Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-12, 23:52   Link #201
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I had never seen either Onegai Teacher or Twins mostly because the premise of Onegai Teacher made me uncomfortable. But based on what others have said, perhaps they should rename AnoNatsu(?) or AnoMatte(?) as "Onegai Sensei".
Dude, it should be "Sempai" and not "Sensei", given that the show has nothing to do with a teacher... :P AND I just found out that saying "Onegai Sensei" is actually wrong: even in Kanji(or whatever), the way to pronounce the title is actually "Onegai Ticha".

And based on your post, I really don't think that the show will be anything but original. If this show is really a rehash of the plot Onegai Ticha thrived in the character development will be a mite slow.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:16   Link #202
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Dude, it should be "Sempai" and not "Sensei", given that the show has nothing to do with a teacher... :P AND I just found out that saying "Onegai Sensei" is actually wrong: even in Kanji(or whatever), the way to pronounce the title is actually "Onegai Ticha".

And based on your post, I really don't think that the show will be anything but original. If this show is really a rehash of the plot Onegai Ticha thrived in the character development will be a mite slow.
Oops..you're right. I meant to write "Senpai". I'll have to correct that typo. I guess I was just annoyed that I was expecting a nice slice-of-life story with characters I'd like and I got a mix of sci-fi and romantic comedy that just felt a bit flat.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:19   Link #203
Xaturas

Quote:
Oops..you're right. I meant to write "Senpai". I'll have to correct that typo. I guess I was just annoyed that I was expecting a nice slice-of-life story with characters I'd like and I got a mix of sci-fi and romantic comedy that just felt a bit flat.
For some of us its on the contrary.
We got tired of countless of slice of life romance animes which only differs from itself by character names, and a slightly different chara design.

Even though Ano Natsu is so much similar to Onegai Sensei it still feels fresh. Maybe thats because its been already few years since I watched OS.

Btw I wonder if she and the little alien will also eat tons of Pocky.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:25   Link #204
kujoe
from head to heel

Reading the comments here, this series already piques my interest... Count me in as another Onegai geezer.

So with this being made similarly as the previous Onegai series, can we expect a cameo from the old cast some time later? That would certainly help us ascertain where this series fits in—whether it's a prequel/sequel/parallel/whatever or just a nostalgic retelling of the same old story.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:39   Link #205
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Maybe there's a reason why this series wasn't named Onegai Senpai in the first place I keep thinking about the title, ja, which basically is "Waiting in the summer", I then wonder what that could mean to how our characters will interact with each other instead of 2 people's interactions. For example when I think back to Onegai Teacher, I like how Mizuho had a reason for crashing down to earth, how she lived there, the decision she ultimately made in the end.

For this series I wonder why did Young Mizuho crash down to earth? What could her reason be, what would it mean for her interactions with the rest of the cast. I for one do not recall how she intergalactically transferred into the school, if it was even mentioned at all, so for me, I'll be Waiting during This Winter to see how Waiting in the Summer works out for the series

Quote:
For me, this episode fell flat because none of the characters stood out and none of them felt like people I wanted to watch. There was the stock "hormonal best friend guy" and the stock tsundere in the same class and the stock shy girl with huge breasts and the protagonist was the stock "center of audience wish fulfillment". And the red haired glasses girl who is really an alien just bored me.

I admit that I laughed when the protagonist's head wound up in the red-headed girl's breasts as the sister and the tsundere girl walked in on them. But I have seen such situations many times and it just felt like a pandering attempt at "wish fulfillment".

I give the first episode a 4/10 and I really hope that I can feel something for the characters soon, because this series is by far the weakest of the four that I have seen so far this season. (The other three being The Knight in the Area, Moretsu Pirates, and Another).
I think you should have ended your post with this part:
Quote:
I had never seen either Onegai Teacher or Twins mostly because the premise of Onegai Teacher made me uncomfortable.
That could be the reason why none of this first episode clicked with you. I should also point out a few things why it's best to give yourself an antidote from time to time after the poisonous cliches over the years:

-I think you unfairly titled the best friend as "hormonal". The way I see it, the appropriate title should be "the sweet talker friend", because he is not hormonal like the Highschool DxD guys, instead he really knows how to get his words across, evident in the scenes such as the teacher scene as well as when he parted ways with "Stock tsundere". He did work that whole thing out, after all.

-I also think "Stock tsundere" is a little unfair to her, sure she's a tsundere, there's a lot of them out there but you know, in the one part where she displayed a violent nature, she did that cute thing girls always do, keep lightly pounding on the guy when the "stock" tsundere would have drilled his head into the wall. She seems well behaved for the part, which of course sticks out from most of the tsundere's out there, so I view her as a welcome sight instead of a collective "sigh".

-"Stock shy girl with big ones" may also seem like a rather inappropriate title for her. She has her craftiness, as evident by her flip-out of her personal mirror, so I'm going to be Waiting in the Winter to see what else she'd surprise me with

-I'm wondering what "center of audience wish fulfillment" means, he's just a fellow with a camera that he somewhat likes to wield quite often

-And finally, "red haired glasses girl who is really an alien just bored me". Well I think she did a good job, didn't she? She just touched down to earth, and she's obviously trying to hide a lot of things about herself. So of course she's going to appear boring, when a character hides much about themselves from the get-go, instead of being put off by the lack of info surrounding them, I'm more interested in seeing that info unfold as time goes on

And it's just the first episode. I for one anticipate more
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 01:27   Link #206
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Dibs on this one. <3
Old 2012-01-13, 01:30   Link #207
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:

That could be the reason why none of this first episode clicked with you. I should also point out a few things why it's best to give yourself an antidote from time to time after the poisonous cliches over the years:

-I think you unfairly titled the best friend as "hormonal". The way I see it, the appropriate title should be "the sweet talker friend", because he is not hormonal like the Highschool DxD guys, instead he really knows how to get his words across, evident in the scenes such as the teacher scene as well as when he parted ways with "Stock tsundere". He did work that whole thing out, after all.
I was trying to think of the right adjective for the best friend. I was going to write "pervy" because of the measurements bit, but at least he showed some smarts and charm in how he got that info. I'll conceed that "sweet talked friend" is a better description for him. I will give that character credit for being better than those guys in High School DxD, which I don't ever plan on watching.

Quote:
-I also think "Stock tsundere" is a little unfair to her, sure she's a tsundere, there's a lot of them out there but you know, in the one part where she displayed a violent nature, she did that cute thing girls always do, keep lightly pounding on the guy when the "stock" tsundere would have drilled his head into the wall. She seems well behaved for the part, which of course sticks out from most of the tsundere's out there, so I view her as a welcome sight instead of a collective "sigh".
I meant tsundere more in how she denies her obvious to everyone but the protagonist feelings. I do like how she avoids the bad "violent tsundere" cliches that pop up, so we are in agreement there. And depending on where this story goes, I could grow to feel sympathy for her.

Quote:
-"Stock shy girl with big ones" may also seem like a rather inappropriate title for her. She has her craftiness, as evident by her flip-out of her personal mirror, so I'm going to be Waiting in the Winter to see what else she'd surprise me with
Point taken there. I guess I missed that subtle bit and maybe she'll surprise me too.

Quote:
-I'm wondering what "center of audience wish fulfillment" means, he's just a fellow with a camera that he somewhat likes to wield quite often
What I mean is, I guess I saw him as a bland guy with glasses that the audience could mentally fill themselves in his place. The love he has for that old camera is the only distinguishing characteristic that I've seen so far. He doesn't seem to have a particular vision for whatever his film is yet and I just didn't find his daydream fantasies about Ichika that funny, and I will admit I may have been spoiled as far as male protagonists go when I've seen the likes of Kyon and Keima in the last few years and I guess I have come to expect more from male leads these days.

Quote:
-And finally, "red haired glasses girl who is really an alien just bored me". Well I think she did a good job, didn't she? She just touched down to earth, and she's obviously trying to hide a lot of things about herself. So of course she's going to appear boring, when a character hides much about themselves from the get-go, instead of being put off by the lack of info surrounding them, I'm more interested in seeing that info unfold as time goes on

And it's just the first episode. I for one anticipate more
Her overreactions to how odd she acts at parts was a little amusing, and you have a point in where she should gradually let those things be revealed.

I guess that Remon or Lemon(CR has her as Remon) might become my favorite one out of this cast but she hardly had that much screentime so it's hard to say if she'll be a character that I'll like.

I definitely plan on giving this a few more episodes to really get going and then maybe I'll have a better idea of where this is going. I may even find myself enjoying this show as much as the others that I've seen this season. I guess that I will have to see if my patience with this will be rewarded or not.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 02:00   Link #208
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
These are off-limits till further notice

Quote:
I was trying to think of the right adjective for the best friend.
I admit it took me a while before I decided on "Sweet talker", which I eventually based on two factors: he doesn't raise his voice to a higher pitch, and he managed to get his friends going with the new activities with just his words

Quote:
I meant tsundere more in how she denies her obvious to everyone but the protagonist feelings. I do like how she avoids the bad "violent tsundere" cliches that pop up, so we are in agreement there. And depending on where this story goes, I could grow to feel sympathy for her.
Aha, I see. In that case she very well is a "stock" personality, as in with no added annoyances

Quote:
What I mean is, I guess I saw him as a bland guy with glasses that the audience could mentally fill themselves in his place. The love he has for that old camera is the only distinguishing characteristic that I've seen so far. He doesn't seem to have a particular vision for whatever his film is yet and I just didn't find his daydream fantasies about Ichika that funny, and I will admit I may have been spoiled as far as male protagonists go when I've seen the likes of Kyon and Keima in the last few years and I guess I have come to expect more from male leads these days.
I see. That is true, he really came off as someone without a "push" to what he really wanted to do, and it did end up as he couldn't have done it without his best friend. But, we've seen him at his lowest peak, so I'm hoping the series fleshes out his character to grow out of those low peaks and maybe he'll end up really confident and in charge by series end.

Quote:
I guess that Remon or Lemon(CR has her as Remon) might become my favorite one out of this cast but she hardly had that much screentime so it's hard to say if she'll be a character that I'll like.
She hardly had much screen time, but even more so she hardly talked. But, I'm hoping, as the writer of their movie, she should have much more to say as the series goes on (hopefully).

Looking forward to seeing everyone's opinions when ep 02 flies around : )
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 13:21   Link #209
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

This definitely puts me back to nostalgia. Onegai teacher is first anime I bought and watched several times when I was a teenager. So this series brought me a lot of comparison.
Looks like Ano Hana + Onegai. But in terms of comparison, in their roles.
Herikawa= Kanna, will be the third wheel.
Mizuho-sensei=Ichika will be the main love interest/alien/ clumsy but without "Saiusen ji ko yo"
Kaede=Mio will be the shy girl of the group.
Well Tetsuro is not like Hyosuke though will be the "bro"
Kei=Kaito with glasses and all, the main character. But Kaito isn't depressive though.
And yeah, the minocom little Marie = Rinon ..super computer
And my favorite Ichigo "Strawberry" Morino = "Lemon" Yamano.
Love her troll voice and evil laugh.

We'll see if this keeps up to be enjoyable as Onegai for me.
Old 2012-01-13, 16:32   Link #210
nojay
Scanlator

Wondering

I started off thinking this series was set some time back from the present day -- things like Kaito's 8mm movie camera, his sister's retro scooter and the lack of tech present in their (admittedly) older house out in the country. Kaito's room doesn't have a pasocon (PC) on the desk as you tend to see in bedrooms in most modern animes. There was also a distinct lack of keitai (cellphones), now pretty much universal in high-school rom-coms. However I noticed a laptop computer in the staffroom scene so it's probably set in this century and the few cars we see in background shots are pretty modern too so I can't see this as being a prequel to Onegai Twincest sorry Twins, nevermind Ooooh Teacher.

My speculation/guess is that Ichika is Mizuho-sensei's Galactic Patrol replacement who, in a totally unforseeable manner managed to reenact Mizuho's arrival lo these many moons ago to the point of also killing a bystander and having to resurrect them.

Neat trick I only spotted second time around -- Ichika's glasses translating the Japanese text on the back of the shampoo bottle into space-text.
Old 2012-01-13, 16:37   Link #211
Xeilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Neat trick I only spotted second time around -- Ichika's glasses translating the Japanese text on the back of the shampoo bottle into space-text.
if only those exist while i was still taking language courses
Xeilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 19:58   Link #212
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Wow, took them 10 years to give us a remake/reboot of Onegai Teacher, with only Ichika's race and the same town to provide emotional continuity, seeing as the kids we came to love all those years ago have more than likely moved on (the central theme to this franchise) to have families of their own.

Makes you wonder why they used the same franchise stamp if they are not going to give us the original Aliens and Eccentrics we have come to love.

And still hung up about Koishi having Kei essetially snatched away from her by a Deus Ex Machina that literally fell out of the skies just as she had a chance. Now she has to settle for a flying-bike building man old enough to be her father. I for one am holding out to see how SHE turned out if any of the Onegai Cast are coming back.

Yeah, Mizuho is hot and all, but always had a weakness towards decent, good-hearted every-girls.

And the official website is NOT being frank about the remake-connection AT ALL..... There is no link to the Onegai Franchise at all on it.....

Yeah, just like how we are NOT going to notice that Tobey Macguire is now Andrew Garfield in Spider Man in a mere tiny 5 years....
Old 2012-01-13, 20:39   Link #213
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
wow, good catch. I didnt notice that at all, lol
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 21:21   Link #214
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Nice touch having Tamura Yukari play Morino-Ichigo again, 10 years later, with a name change to another fruit.

Same performance, yet somehow less delightfully.
Old 2012-01-13, 21:26   Link #215
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Well, let's give them a chance, I mean,
Spoiler for onegai Teacher:
Looks at date of posting... looks at date of first airing...

Boy did they OWN you!
Old 2012-01-13, 23:10   Link #216
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Wow, took them 10 years to give us a remake/reboot of Onegai Teacher, with only Ichika's race and the same town to provide emotional continuity, seeing as the kids we came to love all those years ago have more than likely moved on (the central theme to this franchise) to have families of their own.
While both series are set in Nagano prefecture, they're not set in the same town. Some of the locations are supposedly from Komoro, while Onegai Teacher/Twins included locations around the vicinity of Lake Kisaki and elsewhere, which is further up north from Komoro. It's not even the same school location, I'm afraid to report.

So many anime titles already include locations from Nagano. I think it would be a pretty awesome prefecture to visit.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 06:03   Link #217
Sumeragi
Banned

Hmmm.... Not sure if I'm going to like this. I'll pass for now.

Also, Nagano is probably selected because it's a relatively rural area which has connections to the major cities like Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, etc. The Winter Olympics sure did upgrade the infrastructure a lot.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 13:55   Link #218
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yay...aliens.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 14:47   Link #219
StBullet
NOPE

I like this show so far. Did not expect aliens at all

StBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 19:13   Link #220
Excorsism

The music reminds me so much of Onegai Teacher. Especially the OP. Music might be the main reason why I follow this show.

Also, strangest character designs ever. Ichika looks infinitely better with the straight hair like during the shower scene.

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen