AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 21 20.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 47.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 20.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.98%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-26, 09:04   Link #81
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

And after that he still used the cell for paying a Taxi going down to a dangerous 7 cents, lol...

Old 2009-04-26, 09:44   Link #82
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And after that he still used the cell for paying a Taxi going down to a dangerous 7 cents, lol...
i think that may be the reason he got killed. After he called a cab with 7 cents remaining he called Juiz and sent a SMS to his mistress, surely that costs more than 7 cents (unless the phones they use are free of charge).
Old 2009-04-26, 11:17   Link #83
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
It's true they are all males. I guess it would have been a mess if there were naked women too XD.

The things that puzzles me the most is how Akira managed to gather all of them there without causing any suspicion. there's no way he could do that alone, but it looks like those NEETs knew him well. Even supposing that they were tricked into going there, someone had to force them to strip themselves naked, i guess they had to do so to be sure no-one could use a mobile phone to call for help.

Hey wait maybe akira's idea to save Japan wasn't killing them but reeducating them, forcing them to get out of their houses stripping them from their easy lives and then forcing them to watch a movie about what a wonderful thing is working and being useful to society?
Actually this make sense! °° All those NEETs didn't seem afraid of being killed, they didn't ask for mercy or anything, rather than scared they were angry, displeased, uncomfortable. You don't say "i'm going to kill you" if you know you are the one that's going to be killed, their reactions match more with the idea they were forced to do something against their will.

Still there must be some purchases he did that aren't listed. He must have paid someone to help in such endeavor. Also he planned to keep all those NEETs alive for 2 weeks but where they were supposed to sleep, where there enough restrooms for 20.000 persons in that cramped place? @_@
Maybe they didn't know they were going to die and only realised in the last minutes or something?

Anyway, i don't think all those NEETS are dead. Surely someone would have noticed? It's like Hamstar said, most of them must have had relatives, and someone would've connected 20000 missing NEETS to Careless Monday. Atleast most of the NEETS relatives would, I think.

I think Akira kidnapped them to protect them from another Selecao that wanted them dead, and brainwashed them all to forget afterwards by perhaps using the cinema film, but your theory sounds plausable.
Old 2009-04-26, 12:34   Link #84
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...he planned to keep all those NEETs alive for 2 weeks but where they were supposed to sleep, where there enough restrooms for 20.000 persons in that cramped place?
There are ten portable toilets in one image from ep3:

But I'm not sure if 20,000 people would fit into the space he had there. I think this bit is as much symbolic as actual: just indicating that someone held them, without being totally realistic about details. Or else they are held in various locations.

As for naked, if you look at the ep1 image, there are plenty of people whom you can see to be wearing shorts there, too.

On 2channel, someone suggests that their phones were taken to prevent another Selecao faction wiping their memories preparatory to using them as troops. On the other hand, maybe the phones are all piled up there because they have already been used for that purpose.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-26, 13:43   Link #85
SkoolRumble4Ya

Damn this show is pretty nuts. I still don't think Akira killed those neets. He doesn't seem like the type of person.
Old 2009-04-26, 16:10   Link #86
Kaguya
an idler

According to the special site, it is said that the picture of Akira of the episode 1 is a scene where NEETS is loaded to a container ship.
At the same time, it is explained that a part of NEETS are back in Japan.
That is, NEETS is not killed.
The connection between Careless Monday and NEETS is unknown.
Careless Monday is on November 22, 2010, the shopping mall was purchased on December 10, 2010, and there are 18 days.
Old 2009-04-26, 17:02   Link #87
The_Dominion

The only logicial conclusion I can get from all the information presented this far is:

Akira was involved with the NEETS, and was responsible for storing and feeding them.

This raises some questions, why the NEETs? and why a shopping mall?

Based off of what others have said, it seems the NEETs are viewed negatively by Japan. So Akira, assuming he is more a savior figure, figures out a way to save them. So he stores them at the shopping mall, because the mall has a theater and a lot of space. This is important because the movie he purchased was for 80,000 which seems high for any movie really. So, then why not make it a special movie that is part of the brain wipe process. This seems an efficient way to brain wipe 20,000 people which have some psychological disorder. It appears then perhaps Akira was wiped with them. I think perhaps the clothes removing part was about removing any personally identifiable information on their person. So when the 20,000 NEETs freshly brain wiped are returned to society they no longer have the same fear they had before. Perhaps they were even transported elsehwere around the world like Akira was after this process to give them a new start on life, or perhaps save them from some force that is out for their harm.

