AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-04-01, 08:05   Link #1061
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Again, pretty visuals do not, a good movie, make.

Yes, he managed to cage the thing, but by that point, after all the bland action, little development, etc., you just wonder WHY he was even there since he was basically written out of the movie.

"We can use Yuuno-kun's dimensional transfer skill."

Um, what? Nanoha, since when is he skilled at that? Was it ever shown? Or are you just telling us now so that you can justify the fact that he there despite the fact that he has had less than 1/10th of 1% of screen time in the movie?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:01   Link #1062
Hoki
Professor Lech

Either you have a short memory, or you really just hate the movie.

Yuuno's dimensional transfer skill was shown in the first movie, where he teleported Nanoha and later, himself, from the Artha to where Fate and Arf were. So going by that, it is possible that Nanoha remembers that Yuuno could do that. What is surprising is that he apparently has a skill strong enough to keep a world destroying monster grounded until everybody got a shot at it, but that's not awesome enough for you, apparently.

The movie isn't perfect, and story wise, it pales in comparison to the series it was based on. Still, in my opinion, it is still a great watch. And some of us, myself included, like the movie for the same reasons some people watch Godzilla movies just to see Godzilla wreck stuff.
Hoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:06   Link #1063
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoki View Post
Yuuno's dimensional transfer skill was shown in the first movie, where he teleported Nanoha and later, himself, from the Artha to where Fate and Arf were. So going by that, it is possible that Nanoha remembers that Yuuno could do that. What is surprising is that he apparently has a skill strong enough to keep a world destroying monster grounded until everybody got a shot at it, but that's not awesome enough for you, apparently.
Okay, it was shown in the first movie, which I give them some props for remembering...

But, again, they had to give Nanoha a line about Yuuno having dimensional transfer magic just so that they could justify his being at the battle scene when he had damn near zero screen time up to that point.

And, no, it's not that awesome because it comes across as either hax, lazy writing or DEM, take your pic, it's all lame anyway.

Old 2013-04-01, 09:12   Link #1064
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I don't see why you can't just enjoy the little scenes he has, rather than going on about how he should be removed entirely. I'm getting Aki vibes here.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:16   Link #1065
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I don't see why you can't just enjoy the little scenes he has, rather than going on about how he should be removed entirely. I'm getting Aki vibes here.
Because he does NOTHING in the movie!

He got 15 seconds where he wasn't doing exposition and then he shows up during the final battle?

Come on! In what kind of screwed up mind does THAT make ANY sense at all?!

Old 2013-04-01, 09:19   Link #1066
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Yuno has leet bind skills? And they were against a beast that could destroy the world? I don't see the issue with calling him from the infinite library.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:23   Link #1067
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Except that he had no reason to be there, at all, in the movie.

I mean, why call someone who's a librarian who has had zero combat time to fight against something that could destroy the world?

Old 2013-04-01, 09:26   Link #1068
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Apparently he does since he's the one that kept the beast in place.

We already know what he's capable of from the first movie, and more importantly, Nanoha knows. So why not?

It just seems like a really silly thing to complain about.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:29   Link #1069
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Yes, and I know that if Fate barely got any screen time in this movie and she showed up in the final battle despite not doing anything in the movie, you'd completely agree that complaining about that would be a silly thing to do as well.

And what did he do in the first movie?

His role in the first movie as Nanoha's teacher was taken over by Raising Heart.

Which, I might add, with Raising Heart having its modes pre-installed, opens up a plot hole as to why Yuuno wasn't using them.

Old 2013-04-01, 09:36   Link #1070
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Yes, and I know that if Fate barely got any screen time in this movie and she showed up in the final battle despite not doing anything in the movie, you'd completely agree that complaining about that would be a silly thing to do as well.
Discussions could be so much more productive if you didn't always involve Fate into them. But to be clear, I'll take any amount of Fate screen time over no screen time. Worst case scenario I'll have a new image to screen capture.

Quote:
And what did he do in the first movie?

His role in the first movie as Nanoha's teacher was taken over by Raising Heart.

Which, I might add, with Raising Heart having its modes pre-installed, opens up a plot hole as to why Yuuno wasn't using them.
Well, he ported Nanoha out of the Asura to save Fate, and he did well to bind that massive Octopus monster.

As for why Yuuno wasn't using it; it'd because it wasn't compatible with him, I'd imagine.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:38   Link #1071
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

I could have accepted the whole "not compatible" thing for Yuuno in the movie...

If it had been mentioned.

Seriously, Yuuno goes on and describes Linker Cores... Which don't even freakign COME UP in that season!

Instead, he should have commented on why he couldn't use Raising Heart, ANY reason would have worked! Just so long as it was given!

he knew how to activate it, he GAVE Nanoha the password...

So, why couldn't he use it if it was pre-installed?

Hell, I would have accepted this from Yuuno after Nanoha sealed the Jewel Seed monster...

"Wow, she's much more compatible with Raising Heart than I am."

Boom! Plot hole fixed!

They couldn't even dedicate 2-3 seconds to explain?

Old 2013-04-01, 09:52   Link #1072
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... I do? While the movie has its flaws, I am still of the opinion the good outweighs the bad.
I won't go that far, but I do think the good parts can be salvaged rather than tossed out with the whole.

Yuuno has a new spell, and it's damn awesome. I might tone it down though; at that strength, he should need at least a two-verse aria ritual and no other major demands on his mana supply. He might also need to concentrate on the spell to maintain it.

Otherwise, he really is just as stupid powerful as the girls, if in a completely different area.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 10:02   Link #1073
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I could have accepted the whole "not compatible" thing for Yuuno in the movie...

If it had been mentioned.
That is a plothole that remains unanswered to this day in the series as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Otherwise, he really is just as stupid powerful as the girls, if in a completely different area.
Kid can make barriers that can contain the damage from multiple over-S rank attacks. I'd say he is.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 10:07   Link #1074
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That is a plothole that remains unanswered to this day in the series as well.
I can accept it in the series as there was one thing that makes the plot hole just make you go "huh?"

That is, Nanoha thought up Raising Heart's modes and the Barrier Jacket. it was NOT pre-programmed in.

That's what makes it go from "huh" in the series that you can shrug off into a plot hole in the movies.

Old 2013-04-01, 11:23   Link #1075
Sunder the Gold

Honestly, it makes more sense that RH's modes were already there. There isn't a single other Device in the series that chooses its form and function based on the user's imagination.

If someone wants to roll with that anyway, I think it behooves them to answer the mystery.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with RH refusing to recognize Yuuno as anything more than its (first and only) guest user, on the grounds that it could sense his incompatibility when he attempted to connect with it.
Old 2013-04-01, 11:25   Link #1076
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Um... Didn't Hayate think up her staff and armor?

Besides, the only other Intelligent Device for the first two seasons we saw was Bardiche and that was built specifically to cover Fate's weaknesses.

Anyway, again, they never explained why Yuuno couldn't use RH in the movies, and since the modes were pre-installed, they could have used that here.

Old 2013-04-01, 13:17   Link #1077
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Um... Didn't Hayate think up her staff and armor?
Barrier jackets aren't devices.

In the original series, The image of RH's device form came clearly to her, whereas the mental picture of the barrier jacket was indistinct. I took this to mean that RH provided information on its form to her, but she had to design her jacket's image herself, similar to how Hayate had to decide what her Knights' clothes would look like.

Her knights did not ask her to image their Devices.

Hayate likely thought up her jacket's appearance, but the staff was probably standard to all masters of the original Tome. Hayate would have known about that because of her administrator access.
Old 2013-04-01, 13:27   Link #1078
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

But, again, the fact that Nanoha thought the modes of RH up makes more sense than RH having them pre-installed for the simple fact that Yuuno, despite having the password to use RH, could not use it like Nanoha does.

At least in the series you can just shrug it off going "huh, okay, so Yuuno never thought up the modes" while in the movie, you're just left wondering what the hell.

Old 2013-04-01, 13:55   Link #1079
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yet the series leaves you wondering how in the hell a nine-year-old manages to think up a heat dispersion system identical to the one tailor made on Fate's device.

Not to mention that Raising heart's second mode turns out to be extremely similar to the Bereau standard. So Nanoha "accidentally" thought up a device nearly identical to the standard devices wielded by the Bureau?

Plotholes either way.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 13:57   Link #1080
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Again, I can shrug that off since Nanoha thought them up easier than shrugging off the fact that if, they're pre-installed, why didn't Yuuno use them?

As the Nostalgia Critic says...

"Explain, Movie, EXPLAIN!"