Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-06, 22:11   Link #961
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
What? A wimp that gets killed fairly easily? Go ahead say it.
What rhymes with wimp ?

Apparently Sparda got captured and is now imprisoned as Mundus' bdsm slave.

I believe the word people used is 'gimp'.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 22:38   Link #962
Used Can

As the rest have said, it's not merely the hair or the design itself. It's everything. The only resemblance the new guy has with Dante is the name, the red coat and he probably is half-demon too.

This is the same as if I were to make a new DBZ, and take Goku and make him completely edgy and then say this is supposed to be Goku, because I say so and if you don't like it, then fuck you. Or if, say, I were to take Sergeant Bosco and turn him into some rapper gangsta and all he has of the original is the haricut, the beard and the bling. I could also take Bond, turn him into some kind of chav vigilante who happens to like Vodka Martini and works for some organisation.

I understand change, but what's the point of taking a character and turning it into an entirely different character? Why not make a different game with a similar setting, or something like DMC4 with a character that isn't Dante as MC?

But well, they're probably aiming at the fans of titles like "No More Heroes," "inFamous," "God of War" with MCs that are "hardcore". Mind you, I like those titles too, but I also enjoy variety in terms of MC's personalities. That said, considering that those types of MCs are the rage these days, I wouldn't be surprised if DMC5 brought in new fans who wouldn't have played the game when the original Dante wasn't the MC (even though he was badass enough already).
Old 2013-01-06, 23:12   Link #963
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I've heard about that scene with the wig for a while now, but it's my first time seeing any footage/screenshots of it. All I can say is "Wow. Really, Ninja Theory?" I couldn't give two ****s about the hair. That's just a shot at the fanbase. The hair was a complaint when the first trailer came out. But more importantly fans were wondering if this was gonna be Devil May Cry in terms of gameplay and spirit. Gameplay? Well from what I played in the demo it's not. It doesn't have the speed, depth or challenge of the orignal games. Spirit? This games is trying too hard to be cool with this anti-establishment theme it's got going. Dante so far just comes off as a jackass. Original Dante may have been a jackass but he was still likeable.

That's just from what I've seen so far. Game comes out on the 15th.
Old 2013-01-06, 23:41   Link #964
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
No I'm just not one of the people complaining about the new dante's looks or personality. The only thing I hate so far is the gameplay.

Personally I'm glad they decided to throw this in. Don't like the new dante then piss off, stop complaining about it and don't bother to look into it. Mean while me and the people who don't mind a change will... hopefuly enjoy it.

His personality is supose to fit with the setting. and that whole "FUCK YOU" Scene i'm pretty sure he only keeps saying it to piss off the monster.
A new look and character would be nice if this was... you know, a new series with its own name, but it's not.

Ninja Theory is using the name of an already established franchise as a PR crutch, but they're not paying any respect towards the property they are using at all.

And I think this scene gives quite a message quite different from "ignore it if you don't like it". Considering many people already stopped caring about the design change, all this did was remind them just to rub it into their faces. This isn't telling the fanbase to look past it, it's actual trolling by a professional.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 23:48   Link #965
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Ninja Theory is using the name of an already established franchise as a PR crutch, but they're not paying any respect towards the property they are using at all.
In all fairness, from what I understand, Capcom themselves asked them to do that, in order to appeal more to Western fans.
I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom realised DMC sold better in the West than in Japan, and decided to focus more on our side. However, considering the types of MCs you see these days in Western video games and comics, they probably decided to remake Dante into some edgy guy.
For all we know, it could actually work for them, since Western gamers do like those type of MCs and the anti-establishment settings are also very popular these days in the West.

That said, NT's reaction to the fans' complaints has indeed been very unprofessional. However, considering they may be targeting a different audience and not the fanbase of the original games, they probably simply don't give a fuck and believe they'll look even more hardcore and cool to the new fans by making fun of the old fans who liked the "quirky" old Dante instead of the current "hardcore" one.
Old 2013-01-07, 00:03   Link #966
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
In all fairness, from what I understand, Capcom themselves asked them to do that, in order to appeal more to Western fans.
I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom realised DMC sold better in the West than in Japan, and decided to focus more on our side. However, considering the types of MCs you see these days in Western video games and comics, they probably decided to remake Dante into some edgy guy.
For all we know, it could actually work for them, since Western gamers do like those type of MCs and the anti-establishment settings are also very popular these days in the West.
There was an interview with Alex Garland and he talked about working with Ninja Theory on Enslaved; apparently even then Ninja Theory had a thing for creating asshole characters. He pretty much had to over turn the whole thing.

Now that they're writing the story for DmC themselves, this is their chance to prove that they could write that kind of character.

Lolz, the keyword this time seems to be 'edgy'
Old 2013-01-07, 00:26   Link #967
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

According to Gamefaqs Alex Garland is credited as Story Supervisor in the opening credits.
Old 2013-01-07, 00:31   Link #968
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
According to Gamefaqs Alex Garland is credited as Story Supervisor in the opening credits.
Supervisor yes, but before that they clearly showed Ninja Theory's big name as the writers in the credits.
Old 2013-01-07, 00:42   Link #969
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Clearly Ninja Theory wanted everyone to know they were responsible for such lines like

"The world is your b****, as am I. The only thing left to do is take it by the hair, bend it over, and f***"

Yeah.

I'll just leave this link here

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-...y-cry/65109312
Old 2013-01-07, 00:46   Link #970
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That sounds totally edgy man
Old 2013-01-07, 00:53   Link #971
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Kinda reminded me of the scene from Shark Attack 3. Can't post youtube link since it might be inappropriate lol.
Old 2013-01-07, 00:55   Link #972
defki

Holy hell so this gifs were real? This is a joke. That's not a jab that's pissing on the faces of the fans. How this game gets any support is fucking beyond me. I swear NT is the only company that can shit on the fanbase, dumbing down gameplay and still get support from the media.

And then they throw this kind of pathetic excuses.

New devil may cry will teach casuals the magic of pro gaming, entry bar is very low

yep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WvXYnDdnR4

The magic of pro, smh.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 01:08   Link #973
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Well first reviews are out:

http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/201...-are-positive/

Last edited by KleenexGhost; 2013-01-07 at 01:24.
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 15:44   Link #974
MAX_COLA_POWER!

It's too bad the PSN doesn't have a rent options for new games, because I may not want to buy this game, but it looks interesting enough to try it out.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:29   Link #975
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I'll read it later on my way to work, but tell me they've used the words 'edgy' and 'Shakespearean' somewhere in there ?
Old 2013-01-07, 16:38   Link #976
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Positive reviews =/= Selling well

The fans are displeased, and will likely not support this travesty.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:50   Link #977
defki

DMC fans =/= casuals. As long as it's appealing enough people will buy it. Heavenly Sword is a nice example.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 17:26   Link #978
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Kinda reminded me of the scene from Shark Attack 3. Can't post youtube link since it might be inappropriate lol.
You mean "How about if we go home and I eat your O_0#D?"

Although I would prefer Dante imitating Jaws's "Smile you son of #!#"$#!!"
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 18:31   Link #979
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
DMC fans =/= casuals. As long as it's appealing enough people will buy it. Heavenly Sword is a nice example.
When you take in account that DMC fanbase is basically the fans themselves, and few casuals here and there, all that is left for DmC are casuals and few pro-DMC players.

DMC4 sold more than any DMC, and yet peformed poorly (~2.7millions). 5 Millions would be the ideal considering the production costs.

The general agreement is that we're better without this DMC.
Old 2013-01-07, 18:43   Link #980
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

I just really don't get the hate toward this game.

Was it the same with Devil May Cry 4 ? Cause it wasn't "Dante" either as the main character...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote