AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-05, 16:48   Link #1
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Your most memorable final boss fights? - Potential Spoilers -

I'm sure most of us here have beaten a lot of games over the years and we've had to deal with our fair share of average to disappointing final boss fights where once we win we go "That's it? That was boring!" but there's always those occasions where we have awesome final boss fights where not only is the stage,presentation and setting for are dramatic and cool, but the theme that plays as you start also adds to the intensity and gets you pumped up.

This topic is to discuss any Final Boss fight moments that made you go "Wow that was awesome."

I'll start off with the moments I remember at the top of my head.

Zelda 64 for the Nintendo 64: As you gaze at the remains of the castle where your final battle took place, you stand proud of that the fact that You did it you won. You defeated Gannondorf, Saved all the sages,rescued the princess now all that's left is for you to go back to your own time.

But before Zelda can arrange that you hear something shake under the rubble, you leave the Princess to investigate and to your surprise Gannondolf pops out of the rubble looking beat up but not defeated. You stand ready to fight once more but he begins to transform to his Ganon form, traps you and him in a circle of flames separating you from Zelda, and knocks away your master sword making it land right next to Zelda.

You then stand seemingly defenseless before this very large creature as Zelda watches and prays from afar, as your fairy comrade stands prepared to fight by your side saying "He won't block me out, this time we fight together!" you stand ready for the final battle.

Now this was my first final boss fight that I thought was cool, not only did I think the music and setting was appropriate for the situation, I remember I used to play around with him a bit and I remembered how awesome I thought it was that with each hit you take from Ganon you go flying and in the back you can hear Zelda Scream in terror with each hit you take.

My Second one was Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation 1: It's down to you and Liquid high up on top of the now disabled Metal Gear, he's armed a bomb set to blow in 10 minutes next to the body of the girl you were meant to rescue, to make matters worse the place is scheduled to be bombed soon so you're even more pressed for time. You have no weapons or rations it's just you and him in a pure hand to hand combat battle that you must win within 10 minutes or it's game over.

Right when Liquid says "Have at you Snake!" And Snake instantly puts up his fists and the music kicked in that's when I knew I was in for a cool fight. At that time I was quite young and still a bit inexperienced with that type of game back then. So Liquid was really doing a number on me for the first 4 minutes but once I figured out his pattern I started to whip on him a bit, but once he was almost beaten he started to get harder and the clock was down to 2 minutes left.

I started to panic and became more aggressive and his life bar was almost completely drained but at that point I only at 40 seconds left, plus he was trying to back away from me, and Liquids mocking statement "You're out of time!" was starting to annoy me, but by some miracle I managed to punch him off the edge with 12 seconds left on the clock.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment

Last edited by DingoEnderZOE2; 2009-03-05 at 17:00.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 16:54   Link #2
jedinat

The final Bowser fight in Mario 64.
I was young and not very coordinated at the time. I remember being elated when I finally brought the bastard down, yelling to my brother "I did it! I finally beat him!!"

Ocarina of Time was quite an epic win as well. N64 was the golden years of gaming, for me at least.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 18:54   Link #3
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Not necessarily memorable in a good way but definitely the Patriarch at the end of Xenosaga Ep II. One of the few non-optional boss fights in an rpg that I consider really hard and can honestly say I struggled with. Fight starts simple enough but he gains more and more abilities as his hp goes down. By the end of the fight, he has multiple attacks that can wipe out your entire party from full hp in 2-3 hits, 2 separate turns (one for himself and one for the Omega machine in the background), and the capability to boost himself to extra turns, meaning it's easily possible for him to totally wipe out your party before you can even get another turn to heal. Was also a pretty long fight, between 20 and 30 min, as he had at least double the hp of the previous boss. And dying because of unlucky turn placement or boosts from him 20 minutes in made it extremely frustrating to have to try again.

Pretty much all the possible final bosses from Drakengard too, just because of how twisted that game was. 100-foot tall little girl with deep male voice is uh, interesting.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 21:12   Link #4
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wow the patriarch of Xenosaga II! Indeed that was a challenge, i had to try it several times before i was able to win. The problem with that boss is that at low hp it becomes practically invincible, so you need to remove the right amount of HP at first and then finish him off with the longest and stronger combo you can pull off. I'd say it was a great fight if i didn't hate that kind of battle system ^^;

A memorable boss fight... i'll say MGS3 storywise and UT for the challenge. Xan is practically a perfect being his quotes are memorable ("i'm the alfa and the omega" "run human" "you are obsolete"), it takes a lot of skill and determination to beat him but in the end it's really rewarding.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 15:05   Link #5
Nosauz

Marvel Vs Capcom, final boss. Jesus I remember spending sooooooo many damn quaters on that game, I mean seriously getting raped out the ass, and pretty much wasting a weeks allowance on boss, when instead I could just whooped some ass on bubble trouble.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 16:46   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

There were quite a few:

Digital Devil Saga - Avatar Tuner: I encountered the octopus-like brain demon, Omoikane twice and the result was the same. My attacks either miss or does 1 damage, regardless of the skill or power of it. Almighty attacks were also doing 1 damage. The battles start off with Omoikane casting Debilitate 2-3 times not letting me getting the first attack.

Final Fantasy X-2: In the Den of Woes, on my second playthrough.. I finally had the chance to fight him but he turned out as weak.. I started a second playthrough out of my curiousity in regards to the Crimson Squad sidestory and it turned out that it was all Shuyin's doings. Shuyin's sword looks much like Tidus's, not mentioning that his fighting style along with his sword skills were exactly the same, if not very similar to Tidus's. He even looks like Tidus, except that Shuyin is Japanese and Tidus appears to be Caucasian. Another difference is that Shuyin can't do the Blitzball attacks, since he wasn't a Blitzball player. Personally, I found Blitzball to bear close resemblances to American football. Perhaps, Tidus was the Aeon's dream character of Shuyin but that doesn't makes any sense, since Yuna who has no relations to Lenne yet appears like her is not a resident of Dream Zanarkand which means Tidus and Shuyin had no relations.

Persona 3 FES - The Journey: The battle against Elizabeth was the toughest of all, I tried at least 5 times but it was all futile. She either took me out in one hit or continuous Megidolaons. Strangely was that my stats were 99 for all of them because I had spent lots of time at the restaurants and the game store in a few playthroughs for several personas. I had an Orpheus with the initial skill set along with 99 stats for everything, then I fused it with other personas and kept on fusing until most of my personas in my compendium, at least all the good ones had close to 99 stats. On top of that, I also brought along a Lucifer's Blade and a Tome of the Void along with a quite durable armor yet none of my battles lasted more than a minute against Elizabeth even though I can solo Nyx Avatar and the Monad Block (did multiple critical slashes against the Eternal Sands which gave tons of experience points). I can't believe..

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra: Near the end, something surprising occurred. Uzuki Shion switched to side with the Red Testament and the battle began. Sadly, the Red Testament regardless of how he appeared and the powers he possessed, considering that he took out the OMEGA SYSTEM (Xenosaga Episode II) in one hit yet he is actually very weak along with Shion. The epic battle lasted under 30 seconds. *facepalm*
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 17:49   Link #7
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra:
Spoiler for Tagging this because it's a really huge spoiler and I feel bad leaving it as is:
Spoiler:
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 17:57   Link #8
Hareoic
There will be burgers

The last boss of Drill Dozer. Only because it was so anti-climactic.
Old 2009-03-07, 17:12   Link #9
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The final boss fight in Tales of the Abyss is so goddamn epic, as is the secret third form of the final boss in Tales of Vesperia. "Radiant Winged One" indeed.

And then there's goddamned Nyx Avatar, which is without a doubt the longest final boss fight I've ever fought...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 18:51   Link #10
Kyogen
The False One

[QUOTE=Shadow Minato;2256326]There were quite a few:

Final Fantasy X-2: In the Den of Woes, on my second playthrough.. I finally had the chance to fight him but he turned out as weak.. I started a second playthrough out of my curiousity in regards to the Crimson Squad sidestory and it turned out that it was all Shuyin's doings. Shuyin's sword looks much like Tidus's, not mentioning that his fighting style along with his sword skills were exactly the same, if not very similar to Tidus's. He even looks like Tidus, except that Shuyin is Japanese and Tidus appears to be Caucasian. Another difference is that Shuyin can't do the Blitzball attacks, since he wasn't a Blitzball player. Personally, I found Blitzball to bear close resemblances to American football. Perhaps, Tidus was the Aeon's dream character of Shuyin but that doesn't makes any sense, since Yuna who has no relations to Lenne yet appears like her is not a resident of Dream Zanarkand which means Tidus and Shuyin had no relations.

But Shuyin does use a blitzball in one of his attacks.

Anyway, as far as epic boss fights go. the final colossus in in Shadow of the Colossus was good. Just reaching It's weak spots was a challenge in and of itself.
Kyogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 02:08   Link #11
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
Pokemon Red Version... battling your rival after going through the Elite 4
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 03:14   Link #12
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
The Mi-24 from Rainbow Six: Vegas 2...

A shooter versus an attack helicopter...What the fuck? How the hell does that happen?

Gabriel, you dipshit...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 03:19   Link #13
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Metal Gear Solid 4. The punch out battle between Snake and Liquid Ocelot is epic. What's more when the Snake Eater theme song plays...that even made it more dramatic kinda like James Bond-type thing.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 10:09   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Devil May cry 1: Dante VS Mundus, the game just totally changes style and turns overkill from all aspects, you can't forget these kinds of things.
Koudelka: the fight against the gargoyle was quite memorable, had to use buffs for like, 20 minutes while being very careful not to die, and even totally buffed, the fight took around an hour...but it was definitely worth it, Sacnoth owned.
Zone of the enders:the second runner: Naked Jehuty VS Anubis, I fought this battle many many MANY times over until I finally managed to win, the AI was near-perfect, the music was captivating and the stage was just awesome.Any fight with the final boss getting regen is usually worth it.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 12:28   Link #15
Code Geass
Princess of Geass

Xenosaga EPISODEs 1-3: Final Bosses- Those games are some of the best games I ever played, and I really got into the final bosses (even Albedo in EPISODE II, which was really annoying at times, even though that wasn't really a final boss ).
Code Geass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 16:19   Link #16
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Breath of Fire 5. It was friggin epic to say the least. After all the fighting against the regents, the final boss was kind of a surprise(kind of because some small scenes announced it) and it was a joy.

I think Solidus of MGS2 was good too. Not that difficulty, but it was epic in his own kind of way, and got one of the best songs in a boss fight that i ever saw. It's the best final boss of the MGS series, imho.

Pokemon Gold: Fighting Ash. 'Nuff said.

FF7: Well, it's Sephiroth after all.

ZOE 2: OMG. Jehuty vs Anubis is awesome. After all those warm up videos that shows Anubis is the greatest mecha ever made, you having to take it down its just insane. Loved every moment.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 18:46   Link #17
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Amuro vs Char and Char vs Amuro in their story mode for Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 in the Char's Counterattack story.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 19:55   Link #18
plmko

After playing Yakuza 2 (Ryu ga Gotoku 2) and experiencing MGS4 ending, I'd have to say Yakuza 2 is better, because it came out earlier and is pretty much the same thing. (Kojima may have even copied it :P)

Its that or Metroid prime on the GC, experiencing the last boss at the time it came out was truly mind blowing. Never had I seen a game that replicated organic enemies so well. Games before that always looked crappy and their motion wasn't very fluid.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:25   Link #19
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Contra - Probably my first real boss fight so of course it holds special meaning to me. Was quite the challenge for me back in the day and when I won I felt so accomplished.

Final Fantasy X - Pretty much all the boss fights in the game had this mood to them that really got me into the fight. I always like the battle with sin on the boat where you must attack its fins on each side.

Zelda Twilight Princess - That last battle was quite epic. I loved all the different stages of the fight from fighting a possesed Zelda, A monster form of Ganondorf, and the horse back fight. It was even better once I accidently discovered the Fihsing rod trick.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 - Quite a few good ones in here. I love the fight in official mode between Judau and Pyscho Gundam. Other good ones are the Char vs Amuro battle and Turn A vs Turn X fight.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 - I had to beat hard mode with Maxter gundam (who was one of the worst characters for this situation) and face off against the final boss Dark Gundam. It took probably around 3 hours before victory was mine. It was truly one of the most tedious, frustrating, emotional, on the edge of your seat boss fights I've ever had.

Guilty Gear Accent Core - On hard mode taking on I-no I played as my favorite character May and boy was it one heck of a fight.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - That final fight is epic. One of the best straight up boss fights I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The music fit so well with the fight as well which just added to the experience.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:35   Link #20
Shadow Kira01

A few new ones..

Persona 4: The battle with Adachi wasn't supposed to be memorable but after losing multiple times to Ameno-sagiri, it has become one of the toughest battles in RPGs. I was pretty surprised that Adachi had the red Izanagi which I had seen on this site way before I even got the game; it's Magatsu Izanagi. However, its skill set is lame.. Ameno-sagiri has only one special attack, the annoying laser beam. It took me more than 3 weeks since I had the first battle with Adachi and lost to finally defeat them with slight changes to my persona roster. I was going to get Yoshitsune with Hassou-tobi to ensure his defeat yet I managed it without doing so.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote