AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2007-04-14, 11:35   Link #341
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
And on some notes:

AV: speaks only in german and does not display any 'screen prompt'

NV: majority of devices under this form are non-intelligent (no AI of any sort)(Subaru's set as an example). If AI are present, they have 'screen prompt' which is written in MC-form language in one mode or another (Elio's Strada as an example)- and occasionally speak English (still suspecting that NV-from devices w/AI speak German). Also included is the provision for spell ribbon usage- a trademark of MC-form magic attacks (Subaru doing DB as an example). Though the seal is still the same, some seemingly Velka moves are done in MC-form (Wing road's letters as an example- let me clarify if they are MC or runic letters *curses file*) - Basically, NV is the MC-safe/allowed/combined form of AV. "Velka for the new generation/century/blahblah" - i think they did not have any choice but to include the Velka-form (in any manner, ancient or modern), since the majority of MC-form mages use ranged attacks (Fate is the common exception)

probably, Carol's device will speak in English, as it is the default in MC-form devices
Old 2007-04-14, 18:18   Link #342
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

The Triad just put up a pared-down, translated version of the official Nanoha website.

http://www.nanoha.the-triad.org/
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 19:52   Link #343
Meophist

A question: Have the birthdays of the characters been announced?
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 23:49   Link #344
Thisguy
Negikamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Basically, NV is the MC-safe/allowed/combined form of AV.
According to magazine article (I don't remember which one was that...), Modern Velka is not directly related to Ancient Velka, rather MV is emulated style that runs on MC principle and acts and appears like Velka style.

As MV and MC share the basis, it's not suprising Strada can use both MC and MV magic or Subaru's going to use I.D (Mach-Calibur) and A.D (Knuckle) at the same time, whereas AV users strictly use AV with A.D.
Thisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:23   Link #345
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
The Triad just put up a pared-down, translated version of the official Nanoha website.

http://www.nanoha.the-triad.org/
Now THESE are the type of background info I've been dying to see (trivia freak):

Quote:
The 97th Administrated Outer World (Current Planet Name: "Earth")
Far East Sector, Japan, Uminari City
So that's their classification for Earth eh? And Teana's Anchor Gun is classified as a "Cartridge Type Quasi Storage Device", quite different from the other devices.

And here's Triad's full listing of who are named after cars (and there's ALOT):

SPECIAL NOTES ON NAMES:

Quote:
-Fate's original last name, Testarossa, was based off of the Ferrari Testarossa
-The name Subaru Nakajima is based off of the SUBARU brand of cars, and before WWII, the head manufucaturing company, Fuji Heavy Industries, was known as Nakajima Aircraft. This also plays into the airport incident at the beginnng of episode 1.
-Teana's based off of the Nissan Teana
-Aerio Mondial is based off of the the Suzuki Aerio and Ferrari Mondial (note how Testarossa and Mondial are based off of Ferraris and think of the relationship between these two characters)
-Caro L. was based off of the Mazda Carol (Nanoha creators were trying to be creative and make it weird)
-Signum is based off of the Opel Signum
-Vita is based off of the Opel Vita
-Shamal is based off of the Maserati Shamal
-Zafira is based off of the Opel Zafira
-Shario is based off of the Mitsubishi Chariot but we refuse to name a character Chariot.
-Vice Granscenic is based off of the Renault Grand Scenic and most likely GTA: Vice City
-Carym Gracia is based off of the Camry Gracia. Note how Camry has been re-arranged
-Verossa has been based off of the Toyota Verossa
-Alto is based off of the Suzuki Alto
-Lucino is based off of the Nissan Lucino
-Schach Nouera is based off of the Mitsuoka Nouera
Expected them to miss the Weiss and Alt connection ^^; But damn, that's alot of automobile related names there. I especially like Subaru's naming background.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 02:15   Link #346
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Now THESE are the type of background info I've been dying to see (trivia freak):

Far East Sector, Japan, Uminari City
*takes notes for fics later*
Old 2007-04-15, 03:12   Link #347
Thisguy
Negikamo

Quote:
Hmm... they translated "管理外" in that way?
"管理外" is more like Non-Administrated World imho - especially with the fact that Earth is still not ready to accept far more advanced techs of Midchilda.
Thisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 03:39   Link #348
Saffaya

Actually, Nanoha is the second series I know of that uses car names for characters.

Magic Knight Rayearth did it too.

Exemple :

Presea
http://yukariskawaiishop.com/magic-k...ll-p-1500.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Presea

Alcyone
http://www.manga.it/fanart/view.php?c=33324
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX
Saffaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 04:10   Link #349
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy View Post
Hmm... they translated "管理外" in that way?
"管理外" is more like Non-Administrated World imho - especially with the fact that Earth is still not ready to accept far more advanced techs of Midchilda.
Hmm that's quite true too, depending on how u lump the words together, a bit like where u put a comma might change depending on where u put it. I wonder what's Triad's stand on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffaya View Post
Actually, Nanoha is the second series I know of that uses car names for characters.

Magic Knight Rayearth did it too.

Exemple :

Presea
http://yukariskawaiishop.com/magic-k...ll-p-1500.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Presea

Alcyone
http://www.manga.it/fanart/view.php?c=33324
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX
Not the first to notice, and won't be the last. The car nomenclature went as far back as Fate herself, where her initial initials (pardon the pun) and last name were that of the Ferrari Testarossa. Which makes for someone to end up with a dodgy name. *thinks of Chariot and shudders*
Old 2007-04-15, 05:45   Link #350
Saffaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Not the first to notice, and won't be the last.
Actually I am the very first on this forum to point out the fact Rayearth did use the car names for chars before Nanoha.
(make a search a nanoha forum with the term 'rayearth' and you'll see).

Anyone know of other shows that did the same ?
Saffaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 06:21   Link #351
Woden

Quote:
Actually I am the very first on this forum to point out the fact Rayearth did use the car names for chars before Nanoha.
(make a search a nanoha forum with the term 'rayearth' and you'll see).
Except that this board is not the only ploace to get information. With the number of times that the wikipedia articles have been posted, I'd be surprised if the majority people didn't already know it.
Woden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 14:46   Link #352
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Let's not forget the great-granddaddy of them all, Roy Fokker. Though that's one character rather than a policy and explicitly referenced in the series so it's not quite the same...
Old 2007-04-15, 14:55   Link #353
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

*Looks suddenly lost*

Riot Fokka = Roy Fokker, is that the one?
Old 2007-04-15, 15:58   Link #354
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Roy Fokker of Macross, after the Fokker Dr.I and/or its producer.
Old 2007-04-15, 21:10   Link #355
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Anyone know of other shows that did the same ?
Someone said Solty Rei did, but I'm not really sure.

I just checked ANN, and the only one I recognised is Celica Yayoi.
We have a Toyota Celica here in Australia, dunno about other countries.
BatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 18:07   Link #356
Bloodseeker

*watches episode of Negima*

*leaves topic*

*drives down to convenience store*

*buys ten cans of mace and kendo stick*

*re-enters topic*

*thoroughly maces everyone that said that Teana = Asuna w/ guns, then beats them over the back of the head with the kendo stick*

ASUNA ISN'T ANYWHERE NEAR COOL ENOUGH TO BE COMPARED TO TEANA! And Teana doesn't commit random acts of violence for no particular reason! They look alike and they're both pretty high on the tsun-scale! That's it!
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 19:18   Link #357
murklins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
*watches episode of Negima*
So... did you watch the original or Negima!?, the vastly superior remake that is kinda like Nanoha (magic and fight scenes, anyway) + Pani Poni Dash + harem? This is vital, since the first series is really really bad and the second rather good (as well as stuck in fansub limbo ).

Agreed on people comparing Asuna and Teana, though.
murklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 19:51   Link #358
Bloodseeker

Negima?!

Episode that I watched wasn't that great (watched the spring OVA... meh), but given some of the concepts and the brief bit that I saw of the characters, I got the feeling that a good episode would have been really entertaining.

(I intend to read the manga before I fully watch either anime, though, since I hear that the manga is vastly superior to both... that was definitely true with Love Hina; maybe Ken Akamatsu's sense of humor just doesn't translate that well into anime form?)
Old 2007-04-17, 20:13   Link #359
murklins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
(watched the spring OVA... meh)

(I intend to read the manga before I fully watch either anime, though, since I hear that the manga is vastly superior to both... that was definitely true with Love Hina; maybe Ken Akamatsu's sense of humor just doesn't translate that well into anime form?)
The OVAs are nothing more than vehicles for fanservice, the actual show has much, much less.

And Negima!? is nothing like the manga because Shaft adds their PPD style to the mix, plus it's currently deep in original story and doesn't seem to be returning anytime soon. Doesn't mean the manga is bad though, I enjoyed it... just be prepared for many, many pantyshots.

Speaking of fanservice, is it just me or are they laying it on thicker in StrikerS? Or did I just mentally block most of the loli-service out in the first two seasons?
murklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 20:20   Link #360
Bloodseeker

No, pretty much all of the fanservice in Nanoha and Nanoha As aside the transformation sequences and the hotsprings episode were centered around the adults.

And I definitely wouldn't complain if they layed it on thicker in StrikerS.

(assuming that they didn't become too reliant on it, but I couldn't see Nanoha doing that)