AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-09, 12:56   Link #681
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I thought I'd mention that 100% area completions give you 10% of your current exp needed to level so you might be better of to leave it at 99% and complete it once you're in the lvl70+ range.
I completed Divinity's Reach and Queensdale at Level 22. Should I restart?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 13:37   Link #682
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Engineer's challenge lies in skill management, since equipping kits means you essentially have 30 skills on you at all time, all with uses varying depending on the situation.
I would say both the Engineer and Elementalist are theoretically in that boat. The issue I have is that while they have a lot of potential skills available without having to drop combat and swap in another one or two weapons, I haven't found there to be any real need to use most of their skills. Engineer, for instance, can pretty much faceroll pve forever running around spamming 1 and 2 with their grenade kit (this class, more than any other, nudges you into turning aoe auto cast on). It bugs me that I hardly ever actually use my weapon, and the allure for Engineer was, for me, to be able to play a gun-wielding character. Sure, you can wield dual pistols as thief, but it's pretty stupid to do so. Throw in having to have that huge pack visible as you lob grenade after grenade, and I just feel the Engineer is too restrictive a playstyle, even if they do technically have a lot of skills to choose from.

I've always held the belief that stationary turrets are bad game design, and that belief hasn't been shaken by GW 2, either.

My issue with the Elementalist is that too many of their skills simply suck. While I enjoy playing a dual dagger/staff ele, I find the attunements to largely be a gimmick. Maybe things just haven't clicked yet. I don't think I properly appreciated the Thief until I had hit the 30s, so I'm open to the idea that there's something I'm just missing from Elementalist gameplay. I keep reading all these posts exclaiming the virtues of attunement swapping, and my perspective is that the long CD on swapping makes it far less appealing than it seems on paper.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 20:01   Link #683
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
HULK SMASH!!! Cool body...dunno if Iam still gonna get this one, with TTT2 coming.
Old 2012-09-09, 20:54   Link #684
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Is this the second week of Full release? Well anyways, Garnished Toast apparently still celebrate our superiority with this kind of tradition:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

My fabulously pregnant male norn necrophile.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-09-10 at 21:50.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 21:15   Link #685
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Thing I found with the engineer is more that the kits you get can completely replace each other more or less. Which I'm sure is the point, but it does feel like you end up ignoring other things because you find something that you like (like the Flame Thrower). I think once you level though Traits will play quite a big part in how you play. For example, I'm kind of a fan of this build, which focuses on pistols, and buffs and is pretty maneuverable.

I like the turret skill, but I think for them to be really useful you need to get specific upgrades for them, like ranged deployment, self healing, toughness, extra damage and whatnot.
Old 2012-09-10, 03:43   Link #686
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Engineer is considered to be underpowered(?) right now, almost all the engineers i saw uses flamethrower ==
Lol...I completed queensdale at lv 15ish....dang....

lv 22 thief passing by ~
xBakaChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 03:46   Link #687
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I've always held the belief that stationary turrets are bad game design, and that belief hasn't been shaken by GW 2, either.
I quite like stationar turrets as a defense mechanism, my main problem is that they rarely tend to do enough damage to actually function as a decent defense mechanism.

Quote:
I keep reading all these posts exclaiming the virtues of attunement swapping, and my perspective is that the long CD on swapping makes it far less appealing than it seems on paper.
Yes, I can definitey find myself there too. Weapon swapping should be accessible with less of a cooldown given how great a feature this is. Warriors can reduce this, but it requires putting 15 points in disciline. Gives me flashbacks to WoW, where putting ten or so points in arms was almost required.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 03:50   Link #688
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Just a question but how do most of you people level up in this game? As for me I do the map completion and then look for dynamic events.
Old 2012-09-10, 03:55   Link #689
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Just a question but how do most of you people level up in this game? As for me I do the map completion and then look for dynamic events.
My order of priority:

- dynamic event
- karma quest giver
- map completion
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 03:56   Link #690
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

I heard some people level up in world pvp, crafting?? Is it really that effective?
Old 2012-09-10, 04:00   Link #691
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:

My issue with the Elementalist is that too many of their skills simply suck. While I enjoy playing a dual dagger/staff ele, I find the attunements to largely be a gimmick. Maybe things just haven't clicked yet. I don't think I properly appreciated the Thief until I had hit the 30s, so I'm open to the idea that there's something I'm just missing from Elementalist gameplay. I keep reading all these posts exclaiming the virtues of attunement swapping, and my perspective is that the long CD on swapping makes it far less appealing than it seems on paper.
The thing is that if you want to maximize your damage output as an elem you will need to swap attunement during your fight and make use of combo field, some are finding this too cumbersome and prefer other type of gameplay.

(Note that traits points spent in the arcane line reduce the attunement CD).

Quote:
I heard some people level up in world pvp, crafting?? Is it really that effective?
World vs World can give you a ton of xp if you can take objectives quickly, otherwise it's not that good, crafting also give good xp but you need a tons of materials.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-10 at 05:27.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 05:51   Link #692
Mr Hat and Clogs

lol, the 'rescue' story quest (with the Order of Whispers in Gandarren Fields) was hilarious. Character got completely sloshed, Best part was when she 'explained' the plan to the person we were rescuing.

Demmi: Do you have a plan to get out of this place alive?
Me: Sooort of. The idea ssstarts with 'run for it' and generalllllly goez downhill from there.

Drunken inflections and all.

... and the secret Whispers headquarters is in a bar, behind the wine cabinet. These guys really like their drink.

There is some great humor in this game.

Baka-chan, Engineer is considered underpowered? lol, friend keeps bitching at me saying the flamethrower needs a good solid nerfing. Honestly I think its just people aren't used to playing it and aren't sure what the usual is for a class like it.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2012-09-10 at 06:01.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 06:48   Link #693
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

As an engineer I definitely feel underpowered when sticking to the pistol/rifle (damage-wise only for the rifle, it's absolutely not underpowered for crowd control purposes) but I definitely don't when using the flamethrower or grenades. My only issue with the flamethrower is that it has really weird hit detection. It can go from spraying down an entire crowd to missing a stationary objective directly in front of me. It also seems to miss everytime I dodge roll and turn around. And Napalm Blast, which can kill an enemy in 2 hits, gets "obstructed" by flat ground pretty frequently.

Unlike seemingly everyone else I really like my turrets. Yeah, their damage is pathetic but the thumper and rocket turrets both have knockdown attacks and draw aggro off me like crazy. I've survived some insane situations with clever use of those 2. If there's anything that's really failed to impress me, it's the "elite skills". Like, I can turn into a rampaging juggernaut for 15 seconds...and deal less damage than I would with the flamethrower while having to run into melee range. Or summon an artillery blast that does less damage than a grenade. Yay...

Last edited by RWBladewing; 2012-09-10 at 09:33. Reason: clarification
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 09:02   Link #694
Mr Hat and Clogs

Juggernaut is pretty amusing, not overly useful but kinda amusing to hulk out on stuff (haven't seen it proc the tornado yet though). I kinda like turning into one of those tree dragon things, which I forget the name for atm with the human racial. The Hounds of Balthazar hit pretty hard from what I witnessed. The Mortar looked pretty cool, saw a guy using it in WvW, dunno about damage though.

Honestly though I've been sticking more to supply drop because of its aoe stun, and copious amounts of med-kits.

Yeah I've noticed that with the flamethrower too, dunno how it misses stationary stuff. I think the napalm blast has a minimum range because ive seen shots fly off into the distance when stuff is closer then a couple feet.

I'm a little jealous of the Elementalist tornado form though, it shreds things it seems, don't get me started on the fiery greatsword though.
Old 2012-09-10, 09:42   Link #695
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

They pwned cooking ingredients being completely NPC bought. Now my necro can't fly to level 80 like my elementalist did It's hauling ass at level 72 atm.

My priority is exploration (OCD) and WvW. World vs world isn't good for levelling unless you're in a high-skilled squad of 5 doing fast skirmishes.

In prime time server clashes, our 5 man team race around the deep end of enemy territory past their front lines and claim towers/camps/steal-orbs back and forth. I got my 200,000 exp with 0 deaths through this method. You have to be fast in running, fast in sieging down a gate (3-rams per door for the 5 of us with very systematic supply-feeding).

My necro alone is spec'd to solo a supply camp (excruciatingly slow). Our team of 5 takes one in 5~10 seconds. We have a mesmer to portal us out of danger and a thief+warrior to chase down anyone we want to kill. Our max capability is probably 5v8. 1v3 is easier than 5v8 because of focus firing. But I'm the slowest so I often get left behind and fed to Zergs

This kind of guerilla warfare farms an insanely high amount of exp+karma in WvW. We also tend to have 30+ people behind us reclaiming locations we captured. So it's great to be a diversion for the server.

Unlike unorganized groups, we have very organized supply runs and have no hesitation with dropping siege equipments (even trebuchets). 100% of our blueprints are from doing the 4 jumping puzzles.

You guys should seriously give it a shot if you can get a group together. Build for tank + mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
lol, the 'rescue' story quest (with the Order of Whispers in Gandarren Fields) was hilarious. Character got completely sloshed, Best part was when she 'explained' the plan to the person we were rescuing.

Demmi: Do you have a plan to get out of this place alive?
Me: Sooort of. The idea ssstarts with 'run for it' and generalllllly goez downhill from there.

Drunken inflections and all.

... and the secret Whispers headquarters is in a bar, behind the wine cabinet. These guys really like their drink.

There is some great humor in this game.
"So that's why it's called the Order of Whispers, no one would EVER brag about this." (paraphrased, probably incorrect)

My favorite line in the game.
Old 2012-09-10, 11:08   Link #696
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Keg Brawl > all other MMO PVP

I am a GOD at it, No one can stop me with the keg unless everyone is on me.
Old 2012-09-10, 14:54   Link #697
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Juggernaut is pretty amusing, not overly useful but kinda amusing to hulk out on stuff (haven't seen it proc the tornado yet though). I kinda like turning into one of those tree dragon things, which I forget the name for atm with the human racial. The Hounds of Balthazar hit pretty hard from what I witnessed. The Mortar looked pretty cool, saw a guy using it in WvW, dunno about damage though.

Honestly though I've been sticking more to supply drop because of its aoe stun, and copious amounts of med-kits.

Yeah I've noticed that with the flamethrower too, dunno how it misses stationary stuff. I think the napalm blast has a minimum range because ive seen shots fly off into the distance when stuff is closer then a couple feet.

I'm a little jealous of the Elementalist tornado form though, it shreds things it seems, don't get me started on the fiery greatsword though.
Whenever i use juggernaut I felt like the tank from l4d2, especially with that rock throwing skill....lol...

anyone got any tips on how to play thief in pvp? Mesmers just seem to be dominating me...
Old 2012-09-10, 15:09   Link #698
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Whenever i use juggernaut I felt like the tank from l4d2, especially with that rock throwing skill....lol...

anyone got any tips on how to play thief in pvp? Mesmers just seem to be dominating me...
I don't play thief but stealth + backstab focused build is pretty harsh and scales fairly well with your own skills. I know this is so generic. xD

But I don't know any skill/trait specifics.
Old 2012-09-10, 15:14   Link #699
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't play thief but stealth + backstab focused build is pretty harsh and scales fairly well with your own skills. I know this is so generic. xD

But I don't know any skill/trait specifics.
I been trying crit stealth thief, and it been working pretty well, but felt like I was lacking in terms of damage compare to other class. Great for getting away in fights tho LOL
Old 2012-09-10, 15:18   Link #700
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

For pve, turrets are great for dps and distracting the mob especially when traited for dmg reduction, self repair and additional dmg.

For WvW, I use a power rifle build and so far I had a lot of success with it. Then again, I m lvl 80 with an exotic rifle so the gear and trait difference plays a big role. I m using medkit, power goggles, battering ram, toolkit and supply drop as utility for skirmishes.