AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-24, 12:29   Link #421
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When you have months between episodes you don't have much more to do than plot.

Given that there is already a framework to build on it is not all that hard to plot out what might come. Though the new directors could change things around so much that all plans end by episode 7. It is unlikely they will deviate that much from the known since they spent all this time adding in elements and characters from later series into the beginning of the show. While the overall plot arcs are probably going to stay intact...the details may change, as there are already multiple variations of almost all the plotlines. Most are only different in detail. Others are different in who lives and who dies, which sometimes can seriously effect later stories, but usually doesn't, as the characters who live or die tend to not show up again either way. Except when it is the main bridge crew. Than it kind of gets important.

(Torpedo destroyer Yukikaze, the skintight suits...and Yuki, have been around since 1974. The other four girls...and their breast sizes, are new.)
Old 2012-05-24, 13:17   Link #422
macdawson

The one thing i would totally change in the end of season 1, though i doubt it will happen due to it's impact on the overall story and Kodai's character growth, would be Okita's "death". Yep, i would keep him alive. There, i said it.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 13:45   Link #423
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"Retired" Admiral Okita? I doubt it would work due to his experiance and the nature of Kodai's journey. Though the new Kodai isn't as hot headed as his 1974 version. Probably because he's no longer the product of World War II/Occupation era Japanese author's ideals on "the hero". The new creators were teenagers when Yamato was originally aired. Today's Japanese hero is different than back then.

However. Okita's fate could change. His end in 1975 was pretty much based on the series would be stand alone. No thought of a sequel. (Same with Dessler come to think of it). Okita still needs to be taken out of the picture (in terms of on the Yamato herself) if Kodai's story is to continue. Having the mentor character stick around it fairly rare in the "Hero's Journey". It isn't impossible, just they usually are no longer near the hero most of the time, and rarely need to offer advise anymore. He could still be the Fleet Commander, but Hijikata is there, and we know he's capable from the 2201 Battle of Saturn. But then there were more than one fleet, and you need admirals with the fleets and admirals back at HQ directing things.

Also there is Hero's Hill....(kind of an iconic place)

In fact the only time you would need Okita again in the story would be if Kodai loses his confidence in command to the point of leaving his post, and/or you need someone to go down with the ship (that isn't Kodai). This would only be needed if there has been a huge romance arc that has remained unresolved for the whole series, yet the author insists on using the old tradition that "the Captain goes down with his ship"...and insists that Yamato must fall at the very end. Usually to save Earth, one last time. Because nothing is forever. (or is it?)
Old 2012-05-24, 15:09   Link #424
YF19EX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=or09dSlxltM

This series is just blowing away all my expectations.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 15:23   Link #425
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

mhmhmh...

MwhAHAHAHAH...

Very nice.

More answers, but still more questions....just like it should be. (the guy with the twin tailed cat looks creepy)

Looks like a lot of updates today on Yamato2199.net

Kōichi Yamadera is Dessler's voice actor. It is too bad it isn't Masatō Ibu, but the Yamadera has played in Yamato before....as an older Kodai in the 2009 film. (He has also played the role of Tochiro Oyama...Captain Harlock...and of courser, Spike Spiegel.)

The Gamilons mecha has gotten stats as well as tanks. The ship details (translated) would be most useful for the game I intend to pull off in September.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-24 at 16:08.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 17:02   Link #426
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...say, how do the infantry get OUT of the Gamilon APC?

I'm wondering about that more than the Gamilon tanks having a three barreled turret, and a fixed hull gun.

Does anyone know what the numbers associated with the GAmilon APC means? I'm ALMOST inclined to think the 33 refers to it's carrying capacity cause quite frankly...this thing looks gigantic.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 18:40   Link #427
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm inclined to say 33 mm cannon. I "think" the troop capacity is 8 with a crew of 3. (odd there is no dimentions for this one, but there are for the main battle tank...but than the carrier still has not data.)

As to how to get them open...the traditional way...by blowing it up.

The ship data looks quite useful for my purposes. Save that I can't read it properly. Though one it is on the Japanese Wiki I should be able to run it through Google's sometimes goofy translator. It is better than nothing. Not much better, but at least it gives me clues to what is a missile and what is a power coverter.
Old 2012-05-24, 20:17   Link #428
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

I'm sorry...but that's a full fledged eyegasm.
Old 2012-05-24, 20:57   Link #429
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is that a good thing?

I see a lot of things going on in these four episodes, though there is one episode they hardly touch (from what I can tell). There doesn't seem to be a lot from episode 4 there....the one were they are at Saturn. Unless that is were a bunch of the fighter action takes place. But nothing particularly plot related save for maybe a brief mention of something important. Most of the trailer was stuff around Episode 3 (the warp and Jupiter) and Episodes 5 and 6 near Pluto.
Old 2012-05-24, 22:14   Link #430
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Is that a good thing?

I see a lot of things going on in these four episodes, though there is one episode they hardly touch (from what I can tell). There doesn't seem to be a lot from episode 4 there....the one were they are at Saturn. Unless that is were a bunch of the fighter action takes place. But nothing particularly plot related save for maybe a brief mention of something important. Most of the trailer was stuff around Episode 3 (the warp and Jupiter) and Episodes 5 and 6 near Pluto.
That's cause episode 4 isn't done being animated yet . I'm sure footage from it will be in the next preview.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 22:33   Link #431
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Down to the wire animating again? Sounds like a Yamato tradition.

(If you can, do point out the rather bad English spelling problems to the animators. "Alart" (twice on Yuki's radar screen)? "Midium" (twice on different Cosmo Zero display screens)?)
Old 2012-05-24, 22:55   Link #432
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Down to the wire animating again? Sounds like a Yamato tradition.

(If you can, do point out the rather bad English spelling problems to the animators. "Alart" (twice on Yuki's radar screen)? "Midium" (twice on different Cosmo Zero display screens)?)
Unfortunately we only get very low resolution versions so we can't do that kind of checking... Consider it part of the nostalgic nature .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-05-24, 23:08   Link #433
August138

I can try to pass this on to Ryusuke Hikawa and Junichiro Tamamori who both work on the actual show.
Old 2012-05-24, 23:09   Link #434
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Okay. Though maybe English changed in two hundred years.

Some images from the preview.

That's going to hurt.

So it that.

It is an interesting change in the way they store and launch the Cosmo Falcons in this show. Backwards. Stacked on reverse sides on a pallet. In a rotary delivery system in the hanger space.

Though it means there is a lot more ways to mess up the system than the old "open the damn door" method.

And who (or what) the hell is this?

Freaking me out. Definately not a native born Gamilas (not blue skinned anyway). Not Hiss/Krypt because he's listed on the Gamilus character page and looks more or less like he always did (slightly bug eyed).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-24 at 23:48.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 00:23   Link #435
YF19EX

I just noticed the Yamato firing regular shells in two sequences of the preview. (One at 1:20 and the other at 1:26) I believe that you or someone mentioned that the Shock Cannons appear to be dual purpose with mass based shells as well as energy weapons.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 02:59   Link #436
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithekro View Post
and who (or what) the hell is this?

I imagine that this is the commander of the Gamilas Base on the Floating Continent.
Old 2012-05-25, 03:00   Link #437
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post

I imagine that this is the commander of the Gamilas Base on the Floating Continent.
It's not just the Humans who get more female characters! Pixiv fanart explosion commence!

(or maybe not ) Also, for all you know the cat is the commander .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-05-25, 03:20   Link #438
August138

ATARI! I was surprised that more people didn't notice that this was a female villain! Or was that feline...?
Old 2012-05-25, 05:15   Link #439
macdawson

Not much for us to assess gender. No female "attributes" that i can see. The hearring/stud isn't much of a tell these days and many men have cats. XDDD

I quite liked the new launch method for the Falcons, just wondering how they land.

The new Warp seems more complex than just flashing from one point in space to another, though truth be said, the first one was also more involved than the others. But i like how they depict it, as if the warp system opens a wormhole. More in accord to modern day physics. What i can't help wondering is, will they keep that rydiculous vanishing clothes scene? Sure, it's fan service at its zenith but come on. I did notice that the Yamato itself suffers a strip itself when warping (check the trailer at the 21 second mark), we can actually see the inner structures of the ship as the hull becomes transparent in places, much like the cut out drawing that appeared in Great Mechanics DX 20 and one of the Clear Files.

Another thing i got a feel from the trailer, and as such it is nothing but wild speculation on my part, is that the Pluto mission is a lot different. For one the Yamato seems to spend a bit more time upside down and bridge 3 seems to get a lot more use. Also it seems the attack is not done by a strike team infiltrating the Gamilas base but rather a more direct fighter attack, wich seems to involve traking it's location and shooting a tower like structure (the designs for this are on display at starblazers.com) I do like that the Yamato crashes on the ocean but that, instead of being liquid, it's actually frozen (i'm guessing only a top layer), when they get hit by the Reflex Gun the ship banks and the ice breaks. A latter scene of the Yamato firing the bottom missiles, shows the underside of the ship protruding from the ice wich seems to indicate they have to constantly break through it to surface (good reason to keep it upside down. )

OK, enough ranting for now. I'll have a few hundred screen caps up latter today.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 06:06   Link #440
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I'm inclined to say 33 mm cannon. I "think" the troop capacity is 8 with a crew of 3. (odd there is no dimentions for this one, but there are for the main battle tank...but than the carrier still has not data.)

As to how to get them open...the traditional way...by blowing it up.
If that gun on top really is a 33mm cannon...this vehicle overall seems a bit too large to just be carrying 8 infantry soldiers.

Even accounting for the armored treads on the side, this is an incredibly roomy looking vehicle.

...though seeing the X1 by the 33 numbered thing, it probably is one 33mm gun.

edit: The main thing that strikes me how off center the gun is, compared to say, a Marine LAV.

And remember the gun on the LAV is only 25mm, and it takes up quite allot of space. The turret on the gamilon APC is much less substantial relative to the rest of the vehicle chassis.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato