AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-10, 04:40   Link #1
ninpo

Anime series recommended for my 6 year old?

My son and I watched all of the Avatar together and he really enjoyed that, we started watching original Naruto series but I soon realised it wasn't suitable and stopped him from watching it.
We are currently watching One piece, we are on ep 3 but not sure if this would be suitable in later episodes.

Unfortunately he is bored with the other stuff on Cartoon Network and Jetix.

Most of the Anime I have read about are for pre teens and up.

Can anyone recommend an anime series for my 6 year old son?
Old 2008-12-10, 04:51   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There's always My Neighbor Totoro. Awesome and insightful for you, but simple fun for him.

Most else by Miyazaki will also do the job, but at his age I suspect Totoro is the best choice.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-12-10, 05:12   Link #3
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I don't think you find One Piece suitable on later episodes... So it's kinda sad if you watch alot episodes with him and he will start to like it alot, and then deny him to watch it all...

Sorry I can't recommend you any series though..I really only watch stuff for teens and up..
Old 2008-12-10, 05:15   Link #4
bayoab

More things involving cats:
Chi's Sweet Home (Asuki link)
And mechanical cats:
Doraemon

There isn't much available on DVD beside the aforementioned Miyazaki.
Old 2008-12-10, 05:40   Link #5
ninpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
More things involving cats:
Chi's Sweet Home (Asuki link)
And mechanical cats:
Doraemon

There isn't much available on DVD beside the aforementioned Miyazaki.
Thanks I will check those two.

Thanks for all your replies.

We have a lot of anime movies on dvd including all the Miyazaki ones, My Neighbor Totoro which he enjoyed watching in japanese audio and english subs.
Spirited Away though he prefers in english audio which he thinks is better.

Most recent movie we watched together is Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (EngSub) which he really enjoyed.

But I am looking for a series really not a movie,

thanks.
Old 2008-12-10, 06:53   Link #6
Asian Guy
Banned

There only a few Anime for kids so I can't think other than what other members have suggested especially for a boy. Sailormoon is for children but preferably for girl.

Most Anime for children are mostly for girls.

Last edited by Asian Guy; 2008-12-10 at 07:07.
Old 2008-12-10, 08:10   Link #7
wontaek

ARIA is safe for children although I don't know if he will enjoy them. Kamichu is another series I believe to be safe for children as well.
Old 2008-12-10, 08:13   Link #8
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Probably safer would be romantic comedies that dont veer too much to the ecchi side of the spectrum... and even then, it's a slippery slope. I guess it just depends on what you personally believe your son should watch. Most anime have some seriously warped sense of violence for me to consider it suitable for little kids. My three year-old girl, for instance, loves Toradora! and can sing back to back most of Macross Frontier's Sheryl's songs. But you'll never catch her watching Dragonball or Naruto - or even One Piece.

Old 2008-12-10, 09:13   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd start with Dennou Coil, a science-fiction story about ten-year-olds who live and play in a virtual world that's overlaid onto their small japanese city. Great mix of comedy and drama, beautiful animation, and one of my favorite scores of all time.

As others observed, many anime for younger viewers target girls; indeed the "plucky girl" genre of show is one of my favorites. Some of these, like Noein, are probably too complex for his age, but others should be fairly accessible.

Angelic Layer - kids participate in a contest where they fight arena battles using mind-controlled dolls

Nijuu Mensou no Musume - a young heiress has adventures with a master thief; people die in this show, though, and some of those deaths might be disturbing

Rocket Girls - cute show with lots of real science but a silly premise; commercial Japanese company trying to launch space rockets decides to use teen-aged girls because they weigh less than adult astronauts; the main girl's parents are both losers

Shows with young male protagonists

Seirei no Moribito - an adventure set in a fantasy Asian land (~ T'ang China) where a 30-ish female bodyguard is tasked with protecting a young prince; designed for a family audience from a light novel for children; some fighting and a bit of gore, but less so than, say, Mononoke Hime

Hikaru no Go - a young boy encounters the spirit of a Heian-period Go master and becomes inspired to take up the game competitively; more compelling drama over a board game than you could possibly imagine

Another big thumbs up for Chi's Sweet Home. If you happen to own a cat, as I do, you must see this show, but nearly anybody would think it's cute and funny. Episodes are only three minutes long.

Shows that might work, but one's that you should preview for content:

Allison to Lillia (?) - I wasn't a big fan of this show because I thought it too childish; might be good for a six-year-old though

Hakaba Kitaro - dark, but comedic show about a young boy who is the "last survivor of the Ghost tribe"

Ghost Hound - kids discover they have the power of astral projection and use it to investigate strange happenings in their rural Japanese town; may be too "heady" with its use of psychology and brain science; implied adultery and dysfunctional families

Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu - strange girl Guu joins young boy Hale's family living in a technicolor jungle; very funny, however Hale is illegitimate, and his mother drinks heavily

School Rumble - wacky comedy about high-school romances; while the issues in SR are in his future, the offbeat characters could be a hit

Natsume Yuujinchou - a teen-aged boy becomes a source of comfort and aid to lonely monsters; might be too slow and too much "slice-of-life" for a young boy

Shouldn't this be in the Suggestions forum?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-12-11 at 11:41.
Old 2008-12-10, 10:33   Link #10
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Im not sure about what should or not be seen by a 6 year old boy but at that age all my friends and myself were watching dragon ball and saint seya.... the only kind of cartoon or anime i woudnt suggest are the ecchi or drama-romance ones.

Doraemon, Dragon Ball, medabots, digimon are all harmless for children.... unless you let him watch them 24/7 -.-
Old 2008-12-10, 11:30   Link #11
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

I would check out series published in Kodomo genre. (sorry, japanese link).
Magazines like Corocoro (original home of Doraemon).

If he likes mechs, I suggest Sunrise's Brave or the Eldran (sorry, only found a japanese link) series. Eldran is more childish but I'm not sure if you'll find them in English.

Aside that, there's the staple family anime: Sazae-san and Chibimaruko.
Maybe a sports genre anime were the protagonist is around 10 years old?
I can't remember the titles, but there's quite a few animes of this type in soccer and remote control car racing.
Also most likely anything that air off NHK (example YAT! Anshin Uchuu Ryoukou).

Not anime, but you may want to look in the Sentei, Kamen Rider, Ultraman genre as well.

Oh just for your info:
Shounen manga/anime (ex: JUMP, SUNDAY) are aimed for yrs 8+
Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Bleach are all JUMP comics, btw.

But I do think the older GanGan comics ('90's - before Enix merged with Square) are also quite suitable for children of that age. Example: Aria, Mamotte Shugogetten, Mahoujin GuruGuru, ect.
Old 2008-12-10, 12:22   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninpo View Post
My son and I watched all of the Avatar together and he really enjoyed that, we started watching original Naruto series but I soon realised it wasn't suitable and stopped him from watching it.
We are currently watching One piece, we are on ep 3 but not sure if this would be suitable in later episodes.

Unfortunately he is bored with the other stuff on Cartoon Network and Jetix.

Most of the Anime I have read about are for pre teens and up.

Can anyone recommend an anime series for my 6 year old son?
Naruto is not a good idea, even though it targets shounen audiences, but it is more like rated 15+ by American standards. Personally, I think it passes as Cero B, 12+. Still, 6 year old is too young to watch it. My anime recommendations:

Digimon
Inuyasha
Kekkaishi
Meitantei Conan
Monster Rancher
One Piece
Pokemon

Most anime is not recommended for kids, but some of them are. Check the above list at AniDB.net for more information.
Old 2008-12-10, 13:48   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm actually the best effect would be letting your child watch 1 episode of One Piece per week lol. Or just let him watch when he grows up, around 12 or so for the future episodes. The story actually matures itself with the audience and the stories later on are so touching it makes adults cry.

For now the best choice would be Digimon and Pokemon, easy for kids and they love it.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-12-10, 13:57   Link #14
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Naruto is not a good idea, even though it targets shounen audiences, but it is more like rated 15+ by American standards. Personally, I think it passes as Cero B, 12+. Still, 6 year old is too young to watch it. My anime recommendations:

Digimon
Inuyasha
Kekkaishi
Meitantei Conan
Monster Rancher
One Piece
Pokemon

Most anime is not recommended for kids, but some of them are. Check the above list at AniDB.net for more information.
I wouldn't recommend Meitantei conan. Way too violent for a 6 year old.
I'll add in Hayate no Gotoku . They sometimes make fun of the over-self censorship or ridiculousness of it all. A true anime fan will appreciate it for its various references but its still overall a very enjoyable harmless comedy. Seconding classics like pokemon, digimon, and doremon
Old 2008-12-10, 14:54   Link #15
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I'm seconding Monster Rancher which comes in the lines of Digimon actually
Liek you were worried about One Piece would I not recommend others listed in Shadow's post like Inuyasha, Kekkaishi etc. But I do recommend Monster Rancher, Digimon and ofc pokemon

I watched Monster Rancher as a kid I loved it
Also I would add Shinzo to the list

edit: I saw medabots was also listed which is also a good show and now that I thought about it I'm also adding a recommendation for Megaman NT Warrior
Old 2008-12-10, 19:51   Link #16
LeoXiao
思想工作

Miyazaki's films are generally good for kids (the more famous ones). Have your son watch Grave of the Fireflies; it's sad but at the same time very insightful. Then watch something happier.
Old 2008-12-10, 20:43   Link #17
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

At the exeption of most Miyazaki's film, I didn't really watched anything than could be for a 6 year old. Even AzumangaDaioh might be a problem, your child would not even understand half of the joke.
Old 2008-12-10, 20:43   Link #18
foreverdissevered
Endless Entity

Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause
I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside

Every challenge along the way
With courage I will face
I will battle every day
To claim my rightful place
Come with me, the time is right
There's no better team
Arm in arm we'll win the fight
It's always been our dream

No Child Left Behind without Pokemon
Old 2008-12-10, 21:28   Link #19
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Well, most of the shows mentioned above I would not show to an 6 year old. Only Anime series that I've ever seen that may be appropriate for his/her age is Heidi. I have only seen the spanish dubs, and I'm not sure if their is an english dub. Overall it is not the greatest series, but it is appropriate for all ages. It is about a girl living with her grandfather in the alps, and the girl goes through many adventures.
Old 2008-12-10, 22:07   Link #20
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
Well, most of the shows mentioned above I would not show to an 6 year old. Only Anime series that I've ever seen that may be appropriate for his/her age is Heidi. I have only seen the spanish dubs, and I'm not sure if their is an english dub. Overall it is not the greatest series, but it is appropriate for all ages. It is about a girl living with her grandfather in the alps, and the girl goes through many adventures.
Yes, the Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theaters would be very appropriate.
Closed Thread

Tags
children