AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 39 36.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 38.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-12, 20:44   Link #41
whatbob1
huh

It's just for plot convenience that she is crippled. Author needed a way to prevent Saber from running around and firing giant laser beams at every servant.

Saber herself even mentions this in the LN something along the lines if only she could hold the hilt with both hands she could vaporize this trash (Caster).
whatbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 20:45   Link #42
Kagayaki

This is why Saber was justified in being worried about fighting Caster with one arm last episode. If Caster was trying to provoke her into doing something stupid, he went about it the right way, and this time her sense of honor probably overcame her worries about her lack of certain abilities.

Also, Saber isn't actually the strongest servant. That was sort of .... overhype. She's very powerful all around (when she has both hands). It's not like she's so good that nobody else has a chance in 1v1 combat though. All the servants are more evenly matched than they make it seem sometimes.
Old 2011-11-12, 20:50   Link #43
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
So basically Saber underestimated Lancer and she's now crippled down to a weakened default attack. Ah great, well, teaches you a lesson here then.

Thanks for the information.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 22:08   Link #44
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
Don't think Saber underestimated Lancer, she's just... well, honorable, and answered Lancer's challenge, that's really as simple as things get.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 22:15   Link #45
dark998

Vast improvement over last week and the first master vs master duel was very interesting. So even the Magus Killer has some magic tricks under his sleeve, huh?

Lancer/Saber team up was also pretty ok even though most of it was Saber cutting 3D tentacle monsters . Nice music too.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 23:07   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was an extremely enjoyable episode for me.

Here were the main positives:

1) After all the build-up the Masters received in Episode 1, it was really refreshingly rewarding to at last see a Master vs. Master fight, and a very well-executed one at that. Loved the directorial skill showcased during Kiritsugu vs. Kayneath. Some specific shots had terrific theatrical touches to them (particularly how Kayneath was posed in some shots).

2) Saber and Lancer make great "cool" protagonists. Caster makes a good darkly demented delusional antagonist. Kayneath makes a splendid smug antagonist with an air of grandeur. This added a lot to the emotional intensity and emotional investment for both of the major conflicts in this episode.

3) Episode 7 added some real color and dynamism, and from characters not named Rider and Waver (although their own scene had some streaks of charming comedic color as well).

4) As I just wrote, the Rider and Waver scene was colorful. Once more I have to say that these two are simply comedy gold in almost every scene that they're in. Alexander the Great using the Shopping Channel. And ordering a shirt with a world map on it to show that he's a great conqueror. This anime has made an excellent running gag out of the cute and hilarious ways that Rider keeps adapting to 1990s Earth. I have to tip my hat to Gen. I never knew he could do comedy so well! As for Waver, I like how he showed some strength in this episode, and is starting to act a bit more like a true Master.

5) Personally, I'm glad that one of the icemen of this show is starting to overtly display some inner conflict. While that perhaps could have been built up to a little bit better, I'm honestly relieved that Kiritsugu is being humanized more, imo.

6) Yuji Kajura finally showed in this episode the same sort of superb skill that helped make the Kara no Kyokai movies so critically acclaimed. Speaking of Kara no Kyokai, this episode reminded me a lot of that. ufotable should be commended for treating this anime TV series with the same care that it treated animated theatrical releases.

And I think that sums up the elements of this episode I really liked. I only have two slight critiques.

1. It's no wonder that Gilgamesh finds Tokiomi Tohsaka so boring. Does the guy do anything other than just sit in the exact same position in that basement den of his all the time? I love how those three candles always burn so consistently to, lol. Here is the one area where it's painfully obvious that ufotable is cutting corners. It's Ok given how great the animation in most of the rest of the scenes is, but it is honestly becoming funny to me how Tohsaka keeps being the character to bear the brunt of animation cuts. No wonder his daughter is so tsundere after the treatment her dad receives.

2. Not fond of Kiritsugu totally blowing off Saber. I know he wants to keep a tight leash on her more instinctively heroic qualities, but I don't see how giving her the total silent treatment helps his cause there.

Anyway, 9/10 overall for my most enjoyable anime watch of the week. Can't wait until next week's episode!
Old 2011-11-12, 23:19   Link #47
LawfulNuetral
Probatio Diabolica

Great episode! I love casters...um...starfish horde! I'd like less censoring but they couldn't very well show it the way its portrayed in the novel or nobody would get any sleep
LawfulNuetral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 00:23   Link #48
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was awesome. It did jump around a tad, but what it jumps to easily makes it worth it.

I had a little laugh with Caster still insisting that Saber is Joan of Arc since I was like that when I played Fate. King Arthur being a girl was like whoa. But leave it to Nasu to change history, and the dictionary too, for his use.

Speaking of Caster, hurting those little kids... he needs a quick death. I am glad the gore from that was left out. Little kids... that's just... it's horrible! Horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The novel was a lot more descriptive about Kayneth and Kiritsugu's magic, as well as the mind games they played. Being in-depth and consistent about the rules and workings of magecraft is a staple in this and the related type-moon works.

But it's not like that is necessary for the story. For an anime, I actually prefer things more fast-paced like this.
The thing is, if we were to explain everything that was in the novel, it'd get boring. You read faster than you speak, so explaining things are quite different in a book. But I don't think they need to explain the magecraft since it's magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And once again Alexander steals the show, simply showing off the fact that he doesn't give a shit and will accept deliveries. Poor Waver can't hold his position as a master.
Rider is a riot, every time. I hope he and Waver learn to get along better. I mean, what's the big deal about buying the guy pants, lol.
Quote:
I would rate this episode higher, but the abrupt ending to the episode really hurts. 8/10 for a strong showing.
The ending was an excellent cliffhanger. You gotta appreciate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
6) Yuji Kajura finally showed in this episode the same sort of superb skill that helped make the Kara no Kyokai movies so critically acclaimed. Speaking of Kara no Kyokai, this episode reminded me a lot of that. ufotable should be commended for treating this anime TV series with the same care that it treated animated theatrical releases.
The music definitely was turned up in this episode. Good stuff here.

Quote:
2. Not fond of Kiritsugu totally blowing off Saber. I know he wants to keep a tight leash on her more instinctively heroic qualities, but I don't see how giving her the total silent treatment helps his cause there.
I think he keeps her at a distance so that he can keep himself in check too. He might have more conflict with sending Saber out to fight if he gets too close to her. He's already unhappy with putting Iri in danger.

And add another to the harem and the temptation of running away might just win.
Old 2011-11-13, 01:01   Link #49
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i actually thought the art was poorer than previous eps in this one. this episode went by too quick. do i really need to wait another week to see what happens next?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:02   Link #50
hero147

Music sounded exactly from Kara no Kyoukai..LOL
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:02   Link #51
Zefris

I thought Saber's behavior was a bit contradicting this episode. She showed too much emotion for kids being hostage in an encounter. You would think that as a King who leads a country, you'll have no choice but to sacrifice them and look at the bigger picture in a war. Also, there was the other point how she was betrayed by her own country because (IIRC) her people saw her as a king "who did not know of human emotions".

It'd probably be more convincing if Saber showed discontent, but holds them back since its obviously a trap luring her out, and she should be used to seeing the whole picture in order to protect her country.

Anywho, I'd prolly give this a 10/10 if it didn't cut off when things started to get much more interesting. >.<
Zefris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:15   Link #52
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
I think that this is the real Saber. She's able to actually... you know, not be constrained by the kingdom. So helping innocents is just how she is. And yeah, Saber just has... well, a lot of plot riding on her, really. :P So results in her being weak sometimes, strong at others.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:20   Link #53
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
I thought Saber's behavior was a bit contradicting this episode. She showed too much emotion for kids being hostage in an encounter. You would think that as a King who leads a country, you'll have no choice but to sacrifice them and look at the bigger picture in a war. Also, there was the other point how she was betrayed by her own country because (IIRC) her people saw her as a king "who did not know of human emotions".

It'd probably be more convincing if Saber showed discontent, but holds them back since its obviously a trap luring her out, and she should be used to seeing the whole picture in order to protect her country.
Well this is the king that supposedly can't stand seeing his people got hurt in many stories.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2011-11-13 at 06:37.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:25   Link #54
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Lol, will Saber ever get a master that she can agree with ?

Aside from all the usual things that I assume people have brought up, I'm really interested in the three way relationship between Kiritsugu x Maiya x Irisviel.

Also, I don't think Kiritsugu would be the one to kill Kayneth, some how it should be more poetic to have Waver be the one to surpass his teacher.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:33   Link #55
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Aside from all the usual things that I assume people have brought up, I'm really interested in the three way relationship between Kiritsugu x Maiya x Irisviel.
I honestly wouldn't put much stock into that kiss. Maiya was the one who initiated it and Kiritsugu didn't really seem like he was enjoying much at all.

To me it came off as nothing more than Maiya trying to get Kiritsugu to focus on whats important; take his mind off his family.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:50   Link #56
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Great episode. The fight scenes were exciting to watch and well-paced. Kajiura's score seems to be finally coming into bloom - I really like the ones played during Saber's tentacle skirmish and Lancer's arrival.

Other than that, it was also good to see interaction between Kiritsugu, Iri and Saber on the battlefield, and Kiritsugu's cold treatment of Saber emphasizes their estranged Master-Servant relationship. And although Kiritsugu's outburst seemed out of place at first, it finally showed a more human side of him, especially his love for Iri and Illya.

Again, great episode, can't wait for the next one.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:52   Link #57
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

btw no one is mentioning that Kiritsugu is sending his wife away with his mistress?
Old 2011-11-13, 02:17   Link #58
ProfileOF
Dame Ningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
If people started explaining everything, then i would be watching to aru majutsu no index instead of fate.
Hmm... in the LN the magic and Kayneth's specialty are detailed described and that is one of the point attracting me.
For fate series or to say for Nasuverse I think the most important thing is regulation or rule. Which is prior than which, how is a magecraft been operated, everything needs a well explained reason. Though Nasu himself is somehow confused.
To aru Majitsu? I don't think it is the anime/novel of the same level.
Don't you know its ironic nickname "universal masterpiece"?
ProfileOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 02:34   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well this situation has gotten more tense. No surprise how angry Saber is with Caster right now. All those lives destroyed due to his delusions about her identity. Couldn't even save that last kid from his fate. Time to team up with Lancer and put that lunatic into the grave. Then fight and defeat Lancer so Saber can use her other arm.

Definite strain in the master/servant relationship. Really does hit home how human Kiritsugu is when sensing his worry about Kirei locking his attention onto him.

Can see Rider jumping into things so he can finally get some pants .
Old 2011-11-13, 02:35   Link #60
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The censoring... It's at the level where you don't even know what is going on...
Ugh... Sad that everything else is good, and yet this part just ruins the atmosphere...

Everything good, except the beginning.
"Oh look, something that looks like Mercury!"
(^p^) *touches it*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote