AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-05-20, 14:15   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

difference between wire and wireless

currently in my office i have a wireless internet setup and in my house i still have the wire internet setup.

i notice that some bt are faster with the wire setup and very slow with wireless setup. But the wireless is more stable as the wire ver would sometimes disconnect form the internet for a few mins.

i am using AT&T in California.
Old 2009-05-20, 14:22   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Wireless uses a common protocol called 802.11 which operates at 2.4 GHz (with the exception of 802.11a/n which operates at 5GHz). The problem is that the bandwidth output varies because of many factors including infrastructure, interference with other devices (like cordless phones, microwaves, etc) and signal strength, with this is less of a problem with 802.11a/n. With faster connections (like cable or FiOS), you won't be able to take advantage of higher speeds unless you use 802.11 which gives the same output theoretically as 100 mbps Ethernet.

Wired connections are usually faster because they don't have problems like wireless, but requires wires.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:49   Link #3
ashgray2

I have a wire setup in my desktop here at home and a wireless setup for my laptop, PSP and IPOD. They have the same speed when I'm using it to connect on the internet. But based of what I have read over the internet wired connection is much faster that wireless.

Last edited by ashgray2; 2009-05-30 at 22:24.
ashgray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:21   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgray2 View Post
They have the same speed when I'm using it to connect on the internet.
That's because your connection to the Internet is slower, often much slower, than the connections inside your local network.

Wired connections generally run at 100 million bits/second or 1000 Mb/s (so-called "gigabit" Ethernet). The most common wireless connection, 802.11g, is 54 Mb/s, though devices using the recent 802.11n spec reach twice that speed, or about the same as 100 Mb/s wired connections. The fastest consumer Internet services in the US rarely go much above 20 Mb/s downstream.

Also your Internet speeds are constrained by the connection at the server end. On the commercial server I share with a client, the connection speed is just 1 Mb/s. So if you visit one of the sites on that machine, that's the fastest speed you'll see. Commercial sites like YouTube obviously have lots more bandwidth than that in total, but each connection is typically limited so that a few high-speed users won't degrade the service for everyone else.

@ Xellos-_^
If your wired connection is dropping out, I'd first suspect a loose physical connection, though if this happens with torrents, the problem might be that you're trying to set up too many simultaneous connections.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:53   Link #5
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
currently in my office i have a wireless internet setup and in my house i still have the wire internet setup.

i notice that some bt are faster with the wire setup and very slow with wireless setup. But the wireless is more stable as the wire ver would sometimes disconnect form the internet for a few mins.
That's ordinary. Wired connections are generally faster and MUCH cheaper. But I think it's because of what the ISP's offer more than anything else.

Wired connections here are very cheap. The cheapest connection here is 1.2mbps at 899 pesos a month. There exists a 12mbps plan, but only one ISP company is offering it for 5999 pesos. Both are unlimited, which means no caps unlike many Western ISP's.

My wireless device maxes out at a mere 460kbps and costs 10 pesos every 30 minutes, no matter if you actually consume all of it or disconnect before you reach that period. Now, if you compute the total amount of time I spend online, you'd notice how a wired connection would suit me much better.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote