AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

View Poll Results: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien ~Next Season~ - episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 14.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 19.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.47%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-27, 12:45   Link #61
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Meh, call me weird, but some of the best "good stories" I've seen depends on the analysis/review of a "third party." That's because I really admire a director's ability to produce different interpretations and perspectives as well as good arguments about an anime.
Old 2007-12-27, 13:49   Link #62
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Try look at it form a marketing stand point and not a fan stand point.

The company is looking to milk more yen form Otaku's. They are not trying to tell a coherant story they making a commercial to sell more copies of the game that is being re-release.
Well, except for the fact that the marketing only works because they're giving at least a certain portion of the fanbase what they want. They're certainly trying to sell copies of the OVA as well. That's why the story is coherent and consistent with the alternate path they're showing -- game players will recognize the scenario, and the rest of us will be able to figure it out as they continue to explore it.
Old 2007-12-27, 17:12   Link #63
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
I have read most of this boards post but my question was more a rhetorical one.
Here is what really bother me :
Why the hell would people need to buy some game in order to understand what s happening.
I am strongly convinced that a good story is something that you can understand and appreciate without the need of a third party in order to be able to enjoy it. if they choose to take the haruka path then they need to give people that only watch the TV/OVA enought info for em to understand
You are right, a strong and good story doesn't need a third party for the end-user to understand and appreciate, that is why this OVA is the third party, just like the original anime series was. The game is the primary vehicle that the story was detailed and from it the first anime, and from it this OVA.

Quote:
This is where this OVA fail pathetically. At no point watchers are given any hint of what is going on (refer to definition of a good storytelling before saying it was announced.)
storytelling-wise (is that even a word?) this is show is a failure of epic proportion.
Not to sound harsh, but the only failure here is in your hands. The anime is only a retelling of a small portion of its source material, which is the KimiNozo game. You need to step back, remember the fact that KimiNozo, the anime, was originally based upon a ero-game with user-defined pathing and varied endings. This OVA, as a thank you to the fans of the KimiNozo game in Japan (not us, seeing as we are not the direct market for the game) and as a way to allow the fans of the game to visualize what it would've been like if the anime decided to follow Haruka's path instead of Mitsuki's.

You fail to realize that while KimiNozo is a very popular series globally, their main market is still those who have purchased the namesake game, the Special Fan Disc, and almost everything else related to KimiNozo, which is still almost entirely in Japan. After all, this is to coincide with their release of the KimiNozo LE set they are releasing.
Old 2007-12-28, 01:52   Link #64
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
there was no need to bring the finnacial justification to the third party argument, it s implicite and obvious that now anime make more money out of the goodies based on it (CD, action-models, gashapon (sp?)). but the fact remains that kgne TV could be watched and understood perfectly without being left clueless because you hadnt played the game.
the story telling of this ova is purely based on the postulat that everybody played the game and already know everything there is know about the show this is where the show fails hard. there is no mention of any timeline, no background on the characters or of anything that happened in the tv show.
i realize that all of this argument is out of topic and has nothing to do with kgne ova but rather with way to writte a proper script so let s just get back to the ova discusion and not argue about how a story should be written.
Old 2007-12-28, 02:47   Link #65
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
there was no need to bring the finnacial justification to the third party argument, it s implicite and obvious that now anime make more money out of the goodies based on it (CD, action-models, gashapon (sp?)). but the fact remains that kgne TV could be watched and understood perfectly without being left clueless because you hadnt played the game.
the story telling of this ova is purely based on the postulat that everybody played the game and already know everything there is know about the show this is where the show fails hard. there is no mention of any timeline, no background on the characters or of anything that happened in the tv show.
i realize that all of this argument is out of topic and has nothing to do with kgne ova but rather with way to writte a proper script so let s just get back to the ova discusion and not argue about how a story should be written.
Again, you fail to realize something very, very simple...

OVAs are direct-to-video releases, or on the rare cases, PPV...either way, the ones whom are getting this will already be on pretty intimate terms with the story overall. The script is written almost to a T in perfection in terms of relation to Haruka's route in the game (albeit slightly modified for context). The story also does well enough to create a flashback system to which catches people up on the events prior to Haruka's dismissal from the Hospital. It's not meant as a continuation to the original story, just an alternate telling of the events AFTER Haruka got released from the Hospital, that is where people seem to not understand.

