Old 2011-06-27, 19:13   Link #2281
KeithKurogane
Recorder of World Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
So gentlemen, I present to you the real ending of Dog Days:

Spoiler for mangatronism:

*runs from the Millimeter fans*
Heretic! After him Brothers! Cleanse... Purge... KILL!!

Seriously... I prefer Becky x Gaul... (If Season 2 happens!)
Old 2011-06-27, 20:53   Link #2282
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithKurogane View Post
Heretic! After him Brothers! Cleanse... Purge... KILL!!

Seriously... I prefer Becky x Gaul... (If Season 2 happens!)
Hahaha, that would be awesome XD

.......*sneaks off with yukki while everyones busy killing mangatron.
Old 2011-06-27, 21:34   Link #2283
Sekirei07

There really isn't any plot to make a season two, OAV yes, but whole season? No

Things would just get complicated further with the whole world crossing if Becky and Shinku's mentor come because wouldn't there memory get erased at the end and they would have to do all the prep for re-entry if they want to return/remember since it would be there first time going there as "hero's"?

Personally I want to see an OVA of Milly and gang going to visit Shinku (since the dog could go why not them?) and end up in Akihiba where she gets scouted to be an idol and all the Otaku's point out all the Nanoha references! Now THAT would be a sweet OVA!
Old 2011-06-27, 21:42   Link #2284
justsomeguy

I just watched the ending. Final thoughts:

* Except for Leonmitchelli, the characters don't really change much from when we first met them. I don't expect complete life histories, but there were too many named characters who were just there and didn't accomplish much. Cinque himself is a Gary Stu. All the girls are cute though, so we have that at the very least.
* The world of Flonyard is not entirely explored, but that is okay and to be expected, since there's only 13 episodes.
* The core of the story is very basic, yet somehow the writers managed to screw up pacing. The big monster prophesized to kill Cinque and Milhi is defeated in episode ten and the evil sword is sealed in two minutes at the beginning of eleven. Then we have two full episodes of forced drama to end. Dammit, instead of such a long ending, an extra or longer battle could have been squeezed in. I wouldn't be surprised if budgetary concerns figured into this.
* Speaking of battles, Cinque didn't really strike me as being much more powerful than Eclair. He certainly wasn't as strong as Leonmitchelli or Brioche. He's peak in the human world, but we really should have gotten to see him kick more ass in Flonyard. Beating up nameless grunts with generic faces was rather disappointing after the spectacular tag team with Eclair against Leonmitchelli in episode two, and the big demon was more of a rescue mission than a battle.
* The drama near the end just strikes me as contrived bullshit. Seriously, we have a dog that has no problems traveling between worlds, and cell phones can also communicate across the boundary! Yet, sending Cinque back involves all sorts of ridiculous conditions and the dreaded mindwipe. This awful writing had me rolling my eyes. Eclair: "It's easy to come here, but one has to go through all this hassle to leave again. It's ridiculous."

6.5/10. I wouldn't mind a second season though, if only because I liked the characters and nothing else.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 22:03   Link #2285
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A predictable ending but a great one and leaving it open for a season 2 maybe some one need to license and dub this

8/10
Old 2011-06-27, 22:06   Link #2286
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

That's how I felt as well even though the ending was predictable. It still left a very good impact otherwise. Leaving a massive cliffhanger for a season 2 as well (I wonder about that OVA idea )
Old 2011-06-27, 22:13   Link #2287
Frostysunset

First of all, I like this show. Yes it is sweet and sappy at times. And the pacing was a bit off. But I think it is merely an introduction to a possible larger series. No plot to work with, some say? What about those evil swords, where did they come from? Why are the beasts corrupted by said swords beginning to awaken? When will the countries who have been practicing war for all these years in order to combat when the monsters resurrect be able to actually go to real war?
Now that the question of the hero being able to go back and forth has been answered (which was the center plotline of the story), the writers can begin to address those questions and any others they might throw in.
I don't think the conditions for hero summoning and return are contrived at all. The conditions to send back a hero as mentioned in the discovered letter were to allow a summoned hero who did NOT want to be part of the wars to be sent back without consequence. And further, he could not be resummoned against his will because the conditions for return would only be fulfilled by someone either seeking to return or WOULD BE NATURALLY DONE BY ANYONE WHO HAD MADE FRIENDS THAT HE MIGHT NOT SEE FOR A LONG TIME OR EVER. Sinkku (or however you spell it) just naturally left mementos to his friends that he was saying goodbye to. And left his most precious gift and a note to the one he loved. So the whole summoning conditions thing is not so much a contrived plot device as a logical set of conditions that would make summoning, returning, and resummoning work efficiently on that world.
Does the series need some work? Yeah, but it is a nice series that I would hope will get fleshed out in another season.
Frostysunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 22:30   Link #2288
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostysunset View Post
I don't think the conditions for hero summoning and return are contrived at all. The conditions to send back a hero as mentioned in the discovered letter were to allow a summoned hero who did NOT want to be part of the wars to be sent back without consequence. And further, he could not be resummoned against his will because the conditions for return would only be fulfilled by someone either seeking to return or WOULD BE NATURALLY DONE BY ANYONE WHO HAD MADE FRIENDS THAT HE MIGHT NOT SEE FOR A LONG TIME OR EVER. Sinkku (or however you spell it) just naturally left mementos to his friends that he was saying goodbye to. And left his most precious gift and a note to the one he loved. So the whole summoning conditions thing is not so much a contrived plot device as a logical set of conditions that would make summoning, returning, and resummoning work efficiently on that world.
No matter how it's justified, it's contrived because transit between the two worlds is shown to be easy in all other circumstances. Matter transits easily (Tatsumaki), and energy as well (radio waves from cell phones). Yet when it's the hero himself, all of these conditions plus the mindwipe come into play. It is very obvious that the writers wrote drama to create drama without thinking about whether it fits well with the other things we've seen. That's what I mean by contrived. If they had gotten rid of the cell phone use things would work out slightly better, but then they would have needed to get rid of Becky as well. Cinque leaving a group of people he's close to creates drama enough, there was no need for that amnesia crap.

Old 2011-06-28, 00:11   Link #2289
Enternal

From the letter that we see in episode 13, it said that the way he was sent back was for disagreeable heroes (basically heroes who are bad or heroes who does not want to keep their connection with Flonyard and the summoner). Therefore the method that was used in this episode does not allow them to bring anything back and also lose their memories. What the letter also describe was how to re-summon those "disagreeable" heroes back to Flonyard if it is required or a mistake.

Result? Shinku was sent back the wrong way. He was sent back as if he did not want to maintain connection with Floyard and Milli. He however does want to keep his connection with Flonyard which is why he left back stuff here and there which contradicts with the main reason why the method was used in the first place. Therefore there exists a method to re-summon him if there was such an error. Overall he can send back the "normal" way which he can keep items and memories just like how Tatsumaki goes back and forth between the two worlds.

Of course such an "accident" procedure to re-summon the hero is convenient but it isn't as contrived as you initially think. Also it's just the conditions are there to make sure that the "disagreeable" heroes really do wanted to keep connections to Flonyard which is why is probably required 3 items that are kept by someone from Flonyard. I mean if it is one item, it could be an accident such as dropping his/she pen and someone picking it up. If it's 3, then it's almost pretty much clear that he/she had people he cared about and left items for them to remember him/her by. It's even more concrete if he left some sort of letter to the summoner or important. Although personally I did not like the last requirement it as it's too convenient and also how it required both an important item and a letter. Because what if he did not bring anything important? It could have simply be a letter to the summoner and not required to be a letter with a promise to come back and also including his name and her name. Basically it should have been a letter OR an important item and not a letter AND an important item.

Last edited by Enternal; 2011-06-28 at 00:25.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 00:24   Link #2290
justsomeguy

My point is that something like this should not have been written in in the first place. There are ways to create drama revolving around farewells that do not involve making a mistake, then reversing that mistake immediately to create a happy ending (after all, if you want a happy ending, then just go for it instead of this convolution). That time spent on the farewell was wasted.

Also, note that while Cinque was sent back the "wrong" way, no mention was made of a method to send him back the "right" way, other than the correction that was accidentally prepared. We have no idea if the "wrong" way was actually the only way, with the magic spell created under the assumption that only disagreeable heroes would want to go back.

Old 2011-06-28, 00:29   Link #2291
Enternal

True. I'm thinking they are just trying something a bit different. I mean, all the years I have watched anime, I don't remember an ending that was like this. So it was a little unique in that sense.

At the same time, I felt that they did that to also show the deeper feelings of the characters. If Shinku could go back without any problems, would Rico ever show how much she cared for everyone and also for Shinku and his relations with Flonyard? Would Eclair ever... nevermind she's the same as always hehe (not a bad thing). Would Milhi and Shinku ever confess? They only confessed only at the very very end when Shinku is starting to float up. They confess because they know they won't see each other ever again. In a way the drama speed things up a bit.

Edit: If a method was used to send a disagreeable hero exists. I'm assuming that the method that is used to send an agreeable hero exists right? Also that letter itself is unclear as to whether it was recently written or by someone in the past so that's one thing I'm concerned about. The reason for that is if it's recent, then all it needs to focus on is telling Rico how to re-summon Shinku back hence there's no mentioning of the "right" way to send the hero back. Actually I don't know but perhaps bringing an item back or not is what changes the spell. If he brings something back, he keep his memories and can return (when Paladion was given back to him, he instant remembered everything). If he did not, it shows that he does not want to maintain any connections to Flonyard and therefore also loses his memories.
Old 2011-06-28, 00:37   Link #2292
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
True. I'm thinking they are just trying something a bit different. I mean, all the years I have watched anime, I don't remember an ending that was like this. So it was a little unique in that sense.

At the same time, I felt that they did that to also show the deeper feelings of the characters. If Shinku could go back without any problems, would Rico ever show how much she cared for everyone and also for Shinku and his relations with Flonyard? Would Eclair ever... nevermind she's the same as always hehe (not a bad thing). Would Milhi and Shinku ever confess? They only confessed only at the very very end when Shinku is starting to float up. They confess because they know they won't see each other ever again. In a way the drama speed things up a bit.
There are simpler ways to do that. For example, simply state that once a summoned hero returns, he cannot be summoned again for x amount of time. Forcing loved ones to stay apart like that would provide an opportunity to show the same feelings, especially if x is a long time. Or alternatively, keep things exactly the same as what occurred, except leave out the memory wipe stuff. That was unnecessary on top of Cinque supposedly never being able to be summoned again.

Old 2011-06-28, 00:47   Link #2293
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
There are simpler ways to do that. For example, simply state that once a summoned hero returns, he cannot be summoned again for x amount of time. Forcing loved ones to stay apart like that would provide an opportunity to show the same feelings, especially if x is a long time. Or alternatively, keep things exactly the same as what occurred, except leave out the memory wipe stuff. That was unnecessary on top of Cinque supposedly never being able to be summoned again.
Also your method is not necessary simpler. It's just different at least to me. Either way, your method or the author's method would work but I'm leaning more towards the author in this case because I find the memory wipe to be somewhat useful. Also your method... would not lead directly into a quick sequel that the author might want? If there is a sequel, the author probably wants the sequel to take place during the summer vacation just like what Shinku and Milhi have been looking forward to. Who knows. Your method does can lead to a more mature Rico for those... whatever. I like our current characters in their current age.

You seem to mainly have a problem with the memory wipe. I don't know but it's just that if a "disagreeable" hero does not want to maintain or have any sort of connection with Flonyard, I'm sure he/she just wants to get back to his normal life right? So he/she will be returned almost just as he/she was before but without any items or memories and only a sense for something missing and losing track of time.

In a way, the memory wipe really is like a "reset" before Flonyard for those heroes.
Old 2011-06-28, 05:50   Link #2294
Frostysunset

Quote:
No matter how it's justified, it's contrived because transit between the two worlds is shown to be easy in all other circumstances.
You aren't trying to seriously apply common and logical laws of nature to this anime, are you? I mean, people turning into animal balls and other nonsensical stuff -- in relation to our reality -- occur throughout the anime. Perhaps the hero summoning stuff is so difficult in comparison to other transportation is that on that planet's magical system all the hoops and conditions prevent summoning abuse.

