AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-09-27, 20:58   Link #221
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I had some natto for the first time today. Tasted kind of like a lightly roasted coffee. Have no idea how to deal with all the threads. Getting a few bunches from the bowl to my mouth seemed to cover my arms in the same sensation I get when I run into a large spider web. Any tips?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 01:09   Link #222
Sumeragi
Banned

Use nori to wrap around the natto when eating.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 20:59   Link #223
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Use nori to wrap around the natto when eating.
Thanks. It goes quite well with nori.

I blended a few large spoonfuls with banana, milk, and cream. It gives it an interesting earthiness and and smooth texture, with a slight lip-smacking stickiness.

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-10-05 at 00:53. Reason: Blah.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 22:46   Link #224
oraf

i miss natto. almost everyday i had me a pack as a side dish along with whatever was served for dinner during my drift in Japan. the only city i found myself not eating natto was for whenever i took stay in Osaka. that city don't like it much.
oraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 05:36   Link #225
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraf View Post
i miss natto. almost everyday i had me a pack as a side dish along with whatever was served for dinner during my drift in Japan. the only city i found myself not eating natto was for whenever i took stay in Osaka. that city don't like it much.
Here is an interesting secret nato, is very simple to make if you have the right ingredient.
What you need is soy beans and rice straw, the nato bacteria(that is the name) is native to the rice straw.
You just place the soy bean in water for a night then boil till soften. You also need to boil the rice straw for 45 seconds to sterilize the straw beside the nato bacteria since nato bacteria is highly resistant to heat. Place the boiled soy beans into the rice straw and tie it up and leave it for two to three days for the soy beans to ferment and you got nato.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 13:50   Link #226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My wife's grandfather immigrated from Japan in the 1920s. For a long time, in addition to his farming, he also acted as the local importer for many other Japanese families in the part of Texas he was in. Well... he had this stuff he called "natto" and everyone in the area called it "natto" .. my wife called it "natto" because he called it that.

Summary, when we got to the West Coast, and started shopping what was available here, we discovered "natto" was something completely different (the stringy stuff) and have NO IDEA why he called that stuff "natto".

It is a fermented chili bean curd, cubed, and pickled in a thick spicy liquid. Its very good (though definitely in the "advanced" area for neophyte asian food eaters).

I'm guessing 'natto' had a wider variety of meaning back in the 1920s???
It has my wife utterly befuzzled, any clues?
Old 2011-10-04, 17:20   Link #227
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife's grandfather immigrated from Japan in the 1920s. For a long time, in addition to his farming, he also acted as the local importer for many other Japanese families in the part of Texas he was in. Well... he had this stuff he called "natto" and everyone in the area called it "natto" .. my wife called it "natto" because he called it that.

Summary, when we got to the West Coast, and started shopping what was available here, we discovered "natto" was something completely different (the stringy stuff) and have NO IDEA why he called that stuff "natto".

It is a fermented chili bean curd, cubed, and pickled in a thick spicy liquid. Its very good (though definitely in the "advanced" area for neophyte asian food eaters).

I'm guessing 'natto' had a wider variety of meaning back in the 1920s???
It has my wife utterly befuzzled, any clues?
Natto(food dishesin general) was a local delicacy before the Shinkansen was inagurated. It depends on which part of Japan your grandfather in law originated.
In Kyoto, Natto(大徳寺納豆) is a sugary bean ate as candy.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 18:10   Link #228
oraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Here is an interesting secret nato, is very simple to make if you have the right ingredient.
What you need is soy beans and rice straw, the nato bacteria(that is the name) is native to the rice straw.
You just place the soy bean in water for a night then boil till soften. You also need to boil the rice straw for 45 seconds to sterilize the straw beside the nato bacteria since nato bacteria is highly resistant to heat. Place the boiled soy beans into the rice straw and tie it up and leave it for two to three days for the soy beans to ferment and you got nato.
nice! i ought to try this in my spare time. sounds easy too. i can find the soy beans and i could probably find the rice straws in chinatown. and maybe a little trip to koreatown for a little kimchi and we're back to good ol' natto x kimchi
oraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 20:36   Link #229
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Been eating a lot of nori lately. I enjoy it steamed with greens like kale and spinach. The mineral content is fantastic.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 19:36   Link #230
Kudryavka

Anyone know if inari sushi can be refrigerated for long periods of time? I'd like to keep it refrigerated for ~8 hours before serving it at a potluck. Will the rice dry out, or will the sushi rice juice and aburaage juice keep it moist enough? I'm going to be storing them rice side open and down, if that helps any.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 21:03   Link #231
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Anyone know if inari sushi can be refrigerated for long periods of time? I'd like to keep it refrigerated for ~8 hours before serving it at a potluck. Will the rice dry out, or will the sushi rice juice and aburaage juice keep it moist enough? I'm going to be storing them rice side open and down, if that helps any.
Cover the entire plate of the inari with plastic wrap, making sure to keep the air out while doing so. That should keep it moist enough in the fridge.