Seems plausible right? And it somewhat explains why he may have been naked in the first episode.
Old 2009-04-26, 17:16   Link #88
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dominion View Post
The only logicial conclusion I can get from all the information presented this far is:

Akira was involved with the NEETS, and was responsible for storing and feeding them.

This raises some questions, why the NEETs? and why a shopping mall?

Based off of what others have said, it seems the NEETs are viewed negatively by Japan. So Akira, assuming he is more a savior figure, figures out a way to save them. So he stores them at the shopping mall, because the mall has a theater and a lot of space. This is important because the movie he purchased was for 80,000 which seems high for any movie really. So, then why not make it a special movie that is part of the brain wipe process. This seems an efficient way to brain wipe 20,000 people which have some psychological disorder. It appears then perhaps Akira was wiped with them. I think perhaps the clothes removing part was about removing any personally identifiable information on their person. So when the 20,000 NEETs freshly brain wiped are returned to society they no longer have the same fear they had before. Perhaps they were even transported elsehwere around the world like Akira was after this process to give them a new start on life, or perhaps save them from some force that is out for their harm.

Seems plausible right? And it somewhat explains why he may have been naked in the first episode.
it's possible that akira arrange 20000 NEETs to be shipped to the 3rd world to work in sweatshops/slavery and the only way he could do this and get away with it is by brain wiping them. It's possible that the film he purchased was intended to brain wipe the 20000 NEETs.

As I mentioned NEETs are scapegoats for the economy and removing them perhaps might improve the country. That is probably how Akira intended to improve his nation.
Old 2009-04-26, 18:51   Link #89
Ghostfriendly

The movie could also be a way of getting the NEETs to the stadium in the first place, by distributing copies to them in their home, and implanting a suggestion to go to the shopping mall without resistance, and past the DVD on to their NEET friends. the stripping could have been done to remove dangerous items, or simply to insult them and crush their dignity, a familiar tactic. It could have been a rare movie of special significance to Akira, or an arbitary price, since death games like this usually have many random rules.

It seems like Akira wasn't involved with Careless Monday, but that might have been the work of a Selecao who thought paranioa, fear, and increased police power were what the country needed.

The real question is, why is the game being run? A psycological experiment, or something to really help the world via common people?
Old 2009-04-26, 20:09   Link #90
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Just started watching the series today. Its very good. The plot of the story is very interesting. Can definitely see how this show is like GitS in an way. From the same director.
Old 2009-04-26, 20:21   Link #91
Kaguya
an idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Saki was already disturbed that Akira hadn't come down from the booth. I think she's crying because she thought she was being politely dumped. There's no dramatic purpose in her crying over the movie.
This movie is a special movie which makes Saki remember pains.
I think that the reason for having cried while Saki saw the movie is that she remembered Ryosuke who loved before.
Saki and Akira have passed only one day, after meeting.
Therefore, I think that Saki does not have such deep love feeling yet to Akira that she want to cry.
The scene of the toilet was so.

Spoiler for the novel:
As a story, I assume that Ryosuke is a supporter or Mr.OUTSIDE or Saki's sister is a supporter, and if opposed to Akira, I will regard it as interesting.
Old 2009-04-26, 21:17   Link #92
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
This movie is a special movie which makes Saki remember pains. I think that the reason for having cried while Saki saw the movie is that she remembered Ryosuke who loved before. Saki and Akira have passed only one day, after meeting. Therefore, I think that Saki does not have such deep love feeling yet to Akira that she want to cry. The scene of the toilet was so.
That makes sense. Now I get it. It did seem a bit extreme, even though she was ticked off that he hadn't come down yet. Still a bit of a mixture, going back and forth from Akira to crying over the film to Akira again, but what you say makes the most sense.

Within the anime, we do know that there is someone she "always loved" who liked this film, and we know from how awkward she was speaking about him on the bench that this was probably Ryousuke.

Also good stuff about the timing: mall not purchased until 18 days after Careless Monday. I translated a table of #9's cell phone account from the Japanese wiki, which is beginning to fill up with more info than it has had:

For anyone who doesn't know, one yen equals about one US cent, more or less.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-27, 00:50   Link #93
Jarmel

I'm loving the Western references such as Scarface and Dawn of the Dead. Yea I think the Detective used up his balance and didn't check because if you see, he didn't check his balance after asking Juiz that information which might have cost him. He also might have violated the game "rules" thus getting the axe. This has been absolutely amazing. So many questions but we are also getting answers which is great. Yea I also wonder why Saki just left him but I'll just go with the "insecure" excuse.

It would seem that Akira wouldn't have killed the NEETS as he was smiling in the photo so unless he enjoys killing people or believed he was doing the country a favor, he wouldn't be smiling. However the NEETS wrote messages on the wall wishing he was dead, so I have no clue. Also if he thought what he was doing was a good thing, it wouldn't give him a reason to wipe his own memories.

It's quite possible that someone else wiped his memories(another Selecao?) in order to get rid of him and make him wave a gun in front of the White House so he would be arrested and out of the picture. Also the fact that there was another missile attack implies three things. First is that Akira ordered the first one and the copycat botched up the second one when giving the order thus explaining how one person died in the second attack. The other being that Akira planned a bunch of events and we're going to see it unfold in the anime(thus making Akira's past self possibly the main villain). The final being that it shows that Juez or whoever is running this, doesn't have God powers and stuff happens that they don't have control over. It would make even more sense if he was the "Judge"(the guy supervising the other Selecao) and someone wanted to get rid of him for awhile. It might be against the rules to have the Judge killed off but maybe not making him have amnesia or forcing him to do things. There is also the whole brain washing aspect(maybe through their cell phones which could be why Akira had them through all their cellphones away) which would explain how they can force possibly normal police officers to kill random people. It would also explain why the Detective's wife killed him after getting the text message(even though you can use jealousy too).

The way I figure it, there are three separate but key mysteries. The first is how he ended up in front of the White House. The second is about the NEETS which is tied to Careless Monday. The third is about the whole program and who is running it and why. I think one and two are linked but three is completely seperate. The first two seem like a feud with another Selecao and the third might have to do with his past.

So next episode we prob are going to get history on some of the other Selecao and he will go and investigate. We also now know that he doesn't have elite fighting skills so it should be interesting. Seriously if this keeps up, someone deserves an award for this.

Where is the license for this already? It seems US fans would love this show both due to the references and it's overall Western feel.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2009-04-27 at 02:26.
Old 2009-04-27, 01:43   Link #94
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I am actually of the opinion that his target was none other than Saki herself. I mean she's was pretty much alone in front of the White House fence, and firing a shot into the White House lawn doesn't really do much.

For me, the climax of the story isn't exactly him knowing his own identity, rather when he realizes the reason why he suddenly got his memory wiped through the phone. At the center of this climax I expect Saki to be, perhaps his true target the day he went naked with a gun in front of Penn avenue.
Old 2009-04-27, 09:25   Link #95
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Whoa. Crazy. This series already requires a second watch to truly understand and appreciate it all.
Old 2009-04-27, 14:29   Link #96
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
<snip>

Also good stuff about the timing: mall not purchased until 18 days after Careless Monday. I translated a table of #9's cell phone account from the Japanese wiki, which is beginning to fill up with more info than it has had:

For anyone who doesn't know, one yen equals about one US cent, more or less.
But the expenditure list isn't adding up for the NEET disappearance being solely IX's fault.

The portable toilets, transportation and clothing for 20,000 people aren't on the bill. Also, the bill to license the mindwipe program for 20,000 cellphones not on his list either. It could have been a group effort for the disappearance.

The missile launch is also not a part of his bill either.

Maybe Juiz is the Supporter.
Old 2009-04-27, 15:21   Link #97
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But the expenditure list isn't adding up for the NEET disappearance being solely IX's fault. The portable toilets, transportation and clothing for 20,000 people aren't on the bill. Also, the bill to license the mindwipe program for 20,000 cellphones not on his list either. It could have been a group effort for the disappearance. The missile launch is also not a part of his bill either.
Maybe Juiz is the Supporter.
1. There's that intriguing $4 million in the middle of the list that has no detail.

2. The missile launch came before the list started, possibly in the segment intentionally erased. But there's only $12 million spent before the list, and that isn't enough.

I'm not saying I believe #9 did it. The cost of a missile launch must be pretty high, so a group effort is possible. Or conflict among the players, with #9 trying to counteract the moves he sees others making in their cellphone records.

I don't have any evidence, but I'm wondering if that figure for "cinema films" is entertainment for the NEETs.

Interesting that the detective ended up thinking it might be the Supporter (or a Supporter?) who was behind things. So Supporter(s) have money, too?
Old 2009-04-27, 15:24   Link #98
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You know about Saki leaving and not bothering to find Akira? Do you think she just left because she figured she had to get back to her family quickly so that they wouldn't worry?
Old 2009-04-27, 19:31   Link #99
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolcat3 View Post
You know about Saki leaving and not bothering to find Akira? Do you think she just left because she figured she had to get back to her family quickly so that they wouldn't worry?

She sounded a little sad to me. I think that she thought that she was "dumped" by him.
Old 2009-04-28, 02:44   Link #100
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Nah. I thought she sounded sad because she wanted to say goodbye.
Closed Thread