AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-12, 21:38   Link #121
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
A bit odd that the shinkis get sleepy, but I imagine their non-combat behavior was likely designed to mimic human behavior, so it makes sense.
Think about it for a second, every organic being with a brain needs to sleep. Even fish and birds (which can pull continous 24/7 migrations) sleep while moving, they shut half of their brain, then the other half, reboot and presto. So shinki have inorganic brains, but brains need to enter stand by mode to see what memories are important (copy from RAM to hard disk) and what memories are irrelevant (delete). Otherwise their memory would fill up from the ton of images they go through as they live a day. Besides, sleep is required to really learn, new knowledge substitutes old knowledge (using a sword is NOT a proper form of salute or welcome).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 05:26   Link #122
Lukeman1884

Spoiler for Thoughts on ep 2:
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 07:22   Link #123
KaoruAoiShiho

No mecha because the armor doesn't just suddenly spawn out of nowhere, she needs to grab it from wherever it is.
KaoruAoiShiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 07:44   Link #124
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruAoiShiho View Post
No mecha because the armor doesn't just suddenly spawn out of nowhere, she needs to grab it from wherever it is.
You need to watch the first episode again.

Quote:
1. Well, it seems like blatant fanservice time has truly come around. Tentacles? Seriously? And how was the octopus even alive? It's not possible for an octopus to spend that much time out of the water. Was it those two little robots doing it? That's animation of the freaking dead, and I'm pretty sure that somewhere out there, there's a mob armed with pitchforks and torches looking for them.
I think she was using her mini-tank things to somehow puppeteer it.

Quote:
4. So if I'm understanding this right, a Shinki went through a blender and survived? And the first scene last episode showed the pink-haired Shinki getting impaled by the Strarf model, and she didn't seem worse for the wear. Holy crap, they're pretty much indestructible, aren't they?
Not exactly. As I understand it, they're just very modular, so damaged parts can be easily swapped out and replaced.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 08:30   Link #125
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Spoiler:
It's kinda complicated. The original Arnval and Straf lines had a newer version released, the Arnval Mk.2 and Straf Mk.2, which are 01 and 02 respectively from the Moon Angel ONA (which ties into the plot of the Battle Masters Mk.2 game). ONA Arnval Mk.2 - Kaguya - is explicitly stated to be a custom model, and at the end of the ONA she's staying with the boy in what is more or less present day of the setting.

ONA Straf Mk.2 ended up with that former researcher, helping him in his model/hobby/Shinki shop. She's most likely not Hina, particularly as Hina is stated to be a blank slate and recently awakened.

Ann is most likely a first-gen Arnval, as it's been stated that she's been with Mastah since he was a boy, and the Mk.2s like Kaguya are new releases.

Generally, IIRC the difference between Arnval Mk.1 and Mk.2 is that the first gens are smaller than the Mk.2s by a certain margin - if they stand side by side, it's quite obvious that the Mk.2 is larger. It's like the difference between the legacy F/A-18A/B/C/D Hornet and the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, with the latter being larger than the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Think about it for a second, every organic being with a brain needs to sleep. Even fish and birds (which can pull continous 24/7 migrations) sleep while moving, they shut half of their brain, then the other half, reboot and presto. So shinki have inorganic brains, but brains need to enter stand by mode to see what memories are important (copy from RAM to hard disk) and what memories are irrelevant (delete). Otherwise their memory would fill up from the ton of images they go through as they live a day. Besides, sleep is required to really learn, new knowledge substitutes old knowledge (using a sword is NOT a proper form of salute or welcome).
Not to mention the fact that if you leave a computer running 24/7, without any shutdown or sleep time, it'll start lagging away like hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
That was a year ago, y'know. That's plenty of time to be sidelined for major repairs requiring significant work that results in a fully restored Shinki.

Quote:
Spoiler for This answer involves references to the Moon Angel ONA and Battle Masters Mk.2 PSP gam plot points:

As for why the military hasn't used Shinki, probably it's because while the Shinki could be used for recon and suchlike, conventional measures are still far more practical to be used.

The other, more thematic reason, is because as the opening narration states, Shinki are friends and partners to humans. Shinkis aren't meant for war, they're meant for love and friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Kitsune View Post
Loved this episode as well, if a bit excessive on the fan-service side. Quite nice seeing Strarf make herself at home, if a bit on the shy side. Her tsundereness is cute here.

Spoiler:
Seeing your blog, I'm not surprised at all you'd want that visualiser. Me, I'd settle for any Shinki.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 09:24   Link #126
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
maybe the Shiki's are biomorphic-type robots? hence they could digest organic foodstuffs, in order to convert them into fuel energy along with sleeping? much like those advanced versions of the decendants of the Terminators in Sarah Conor Chronicles tv series who are nearly impossible to distinguish from an actual real natural living organic being? those things are like artificial clone lifeforms than robots or something for crying out loud!, seriously........
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 09:33   Link #127
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
maybe the Shiki's are biomorphic-type robots? hence they could digest organic foodstuffs, in order to convert them into fuel energy along with sleeping?
That means they can poop as well?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 11:01   Link #128
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I'm going to assume they can run on total matter-energy conversion, and are able to make use of all the molecules in whatever substance they eat or drink. As such, there would be no waste products left over from what they consume.

I'm also rather hoping that they aren't anatomically correct enough to be able to perform those actions. Thinking anything other than that gets kind of disturbing quickly.
Old 2012-10-13, 11:22   Link #129
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
that gets kind of disturbing quickly.
Did you people really have to think in that direction? There have been a quite a few shows where machines eat organic food for "fuel." Minatsu from Da Capo II comes to mind. The food consumed most likely goes through some kinda conversion and then evaporates when used.

I thought it was pretty cool when Ann tasted that green liquid (green tea? but why would it have salt?), It showed that she was analyzing the taste with a graph. I just thought that was really interesting, you don't see that very often.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 11:29   Link #130
Arctic_Kitsune

Quote:
Well.....Look in the spoiler for my response to your questions.

Spoiler:

Hope this helped. The only thing that bugs me about the show is how they spawn their equipment at will instead of taking the time to equip it. The rest is fine.

-------------

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Seeing your blog, I'm not surprised at all you'd want that visualiser. Me, I'd settle for any Shinki.
Ya, I'd have fun using the Visualizer for my figure Shinkis along with the real ones. For when it gets cold (-40*C with windchill) that Visualizer would come in handy, photoshooting wise. Though, if I had an actual living Shinki I'd use it constantly for their sake. But if I had to settle with anything I would want a real Shinki Renge to wreck havoc with in my area, basically to spice things up heh.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Arctic_Kitsune; 2012-10-13 at 11:49. Reason: Forgot to reply to person.
Arctic_Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 12:38   Link #131
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Did you people really have to think in that direction? There have been a quite a few shows where machines eat organic food for "fuel." Minatsu from Da Capo II comes to mind. The food consumed most likely goes through some kinda conversion and then evaporates when used.
That's what I guessed. He's the one who insisted on going biology with it. I just said I'd rather not think about it that way.
Old 2012-10-13, 12:40   Link #132
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
3. Why didn't any of the Shinkis go mecha-mode during the fighting? You'd think being groped by an octopus would kinda mark the point in the fight where you might want to pull out the big guns.
Quite the opposite, it makes perfect sense that if a shinki encounters any organic living being their own system would not allow them to materialize "the big guns", even if said creature starts tearing them apart, it makes perfect business sense, one death of a human (or even a cat or dog) at the hands of a shinki would blow their business model to kingdom come, because toys labeled as dangerous get out of the shelves before you can even say "shocking hazard".

Quote:
4. So if I'm understanding this right, a Shinki went through a blender and survived? And the first scene last episode showed the pink-haired Shinki getting impaled by the Strarf model, and she didn't seem worse for the wear. Holy crap, they're pretty much indestructible, aren't they?
They aren't organic, so you can cut them to pieces without rupturing their ghost from their bodies. But I wonder if their "brain" is really inside their bodies (anyone that say GitS TV series should remember that), for all we know they might be inside a city wide high speed wi.fi network so even if they are blown to smithereens their ghost should be intact (albeit the trauma of being slowly beep fried until your master rescued it should last a lifetime) somewhere in the cloud.

Quote:
5. So we've got indestructible robots armed with lethal weapons flying around. Why has this not been exploited for military purposes? Why is the world not a war-ravaged wasteland haunted by the memories of 6-inch tall super soldiers yet?
With semi-autonomous drone warcraft in the present time, I think we will see robot soliders (bigger han 6") that are not cute nor can cook or clean in our lifetimes :/
Old 2012-10-13, 19:58   Link #133
Kyuu
=^^=

Well crap. This series takes everything back all the way to Rozen Maiden.

And if there's one thing to wonder: if sentient dolls of small size can be made, where are the human sized ones? (in b4 Chobits)
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 20:23   Link #134
Cyrogen

Quote:
Damn, now I have the mental image of someone seeing a poop in the corner of a room & one of the Shinkin yelling "It wasn't me, it was the hamster!"

http://wartdf.wordpress.com/
Cyrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 20:35   Link #135
Lukeman1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post

I thought it was pretty cool when Ann tasted that green liquid (green tea? but why would it have salt?), It showed that she was analyzing the taste with a graph. I just thought that was really interesting, you don't see that very often.
Well, it stands to reason that in any sort of conversion process, you're gonna have material waste. And unless they've all got incinerators built into themselves, that waste needs to go somewhere...................................
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 20:44   Link #136
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Well, it stands to reason that in any sort of conversion process, you're gonna have material waste.
Not any just most. Science fiction allows for conversion with no waste.
Old 2012-10-13, 22:03   Link #137
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And if there's one thing to wonder: if sentient dolls of small size can be made, where are the human sized ones? (in b4 Chobits)
IMO they are illegal because they would doom human civilization. Think about it, for the price of a car you get e-x-a-c-t-l-y the woman (mind and body) that you want (or that your personality test suggests), she will never age, she will never get sick, she will never tire, she will never get old, if they can install a womb to nurture a fertilized embryo, then who would NEED a human woman?

Addendum, robot polygamy is not more illegal than having more than one car O_o;
Old 2012-10-13, 23:05   Link #138
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well crap. This series takes everything back all the way to Rozen Maiden.

You missed my post earlier. This is a spoilered plot point relating to the Moon Angel ONA.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 10:25   Link #139
Ray
Garnet

So.. many ass shots. But.. all those joints. ;_; And tentacles? That's just lulzy. Ah, still an enjoyable episode nonetheless..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 15:50   Link #140
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Please don't go there. As someone who's been collecting the figures for a couple of years now, the last thing I want to think about is whether or not the Shinki can use the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
So.. many ass shots. But.. all those joints. ;_;
Oh yeah. Given the outfits of a number of the figures, ass shots of the girls have been common in fan art. As for the feat of ball joints, there are a few Busou Shinki fanartist on Pixiv that have done pictures of the girls without the joints.

Tags
action, bishoujo, mecha musume, science fiction, slice of life