AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-16, 14:54   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
Is this anime seinen or not?

I think this a stupid question since its answer is too obvious but what puzzled me that some idiots trolled me pointing K-On as seinen.
All titles like "seinen" or "shounen" and so on tell you is what the publishing house thinks its target demographic is. It tells you almost nothing about the content of the series other than the publisher thinks late-teen or 20-something males in Japan are the likely audience.

K-On is published by Houbunsha... which apparently considers itself a seinen publisher.

The whole label thing is often a large idiot-fest on most Western anime forums - real eyerolling stuff.
Old 2010-02-16, 17:42   Link #122
Socke
Banned

Thanks for the answer and yeah K-On haters are actually more interested trolling its fans than the show itself.

Back to the topic I heard K-On will be shown in Animax-Asia in this March, is it true?
Old 2010-02-16, 17:44   Link #123
speck123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
Back to the topic I heard K-On will be shown in Animax-Asia in this March, is it true?
Saw the advert for this a couple of days ago, so yeah, it is true.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:54   Link #124
ragnawind

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck123 View Post
Saw the advert for this a couple of days ago, so yeah, it is true.
Will it be dubbed? According to Wikipedia, it says it will be dubbed. but Wikipedia isn't very reliable since it is open-source and anyone can edit it.
Old 2010-02-21, 00:46   Link #125
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnawind View Post
Will it be dubbed? According to Wikipedia, it says it will be dubbed. but Wikipedia isn't very reliable since it is open-source and anyone can edit it.
Since it's airing on Animax asia, it will be dubbed.
Old 2010-02-22, 17:41   Link #126
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryohei View Post
**SNIP** CHARACTER BIOs
Am I the only one who noticed they're all goddamned tiny?! Is that some sort of Japanese fetish or something, I dont think I've ever seen a tall female in any Japanese work, I know guys are usually taller than girls, but not by that much, even at what I presume is meant to be roughly the age of 16-18.
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2010-02-22, 18:28   Link #127
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Traditional Japanese have been known to be relatively short when compared to Europeans or Africans. This has changed somwehat in recent decades as the national diet has changed to include more foods that promote bone growth in youths. Also I seems to recall that it use to be favored to have small women in some cultures...sometimes resulting is some indignate practises (such as foot binding (I think that was the name) to make woman's foot appear smaller and "more princess like".
Old 2010-02-22, 23:31   Link #128
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Traditional Japanese have been known to be relatively short when compared to Europeans or Africans. This has changed somwehat in recent decades as the national diet has changed to include more foods that promote bone growth in youths. Also I seems to recall that it use to be favored to have small women in some cultures...sometimes resulting is some indignate practises (such as foot binding (I think that was the name) to make woman's foot appear smaller and "more princess like".
Not just that. Post WWII Japan has specifically had a "cute craze" phenomenon. Small, "cute" things are now desirable. The Moe meme is a great example of this.

Women who are smaller tend to be more desirable, and notice how the majority (not the majority of good ones, mind you) of Seiyus all either have very high voices or talk in their head voice. Some see it as sexist, but the "cute" effect has its impact on the male population too. Yes, there are "moe" males.
Old 2010-02-23, 03:53   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Am I the only one who noticed they're all goddamned tiny?! Is that some sort of Japanese fetish or something, I dont think I've ever seen a tall female in any Japanese work, I know guys are usually taller than girls, but not by that much, even at what I presume is meant to be roughly the age of 16-18.
My wife is 4'11" and 95lbs (150cm, 43kg) ... her cousin is 5' if she stretches. They'd like a word with your kneecaps

Seriously... a *lot* of asian women are in this range (145cm-160cm). Not to say there aren't exceptions (I know one Japanese female who's 175cm ala AzuDa Sakaki height and a Korean femme who is just about as tall).

But stand in Chinatown or Japantown early on shopping day... if you're like me you may suddenly epiphany that you're a foot taller than *everyone* else on the streets.

Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed Azusa at 46kg.... seems a bit much.

(qualifier: I'm 6' and 195lbs - so a trip to Uwajimaya, Chinatown, Japantown, or a festival is often an experience of "Let him get that, he can reach it" while shopping - my wife offers my unique service to everyone ... ).

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-02-23 at 13:47. Reason: qualifier
Old 2010-02-23, 07:55   Link #130
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife is 4'11" and 95lbs (150cm, 43kg) ... her cousin is 5' if she stretches. They'd like a word with your kneecaps
Seriously... a *lot* of asian women are in this range (145cm-160cm). Not to say there aren't exceptions (I know one Japanese female who's 175cm ala AzuDa Sakaki height and a Korean femme who is just about as tall).

But stand in Chinatown or Japantown early on shopping day... if you're like me you may suddenly epiphany that you're a foot taller than *everyone* else on the streets.

I'm approx 6'3 (part of the reason I play bass, it feels about the right size, even though it always looks huge on people on TV), sometimes a little more depending on footware, so it sounds like I might!
One of my ex's was 5'2 and she was amongst one of the shortest people I've known. Seems strange because I'm not really used to (even girls) being in the 4-5ft range, most of the people the girls I've known have been 5'6"+.

Guess it's just what I've grown up with
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2010-03-04, 14:20   Link #131
ryohei

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Not just that. Post WWII Japan has specifically had a "cute craze" phenomenon. Small, "cute" things are now desirable. The Moe meme is a great example of this.

Women who are smaller tend to be more desirable, and notice how the majority (not the majority of good ones, mind you) of Seiyus all either have very high voices or talk in their head voice. Some see it as sexist, but the "cute" effect has its impact on the male population too. Yes, there are "moe" males.
Japanese Female's average height is 158cm / 5'2". (This data is from the article"Human height" of English Wikipedia.)
It indicates their height is NOT the example of The Moe meme. They are just average girls.

I think, however, "who is smaller (and taller)" is influenced by The Moe meme.
Azusa is smallest. She is the typical character who express "smaller one is cuter one".
Mio is tallest and heaviest of the Students. I think Mio is nervous about the fact. The gap between her style and wish makes her cute.
She is the typical "Gap Moe" character.
Old 2010-03-04, 21:32   Link #132
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryohei View Post
Japanese Female's average height is 158cm / 5'2". (This data is from the article"Human height" of English Wikipedia.)
It indicates their height is NOT the example of The Moe meme. They are just average girls.

I think, however, "who is smaller (and taller)" is influenced by The Moe meme.
Azusa is smallest. She is the typical character who express "smaller one is cuter one".
Mio is tallest and heaviest of the Students. I think Mio is nervous about the fact. The gap between her style and wish makes her cute.
She is the typical "Gap Moe" character.
Yeah, I always knew that they were shorter, but I had heard somewhere that Asian average heights have skyrocketed (relatively) in the latest generation due to better nutrition (for growth, a lot of the "old diets" were very healthy).
Old 2010-03-04, 22:04   Link #133
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Takes a while for average to show up when the older generations are living longer.
Old 2010-03-05, 20:33   Link #134
babohtea

*Average Asian height of the youth
Old 2010-03-07, 02:07   Link #135
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

(qualifier: I'm 6' and 195lbs - so a trip to Uwajimaya, Chinatown, Japantown, or a festival is often an experience of "Let him get that, he can reach it" while shopping - my wife offers my unique service to everyone ... ).
Actually I weighed 48kg during a certain period of time in the army and I am 178cm. I think it is more of a tabulation mistake of height vs weigh as they are randomly generated numbers.

Either that or it must have been the cakes Mugi and Yui has been feeding her. But that still doesn't explain why she is still not as well endowed as her "onee-san".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-08, 10:50   Link #136
ryohei

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Yeah, I always knew that they were shorter, but I had heard somewhere that Asian average heights have skyrocketed (relatively) in the latest generation due to better nutrition (for growth, a lot of the "old diets" were very healthy).
hmm, in some Asian countries, only latest generation has eaten enough food since they are baby, but in Japan amount and nutrition of foods became enough more than 50 years ago. So, skyrocketing of human height has finished in Japan. Oh, and the data I introduced is sampled by 19-years-old girls in 2006.

Female's height of Japan, urban area of China, and South Korea is around 158cm / 5'2", and many European female height is around 165cm / 5'5". I think This 7cm/3inch difference is based on two factors.
One is the difference of human race, and the other one is the difference of the food. (Generally Asian eats less meet and milk than European.)

From the Statistics Bureau of Japan, Japanese female's average weight is 50.9kg / 112lbs. So K-on members are average Asian girls.
Old 2010-03-22, 04:18   Link #137
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

yeah my sister is almost 17 shes like 5'5

My question is does Yui play on Treble or rhythm?

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2010-03-22 at 04:49.
Old 2010-03-22, 10:17   Link #138
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yui plays whatever she happens to remember that day.
Old 2010-03-22, 11:05   Link #139
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

So true it's scary!

*cookie*

also: RIMSHOT
Old 2010-03-23, 02:30   Link #140
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

this may sound noobie but what is the K-on! group official music genre? is it alternative? pop?
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a