gaiar31

4koma

Spoiler:
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 22:38   Link #1062
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
It amuses me just how much raging is going on about the Type 89. Sure, it's not a brilliant tank, but the team is playing with the hand that it has been dealt.
Nah, the Type 89 is too helpless to rage it. However, it's a great tank to make fun of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
So the chart is correct. And the only thing misleading about it is at larger distance wherein we expect the engagements to actually happen - Ourai tank is more screwed. And if penetration power translates over large distances basic physics says, that firefly will probably be able to snipe the StuG III before the Stug III can even go to a firing range that can damage the firefly. Well apparently our heroes are even more disadvantage than the chart says. Lol... Now, I'm really curious how they can win.
It's reasonable to hit a tank from 1500m, and the 17-pounder can penetrate even the StuG III from 2000m away. The StuG III has to be within 1000m to have a good chance of penetrating a Sherman. Our heroines can win by using tactics, tactics, and more tactics. On the Eastern Front, the Germans were at a large disadvatange in tanks from 1941-1942 and 1944-1945. Their tanks still gave a very good account of themselves despite this because they were much better tacticians. It helps that Ooarai only has to knock out the 76mm tank, and Saunders hasn't been shy from using it in combat.

The StuG III is also very useful because it takse the place of the Pz. IVG in the chart that Zaku II posted earlier. A regular Sherman is about equal to a T-34/76.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
And I just noticed something, is it true that 38(t) happens to be the flag team of Team Ourai? Or this is another misinformation tactic that Miho is doing? The Saunders certainly think so but, I wonder what the logic is in that because according to the chart its their second worst tank.
It is the flag. You can see the little flag on the tank with the turtle on it. It's actually a very good choice because its lack of firepower means that you can safely keep it out of combat, but it still has enough punch to defend itself and it's fast enough to try to run away. Another good choice would have been the StuG III because if they lost that, they're pretty much toast anyways. Ooarai needs the edge it provides.
Old 2012-11-07, 22:41   Link #1063
jwai

Yes, I'm aware that the Type 89 is near useless, but I don't imagine that the story would nearly be as good without the underdog factor. Would get a bit boring if all the armchair tank nuts had their way and Oorai got the best kit from the start.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 23:05   Link #1064
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's reasonable to hit a tank from 1500m, and the 17-pounder can penetrate even the StuG III from 2000m away. The StuG III has to be within 1000m to have a good chance of penetrating a Sherman. Our heroines can win by using tactics, tactics, and more tactics. On the Eastern Front, the Germans were at a large disadvatange in tanks from 1941-1942 and 1944-1945. Their tanks still gave a very good account of themselves despite this because they were much better tacticians. It helps that Ooarai only has to knock out the 76mm tank, and Saunders hasn't been shy from using it in combat.

The StuG III is also very useful because it takse the place of the Pz. IVG in the chart that Zaku II posted earlier. A regular Sherman is about equal to a T-34/76.
The more facts I read, the more I see why Ooarai is disadvantaged and why most schools will probably not take them seriously at first. Better tactics and being underestimated are probably the only aces Team Ooarai has now.

Oh well its fun to root for the underdog anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post

People are harsh on the Type 89 because it is simply not suited for anything. Anything it can do, practically anyone else could do better. The only thing even vaguely positive that can be said about it on the team is that the team's capabilities won't be in any way harmed when it gets taken out.
Which is why I think its the perfect bait.You can lose it and it won't damage Team Ooarai's firepower much.

And at least the volleyball team have enough cunning to make it useful judging from their performance against St. Gloriana. And beside, it is nice placeholder since without the type-89 well be looking at 4 vs 10. I think every bit counts at this point even if its one of the worst tank out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It is the flag. You can see the little flag on the tank with the turtle on it. It's actually a very good choice because its lack of firepower means that you can safely keep it out of combat, but it still has enough punch to defend itself and it's fast enough to try to run away. Another good choice would have been the StuG III because if they lost that, they're pretty much toast anyways. Ooarai needs the edge it provides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
The problem with using Miho's tank as the flag is the fact that the Panzer IV is really their second-best tank. They truly cannot afford to keep it sidelined holding the flag: they simply do not have the firepower to spare. Yet the flag-carrier is too important to risk sending out into fights. Also, Miho is unquestionably their best tactician: she needs to be out there where she can see what's going on, and give quick orders. So the Panzer IV has to be out in the fight, yet the flag-carrier cannot be risked in the fight. So someone else has to carry the flag.
Well, I defer to you guys on this matter. I can see the logic of the move now, the game ends if the flag tank is shot down and thus it needs to be in the sideline. And judging from the last shot of the battle 38(t) is sitting on the sideline. Not, that they can help with Momo's epic shooting and their tanks penetration power so 38(t) is not missed.

Still even if Panzer IV isn't the flag team if I were the enemy I would probably still hunt it down first to cripple Ooarai's operation. Its still the commander tank of Team Ooarai after all and if it was taken out of battle I predict that they are going to quickly lose morale and fall into pieces. Beside that since the tank is not moving, Miho can't survey the terrain more and their strategy is less effective.

Oh... I guess, this answers why Team Panzer IV cannot be the flag team ever. That would be putting everything in one basket after all or putting a bulleye on it. It would be best if the enemy doesn't know its strategic importance to the team so that Panzer IV can do freely dart around the battlefield. And I guess that it makes a good tactic in a way, they can change which tank holds the flag to keep the enemy guessing and to make their strategy more flexible. But, still keeping the protagonist tank as important unofficial flag of Ooarai.

And this set-up opens Team Panzer IV to try suicide tactics that will net them victory.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2012-11-08 at 01:41. Reason: spelling
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:04   Link #1065
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 05 - Liberion Me From Hell

The first 14ish minutes of this episode were pretty nice. Lots of character moments, especially for Yukari. Also a closer look at the culture of this world. Still tank-centric, of course, but the human element was pretty strong. Yukari's not bad for an amateur video editor - for something she compiled on the fly, the title card and credits were well done. Too bad it had to cut out before it got to the good parts. (And that's one point in the Miho/Yukari yuri file. I'll take what I can get.)

Saunders may be stereotypically American, but it's a very Japanese-flavored Americanness (of course). Rather Fourze-like. I guess I have to take into account that it's technically a military school, but it doesn't quite match up with what I think of when American high schools come to mind in the way it's structured. I am glad Kei's being played like a Charlotte Yeager kind of American - friendly, laid-back, just a little trigger happy. It's a stereotype of Americans I'm mostly okay with.

I realize it's probably in the rules of the tournament, but I'm a little disappointed that the tanks lost their gaudiness. Even the gold one. It gave them more of an impact (probably to me only.) Unlike Teru the Whirlwind, Miho and Maho aren't necessarily meeting up the finals - I'm not sure if that's better or worse. The tank cafe was clever - I know there are real restaurants like that, and seeing a restaurant that's not a maid cafe in anime is intriguing. Not to say a tank maid cafe is out of the question.

Now, we have Saunders hunting Oorai, and two of the teams have been newly named Rabbit and Duck. I can only see a very looney outcome with this set of variables in play. I wonder if Kei's sense of humor will sync up with my own. I'll find out... in two weeks.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:09   Link #1066
gaiar31

MOD WOT

gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:55   Link #1067
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
By the way, Pravda are the current champions right? So why aren't they seeded, as usually expected in tournaments like this?
Old 2012-11-08, 01:00   Link #1068
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Yes, I'm aware that the Type 89 is near useless, but I don't imagine that the story would nearly be as good without the underdog factor. Would get a bit boring if all the armchair tank nuts had their way and Oorai got the best kit from the start.
Oorai's vehicles from the start were as outdated and outclassed as they could get. But you know what, at least some of those vehicles can actually give Oorai a fighting chance. The Type 89 is none of that. It cannot stand up to anything, period. The vehicle itself is more of a burden than benefit.

You know, even underdogs tend to have a chance. Unfortunately, the Type 89 doesn't give you that chance, and only serve to make a bad situation worse. I am not even sure if it could even serve as an effective roadblock.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 01:45   Link #1069
fukarming

I am wondering, although spying is not against the rule, what can the school being spied from do if they capture the spy? Can they torture the spy for information? At the very least can they imprison the spy at least until the match is finished?
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 01:56   Link #1070
Marina2

Why I start to think that the director will pull out the situation where Oorai has only two tanks left - Type 89 and other tank ,maybe M3 Lee - (Panzer IV is out) and Miho has to use every cell in her brain to think out the way to beat enemy boss tank/flag tank with those two.

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-11-08 at 04:01. Reason: fixed Panzer VI >>> Panzer IV
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 03:45   Link #1071
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Why I start to think that the director will pull out the situation where Oorai has only two tanks left - Type 89 and other tank ,maybe M3 Lee - (Panzer VI is out) and Miho has to use every cell in her brain to think out the way to beat enemy boss tank/flag tank with those two.
But... You can't destroy a tank that has plot armor unless it is the last tank...

Well, if what you said becomes true, then the question is: How many enemies SHOULD be left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I am wondering, although spying is not against the rule, what can the school being spied from do if they capture the spy? Can they torture the spy for information? At the very least can they imprison the spy at least until the match is finished?
Most likely information gathering from the spy's school. If she don't say...., well, I leave it to your own mind.
Old 2012-11-08, 03:48   Link #1072
Sumeragi
Banned

What plot armor?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 03:55   Link #1073
Sumeragi
Banned

That's the point I'm asking: Is there any indication that there is plot armor?
Old 2012-11-08, 03:57   Link #1074
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
What plot armor?
Being protected thanks to the plot... Meaning temporary indestructible till being the last, or with the flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
That's the point I'm asking: Is there any indication that there is plot armor?
Not really. Just my opinion...

But even if there is no plot armor, most likely they will still win thanks to the Miho being the commander.
Old 2012-11-08, 03:59   Link #1075
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

So someone dug around the net code on the official website, and found some interesting things about Team C's most liked characters:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by translation
Erwin = 松本里子 = Matsumoto Satoko
Caesar = 鈴木貴子 = Suzuki Takako
This appears to be their real names, and I'm positive that these are not the names of their VA's.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 04:03   Link #1076
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
So someone dug around the net code on the official website, and found some interesting things about Team C's most liked characters:

Images

This appears to be their real names, and I'm positive that these are not the names of their VA's.
Guess net codes are really able to bring about the hidden truth behind some names...

Well, that aside, is there a tank cafe like in the anime?(Since the staffs make the map almost, if not, all of them, the same as the real map...)
Old 2012-11-08, 05:27   Link #1077
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

*listening to a rip of the Enter Enter Mission single*

Enter Enter Mission full version is such a joy to hear. But the song I'm listening to the most is the other track, whose title I have yet to know. It's a song about tanks with each of the girls singing in turn with their own stanza before singing in chorus at the end (Mako and Yukari singing is a joy to behold ). Incidentally, it's the same song used in the early Girls Und Panzer PV's.

Also, something most interesting dug up from the official giveout page: Primers for Oarai, featuring character sheets, including their favorite tanks.

Images

Some interesting things of note:

- President Anzu likes, of all things the T28 (aka T95) Super Heavy Tank WoT players will recognize this as the moving, impenetrable wall of death.
- Many of the girls love their American tanks, with the M36 being a popular choice, and even the M47 Patton.
- Erwin likes the Jagdpanther. Fine taste in tank indeed.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-11-08 at 07:26.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 09:55   Link #1078
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
On my screen it's readable (Vaio 13.3in 1600x900). It doesn't give any real clues to what happened, just says that Kuromorimine ("Black Forest Peak") Academy for Women won the national senshadou championship nine years in a row, but victory escaped them last year. Miho was on their team last year.

Her elder sister Maho is still the team's commanding officer and is an internationally famous figure in senshadou, often mentioned in the media. Their Nishizumi family has given its name to a school of senshadou. She is played by Tanaka Rie.
Lol another German-esque role for Tanaka Rie...
Old 2012-11-08, 10:23   Link #1079
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I find it neat that amongst all this moe there's an actual attempt by the producers to hook those more interested in how a famous daughter of tanks ended up running from it. 3-dimensional stories have all been forgotten these recent years.
Old 2012-11-08, 12:01   Link #1080
Sumeragi
Banned

What about Saki?

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks