The loading chamber for the slug can be either before or after the particle accelerator. Either way you need to add protection to both from interfereing with each other. The particle accelerator will be a bit hollow to make room for the particles to jumble around; but since it's a coil gun, you really only need a loading chamber since there's no combustion involved.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:15   Link #24567
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

This is getting ugly.

My actual intention is that trading the huge blow of Starlight Rifle and other kids of energy rifle ever mounted on BT platform and it's predecessor. You notice they have INSANELY huge caliber (7 inch in canon, 5 inch in my fanon), more like beam cannon than beam rifle, their scope also impractically huge, but probably necessary if you need to use it to snipe something more than normal visual targeting system can allow.

My intention is that the rrifle has much smaller barrel width and magnetic bottle than before, allowing higher magnetic force to be applied in smaller area, and thus longer range and better accuracy. But seems like the idea of combined coilgun-beam gun is not feasible, or at the least impractical
Old 2012-03-03, 00:20   Link #24568
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Just to be honest here. In one design I had, the loading chamber and the particle accelerator are both the same. The only difference is that in beam mode, the slug clip is ejected/disconnected from the focus chamber.

Instead of a coil gun approach, I used a rail gun. Normally it only propels the slug forward, but apply a slight magnetic disturbance in the field and it causes a tilted magnetic force. That way, it can act as both focuser and propels beam particles forward.

EDIT: Dang, them is huge barrels. Even gundam only had like 18mm beam rifles @_@
Old 2012-03-03, 00:21   Link #24569
Eratas123

What's up? Anything going on.......other than techwank?
Old 2012-03-03, 00:22   Link #24570
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Makes sense.

But I'm not keen of using Rail gun in BT, thanks for the help.

EDIT: incidentally, Silent Zephyr's rifle CAN also shoot both energy and physical projectile, and the design scream railgun with smaller barrel width than Starlight Mk.III.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:24   Link #24571
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@eras: none really.

can anyone think of a scientific principle that can cause explosiopns without having to rely on combustion or pressure release?
Old 2012-03-03, 00:31   Link #24572
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I can't think any, sudden burst of energy -> high temperature/pressure/both -> stuff blowing up. Laser, particle, explosive, solid projectile, you name it, all includes high energy release. The size of explosion does vary though.

@ Eras
I was thinking about 'softening' Chifuyu without made her appear weak, and how I can accomplish it.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:31   Link #24573
Eratas123

That would be called Esper Powers. Look at Mugino "Meldowner" Shizuri for an example of that.

@ Senpai - She's not really that much of a hardass. She only gets mad when people disrespect the rules or don't call her by proper name.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:32   Link #24574
demino_hellsin
That one guy

What about breaking the sound barrier while inside the target?
Old 2012-03-03, 00:34   Link #24575
Eratas123

Sogiito "Assault Crash" Gunha.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:35   Link #24576
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Sound nasty.

Then again, the speed of sound is really depending on the medium. Those talk about hydrostatic pressure and stopping power and whatnot, talking about sonic boom inside human blood.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:38   Link #24577
demino_hellsin
That one guy

My version of Cecilia's second shift, Glas Tears, now only lacks a special function for the replacement of the missile bits as well as a one off ability.

I was hoping to finish the bits so I could get started on the one off ability.

The bits that replace the missiles are basically sword bits, only two of them. They are incredibly sharp and incredibly fast. Nicknamed "screamers" because of the sound they make while cutting through the air. Also they're a bit bulky but they work as short swords too.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:44   Link #24578
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras
Hmm, considering that TvTropes recognized ST!Chifuyu has lightened already, I'd say I did it somehow

@ Demi
I do keep the missile launcher, it's just that the normal BITs are reduced to 4 (similar to Canon, while fanon BT has 6 BITs). In that case however, Azure Breaker had 4 extra extra propulsion system that doubled as beam turret, similar to the Silver Bell 3, they have folding beam gun, two of them in fact. So, Azure Breaker effectively has 12 beam gun, and that's before I count the rifle.

Oh, and those 'normal' BITs gained beam bayonet to compensate.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:51   Link #24579
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Hmmm renaming it to Blue Tear Glas Heart instead... sounds cooler

My version has 12 bits including the two swords... she doesn't control them all at once though 6 of those bits are actually function as phalanx components for the sniper rifle. The actual rifle is actually only a short assault rifle.
Old 2012-03-03, 00:54   Link #24580
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Nice option there.

Anyway, is it possible if I introduce a true prototype BITs made during the Second Generation arms race. In a subversion of super prototype, they're slow, bulky, and it's movement are restricted by the cable linking them to the main unit. Think the Moebius Zero vs Dragoon argument. Incidentally, they're a lot easier to control.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest