AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-07-20, 15:32   Link #7521
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
One question...who/what is Antipatros?
The name is inspired from the, assumed, betrayer of Alexander the Great. For some reason his name showed up when I read about Gryphons, which Antipatros is here.
Quote:
How about the shooting spell Nanoha taught Caro?
Oh? I knew Fried had like fireball, but I don't know what this is... unless I missed it. Please elaborate.

Quote:
Thunderbird?
That was a thought actually, but that drives affinity to lightning instead of wind. Works I guess although I want to keep it consistent. It's an idea though.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 22:01   Link #7522
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Wonder if she'd act like a magnetised person in a server room
Her resistance only applies to spells specifically directed at her (her Linker Core's anti-influence does not extend beyond her physical form), so she wouldn't start erasing Device memory modules just by walking past them. Unless she got close enough to stick her hand in the magical device's innards.

This is good for the TSAB, since area-effect spells that are not specifically directed at her have a much greater chance of affecting her. A regular ring or chain type bind would fail, but a Crystal Cage or other type of offensive barrier would work, as the magic is directed at the air around her rather than at her.
Old 2009-07-20, 22:36   Link #7523
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

So she's basically... Kamijyo Touma?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 23:01   Link #7524
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Which means that for a takedown, you'd need to use non-magical means..

"Target in the open. 3 quarter value."

"I see it. Engaging."

"Target down, good kill."

"Call it."

"This is Orion. Target 'Pixie' down, repeat, Pixie down."

"Uruz Six, Orion. Copy, Pixie down."

Snipers, mused Franz, were a handy way of killing mages. But then again, he shouldn't have felt so surprised. There was a reason Ivanovich was still known as the Mage Hunter of North Point.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 23:07   Link #7525
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Her resistance only applies to spells specifically directed at her (her Linker Core's anti-influence does not extend beyond her physical form), so she wouldn't start erasing Device memory modules just by walking past them. Unless she got close enough to stick her hand in the magical device's innards.

This is good for the TSAB, since area-effect spells that are not specifically directed at her have a much greater chance of affecting her. A regular ring or chain type bind would fail, but a Crystal Cage or other type of offensive barrier would work, as the magic is directed at the air around her rather than at her.
or any other type of indirect spellcasting like stardust fall, ritual magic, or even just a sword/hammer/arrow/ball of metal.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 23:19   Link #7526
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Go in, stab with the pointy end of your device.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:29   Link #7527
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here

Send a message via MSN to The Guy Named Zeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Go in, stab with the pointy end of your device.
Using blunt force is another alternative especially if there isn't a pointy end of the device.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:30   Link #7528
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I'd stab her with my pointy device-

*is stabbed!!!!!*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:31   Link #7529
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I'd stab her with my pointy device-

*is stabbed!!!!!*
*removes his pointy device, if you know what i mean*

ufufufufufu
Old 2009-07-20, 23:34   Link #7530
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
There are alternative methods to taking out mages.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor... and if you lace some of that pasta they seem so keen on eating with Cyanide...
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 01:13   Link #7531
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
So she's basically... Kamijyo Touma?
She's a descendent of a relative of the Sankt Kaiser. There are 7 different versions of the Barrier, with the best all-round Barrier of the Saint King belonging to Vivio herself, and lesser grades or geared towards niche defences for the others.

Coincidentally, Syn has created a character who has the exact functions of the Barrier of the Sun King and belongs to descendents of the subfamily that once venerated a Saint named Sunstrider. Members of the family were persecuted towards the end of the Golden Age of Belka as Sunstrider was revealed to have been the human avatar of an Eldritch God, Kharne. The Suntriders enjoyed a brief resurgence after the destruction of Belka Capitalis, but were supposedly ruined by the Sankt Kaiser Vivio's famous Second Founding of Belka.

Later, when Midchilda forces rushed to fill the power vacuum after the Second Founding ceded to the Galactic Defence Initiative and subsequently the TSAB, they marched into the ruined homes of the Suntriders and reported that none of the Sun King's children had survived the turmoil of the Great Apocalypse.

However... With this girl, it is apparent a heir has survived to this day. And the barrier manifests in the exact manner that I had planned for this fic I'm working on too. Except the character I've created who is blessed with this barrier is as different as night and day as Syn's.

I wonder what to make of this...

EDIT: Just to clarify, I meant what can I make of this character. Long-lost cousins? Rival players for right to represent their family in the Succession War (a central theme in my fic)? Of course any inclusion of this chara would most probably mean that some aspect of her will be adapted to fit into my greater multiverse.

For that, I will need your permission, Syn. It's alright if you don't want me using and altering her.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-07-21 at 02:40.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 02:10   Link #7532
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Perhaps I should clarify that to "potential mage" rather than trained mage. Not every potential on Mid will be trained, but a much greater percentage of humans on Mid have the potential.

Nena doesn't just have no potential, she has no magic in her at all, since her Linker Core is essentially a focused, localized AMF.
Yes, this would probably be better since it's looser in terms of definition and interpretation. I'd hardly think it fair that a certain segment of Mid-childa's populace is stigmatized just because they have little to no aptitude in magic at all.

"You no magic? You noob!"

Quote:
Yes, but the instruments the TSAB uses are powered by magical energy. Those detection instruments would have a hard time working if the thing they were scanning kept negating the scans.

Whether or not they can track things other than specifically magic use is clearly displayed (they can) but also the Mid-Childan systems and technology are all based on magical energy as a power source (Fate explicitly says this during her little history lesson to Caro and Erio).
This is speculative at best.

There was a debate once (back in the old thread, I'd guess) whether TSAB, in their race towards the elimination of mass-based weaponry, actually eschewed the use of conventional energy sources as well. I don't actually remember the outcome of the debate, but I think there was not enough evidence to conclude that they did forgo electricity (from any possible source) for magical energy as the new-age power source.

There isn't much denying that mana is cleaner, but this would (probably) be accompanied by a higher cost compared to conventional energy source. Reliability is standard at best, so TSAB would probably use a combination of both magical and conventional energy sources to power their gadgetry.

(On canonical grounds, I only remember that TSAB -- in Fate's history lesson -- actually wanted to put an end to mass-based weapons race only and did not include everyday technology like local power supply, computers, and the Internet.)

Of course, in your own fiction, this is alterable at your own discretion since the converse side of the debate also did not have much canon support.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 02:53   Link #7533
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm not even going to get into that--this thing is writing a lot like a blend of crime drama and spy thriller with a dash of hardboiled detective story all blended with some CSI: Mid-Childa. ^^;
Old 2009-07-21, 04:22   Link #7534
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'm sorely tempted to create my own character now, but there's too many things in the way of that... I need to rewatch the entire series and pay closer attention to it, and figure out how everything works... plus I still need to check out all the supplementary materials like SSX... and I'm still not sure I'm ready to start making fanfiction again anyway. Blah.
Old 2009-07-21, 05:15   Link #7535
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
For that, I will need your permission, Syn. It's alright if you don't want me using and altering her.
You know, it kinda strikes me that his nickname is "Syn"...

Vivio's new boyfriend?!?!

*is SHOT*

Old 2009-07-21, 06:17   Link #7536
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
*words about descendants of the Sankt Kaiser*

EDIT: Just to clarify, I meant what can I make of this character. Long-lost cousins? Rival players for right to represent their family in the Succession War (a central theme in my fic)? Of course any inclusion of this chara would most probably mean that some aspect of her will be adapted to fit into my greater multiverse.

This has something to do with Warhammer 40,000, doesn't it?

Quote:

*is SHOT*
I'm actually a chick. I didn't think Vivio swung that way... maybe familial influence?

*gets shot also*
Old 2009-07-21, 06:31   Link #7537
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

*is SHOT*
*strangles Lowe* Don't go giving away my girl as you please.

And Kha? Quit being so confusing, dammit! You had me scratching my head wondering what on earth you were planning with Syn.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 06:37   Link #7538
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

we'll just have to call you "Thesia" then. Sorry, yo, the OC called dibs on the name usage first.
Old 2009-07-21, 07:30   Link #7539
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
This has something to do with Warhammer 40,000, doesn't it?

Anything from Kha is either mixed with WH40k, WoW or F/SN. Take anything about canon from him with extreme caution. It's like playing with plutonium marbles.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:38   Link #7540
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Psh, the comparisons between 40K and actual Nanoha canon are so easily drawn it's hard to call it a crossover as long as you don't throw to many 40K terms around.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content