I still do not see such "epic failure" as you describe. Of course, I'm also one of those KimiNozo fans that has everything related to KimiNozo sitting on the shelf next to my computer.
Old 2007-12-28, 13:02   Link #66
Perishthethought

I certainly would NOT recommend watching this OVA without first having seen at the very least the original anime series, to give you an idea about the characters and their backstories. Doing some research on the game and various paths involved is also a good idea if you want to get something of an idea as to how the story could have ended up the way it has in this OVA, and how the original anime series interpreted it in a different way. I wouldn't recommend playing the game straight off the bat, as it's a real dog(suit) to set up and get running, and you have to have either a rudimentary understanding of Japanese or access to translation software and a text hooker. Even then, it's a far from ideal solution and you'll still need something of an idea of the trajectory of the story to get the most out of it (and a strong stomach if you're embarassed by the hentai, as I am - having seen the series first, the potential to watch the characters disrobing and making the beast with two backs horrified me!).

Even then, I would still recommend viewing Akane Maniax as that's a very, very nice continuation of the original anime storyline - Akane Maniax was the first OVA companion piece to Kiminozo, released to coincide with the (free?) release of the game of the same name, based around Akane. Some people find the change in tone and shift in focus a little disorientating, but I think it's really inventive and the contrast only serves to bring out some of the more subtle nuances in the original story (like Akane's attraction to Taka, for example - which I think could have some part to play in this current OVA).

If this is your first introduction to the KGNE universe, you're going in absolutely blind. This is a companion piece for enthusiasts, not beginners. Hopefully by the time you've caught up to where you need to be to enjoy it, you'll love this series (KGNE) as much as the rest of us do... Case in point, in this OVA, go back and watch the scene with Haruka and Taka in the cinema and pay careful attention to what the actors are saying on the screen and how it influences Haruka's decision later on... It may seem just like an illustration of how much Taka is overworking himself, but listen carefully.

Spoiler:

About the ordering of the plot, flashback sequences etc. This is KGNE standard. KGNE should only be digested as a whole. It is a very complete piece, that only improves with repeated viewing. The missing pieces will be filled and the circumstances surrounding each character will be expanded upon. The juxtaposition of past and present/youth and experience are integral to how the stories are told in KGNE. Try not to judge it too harshly on your first viewing.
Old 2007-12-29, 01:12   Link #67
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perishthethought View Post
KGNE should only be digested as a whole. It is a very complete piece, that only improves with repeated viewing. The missing pieces will be filled and the circumstances surrounding each character will be expanded upon. The juxtaposition of past and present/youth and experience are integral to how the stories are told in KGNE. Try not to judge it too harshly on your first viewing.
If more people did this (and not only for this show) the tone of this forum would change entirely, and for the better. Suspend judgement, seek understanding, and expect logic (rather than doubt it) -- what a concept! Treating anime as fine art, and not just disposable entertainment. In the end, you still won't enjoy everything, but at least you'll understand more about it and yourself. Honest to goodness, I have no idea why this seems to be such a difficult message/concept for people to swallow...
Old 2007-12-29, 18:19   Link #68
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
I thought this was excellent. I really like the quality of the animation - that's not to say it bares much of a resemblance to the original series. You can tell that they've obviously gone to great lengths to preserve the aesthetic of the original but it doesn't quite come off as a faithful representation. Still, nothing to cry about, and there'll be plenty of that from other sources.

I think the 'changes' in characters and the mysteries surrounding them are all fairly par for the course in terms of KGNE - its one of, if not the most important, reasons I love it. Prepare for a very non-linear method of storytelling, if I may be so pretentious for a minute. The differences in character seen so far are completely consistent with the alternate timeline. People seem to think the biggest change is within Takayuki, and you'd be absolutely right. At one point in the original series, Taka was considering a moonlight flit and taking his new job far away from the angst and anxiety of the two women before thinking better of it, being courageous and choosing Mitsuki, readdressing the balance of servitude and saying his last goodbyes to Haruka. What if Taka never got the courage to stop feeling obligated to Haruka? What would that do to his character? What if he continued to dote on her in the hospital bed regardless of the interference of outside factors? What level of devotion would that require?

The level of devotion that can lead to a girl feeling smothered and anxious. Takayuki's astonishing level of niceness is a symptom of him never actually thinking about his life in terms that do not include a relationship. This version of Taka has (despite possible 'indiscretions') remained faithful to his first love, Haruka. He has spent the whole of his adult life worrying about his bedridden childhood sweetheart - if we are to believe that he chose Haruka over Mitsuki, it could only be because of his dedication to her overwhelmed his love for Mitsuki. There are all sorts of other murky and regressive reasons for Takayuki re-embracing his childhood (and I believe it was referenced somewhat with a very welcome visitation to some of the hotspots of the original series. Every place Taka and Haruka went on a date, in fact, including right the way back to their first - almost going backwards through time), but we'll leave those for now. What is clear, however, is the level of decisiveness he reached in the original series never occurred. He never had that moment of clarity, that higher resolution - in effect, he never had to make the decision.

When you have been sat by the bed of your once comatose sweetheart for such a long time, what are you going to want to do the minute she leaves the hospital? Do everything with her, which Haruka is obviously getting worried about - but then again, when you have left hospital, wouldn't you want a certain degree of independence? The studying aspect of Haruka is an interesting angle, because it presents a disparity between her aspirations and the fact that because Taka was so hopelessly depressed, he abandoned his. Being reminded of that, and the huge burden of guilt that is much present, is absolutely the decisive factor for Haruka in making her decision to say goodbye (after only what seems like a few days!). But look at it this way - Taka has begun to integrate himself into the family unit to the point where he's her father's prospective drinking buddy. Pretty soon, it would be unavoidable for Haruka to eject him from her life. It's all moving very fast, and coupled with a panicked Haruka's perfectly natural anxiety at being on her feet and out in the wider world for the first time in years, it's a recipe for disaster.

Must admit I was surprised to see Shinji - I wonder what the hell went down there? The scene involving Mitsuki was too cryptic to warrant anything other than a very creative interpretation (although it's notable she's had the haircut and KEPT the ring, meaning she never walked out, depositing it in the tea - and it's obvious she's still fairly keen on him) but the flashbacks showed the 'date' of Takayuki and Mitsuki RIGHT up until the incident in the hospital and Takayuki being banned from seeing Haruka - and everyone knows what happened on that night. Now, the haircut would indicate that horizontal dancing did occur, but the lack of any indication of Takayuki revealing the fact that they had a relationship (outside of the 'date') is very intriguing - but I do think there's a reason for that.

The reintroduction of Mitsuki cannot occur within the first episode as we need this one to examine the state of Taka and Haruka's relationship, much as episode 3 of the original series barely involved Haruka and instead featured the hunt for a new apartment and the perennial problem of Takayuki's inability to move on (which, ironically, is also the reason Haruka seems to think she has burdened him). The major dramatic point of contention could very well be the revelation of the relationship, should one have occurred. Any angst up to this point is of the very same variety that occurred in episode 3 - shitty relationship stuff, relatively trivial problems that can be overcome with some understanding and communication. It's when the real earth shattering stuff arrives that things will take off - and that'll be Mitsuki.

Those wondering about the title (next season) should recognise that a major theme of the show is renewal. Every time significant events happen to Haruka (and the rest of the characters), it is springtime. Haruka's name is literally derived from the season of spring. Her character is grounded, of the earth, natural and all about growth and contemplation. Her contrast, Mitsuki (moon) is a swimmer, of water (against earth), dynamic and gregarious. Her interests are practical and physical, as opposed to the academia of Haruka. They are polar opposites, a dichotomy of the ideal woman - outside of that, the next season refers to the 'new' Haruka, moving out of the hospital and into her new life. It still means it's about Haruka, just not as obviously.

Anyway, the major question is still whether or not Taka and Mitsuki had a sustained relationship in this alternate dimension, and whether or not Haruka knows about it. Shinji mentions she apologises for the trouble she caused him, and the love hotel based exercise in inciting jealousy would only have occurred if she was intending to make Taka take notice. Perhaps this occurred anyway, and she had a relationship with Shinji to try and make Taka take notice of her? Shinji's recollection involves Mitsuki walking away from him at night, alone. Make of that what you will. The only reason Haruka could be ignorant of the relationship is either if a) they never had it or b) nobody told her - including that interesting scene in the hospital where Haruka slaps Mitsuki. It is interesting to note that Haruka begins physical therapy right after this, in order to release Taka of his burden and show him that she can "do things for him", much as she recognises Mitsuki has. Ironically this is one of the factors that pushes Taka further towards Mitsuki as her need for him is now greater than that of Haruka, who is seemingly developing some independence. If she never had the impetus to start physical therapy, if she never had the extra determination to keep Taka, could that mean she has never really had a chance to test their love?

The eagle eyed of you may have spotted that Taka's 'Virtual On' poster has disappeared from his wall (which was a symbol of his childhood, as Mitsuki eyes it as she's wondering about his complete lack of progress in the original series). Instead, he's got some tasteful art up (one of a space scene – remember the stargazing/telescope?) This was just one of the many, many details that made this half hour truly a treat for the fans. For a 30 minute episode to give such an interesting picture of a 'what-if' relationship, showing that, as always, things aren't simply peaches and cream, is a great achievement and exactly what I was looking for from this series. I await the next instalment eagerly, and I can't wait to have some of these mysteries solved.
My god. This is the most beautiful post I've ever seen! You are a fabulous analyst (that's a compliment btw )

I can really relate to Takayuki, I've been in a simular situation. Not really in the mood to give a deeper explaination, but i will say, unlike Haruka, my feelings were accepted. Yes there was guilt from her at first, but eventually she began to understand.

What I think Haruka is not understanding is, Takayuki is "choosing" to live his life that way, he wants to be with her, she is now more important than whatever his dreams were in the past. Dreams change, It's how people are.

Btw, to all those complaining that this is not about Mitsuki, I just want to ask, but first let me mention, I'm a Haruka fan. Mitsuki got her ending, why cant we (Haruka fans) get ours? Sure I was sad that Takayuki chose Mitsuki in the TV series, but I didn't complain about it, I accepted it for what it was, I don't see what the big deal is. Share the love, you know what I mean.
Old 2007-12-29, 19:16   Link #69
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Why Haruka just can't forgive Takayuki for being with Mitsuki? I have some mixed feelings about this OVA and i have a bad feeling that i will get depressed watching OVA's as i was when i watched the whole serie...

What is Haruka thinking, saying goodbye to Takayuki? she has been depressed since she got out of the hospital... and Takayuki just doesn't seemed to me that he truly loves her, but he is doing this because Mitsuki left

5/10
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Old 2007-12-29, 19:21   Link #70
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Btw, to all those complaining that this is not about Mitsuki, I just want to ask, but first let me mention, I'm a Haruka fan. Mitsuki got her ending, why cant we (Haruka fans) get ours? Sure I was sad that Takayuki chose Mitsuki in the TV series, but I didn't complain about it, I accepted it for what it was, I don't see what the big deal is. Share the love, you know what I mean.

The compliants are because it is a epilogue not a ending. We didn't get to see how the Haruka ending play out, just the aftermath. That is why there is so much complaining.
Old 2007-12-30, 12:29   Link #71
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I am fine about haruka getting a happy end but the execution was poor...I usually don't notice forced drama but this just literally slaps you across the face. If something was bothering her she should have talked with him, yet she broke up just like that - DRAMAAA!!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-30, 16:42   Link #72
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I really did thought that Perishthethought had some good analysis (which is, btw, +1), but the truth is I'm way too satisfied with Mitsuki's ending to really think much into this OVA. This episode is probably really good, but I'm just not willing to pay much attention to it. It's bias that's not going to go away after all, since I'm going to be in denial seeing a different ending to my favorite anime.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2007-12-30 at 18:39.
Old 2007-12-31, 01:02   Link #73
4Tran

Perishthethought already said most of what I wanted to about this episode, so I'm just going to touch on a couple of points. I like Mitsuki quite a bit more than I do Haruka, but I still like the way this OVA was framed. Moreover, the writing and direction are every bit as good as they were back when the made the original. I also think that it's important to keep in mind that all the events from Kiminozo are the same up to the point when Haruka woke up. After that point, Next Season is estabilshing an entirely different sequence of events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
I am fine about haruka getting a happy end but the execution was poor...I usually don't notice forced drama but this just literally slaps you across the face. If something was bothering her she should have talked with him, yet she broke up just like that - DRAMAAA!!
The inability of people to communicate has always been one of the major themes of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, so there isn't any real reason for that to change for the OVA.
Old 2007-12-31, 01:42   Link #74
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I guess I am in a mixed boat on this one... KGNE was one among the first few anime I watched after taking a fairly significant break from anime.... and it truly helped me get back in to anime as it provided a very plausable and realistic love story ... girl-a likes guy, but cant tell guy, girl-a gets girl-b to talk to guy, guy falls for girl-b (and girl-b also falls for guy, but resigns herself to be faithful to girl-a) ... girl-b introducses girl-a to guy, guy agrees to go out with girl-a to appease girl-b since girl-b isn't quite showing her love to the guy... And of course in the anime guy ultimently goes with his first connection of girl-b.

Now truly I haven't played the game.. I'd love to.. but even with a number of years of study, I'm still finding visual novels (especally unspoken ones ... not sure if KGNE is or is not) very painful and frustrating, as much as I like the genre.... but anyhow... in my mind the alternate that comes to where we are now is here.... actually it is even in the anime... When the accident occurs, Taka feels that horrible pain of "it's my fault"... and "I should have been more there for her" ... etc... in the anime we see that from his complete loss of reality and purpose ...

But yes, it is what happens over the next years ... in the anime we know that Mitsuki (no doubt my favorite) with her love for him does everything she can to lift him up and help him through this pain... and combined with Taka's original feelings for Mitsuki, that conclusion makes sense (although I hate that Haruka then casts both them out of her life, although I know why). Obviously something different happened in those three years... from what I've seen it seems that Akane may have been the bridging link... hard to say though.

I don't know, I do want to know the difference .. and how his heart changed over... but I can't be mad at the writers for it... they are expecting the audience to know the game... all I can hope is there might be a few flash backs to explain how we got here.

All that being said... I'm still rooting for Mitsuki for the win... I do want to know more of the this post-hospital Haruka... and I hope somehow she will ultimently free Taka to Mitsuki in a way that all fo them stay friends... but maybe I am being too hopeful.

In the end, I think it was a well done episode. I like the art, and I liked the way it progressed... I mostly say that because I have played enough games of this sort to know how drastic the endings can be... so I went in not expecting it to be anything like how my mind would have conceived... and being that open I didn't have a real problem with it... all that it really means is I'll finally have to play the game

Can't wait for the next episode. Sorry for my useless rambling.
Old 2008-01-06, 19:05   Link #75
changeup

I think it is hard to judge just from the 1st episode. There will be four total episodes if I am right. Maybe the past events will be explained later in this series. But for now, I am rather confused about what is going on (haven't played the game... well...). If this OVA is just intended for those veteran game players, I'd say it might not be for most of us here...
Old 2008-01-06, 20:51   Link #76
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
I think it is hard to judge just from the 1st episode. There will be four total episodes if I am right. Maybe the past events will be explained later in this series. But for now, I am rather confused about what is going on (haven't played the game... well...). If this OVA is just intended for those veteran game players, I'd say it might not be for most of us here...
It's meant for fans of KimiNozo, it's icing on the cake for the players of the games. Matter of fact, most of us in this very forum that have been here for any amount of time have probably at least attempted to play the game.
Old 2008-01-07, 00:09   Link #77
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
The very end surprised me as i did not expect Haruka to drop a bomb like that in episode 1. I guess she felt like Takayuki was putting his life on hold for her or maybe she felt stifled by all his attention. Whatever it was Haruka is obviously having reservations about the whole relationship. I noticed that sever people used the phrase "You sure are loved". Each time it was said she looked down as if it was painful to hear. Even during dinner with her father showing Takayuki so much affection she again looked down.
I never expected that one neither, and that is what made me falling out of my chair in total disbelief () after everything all of Haruka's friends and her sister are doing to help her getting back into the normal world as well as to apply a line which I heard many years ago: time which flees is never lost if you run after it. If we follow the Haruka route, what would she or we expect? Takayuki would sure go and try catching up for the last 3 years which passed by; if he was ready to sacrifice his actual job for something better in order to support Haruka, how can she refuse such devotion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Im not sure where they are headed but im sure they will use Mitsuki as a jump start for somemore drama. Though we might not see it right away since apparently she has left town. The message she left was kind of cryptic however. I will keep my promise so let me keep the ring a little longer. Now its been a while since im seen season 1 but i dont remember any type of promise like that. This could be a new promise introduced for the OVA or it could be that Takayuki asked for the ring back oh well patience is virtue.
Oh please, if I really needed bringing Mitsuki at this stage to put more oil on the fire than it already is. Somebody wrote on the Random Curisioty page for this episode that Haruka's personality is too predictable to drive the drama; it might be true to some, but I must say that I have a very tough time believing that.

I was rather expecting that both Takayuki and Haruka would have to find a way on how to reconciliate with Mitsuki and bring her back with them on that lone tree hill.

Quote:
The level of devotion that can lead to a girl feeling smothered and anxious. Takayuki's astonishing level of niceness is a symptom of him never actually thinking about his life in terms that do not include a relationship. This version of Taka has (despite possible 'indiscretions') remained faithful to his first love, Haruka. He has spent the whole of his adult life worrying about his bedridden childhood sweetheart - if we are to believe that he chose Haruka over Mitsuki, it could only be because of his dedication to her overwhelmed his love for Mitsuki. There are all sorts of other murky and regressive reasons for Takayuki re-embracing his childhood (and I believe it was referenced somewhat with a very welcome visitation to some of the hotspots of the original series. Every place Taka and Haruka went on a date, in fact, including right the way back to their first - almost going backwards through time), but we'll leave those for now. What is clear, however, is the level of decisiveness he reached in the original series never occurred. He never had that moment of clarity, that higher resolution - in effect, he never had to make the decision.
I never tought much of that, but Taka's faithfulness is something which I like of the Haruka route. That's why I wanted it to happen in the original series: to see love transcend time.

Quote:
When you have been sat by the bed of your once comatose sweetheart for such a long time, what are you going to want to do the minute she leaves the hospital? Do everything with her, which Haruka is obviously getting worried about - but then again, when you have left hospital, wouldn't you want a certain degree of independence? The studying aspect of Haruka is an interesting angle, because it presents a disparity between her aspirations and the fact that because Taka was so hopelessly depressed, he abandoned his. Being reminded of that, and the huge burden of guilt that is much present, is absolutely the decisive factor for Haruka in making her decision to say goodbye (after only what seems like a few days!). But look at it this way - Taka has begun to integrate himself into the family unit to the point where he's her father's prospective drinking buddy. Pretty soon, it would be unavoidable for Haruka to eject him from her life. It's all moving very fast, and coupled with a panicked Haruka's perfectly natural anxiety at being on her feet and out in the wider world for the first time in years, it's a recipe for disaster.

The reintroduction of Mitsuki cannot occur within the first episode as we need this one to examine the state of Taka and Haruka's relationship, much as episode 3 of the original series barely involved Haruka and instead featured the hunt for a new apartment and the perennial problem of Takayuki's inability to move on (which, ironically, is also the reason Haruka seems to think she has burdened him). The major dramatic point of contention could very well be the revelation of the relationship, should one have occurred. Any angst up to this point is of the very same variety that occurred in episode 3 - shitty relationship stuff, relatively trivial problems that can be overcome with some understanding and communication. It's when the real earth shattering stuff arrives that things will take off - and that'll be Mitsuki.

Those wondering about the title (next season) should recognise that a major theme of the show is renewal. Every time significant events happen to Haruka (and the rest of the characters), it is springtime. Haruka's name is literally derived from the season of spring. Her character is grounded, of the earth, natural and all about growth and contemplation. Her contrast, Mitsuki (moon) is a swimmer, of water (against earth), dynamic and gregarious. Her interests are practical and physical, as opposed to the academia of Haruka. They are polar opposites, a dichotomy of the ideal woman - outside of that, the next season refers to the 'new' Haruka, moving out of the hospital and into her new life. It still means it's about Haruka, just not as obviously.

Anyway, the major question is still whether or not Taka and Mitsuki had a sustained relationship in this alternate dimension, and whether or not Haruka knows about it. Shinji mentions she apologises for the trouble she caused him, and the love hotel based exercise in inciting jealousy would only have occurred if she was intending to make Taka take notice. Perhaps this occurred anyway, and she had a relationship with Shinji to try and make Taka take notice of her? Shinji's recollection involves Mitsuki walking away from him at night, alone. Make of that what you will. The only reason Haruka could be ignorant of the relationship is either if a) they never had it or b) nobody told her - including that interesting scene in the hospital where Haruka slaps Mitsuki. It is interesting to note that Haruka begins physical therapy right after this, in order to release Taka of his burden and show him that she can "do things for him", much as she recognises Mitsuki has. Ironically this is one of the factors that pushes Taka further towards Mitsuki as her need for him is now greater than that of Haruka, who is seemingly developing some independence. If she never had the impetus to start physical therapy, if she never had the extra determination to keep Taka, could that mean she has never really had a chance to test their love?

The eagle eyed of you may have spotted that Taka's 'Virtual On' poster has disappeared from his wall (which was a symbol of his childhood, as Mitsuki eyes it as she's wondering about his complete lack of progress in the original series). Instead, he's got some tasteful art up (one of a space scene – remember the stargazing/telescope?) This was just one of the many, many details that made this half hour truly a treat for the fans. For a 30 minute episode to give such an interesting picture of a 'what-if' relationship, showing that, as always, things aren't simply peaches and cream, is a great achievement and exactly what I was looking for from this series. I await the next instalment eagerly, and I can't wait to have some of these mysteries solved.
Great analysis! I can't wait for the next episode as well, but I can't help but say that we would have avoided many discussions if Haruka didn't push Taka away like that. But would that mean that the main objective of this series would be to show Taka being able to grow from this situation while trying to bring Haruka back rather than both Taka and Haruka trying to bring Mitsuki back in the circle of friends?
Old 2008-01-09, 05:32   Link #78
Leedizzle

I really disliked KgNE as a whole. I viewed the two main characters Mitsuki and Takayuki as incredible assholes. One of them sabotages the relationship of her best friend and the other allows it to happen.

As the series progressed, the ending in itself where Mitsuki and Takayuki get together is great. The girl destroys everything that she had going for her for this loser. They can have a happy life together I can imagine.

I always thought KgNE would have been better if there was no accident scene and it played out like some high school drama where Haruka and Mitsuki battle it out for the love of Takayuki.

The OVA is the closest thing to the ending I wanted. Except the move Haruka pulls off at the end. I kind of see a reversal of roles here, where Takayuki is willing to jeopardize the life he has built, well more like Mitsuki built for Haruka. Haruka seemed to be eating that up until something happens and we have the end of the first episode.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, but still Haruka with the long hair is hot.
Old 2008-01-13, 17:12   Link #79
Tabris

I'm half way through the first episode and I have a bad feeling about this and I'm worried about one thing at the moment

Spoiler:

I'm also missing Mistuki quite a lot. It doesn't feel complete without her.

Edit: Just finished it now and

Spoiler:

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-01-13 at 17:23.
Old 2008-01-13, 23:50   Link #80
noktown

After watching this episode i'm still kind of confused : whether the animation was bad or Taka didn't really like Haruka and was just pretending cuz it was really strange in my eyes how easy he is doing everything,i know that they were together before and that there is nothing to shy about,but to me it seemed strange,and when Haruka said its time to say Goodbye and the door closed,the expression on his face really surprised me,the only thing that i could understand from his expression that he was surprised that she did that,but he didn't really care...,well that is my opinion but ofcourse i may be wrong.

About the whole ep.
I didn't like the way they kicked Mitsuki out,i'm sure they could've done it some other way,and it was really difficult for me to watch him trying to kiss her and stuff while Mitsuki is gone.In this episode taka has become a total looser for me(well its the producers' fault ),cuz he was just standing still and crying when he heared about Mitsuki,if she stood on the roof he could easily get her back.

So what i'm actually saying is that this OVA's sotry sucks,could be better(And yes i know that its just an addition,cuz the original ending was with Mitsuki.)
Closed Thread