AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-07-19, 16:32   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
What would you do if you had no access to anime?

I'm not just talking about something like your internet connection going out, and you going over to a friends/library/anime club to watch. I mean if anime was completely cut out of your life(barring that you don't live in japan) and the only access was to live in japan. What would you do? How would you spend your time? I know some people don't need this for entertainment as they have a plethora of other activities they could be doing. But even so, there are many fans who've come to depend on the internet for their anime fix for various reasons(which I won't get into). I'm a computer junkie. If I'm not at work or at school, I'm on my computer, reading some manga or watching some anime. I'm not a sociable person. Yeah, in this society, being sociable is practically a necessity, but it's just not me =0\. I only occasionally go out with my friends, maybe once a week or so. Honestly, I wouldn't know what I'd do. Probably get more sleep. Maybe play my games a bit more, or play tennis more often. Perhaps my boredom would provoke me into FINDING something else to do, but I know it'd leave quite an empty space in my activities.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 16:35   Link #2
Xion Valkyrie

Are we talking about anime + manga, or just anime? If it's just anime I wouldn't mind that much, as I barely watch any as it is right now. If manga is included, that'd be a different story. It'd be hard to find a replacement for it that's for sure.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 16:43   Link #3
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I'd be a bit more sane. Maybe. Tbh, it wouldn't affect me in any way. I'd just watch more series or movies than I already do.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 17:12   Link #4
Lycia

Die?...Yeh maybe.
Lycia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 17:13   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'd probably get back into western comic books (Marvel and DC), or watching pro wrestling, a bit more.

Outside chance I might watch more North American live-action TV shows, but aside from sports, pro wrestling, and news, that hasn't interested me much in a very long time.

It would be a tough transition, to be sure. There are certain types of characters, stories, and styles that are prevalent in anime but don't really exist to any significant degree anywhere else, from what I can tell anyway.
Old 2010-07-19, 17:30   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Are we talking about anime + manga, or just anime? If it's just anime I wouldn't mind that much, as I barely watch any as it is right now. If manga is included, that'd be a different story. It'd be hard to find a replacement for it that's for sure.
Yeah, manga and light novels as well. I'm more of a manga reader myself. When they took down most of the manga on MT last week, I was kinda at a lost as to what to read, before I started hunting down a few scanlator sites.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 17:55   Link #7
james0246

What would you do without anime?

Draw my own...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 17:58   Link #8
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I'd shrivel up and die.

I don't read manga, nor am I a sociable person. I have a finite amount of games (the majority I've already played the hell out of), taking away my DVDs and my internet access at the library (specifically to anime) would just... be devastating.

I need my daily dose of yandere. Yandere's are chock full of vitamins Cute and Dangerous.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 18:21   Link #9
Kudryavka

Just watch American cartoons. Not like anime is an essential part of my life; I'd shrivel up and die just from knowing that I'd shrivel up and die from such a trivial thing being extricated from my life. That's pretty pathetic, to be torn in two because one tiny piece of your entertainment is gone.

If all my games and stuff was taken... I'd go to the Grove.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 18:49   Link #10
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

"Today's top news: Anime has been banned."

*i go outside, drop to my knees, and scream to the heavens:* "WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!? !?!?!??!" *dies*

that is what would happen.
Old 2010-07-19, 19:54   Link #11
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There should still be Mythbusters or any of those shows in Discovery or National Geographic.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 19:57   Link #12
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I would most likely read more like I used to...or just get into more Asian drama. Think about working on my thesis but keep pushing it off

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:28   Link #13
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

hmm I would hate going cold turkey when it comes to anime, but I would most defiantly suffer from withdraw symptoms. Then after a while of saving up my money to buy Dish network or direct tv I would watch the gameshow network, History Channel, and what ever else interests me. As for manga only devastating thing is there will be no more 07 Ghost, +C Sword and Cornett, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and Kuroshitsuji. I would most likely go back to reading fantasy and horror books even though they will never be as good the manga I listed above. Also I would probably be playing video games alot more than I am right now.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:31   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

More time for gaming, home projects, practicing guitar... I'd still be learning Japanese anyway (family reasons).
Old 2010-07-19, 21:34   Link #15
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Look for me on the CNN that will tell you what I have done
Old 2010-07-19, 22:43   Link #16
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Look for me on the CNN that will tell you what I have done
Whazzat mean??
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 00:10   Link #17
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

I'd have more time to indulge in my other hobbies (music, games, books). I guess I might watch more movies than I currently do for the times that I long for a more passive entertainment, but otherwise not much would change. My interest in Japanese doesn't even originate from anime, but from games, so I'd probably be about the same even if I never had access to anime in the first place.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 00:27   Link #18
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

sucide. defintly.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 00:43   Link #19
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Go to sleep after work instead of staying up all hours and hurting the next day?
Old 2010-07-20, 00:50   Link #20
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So I take the question is how we'd be spending out lives' free time if anime or manga type media didn't exist at all?

I'd probably still be a big gamer, mostly watch western cartoons and animated sitcoms, and read newspaper comics.

Japanese media arts are entertaining and cool at times but sometimes they piss me off as well, so I think I could live without it.