AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-11-12, 12:50   Link #1
hyphz
Motenakute Buotoko

Anyone considered a Konspiracy?

I wonder if anyone has considered using Konspire, rather than Torrent, for anime?

Konspire is a rather odd P2P program because, instead of requesting specific files, you sign up to "channels" and get whatever's sent on them - provided you're online when the broadcast occurs. Channels can be secured to make sure people can't just stick random stuff on them to have others download it.

(This would mean that you'd just sign up to, say, "The Naruto Channel" and leave your machine running. As soon as some subber finished the next episode, they'd stick it on the channel, and your machine would download it without you needing to do anything.)

Konspire is slightly odd in that it doesn't swarm. That is, you download each file from one person, rather than multiple others, and then once it's finished you begin uploading the file to one other also. The authors claim that BitTorrent's multihost swarming is a waste of time because at best it's only as good as it would be if you were downloading from one person, and at worst it's far worse. I don't know if I agree with that, but there it is.
hyphz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 16:44   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Sounds interesting, but really the only advantage I can see over BitTorrent is that it's automated (even then, someone here at AnimeSuki wrote a small program that would let you monitor series and automatically join torrents upon release, or something of that nature). The fact that you're going from one person can be good or bad; if the person has amazing bandwidth, then you're doing great. If they have a horrible connection [to you] and/or are limiting their upload, then BitTorrent would be superior, since at least with BT you're not limited to a single connection for your transfers.

If you get into single connections, though, the majority of groups these days run fast XDCC bots in their IRC channels.