AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-12-31, 02:51   Link #2161
Tenzen12

1. Any recap episode would be "trainwrekish" if you consider it as standalone work. It's trying compress far greater content into very little time afterall. It doesn't metter if it try go for anime or manga version (plus implementation of setokai means lot of new (very compressed) content eitherway)

2. It's noteworthy that advice Gunzou gave to Iona is repeating advice she did gave him before...

3. Don't worry as long as you are able write anything worth of agreeing (like your evalution of DeGilga post), I don't have problem doing so. It would be great improvement if it didn't happened only once per blue moon.
Old 2014-12-31, 04:36   Link #2162
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^
1. Evangelion: Death & Rebirth is a pretty good recap movie which makes better comparison to Ars Nova recap movie than Rozen Maiden's recap episode which only 20-25-minutes long.

2. Yeah, it is. But that doesn't invalidate my opinion.

3. Spoken like a true elitist.
Old 2014-12-31, 05:27   Link #2163
Tenzen12

1. Obviously movie will have more time for recap ( so yeah D&R is better in that metter), but NGE one was was still obviously all over place due it's recap nature. Definitely not something that would be noteworthy as standalone work.

Reason for using RM should be obvious from context: it's recap of original work to cover differences between medias (and with setokai present it can hardly be considered as Ars Nova recap.

2. Right it doesn't. But it render void only argument you used to back it up: that "she received advice".Also word seems imply it gives such impression in general (which is point I disagree) not not your personal one.

3. Well if you mean my belive that your reasoning is inferior, yeah that's true story. But once again I will stop here and grant you rights on last of offensive remark. You are in lead in that metter btw.
Old 2014-12-31, 05:36   Link #2164
DerGilga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Spoiler for space:
1) Kongou already won the race because she isn't on the bottom of the ocean right now. Why do you think she is referring to mental models in general and not the battle she is participating right now? Her monolog implies the later for me.

2) I have sadly no idea what your talking about or referring to. Could you name some manga examples?

3) 3D-printer Kongou cannot create new ships. She has to summon the cores from her fleet, which she split into the hunt and the blockade fleet. By continuing to summon cores the hunter fleet becomes stronger while the blockade fleet becomes weaker. To make her plan work she has to weaken the blockade. So how does the 3d printer plan makes breaking through the blockade harder when the blockade itself will become weaker? I honestly don't see it.
Also if your plan needs are 'neutral' observer to interfere to work in the first place your plan sucks.

4) You say that Kongou is the least experienced, but then say she would still win over Nagato & Hyuuga? The comments from Zordan Stark and Chihaya Shouzou imply Nagato to be a very strong opponent. Also she is a delta core while Kongou isn't. Hyuuga lived around humans now for a while. 400 & 402 comments and Takao's battle showed us how experiencing humans is a huge boost to the tactics of mental models. So why would Hyuuga lose in a fleet battle, where tactics are of most importance?
And being the natural enemy of 'creativity', do you have an example? In this battle she has lost to Iona's 'creativity' 10 chapters ago. She 'lost' to Gunzou's 'creativity' at Iwo Jima. Also the manga permantly reminds us how the lack of 'creativity' is the Achilles heel of the fog. I would even say that this battle is showing how the old fog, without humans, is way inferior to a new fog, with humans.

Another point:
This whole battle has to open Kongou's eyes on how incompetent the fog is without humans. On one side there are 2 battleships(37kt) plus one fleet flagship equipment(which looks massive), 4 heavy cruiser(13kt) and a number of destroyers and submarines against one modified submarine(7kt) with a very small and young human crew. And it isn't totally one-sided, which I actually expected it to be at the beginning, but fierce battle with both sides having loses. If a fog ship would need advertising on how great a human crew is, this battle would be it. Imagine how strong a battleship(70kt) with a larger and older human crew would be.
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-31, 05:55   Link #2165
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
1. Obviously movie will have more time for recap ( so yeah D&R is better in that metter), but NGE one was was still obviously all over place due it's recap nature. Definitely not something that would be noteworthy as standalone work.

Reason for using RM should be obvious from context: it's recap of original work to cover differences between medias (and with setokai present it can hardly be considered as Ars Nova recap.

2. Right it doesn't. But it render void only argument you used to back it up: that "she received advice".Also word seems imply it gives such impression in general (which is point I disagree) not not your personal one.

3. Well if you mean my belive that your reasoning is inferior, yeah that's true story. But once again I will stop here and grant you rights on last of offensive remark. You are in lead in that metter btw.
^
1. Wanna know some successful recap movies with additional materials? Lo and behold: Mobile Suit Gundam movies (3 movies compressing 42-43 episodes), Zeta Gundam movies (3 movies compressing 50 episodes), Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) Alone (compressing early episodes of NGE before Asuka appears), The 08th MS Team: Miller's Report, Gundam 0083: Afterglow of Zeon, Gundam SEED & Destiny Special Edition, and some others. Also, Ars Nova recap doesn't have to be a noteworthy standalone movie (I never said that), just be a good recap movie like my examples above.

2. The "she receive advise" is not an argument, but something that give me impression. Impression doesn't need valid back-up. People can get impression that someone is smart from the way s/he dress or talk. Of course, that's not always true or correct, but that's the nature of impression. So your "the advise originated from Iona" does not void anything I said.

3. In lead of offense? My first reply to you "It's nice to see that you can still agree with something that I said instead of being total contrarian just for the sake of it." is actually a compliment because I compare it to certain other members who continuously offend me (see previous page).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGilga View Post
Imagine how strong a battleship(70kt) with a larger and older human crew would be.
You mean "more experienced" crew, right? Because "older" doesn't always mean "wiser" or "smarter" .

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2014-12-31 at 06:07.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-31, 06:39   Link #2166
DerGilga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^
You mean "more experienced" crew, right? Because "older" doesn't always mean "wiser" or "smarter" .
Point taken.
Old 2014-12-31, 06:54   Link #2167
Tenzen12

>DerGilga> I am currently on my cellphone, which is not exactly best suited for long post. I promise I will adress it later (though it mright not be sooner than tomorrow.

>Obelisk> first of all I owe you my apology. I was called contrarian not long ago and am rather oversensitive about It because that I misread your post. I am sorry.

-For recaps, I do think good recap movie is oxymoron, it just happen some are better than others. For New content, setokai rise nnumber of characters by one third, in story that heavily depend on Kongou getting completely abandoned. It can't have much to do with Ars Nova as we know.
-For impressions. Again, I did sat that I disagree that "it seems" she is not on that level. It seems and "it seeme to you" are two different things.

Ps: contrarian for sake of itself is redudant. Doing it for sake itself is fundamental part of being contrarian.
Old 2014-12-31, 18:02   Link #2168
Velsy

I've started reading this story recently and found somehow I have become interested in it. I did start reading it unsure if I would like it or not, but finding the concept of the ships having andriods or in this case worded as mental models to be an interesting idea. While I am only 40 or so chapters in or so, so far. I sorta have some minor questions out of curiosity.

1, Early on in the manga, when Takao was confronted by 400 and 402. It didn't seem like they knew who the crew of 401 was. But then started throwing Gouzos name around because he was the son of someone who joined the FOG. So it become confusing. Did they pull the intel from the Tactical link network from Ionas data, or did they somehow know beforehand ? Later on you find out both Gouzos dad and Yamato want him killed. But this scene kinda feels like a mess.

2, Takao just lost to 2501, which means her ship is gone. So say if they do somehow recover her, is she going to be a dead weight character now ? I've liked Takao very much, probably the most interesting characters so far as a mental model (actually probably closely tied with Maya or Kongou for similar reasons ) So the thought of it has kinda take the wind out of the sails. In Hyuugas case, I can understand their fight happened before the story and its revealed enough information to paint the picture of thier battle. Since then she became the the 2nd cpu(?) in assisting Iona and seems really good in ship repair/maintenance. Plus it mentioned she was flagship like Kangou and Yamato, So her processing power is top notch.

So there's really no place for Takao now if shes no longer a ship?. I really wanted to see her act as a ship under Gouzous command. I was really interested by how crazy she became from her first encounter with the 401. That crazyness was leading to her improvement. Cores simply cant be installed into a new ship can they ? (well I dont understand yet how they even became high tech ships in the first place :s) But then that would be bad if the enemy could easily do that.

3- The Fog.... I dont get them anymore, Its been told that both His father and Yamato want Gouzou dead. And yeah, the're certainly trying or maybe not <.<. As what 402 just did didnt really make much sense as a fog ship loyal to Yamato >< especially when 401 was within reach. Then the 2501, had game set and match over 401, Then he let them go? not sink them ? Because he wants to fight them again?. Are they killing him or not O_o

So am I right to say the fog has infighting between 3 factions ? His father, Yamato and then theres Kongou. His father and Yamato are definitely scheming. Thought Kongou seems she would be the true leader whos staying true to the fogs ideals. Is this pretty much whats happening in the fog.

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2014-12-31 at 18:14.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-31, 19:54   Link #2169
Tenzen12

2.Well Yamato knows and thus it's not surprising submarine sisters that are her direct subordinates get to know either.

2.whether she get her ship depend on Yamato benevolence, but she is currently hanging around some key Intel and Takao showed on Iwo jima how much she can do even without ship. There is no need worry.

3. Neither Yamato nor Shouzou truly want Gunzou dead...but yeah Zordan was just fooling around with him, because curiosity.

There various factions, Nagato has own too and there are some new factions further in story. As for Kongou she is not really leader type, nor interested in inner strifes.
Old 2014-12-31, 21:09   Link #2170
kagato3

It was implied that Shouzou knew his son wasn't dead because of how Yamato was acting which implies that had he died very bad things would happen and the fact she looks identical to someone Gunzou was close to it is clear she doesn't want him dead.
Spoiler for stuff:
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 09:30   Link #2171
Velsy

Quote:
Takao showed on Iwo jima how much she can do even without ship. There is no need worry.

3. Neither Yamato nor Shouzou truly want Gunzou dead...but yeah Zordan was just fooling around with him, because curiosity.
Well it seemed like Zordan came from Shouzous fleet to sink him, and either 400 or 402 ( I get confused from the both of them) told Takao to kill him specifically if she found them. Which I thought was an interesting fact to the story. But then it does get weirder when it turns out Yamato looks like a dead girl he knew.

I wasn't going to ask this at first since I decided I dont have enough information on it myself yet. But I basically came to the conclusion so far. Yamato has taken the form of this dead girl. Or Amaha has been a mental model all along. If the later, which is what I am leaning on. If I start painting the picture from all the little bits of information I have gather so far. It feels like something dirty did happen at facility 4. I also get the feeling the masked guy is not telling Gouzou something important. I reckon hes wearing a mask to cover the burn scars to his face too. So yeah, adding the reference 400(2) said to kill Gouzou, then add in the disaster for facility 4 along with the death of 50 or so talented naval recruits. Thats the picture I am getting for now <.< But as yous mention Yamato doesn't want Gouzou killed? well its something I dont know about yet. which is fine, since Im not really up to the latest chapter yet.

As for Takao, well it showed what Hyuuga could do, as a flagship core. But Takao seems she'd wont be as interesting and useful without a ship. Guess I'll have to get over it and look forward to the next ship that reacts similar to Takao and they could win over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
It was implied that Shouzou knew his son wasn't dead because of how Yamato was acting which implies that had he died very bad things would happen and the fact she looks identical to someone Gunzou was close to it is clear she doesn't want him dead.
Spoiler for stuff:
Well, one of the most mysterious things to this story which has me most interested is why Iona is operating with the humans. Why did a fog ship leave the fog command to serve humans, specifically asking gouzou to become its captain. I am thinking it may have a slim chance at something to do with the Admiral code. But if shes under orders to do this, well it certainly would take the wind out this mystery. I was intrigued by it thinking it was on her own "free will".

But well if its hinted like that and shes still under Yamatos orders. keh what a let down <.< But if Yamato isn't truely trying to kill him, even tho its weird as she was most concerned loosing ships to 401 in the earlier chapters. It can make sense as Iona being once commanded by Yamato (um, still is in this case).

Anyway thanks for giving me some answers, hopefully keep reading this and see how it goes.

oh and something funny, whenever I hear the word Blue Steel. I am remembered of .... Ben Stiller O_o

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2015-01-01 at 09:40.
Old 2015-01-01, 17:04   Link #2172
DerGilga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
... Or Amaha has been a mental model all along...
With all information given sofar this indeed seems to be case. As a matter of fact, it seems so obvious that you have to wonder if the authors are trying to mislead the readers. Regarding the masked guy, Oribe Sou, he wore the mask already befor the fire. Also I think somewhere it's stated he has to wear it because of allergy/health issues.

Quote:
... I was intrigued by it thinking it was on her own "free will"...
It is. There is a Drama CD about Iona's and Gunzou's first meeting. Her orders were 'go to him and evaluate his abilities'. Everthing after that seems to be on her own free will. Yamato also cherish creativity and independence of individual mental models a lot. My understanding of Yamato's and Iona's relation ship is that technically she is still under Yamato's control. But Yamato simply isn't giving any order.
Old 2015-01-02, 06:16   Link #2173
Tenzen12

>DerGilga>

Spoiler for for space:
Old 2015-01-02, 15:32   Link #2174
DerGilga
Banned

>Tenzen12
Spoiler for long text:

Last edited by DerGilga; 2015-01-02 at 16:58. Reason: math
Old 2015-01-02, 20:18   Link #2175
Velsy

Another things thats been on my mind.

Why did they need to modify humans (genetic engineer?) just to have someone be president of northern Japan? I dont get the thought patten behind that. Isnt that what politicians are for ?

oh and the other thing. Can Japan really not produce anymore of the the Vibration Warheads? I see why they are trying to send the specifics to USA to "mass" produce. But can Japan really only make 5 of them? To which they only have 1 left.

I understand they're blockaded, but it really has that much effect . (I lol'd at Brittan for giving up, heh they even beat France to the White flag this time).

Tho I can say, luckily the FOG dont seem to have possess planes and Aircraft carriers. Then the situation would be fare more worse. Worse than being blockaded.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2015-01-02, 22:45   Link #2176
00Zy99
In Winter, Is Zeong

Quote:
Another things thats been on my mind.

Why did they need to modify humans (genetic engineer?) just to have someone be president of northern Japan? I dont get the thought patten behind that. Isnt that what politicians are for ?
Unknown.

Quote:
oh and the other thing. Can Japan really not produce anymore of the the Vibration Warheads? I see why they are trying to send the specifics to USA to "mass" produce. But can Japan really only make 5 of them? To which they only have 1 left.
Rare materials? Sensitive assembly equipment?

Quote:
I understand they're blockaded, but it really has that much effect . (I lol'd at Brittan for giving up, heh they even beat France to the White flag this time).
It's been a whole generation.

France:

A) Has more agricultural land, and higher quality.
B) Is on a continent and can therefore trade with other powers.
C) Is involved in a land war somewhere in Europe (as is everyone else aside from Britain).

Spoiler:

Last edited by 00Zy99; 2015-01-02 at 23:06.
00Zy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 22:54   Link #2177
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
>Obelisk> first of all I owe you my apology. I was called contrarian not long ago and am rather oversensitive about It because that I misread your post. I am sorry.
That's okay. Apology accepted.

Quote:
-For recaps, I do think good recap movie is oxymoron, it just happen some are better than others. For New content, setokai rise nnumber of characters by one third, in story that heavily depend on Kongou getting completely abandoned. It can't have much to do with Ars Nova as we know.
My problem with Rozen Maiden recap (which you used as example) is that it doesn't really has flow in it. It's just presenting plot points *bam, bam, bam* like the lifeless machinery filling soda bottles in factories. The pacing is ruined and there's no emotional investment to the story that unfolds. On the other hands, the good examples that I mentioned above has actual beats and flow, the pacing is good (though still naturally fast because it's a recap) but the story is still comprehensible and the audience have time to invest with the plot and character-arcs presented in front of them. So no, I don't want Ars Nova movie 1 to be like Rozen Maiden recap. I want it to be a lot better than that. That's all I want to say.

Quote:
-For impressions. Again, I did sat that I disagree that "it seems" she is not on that level. It seems and "it seeme to you" are two different things.
Are you seriously going into semantics & grammar discussion of the difference between "it seems" and "it seems to me"? We're in a discussion board. I think it's obvious when I (the writer) said "it seems", the impression comes to me and it's for me (it's a subjective matter to begin with). Disagreing with my impression is cool and all, but my usage of "it seems" is still correct in the context of a discussion board. As far as my experience posting in various English forums and discussion boards goes, nobody that I talked to ever had any problem whenever I say "it seems". They instantly understand exactly what I meant and responded well accordingly.

Quote:
From the conversation between Makoto, Haruna & Kirishima during the dinner, it is hinted a little bit that Prof. Osakabe's "children" are made to rule to make the government as clean as possible and not corrupt since they don't have many feelings ("hate" is one of many feelings they don't have, yet they can still joke and be happy). If you want a comparison, they're like the Bioroids from Shiro Masamune's Appleseed manga/anime. Basically, a "better" human because they think more positively.

Quote:
Well, that's the fact presented in the manga which I think it's a fair game. We all know that Japan in general is lacking natural resources compared to other countries like Sounteast Asia, America, Africa, etc. And I assume the trials and errors during the making of the VW kinda sucked them dry.

Quote:
Tho I can say, luckily the FOG dont seem to have possess planes and Aircraft carriers. Then the situation would be fare more worse. Worse than being blockaded.
I wanted to say "I won't spoil it for you since you've only read to chap 40 or so, but after reading some latest chapters, you'll be surprised" but I see that 00idiot above already spoiled it for you .
Old 2015-01-02, 23:09   Link #2178
00Zy99
In Winter, Is Zeong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
From the conversation between Makoto, Haruna & Kirishima during the dinner, it is hinted a little bit that Prof. Osakabe's "children" are made to rule to make the government as clean as possible and not corrupt since they don't have many feelings ("hate" is one of many feelings they don't have, yet they can still joke and be happy). If you want a comparison, they're like the Bioroids from Shiro Masamune's Appleseed manga/anime. Basically, a "better" human because they think more positively.
Given the notorious level of corruption and politicking in Japanese government historically, today, and as seen in the manga, I'd say this pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Well, that's the fact presented in the manga which I think it's a fair game. We all know that Japan in general is lacking natural resources compared to other countries like Sounteast Asia, America, Africa, etc. And I assume the trials and errors during the making of the VW kinda sucked them dry.
Yeah, this.

Quote:
I wanted to say "I won't spoil it for you since you've only read to chap 40 or so, but after reading some latest chapters, you'll be surprised" but I see that 00idiot above already spoiled it for you .
Sorry, I'm not very good with spoilers. I can barely manage to multi-quote.
Old 2015-01-02, 23:33   Link #2179
Velsy

Heh, I just realized my error. I just arrived at the chapter that brang in an aircraft carrier. It had no planes tho, which was just explained above anyway ^_^

But sitting around doing nothing seems like a good explanation,

Had to read through boring scenes with Haruna and that brat too <.<. Should just stay sunk >< . btw should I be asking why this little brat knows about the operation for 401 carrying the warhead to America ? They are not really trying to keep intel at low key are they ?

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2015-01-02 at 23:47.
Old 2015-01-02, 23:54   Link #2180
00Zy99
In Winter, Is Zeong

Quote:
Had to read through boring scenes with Haruna and that brat too <.<. Should just stay sunk >< . btw should I be asking why this little brat knows about the operation for 401 carrying the warhead to America ? They are not really trying to keep intel at low key are they ?
I happen to LIKE Makie for the most part.

She's the one who DESIGNED the warhead, so she knows all about it. It's the reason she was engineered into being to begin with. It wasn't seen as much of a problem when they told her that I-401 was taking it to the US. The Fog had already figured out that much anyways.

Tags
action, comedy, sci-fi, seinen