Case 1: Guy gets summoned but doesn't want to be. He gets sent back, can't get resummoned -- prevents the harassment of being summoned until he gives in -- and forgets he was ever there, being none the worse for wear. In this case, the mindwipe stuff actually benefits the summonee, and the magic system works.

Case 2: Guy get summoned, participates, has fun, makes friends, wants to go home, but doesn't want to come back but wants to remember. If there is such a return spell that protects against resummoning and retains memories we aren't told. Perhaps it is as simple as waiting beyond the 16-day return limit.

Case 3: Sinkku's case -- he wants to come back. Now, we were shown the correction of a case 1 return. I suspect a case 3 return would have very similar steps (mementos, etc.) in addition to having the hero return with an object from Flonyard (spelling?) to retain his memory connection (in Sinkku's case -- the ring). The 91-days? I will think on that one, but I don't think the writers were so lazy and to just throw together a crazy ending without thinking of the greater implication to the entire show's magical system.
Frostysunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 06:56   Link #2295
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
So gentlemen, I present to you the real ending of Dog Days:

Spoiler for mangatronism:

*runs from the Millimeter fans*
Millimeter : *watching from a magic mirror in Flonyard* What? He didn't even do it to me when my back was turned!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 07:09   Link #2296
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
You seem to mainly have a problem with the memory wipe. I don't know but it's just that if a "disagreeable" hero does not want to maintain or have any sort of connection with Flonyard, I'm sure he/she just wants to get back to his normal life right? So he/she will be returned almost just as he/she was before but without any items or memories and only a sense for something missing and losing track of time.
Yeah, basically. The memory wipe raises more questions and is unnecessary. What if Cinque took a photo with a cell phone camera (surprisingly, his phone doesn't seem to have one, or he didn't think to?), does that get wiped too? Even though he accidentally stumbled on the "correct" way to get sent back, why still the memory wipe? Good drama should not raise questions like this.

@Frostysunset: It's not laws of nature, it's consistency and common sense. If we have to jump through hoops to make up our own explanations, then the writers have failed to make their story convincing.

Old 2011-06-28, 07:41   Link #2297
KeithKurogane
Recorder of World Lines

What I want to see is how will Becky and Milly react to each other... since they're both in-love with Cinque...
(Hoping that Gaul will enter the scene and will sweep Becky off her feet to take her to the nearest Church or something... XD)
Old 2011-06-28, 09:03   Link #2298
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What I want to see is how will Becky and Milly react to each other... since they're both in-love with Cinque...
(Hoping that Gaul will enter the scene and will sweep Becky off her feet to take her to the nearest Church or something... XD)
I'd think Gaul would be more interested in Nanami than Becky (Millhi did say that Cinque should invite both Nanami and Becky if they had the chance).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 09:19   Link #2299
justsomeguy

Being the only normal person in the cast would not bode well for Becky. Everybody else has some sort of combat capability, except for Ricotta who's a genius.

Old 2011-06-28, 09:56   Link #2300
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Lousy internet connection...

Quote:
You know, Gaurr is going to have to get away from the Color Girls first. That's his harem, and I don't think they're going to give him up that easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Millimeter : *watching from a magic mirror in Flonyard* What? He didn't even do it to me when my back was turned!

Stop suggesting stuff! I've been doing a lot of photoshops lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
Yeah, basically. The memory wipe raises more questions and is unnecessary. What if Cinque took a photo with a cell phone camera (surprisingly, his phone doesn't seem to have one, or he didn't think to?), does that get wiped too? Even though he accidentally stumbled on the "correct" way to get sent back, why still the memory wipe? Good drama should not raise questions like this.
Well what have we here? Some theories and stuff while I was gone? Not to be outdone, after Dog Days ep 13 came out I spent the greater part of the past 2 days typing the following piece, honestly, after watching ep 13, all of this hit me so fast I just had to finish this in record time compared to the IS editorial.

Gentlemen, if you ever had a question about Dog days, give this a read:
Mangatron goes Deep Striker on Dog Days

Done in my patented interview style, I theorize the heck out of those lingering questions, that only has me dying for an official answer from the D-Days creators on if any of this is true. If you like that piece, share it with anyone you know that watched Dog Days, it just might actually make sense now
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, fantasy, harem, shonen