AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2009-01-30, 03:59   Link #41
wynaut
Photoshopper

just wonderin, why is it kitamura not included in new OP and ED?
wynaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 04:13   Link #42
Bordix

I think I saw him at the last part of the op. Although, didn't see him at ed.
Old 2009-01-30, 04:51   Link #43
puppygod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynaut View Post
He is in OP. At least twice in the middle (in the School Council room) and near the ending. Not in ED though.
puppygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 07:42   Link #44
wistfulloner

Quote:
From this point on, his role in the series will be "minor" compared to the rest. JC staff supposedly sets the theme for the five characters in the beginning, but right now it's more and more becoming 3 girls vs 1 guy. Obviously since he won't be so omnipresent, no point advertising that much.

Disappointing, since I was hoping that Kitamura would have a larger role than just being a sidekick in the first half and an extra for the second.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 08:54   Link #45
wynaut
Photoshopper

oops sorry my fault..i mean he's not included at the start of the op..
wynaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 08:57   Link #46
asrielchase

Kitamura has risen above as GOD! The mundane love drama does't interest him anymore.
Old 2009-01-30, 23:48   Link #47
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
Quote:
oops sorry my fault..i mean he's not included at the start of the op..
Hes in the Op 0:43 - 0:46 and in the 1:28 - 30 o.o

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 16:44   Link #48
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Kitamura [and Takasu] almost don't appear in the 1st ED - focused so much in the girls and her umbrellas.
qwerty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 22:10   Link #49
Gundampilotspaz

Send a message via AIM to Gundampilotspaz
I don't speak any form of Japanese. But it sounds like that Ami is referring to herself in the third person an awful lot. It doesn't appear in the subs nor do I know if this is just a difference between English and Japanese.

Any thoughts?
Gundampilotspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 22:17   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is a difference between English and Japanese.... usually if the speaker is referring to themselves, the noun (their name) is left out completely as implied. Naming oneself is for
a) if its unclear who is the subject without it.
b) its also considered "cute" if used excessively by young women.

Iku! (not necessarily clear if the user means I go, you go, or we go).
Ami iku! (its now clear who goes).

Watashi/atashi/watakashi/boku/ore are actually used pretty rarely in casual speech (many of the formal verb endings are dropped as well) - and these are trendy teens so the rough, casual level of speech is even coarser.

Spoiler for example in ep 17, an important plot revelation about Kitamura that involves how he refers to himself:
Old 2009-02-16, 09:54   Link #51
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Just curious, does it say anywhere (officially) how tall the 5 main characters (ryuuji, taiga, minorin, kitamura, and ami) are?

thanks!
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 10:05   Link #52
typhonsentra

I think they mention Ami's height somewhere but I can't remember what it is. I'm pretty sure size goes like this though:

Ryuuji (That's why he was in the front of the "Shiva Statue") > Yuusaku > Ami > Minori > Taiga (Duh!)
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 10:44   Link #53
puppygod

In first novel Taiga height is given as 145 cm, and Ryuuji is 30 cm taller. You can extrapolate to rest of cast

ETA: Ok, judging by lineup from first OP, it goes like: Taiga 145, Ryuuji 175 (according to novels), Minori - halfway between them, so approx. 160 cm, Yuusaku - slightly less than Ryuuji, app. 170 cm and Ami - between Yuusaku and Minori, app. 165 cm. I guess.

Last edited by puppygod; 2009-02-16 at 10:54. Reason: extrapolated myself
puppygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 13:26   Link #54
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ryuuji is fairly tall then.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 13:45   Link #55
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

In japanese terms, yeah, he is. Elsewhere... I don't really count as tall here, and I am 1,75 myself... also, Brazil isn't a place known for it's tall people, now is it?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 14:10   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My wife is 149cm and I'm 183cm (she's of japanese heritage, me of '31flavors-euro') .... so the drawings of the two are fairly accurate (Taiga can walk under Ryuuji's outstretched arm). Ryuuji is tall but there's a subset strain of Japanese that comes in at nearly six feet (often used as Imperial Guards back in the day). Some of my wife's uncles came from a tall family of that strain. Ami is pretty tall but that's quite popular for models. I also wonder if she's perhaps 1/4 Causasian (also very popular for models) but I don't think its ever said.
Old 2009-02-16, 16:02   Link #57
k'2

Send a message via MSN to k'2 Send a message via Yahoo to k'2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife is 149cm and I'm 183cm (she's of japanese heritage, me of '31flavors-euro') .... so the drawings of the two are fairly accurate (Taiga can walk under Ryuuji's outstretched arm). Ryuuji is tall but there's a subset strain of Japanese that comes in at nearly six feet (often used as Imperial Guards back in the day). Some of my wife's uncles came from a tall family of that strain. Ami is pretty tall but that's quite popular for models. I also wonder if she's perhaps 1/4 Causasian (also very popular for models) but I don't think its ever said.
Ami 1/4 Causasian maybe but nothing refers to it as i remember and also the 2 gals ( don't i remember their names i don't think they were mentioned ) she walks with are the same tall i think
k'2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 16:14   Link #58
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k'2 View Post
Ami 1/4 Causasian maybe but nothing refers to it as i remember and also the 2 gals ( don't i remember their names i don't think they were mentioned ) she walks with are the same tall i think
Kashii Nanako and Kihara Maya.
Old 2009-02-16, 17:01   Link #59
Noamara

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I think they mention Ami's height somewhere but I can't remember what it is. I'm pretty sure size goes like this though:

Ryuuji (That's why he was in the front of the "Shiva Statue") > Yuusaku > Ami > Minori > Taiga (Duh!)
Episode 5 - Kawashima Ami

20:18 Minute

Taiga cries at home in bed and Ryuuji comes and Taiga flips out and says that Ami is 165 cm tall .

Also to everyone interested:

I read some time ago an article that stated it was scientifically...well, sociologically found out that women tend to choose men being 11% of the woman´s own heigt added to the man´s heigt, tall..

Ahh...easier in en example: Ami 165 cm + 11% of her heigt that is 18 cm = the heigt that most women at 165 cm would choose in a man which is 183 cm. Vexx you and me^^ although I am girl^^.

why 11%? Well it seems it makes kind of the height of the head . So most women want a man a head taller than them.

And most ment want the same. A woman one head smaller.

So now you can calculate the sociologically perfect matching height of your dreamgirl .

height of woman : (/) 100% * 11% = perfect match (the height of the man)
Ami 165 cm : (/) 100% * 11% = 183,15 cm

Question: Did Taiga tell Ami´s height in the novel? Did Taiga speak about Sailor Moon´s Ami in the novel?

Edit: Ok I found it in the novel..yup Taiga says Ami is 165 cm tall.

From the novel:
“…Well then…Just why am I such a shortie?”

“Eh?”

That question really caught him off guard, as he didn’t really spend any time thinking about why people are what they are. A few seconds later he tried to spit out a few words,

“T, that is…I guess it’s hereditary, isn’t it…”

He was able to make a passable, relatively safe attempt. However, Taiga in a low voice continued speaking along the same vein,

“…I’m a shortie, and my name is even weird…and I can’t do anything on my own…”

Right there she ended up falling silent.

It was something he was hearing for the first time. That she wanted to do something about her name ‘Taiga’, which was a little over the top considering she’s a girl, and her short stature, which was even the reason she was called ‘Palmtop’. Now that she had mentioned it, it was certainly true that Taiga would greedily consume dairy products all the time.

“I had no idea…So you were worried over that kind of ridiculous thing.”

“…It’s not ridiculous. Unlike you, I’m more sensitive.”

Rubbing her eyes with her small fists, Taiga finally lifted herself up and sat down next to Ryuuji. He couldn’t see it earlier because it had been hidden by her hair, but there was a cooling pad stuck to her round forehead. Maybe it had even ended up swelling. Feeling a pricklish pain in his heart, Ryuuji almost unconsciously started gently stroking part of the cooling pad with the tip of his finger. Taiga just let him do it,

“…What’s that…I’m 165 centimeters tall, so…”

Her lips showed some displeasure as she mumbled that, and she hung her head a little. ‘I’m only just a little taller’, he thought, but then Ryuuji realized. She wasn’t talking about herself here---

“…And my name, it somehow feels like something from Mercury, so…so, so…"

These were things that Ami Kawashima said.

With her stylishly proportionate eight headed figure and her name that seemed cute like an anime character’s. Taiga’s ideal woman who had all the things she wanted, that would be Ami Kawashima.

Sorry when it is spoiler..I do not how to put spoiler tag or how it is called. ._.´
Noamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 17:19   Link #60
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Noamara, wow.

Well, he's tall for Japanese average, I think - what's precisely the Japanese average nowadays? Any good soul here?

Vexx, I think that speculate around '1/4 caucasian' blood is a little far-fetched - the author doesn't think in that kind of detail in such a slice-of-life story.
qwerty_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a