I never thought I'll be giving out cooking advice here
Old 2011-10-05, 22:05   Link #232
suki888

i like Japanese food, healthy and delicious
suki888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:52   Link #233
subwaygyal

taiyaki is freeaaakin amaaazzing ! deff on my top 10 fav food to eat
subwaygyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 12:32   Link #234
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

To ChainLegacy: Have you ever tried wakame? And if you like nori a lot, be sure and try the little sprinkle seasonings called furikake (usually made of nori crumbs and other ingredients like bonito flakes, sesame beads, dry wasabi, etc). I often put furikake on my scrambled eggs and popcorn.

To Kudryavka: be aware that the inari sushi, even if properly covered, may tend to dry out. How long it stays depends on how crunchy you can tolerate your rice. Sometimes you can revive the inari somewhat by sprinkling water on it and microwaving it for a minute or two. For me, about two days is the break point before I'm eating it out of grim determination rather than enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki888 View Post
i like Japanese food, healthy and delicious
Yes, but what kind of japanese food do you like? See topic title

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwaygyal View Post
taiyaki is freeaaakin amaaazzing ! deff on my top 10 fav food to eat
You should also try manju and mochi if you haven't (other dessert treats). Taiyaki now comes with all sorts of fillings in addition to azuki (sweet red bean) including peanut butter, shrimp paste, white chocolate, etc. The azuki can also come in both pasty and chunky modes.
--------------------------
Finally, both of you new posters. This is a forum, not an SMS text or a chatroom, so its encouraged to use real words, sentences, and grammar. Notice how all the other posters write and read the Forum Rules if you haven't. Welcome to the forums
Old 2011-12-01, 19:20   Link #235
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I tried nattou for the first time recently.

My cousins made me try some saying it was "delicious" (I could see from their faces that they actually disliked it lol). So I tried some, and it was... Tolerable. Lol. I think it would have been better if I had more rice that time..

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 21:41   Link #236
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

So I watched the documentary "Jiro Dream of Sushi" and damn the sushi looks amazing. Anyone ever had the chance to try it? It seems to be ridiculously expensive but worth it. I hoping I will have a chance to eat it someday.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-08-02, 22:41   Link #237
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

If I didn't grow up in Japan, I would think natto is the most disgusting thing ever, just like majority of the world.
I can enjoy it fine, but I cannot fathom how any non-Japanese can eat that crap.

It's perfect to prank out foreigners though.
It's like our version of Hawaii's poi.
Old 2012-08-02, 23:21   Link #238
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
So I watched the documentary "Jiro Dream of Sushi" and damn the sushi looks amazing. Anyone ever had the chance to try it? It seems to be ridiculously expensive but worth it. I hoping I will have a chance to eat it someday.
I've been to Sukiyabashi Jiro before it got the three Michelin stars. It's minimum 30,000 yen (changes based on the season, ingredients, etc) for 19 pieces of sushi and dessert. It's perfect from the minimalist school's view.
Old 2012-09-29, 18:53   Link #239
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh hey, I just found this thread! I love Japanese food!

^ I was thinking of trying to get into "Jiro's" and a couple of other restaurants when I was planning my trip to Tokyo, but ran into all these problems trying to get reservations while I was overseas. I now know I just need to get my hotel concierge to confirm that I'm staying there

Next time I will definitely at least get out to at least one or two of Nihonryouri Ryuugin, Sushi Mizutani, Ginza Kyubey (and no I don't want to be a mahou shoujo ) and Les Créations de Narisawa!

As for "Jiro's" .. when I was doing my research about potentially going there I ran across repeated allegations of racism by the owner, so it's made me feel somewhat mixed about it.. Hard to know the truth from tens of thousands of miles away..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 20:12   Link #240
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Man, I haven't had sushi in years....

I tried Pocky for the first time ever recently...thanks to the local Wally World near me.

It was pretty good. Not as sweet as other Asian goodies I've tasted.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote