AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-01, 12:48   Link #21
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Episode 9 of SAO:
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 12:56   Link #22
Karakuri

This was the best episode so far imo.
Great scenes, epic fight for about 5 minutes.
10/10
I expect the next episode to be even better, let's see how it goes, this is getting better and better!
Also, I'm so glad I can understand a bit of basic Japanese, this way I don't need to wait so long, wooohoo
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 13:10   Link #23
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Image:

That stare of her... how can i ever reject a girl with face like that, even if she carries a rapier with her...
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 13:52   Link #24
tsunade666

there should be a score that is worth 9000+

the battle scene with the gleams eye and two sword skill. I can watch it again and again and I even forget the minor or maybe major complaints of mine in the past early episode and some crappy animation.

That battle itself is worth over 9000
Old 2012-09-01, 14:24   Link #25
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Color me absolutely not surprised by this episode: I was actually wondering why Kirito put more emphasis on "same sword" for Dark Repulser, but dismissed that he would dual wield, considering it didn't seem to be a trump card (I guess the studio goofed up, since a thug in Episode 4 was dual wielding axes, and Kirito insisted that "dual wielding" (not specifically swords) is unique).
At least, quite satisfied that the anti crystal field possibility was proved to be true as I expected, so other means to trap players is absolutely not out of question now. In fact, It would be even more nerve wrecking if more mechanics are in play with further boss (floor trap, paralizing fields etc) than just trapped boss room.

Anyway, they did a good job in building the tension and all, but again, not trying to nitpick too much, but the design and animations weren't that consistent: past the flurry of attacks being quite flashy, Kirito often got shafted in design (even Klein in fact), with a lot of static shots etc.

That said, the current episodes definitely make up for the slow 2-7 portions.
Old 2012-09-01, 14:37   Link #26
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
(I guess the studio goofed up, since a thug in Episode 4 was dual wielding axes, and Kirito insisted that "dual wielding" (not specifically swords) is unique).
Yeah, we discussed that heavily in the spoiler thread at the time. The general conclusion was that the animators goofed up -- the axes weren't even drawn consistently, and there was another axe-wielder in the scene who had a shield equipped in his other hand.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 14:40   Link #27
styr

Quote:
(I guess the studio goofed up, since a thug in Episode 4 was dual wielding axes, and Kirito insisted that "dual wielding" (not specifically swords) is unique).
Yup, I totally remember that scene when one of Rosalia's goons was dual wielding axes. The animation of both weapons also shifted from frame to frame from a pickaxe and then to a normal axe shape so it is more than likely a studio snafu. Although the sword skill the dual axe user used before charging Kirito made both weapons glow, so it's hard to say.

One idea, due to how Kirito's skill is phrased 'dual blades', it may be referring to only dual wielding swords (blades). Perhaps dual wielding hammers or axes isn't a unique skill but is a rare skill like Klein's katana. Of course this is simply a guess of mine, but it is probably a studio mistake having that dual wielding axe user in Ep 4.

Another quest popped up in my mind as I was typing this out... If you learn the 'hand-to-hand' combat skill and use it in battle by itself, are you automatically dual wielding or are you limited to using only one fist?

I'm still waiting on CR, hope it doesn't take too long...
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 14:40   Link #28
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Color me absolutely not surprised by this episode: I was actually wondering why Kirito put more emphasis on "same sword" for Dark Repulser, but dismissed that he would dual wield, considering it didn't seem to be a trump card (I guess the studio goofed up, since a thug in Episode 4 was dual wielding axes, and Kirito insisted that "dual wielding" (not specifically swords) is unique).
I'm pretty sure he said "same sword, or better". I don't remember him placing emphasis on either "same" or "better", but I'd have to re-watch the episode to confirm that. For what it's worth in the light novels he said: "How about a sword with a similar or better quality than this one".

As for whether or not that was a goof up.. it's hard to say for sure. It's possible to dual wield, but the sword skills aren't meant to work as they should unless the person trying to use them has the required skill (Dual Wield in this case). That thug seemed to swing at Kirito one axe at a time, too. Of course, he could just have the unique skill required for dual wielding axes, but I really doubt that was the case. As Utsuro no Hako pointed out, most of us (myself included) agreed that the animators screwed up.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 14:45   Link #29
Clarste
Human

The Japanese word used literally means "Two Sword Style", for what's it's worth. I think it was just an animation flub though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 14:47   Link #30
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes, he asked the same or better. It is just that, you would expect him to ask simply "better" in term of upgrade, so that means he had some specific plan for it. But since Kirito didn't use it right away, and because of that thug casually wielding 2 axes, I didn't consider dual blade being anything special because of the latter case, hence the conclusion Dark Repulser was a mere "back up".

But really, if dual wielding could be possible without using both weapons at the same time, you would expect more people trying for style etc (since Asuna says some people do use a single sword for style). So dual axe sounds more like a giant blooper.
Old 2012-09-01, 14:49   Link #31
Rakshasa

So that's why he needed a second sword, lol.

Fuck the system Kirito, fuck the bastards.
Old 2012-09-01, 14:52   Link #32
Deltaray

Surprised to actually see Lizbeth in this episode, for those who havent read novels she wasnt there.

Was hard as hell to find raw this week early so I had to sit and watch some shitty quality one but the Starburst stream still looked pretty dam nice, and yeah we are lucky, next week is another high quality battle/action scene.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 15:04   Link #33
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Was hard as hell to find raw this week early so I had to sit and watch some shitty quality one but the Starburst stream still looked pretty dam nice, and yeah we are lucky, next week is another high quality battle/action scene.
That's why I love my PS3 plus digital tuner, getting that anime goodness as it is broadcast.
Old 2012-09-01, 15:08   Link #34
Kazu-kun

Lol, even though people were dying left and right, Kirito wasn't really going to join the fight. It was only when Asuna jumped in that he decided to go too.

I'm not judging him. I wouldn't want to risk my life that way either, specially for people I don't know. But this only makes Asuna's actions all the more more heroic. She doesn't have any super unique skill to back her up, but she still couldn't stay there watching them die without doing anything.

So props to Asuna, she's the real hero here.
Old 2012-09-01, 15:09   Link #35
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

I just have to wait the few extra hours more than all of you to watch xD
Old 2012-09-01, 15:26   Link #36
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Yes, he asked the same or better. It is just that, you would expect him to ask simply "better" in term of upgrade, so that means he had some specific plan for it. But since Kirito didn't use it right away, and because of that thug casually wielding 2 axes, I didn't consider dual blade being anything special because of the latter case, hence the conclusion Dark Repulser was a mere "back up".
As someone who has played many MMOs, I disagree. As long as it's possible to somehow enchant or upgrade the Dark Repulser, it made sense for him to ask for a weapon that's the same or as good as his current weapon. We don't know whether the Elucidator was upgraded or not, or maybe it cannot even be upgraded due to how there's no + next to its name, unlike the +0 beside the Dark Repulser's name. So if the Dark Repulser has stats that are similar to those of Kirito's main weapon while it's in its un-upgraded state (it gives more STR than the Elucidator, weighs less than it, but the attack range seems to be lower), and if it's possible to upgrade it, then it is, in fact, better than his current sword.

Quote:
But really, if dual wielding could be possible without using both weapons at the same time, you would expect more people trying for style etc (since Asuna says some people do use a single sword for style). So dual axe sounds more like a giant blooper.
I'm not sure about that. In the end, it all comes down to style vs efficiency. And in a death game, I'd imagine the latter seems much more enticing than the former. Not to mention that we haven't seen enough players to say whether people are trying it out for style or not. Some people could've tried it against weaker monsters in the game only to find that it wasn't the trouble, as it didn't give them any sort of upper-hand.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 15:28   Link #37
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Lol, even though people were dying left and right, Kirito wasn't really going to join the fight. It was only when Asuna jumped in that he decided to go too.

I'm not judging him. I wouldn't want to risk my life that way either, specially for people I don't know. But this only makes Asuna's actions all the more more heroic. She doesn't have any super unique skill to back her up, but she still couldn't stay there watching them die without doing anything.

So props to Asuna, she's the real hero here.
Yes...

But do keep in mind that Kirito took upon himself the burden of being the 'beater', so if he showed any advantage at this late stage it would be a certain death by the hands of the frontliners.

In any case, it seem that Asuna and Kirito have a bunch of new loyal followers~~~
Old 2012-09-01, 15:35   Link #38
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
But do keep in mind that Kirito took upon himself the burden of being the 'beater', so if he showed any advantage at this late stage it would be a certain death by the hands of the frontliners.
But he wasn't thinking about any of that at that moment. He just stood there watching. Besides, even with his unique skill, joining the fight was a real risk anyway, a risk he wasn't willing to take (for people he doesn't know at the very least).
Old 2012-09-01, 15:43   Link #39
konart

Loved the music, but the battle itself was pretty meh... I was waiting for something far more epic
Old 2012-09-01, 15:53   Link #40
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
As someone who has played many MMOs, I disagree. As long as it's possible to somehow enchant or upgrade the Dark Repulser, it made sense for him to ask for a weapon that's the same or as good as his current weapon. We don't know whether the Elucidator was upgraded or not, or maybe it cannot even be upgraded due to how there's no + next to its name, unlike the +0 beside the Dark Repulser's name. So if the Dark Repulser has stats that are similar to those of Kirito's main weapon while it's in its un-upgraded state (it gives more STR than the Elucidator, weighs less than it, but the attack range seems to be lower), and if it's possible to upgrade it, then it is, in fact, better than his current sword.
As someone who plays MMO as well, it just doesn't make sense to me to just make a weapon but not using it on the get go to benefit its bonus whatsoever. Surely Dark Repulser is actually better than Elucidator on the long run, but he just didn't push forward and upgrade it right away, despite the hardship he and liz went through to forge that weapon.
To me, in MMORPG perspective, making rare items without an immediate need or without any selling perspective in mind just doesn't make sense, as if you stash it away, you could potentially kept the original material for another better weapon or armor then. (save exceptions such like announced patch with new weapon requiring an old one, so crafting it would prevent you to spend an awful amount upon patch release, as people would rush on the materials like headless chickens).

To me, for someone like Kirito who aims for the most pragmatic and efficient way to go through the game, stashing away a "better" weapon without making it to that point didn't make much sense. And even more so in a death game, where you would rather expand every ressource you got to increase your survival, instead of keeping disposable items/money.
In fact, Dark Respulser is -not- better than Elucidator right now. "Possibly better than Elucidator" =/= "better now", since long term doesn't mean much in MMO, especially in a death game where any wrong calculation can cost you dearly. You don't want to have a better weapon ready later, you want it -right now-.
This is why his request for "similar" weapon was kinda off, aside of a "simple" back up.
Quote:
I'm not sure about that. In the end, it all comes down to style vs efficiency. And in a death game, I'd imagine the latter seems much more enticing than the former. Not to mention that we haven't seen enough players to say whether people are trying it out for style or not. Some people could've tried it against weaker monsters in the game only to find that it wasn't the trouble, as it didn't give them any sort of upper-hand.
I know that, but Asuna herself mentions that even in SAO, some people wield 1 sword for style, despite she is a vice commander of the best guild, so she wouldn't goof around that much in lower levels, as the guild seems pretty strict, to the point Asuna -needs- to ask days off at times.
So she prolly saw mid/high level players going around with 1 sword for the hell of it.