AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2008-02-12, 16:58   Link #1
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Fortune Arterial Fan Translation Project

Hello folks. I'm starting a fan translation project for Fortune Arterial (warning: it's an ero game, for those not into such things, but a very loving and lighthearted one without anything too wierd). I poked around the internet a bit to see if anyone else had started and I could contribute, but I couldn't find anything. I'm not all that well versed in this sort of thing, so please correct me if I'm wrong and I'm duplicating work.

My real strength is in English writing, since I'm a native speaker, but I'm good enough to get by in basic Japanese. So far I haven't run into any real stumpers, but if I need help, I'll point it out.

I've set up a Scratchpad Wiki in case anyone else wants to contribute (and hopefully, people do, or it's never going to get done with just me ). You can either sign your name and mark out a chunk of the game that you want to translate, or else just go through what I have done and check my work. If you don't know Japanese but still want to help, feel free to make comments at the bottom about passages that you think could be improved to help readability.

Thanks, and I hope to get this wonderful game out to the english speaking masses as quickly as possible. This is what Ero-Games should be... wonderful, loving and with gorgeous art. If you're into harder fair, you wont find it here, I'm afraid. Still, the normal stuff done wonderfully is a joy to experience.

~ Tremalkinger.

Last edited by Tremalkinger; 2008-02-15 at 00:47.
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 23:33   Link #2
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Before anyone asks for a program to insert the translated text, that'll have to wait until we get the text translated first.
Old 2008-02-12, 23:45   Link #3
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

As far as Japanese goes, I'm pretty much in the same situation. If you have the entire Japanese script typed and available online, I'll be able to read it with some help from Rikaichan. I did a little editing for the Clannad Translation Project, but they were very well staffed. I'll start with editing your work to get an idea of how difficult the script is, I might start translating some chunks later if I am confident I can handle it.

One question though, do you have a rough estimate as to how long the game is (ie. how much we have to translate)?

Last edited by tripperazn; 2008-02-13 at 02:35.
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 01:40   Link #4
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I've just started the game but you probably would not want me to translate as my JP->EN is very poor. I can however offer my assistance in editing the script in terms of context and flow.

If anything is to be done, I think someone needs to figure out how to extract the script first. As far as I know, it is a heck of a lot different than what I'm used to.

Probably head over to the VisualNews Gemot (google it) and announce your intentions over there. They are well experienced in the art of fan localisations over there.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 07:57   Link #5
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

HashiriyaR32 - Yes, I wasn't going to ask for the technical stuff until we were a good portion through the text.

tripperazn - I put information in the wiki up for how to hook the text. If you want, I can just hook a big chunk of text for you to translate, but probably the best way to help translate (if you decide you want to... it's not too complicated of text) is to have a copy and hook the text yourself while listening to the dialog. I find that helps immensely in understanding the lines, based on tone etc.

As for how long the game is... I'm not great with the technical stuff, and someone who is told me that while they can decrypt the data files, there's a ton of junk in there and it would take someone halfway decent at scripting to make sense of it. I did a low tech solution... holding down control and timing it on my watch . It's not very accurate, since a single background change takes about as long as most of the text from a scene, but its good enough for our purposes.

By my estimation, I'm 15% of the way through the prologue. Don't let that depress you, as the prologue is the half way point for all the stories (it ends with the school sports festival). That being said, there's a bunch of quick scenes during the sports festival (depending on who you click to be with) as well as the three heroine's storylines. I don't know how much overlap there is between their stories, not much from what I could see. Each of the heroine's storylines is roughly as long as the prologue itself. Considering that I have 4000 words of japanese translated (with only about a day's work)... I'm going to throw out a number of 120,000 words in japanese, not counting the omake scenes. No idea how accurate that is, but its a guess.

boggart
- I can get the text out just fine. Getting it back in... I have no idea, but I'm sure someone will figure it out. The translation won't be finished for a while anyhow, unless more translators jump on board.

Thanks for the reference, btw. I was hoping someone would get me to a community like that, since I know this isn't exactly the best place (not the worst either though, since I got some valuable replies )

Edit: I was wrong... someone told me that 2 of the character's ends weren't finished, but that's not true. So move the estimate back even further... more like 200,000 words. Not that it matters, I knew I would need help to tackle it anyway.

Last edited by Tremalkinger; 2008-02-15 at 01:03.
Old 2008-02-13, 17:46   Link #6
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger View Post
tripperazn - I put information in the wiki up for how to hook the text. If you want, I can just hook a big chunk of text for you to translate, but probably the best way to help translate (if you decide you want to... it's not too complicated of text) is to have a copy and hook the text yourself while listening to the dialog. I find that helps immensely in understanding the lines, based on tone etc.

As for how long the game is... I'm not great with the technical stuff, and someone who is told me that while they can decrypt the data files, there's a ton of junk in there and it would take someone halfway decent at scripting to make sense of it. I did a low tech solution... holding down control and timing it on my watch . It's not very accurate, since a single background change takes about as long as most of the text from a scene, but its good enough for our purposes.

By my estimation, I'm 15% of the way through the prologue. Don't let that depress you, as the prologue is the half way point for all the stories (it ends with the school sports festival). That being said, there's a bunch of quick scenes during the sports festival (depending on who you click to be with) as well as the three heroine's storylines. I don't know how much overlap there is between their stories, not much from what I could see. Each of the heroine's storylines is roughly as long as the prologue itself. Considering that I have 4000 words of japanese translated (with only about a day's work)... I'm going to throw out a number of 120,000 words in japanese, not counting the omake scenes. No idea how accurate that is, but its a guess.
Yeah, I actually did read that part on your wiki, which is why I queued a torrent for the game immediately. It is done, but I'm not so sure it works, since in the past non-localized visual novel installations have never gone smoothly. It's sitting as 2 zipped .ISO files on my hard drive. Can you confirm that it works, or did you actually buy the commercial copy? It's pretty steep at Himeya ($95 + shipping), frankly at this point, Clannad Full Voice seems a better buy to me.

Quite a lengthy game, 15% of the 25% prologue means roughly 4% completion at this point, as far as raw translation is concerned. Count me in though, at least with editing, still not sure about translation yet. What's making me nervous is how you get "I understand the truth" from ”スイッチを入っていた”.

You might also try Baka-Tsuki, since they do light/visual novels. However, from what I see on the forums, a lot of their members don't do eroge (velocity7, who heads CLANNAD refused to do Tomoyo After because of ecchi content). I don't care, as long as the material isn't objectionable, but I seem to be in the minority. Hopefully you're having better luck elsewhere.

Also, it might be better if you give me a means of contact besides AnimeSuki. Just from my previous experience, since I am rather cautious and I like to get things approved before I go about doing them. Email or some sort of IM would probably be better.

Last thing, how do you want me to annotate editing corrections on the wiki (the comment/reason for edit)? It's probably better to standardize first for faster editing later on.
Old 2008-02-14, 08:46   Link #7
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Replied mostly by P-Mail.

The line 'すでに、スイッチは入っていた。', obviously was a pretty big mistake. I knew it was probably wrong and had been meaning to go back to it. The source of the problem is that when I read 'switch' I was thinking of the physical object, not the japanglish word for 'change'. So I figured it was some sort of phrase, something like the english 'the switch had been thrown'. It was really just a wild guess. That's what editing is for though, right?

There are other sections where I lost track of what was going on and had to guess as well (no more than a few lines here and there, but they're in there, and they're marked for the most part).
Old 2008-02-24, 05:45   Link #8
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Before anyone asks for a program to insert the translated text, that'll have to wait until we get the text translated first.
If I may say so, that is probably going to cause many headaches down the line. Ideally, you want to finalize the format of the text scripts and make sure they are insertable that way before you start working on the bulk of the translation. There's nothing more annoying than having a few megabytes worth of scripts that are not in an insertable format and having to somehow convert them into an insertable format.

The inserter doesn't have to be perfect before you finalize the format; you just have to make sure that the script format is in a state such that you can parse it properly and be able to get all the relevant information you need. That being said, there is no way to plan for every contingency, but having something close enough will at least allow for easy handling of contingencies.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 07:44   Link #9
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
If I may say so, that is probably going to cause many headaches down the line. Ideally, you want to finalize the format of the text scripts and make sure they are insertable that way before you start working on the bulk of the translation. There's nothing more annoying than having a few megabytes worth of scripts that are not in an insertable format and having to somehow convert them into an insertable format.

The inserter doesn't have to be perfect before you finalize the format; you just have to make sure that the script format is in a state such that you can parse it properly and be able to get all the relevant information you need. That being said, there is no way to plan for every contingency, but having something close enough will at least allow for easy handling of contingencies.
Thanks for your advice, right now the wiki is set up similar to baka-tsuki's Clannad translation SEENs. I don't know if that is the correct format for insertion.

The project has only been active for about a week, translation/editing is very well underway, but we lack any technical staff to help with graphics, patch coding, etc. If you could help us out by providing some info on this aspect of localization, that would be great.
Old 2008-02-24, 19:11   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Hrm... it might be possible to create a line lookup table using that and then somehow using it with an inserter. However, I'm not familiar with the actual script format that August uses for this game. Are they still using NScripter as the engine, or have they moved on? If they are, maybe you should try to see if you can get in touch with mirror moon, since they have some experience working with large games written in NScripter. In any case, I've written up about this translation project on encubed (successor to VisualNews) and specified that you were looking for staff to help out. Good luck!
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 19:15   Link #11
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Hrm... it might be possible to create a line lookup table using that and then somehow using it with an inserter. However, I'm not familiar with the actual script format that August uses for this game. Are they still using NScripter as the engine, or have they moved on? If they are, maybe you should try to see if you can get in touch with mirror moon, since they have some experience working with large games written in NScripter. In any case, I've written up about this translation project on encubed (successor to VisualNews) and specified that you were looking for staff to help out. Good luck!
We've been meaning to do that for quite some time. Thanks!
Old 2008-03-02, 21:53   Link #12
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Is Kiriha's Omake part of the demo or just the full game?
Old 2008-03-02, 22:00   Link #13
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Is Kiriha's Omake part of the demo or just the full game?
Just the full game I'm afraid. Our demo spans 04/03 to 04/14 I believe, which is a good portion of the prologue. The Omake comes after the Kiriha route, which follows the prologue. On the bright side, we are at ~50% completion translation wise and technical issues are being addressed right now. Look forward to it in the following weeks.

The reason it's done is because Kiriha is the staff favorite, and one of our translators were bored.
Old 2008-06-05, 06:07   Link #14
Solafighter
Hige

Interesting, interesting.
Any developments?
Old 2008-06-05, 18:26   Link #15
suguru
京都 ikitai~

What's been translated so far is pretty entertaining in its own right, even without the game/graphics:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/For...an_Translation

Although looks like no updates for the last 30 days--still, I'm glad that they took the effort to translate what's been done so far, since it's an interesting read...hoping eventually this gets an anime series made for it.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 08:09   Link #16
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
hoping eventually this gets an anime series made for it.

The world would be better off without them trying to make any more anime adaptations of August games.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 08:39   Link #17
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I WAS GONNA MENTION THAT!!!

T_T

Yeah, so long as they don't make mistakes like that AGAIN, we'll take it.
Old 2008-06-08, 08:58   Link #18
sora12

I will be your supporter eventhough i cannot do anything about translation. *searches for a poster and pen*
sora12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 10:27   Link #19
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post

The world would be better off without them trying to make any more anime adaptations of August games.
I dun get it can someone explain the joke to me...and tell me ehat anime thi is from.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 11:06   Link #20
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post

THAT MELON

Tags
august, ero-game, game patch, pc game, translation