ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:18   Link #62
Midonin
Last Engage

Quite mature.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:18   Link #63
ZODDGUTS

No need to take it so seriously. Still moe dance?... sigh. Hopefully this series will be above that.
Old 2009-12-09, 23:28   Link #64
Midonin
Last Engage

If the word had just been "dance", would the result have been so virulent? Best not to have a hair trigger nature in these matters, especially on one that isn't even properly defined.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:52   Link #65
ZODDGUTS

Anyways moving away from this drama. It's a shame they wasted hiring Mel Kishida doing Original Character Designs only to have he's designs changed.

Old 2009-12-10, 08:49   Link #66
Raiga
tl;dr

Eh, I think she looks similar enough. I mean, you're never going to get illustrator quality in anime; the animators simply have to draw these characters far too many times for it to be practical. It's a lovely picture and it'd be great if the show could look like that, but... :\
Old 2009-12-10, 09:45   Link #67
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
If the word had just been "dance", would the result have been so virulent? Best not to have a hair trigger nature in these matters, especially on one that isn't even properly defined.
how about macho dance then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rs-9D-xJ_g
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 10:00   Link #68
OkamiNoKaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Did somebody just say moe dance?

Spoiler for moe lovers...:
What series is that clip from?
Old 2009-12-10, 10:19   Link #69
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
What series is that clip from?
Canaan & the lady who does the roud-house kick to Maria is Liang Qi
& her moe-ness had already killed so many people

btw, OFF-TOPIC!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 11:28   Link #70
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I do like what that game artist drew, but what his style does on a computer screen or on paper can't be done on the anime format. If this series is using some moe as one fo the reasons to watch it and to help it be a profitable venture, then so be it. Japan is still in the throes of a recession and something that will have a return for those making it is a must. How about we give it the benefit of the doubt and see how it turns out? As for the designs, Kannagi yes because of the character artist, K-ON no. Those comments keep me from even trying K-ON. Why does everything that is now made have to be measured against it? That style of drawing was around several years before K-ON was made. Just because those KyoAni trolls started drawing Haruhi episodes in the K-ON style isn't a good enough reason to start the frenzy. There's a very good composer involved, a decent scripwriter and a decent director. This is the one new series in the January season I have my eyes on.
Old 2009-12-11, 02:34   Link #71
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I have a feeling this series will be quite serious story for some reason. The director is from Elfen Lied and the synopsis did not sound too cheerful to me.
Old 2009-12-11, 12:58   Link #72
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I have a feeling this series will be quite serious story for some reason. The director is from Elfen Lied and the synopsis did not sound too cheerful to me.
I agree. If you look at the 2 min vid, it's sombre music, scenes of rubble, the lead female solemly clutching her instrument.

It's a war series. About a town devoid of people. A sea with no life.

What is interesting me is - did the girls come to the town while it was still prosperous, or in the aftermath?
Old 2009-12-11, 13:41   Link #73
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
It's a war series. About a town devoid of people. A sea with no life.
But there seems to be people in the town the girls are to protect (according to the last trailer). If the country is at war, there is a chance that some towns have been already destroyed and then are now devoid of people.
The place where the main action will take place is some kind of fortress if I don't mistaken, it would make sense that a part of the population found refuge there.

Now, for the serious tone of the serie, I think and hope that will turn to be true. No matter what the chara-design may remind some people of (*cough*K-on*cough*), the setting is perfect for something of a complete other level.
Old 2009-12-13, 10:30   Link #74
Westlo
Lets be reality

This is airing in a new time slot to try and broaden the anime fanbase iirc... I really doubt it's going to be purely aimed at fleecing otaku's for their cash like K-ON was.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 10:47   Link #75
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But that girl was traveling with a bugle and not a rifle. I'm not going to expect Gunslinger Girl either.
Old 2009-12-13, 11:43   Link #76
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
This is airing in a new time slot to try and broaden the anime fanbase iirc... I really doubt it's going to be purely aimed at fleecing otaku's for their cash like K-ON was.
Which is what I said earlier...thank you for pointing that out again.
Old 2009-12-13, 12:39   Link #77
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Really? When's it airing? Everything I've seen still says late-night, 1:30 and 2:30-ish.
Old 2009-12-13, 14:04   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

According to the backgrounders, the "Anime no Chikara" timeslot is meant to give "spirited" creators the opportunity to create anime-original works. It was the Noitamina and Noise timeslots that were intended to expand the audience demographic.

But even though it is late at night, I see almost no fanservice in the promotional material, and comments from staff say that the appeal of this show is grounded in the excellence of the director and writer (Kanbe Mamoru and Yoshino Hiroyuki), and it will be "heartwarming" and "healing."

Director Kanbe Mamoru did Elfen Lied and Denpateki na Kanojo, so you'd expect something with some edge. Writer Yoshino Hiroyuki was lead writer on Mai-HiME and -Otome, Macross Frontier and Denpateki na Kanojo, so you might expect edge, comedy, and a touch of fanservice, as well as the "healing." We'll see. Since this is anime-original, they might produce something quite different from what they've done before.

I'm expecting ARIA done by the staff of Mai-HiME, with a bit more sadness and edge. I believe the girls come to the fortress after the end of war, when the country has already been declining -- in spirit and environmentally -- for a while.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 14:26   Link #79
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
If it doesn't separate otaku from their money like K-On!, then they will lose money.

I'm expecting a post-war Aria.
Old 2009-12-13, 14:53   Link #80
Kunagisa

I'm pretty sure I'm quite late to the bandwagon but I JUST saw the CM, and oh my ... that one beautiful piece of song, I want it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

I'm expecting a post-war Aria.
I'm thinking it's post-war Nausicaa would be a lot more accurate (especially part of the description was " ... Long periods of war has polluted the world, the season are now being blurred. The streets are without their people, the ocean without its inhabitants, the weapons are of the past. Even if it is like this, the sky still shining, ringing in the air is a golden musical tone from a place unknown "), heck how come nobody mentioned the director used to work for the Nausicaa production team =(.

I am pretty sad this is associated with K-ON in anyway (I abhor that series for personal reasons) because this seems to be set on a different standard and caliber. I personally fail to see any resemblance between the two plot wise after reading some description. Either way, this should be a wonderful watch.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life