Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-18, 03:51   Link #481
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan View Post
Given there would be no "right time" or "moment too soon" if Gift was de-universalized in the first place, Haruhiko's dad could conceivably just keep lying about Haruhiko's age if necessary. I'm sure it would be possible.

I realize it would erase the whole premise of the show (and would, again, be pretty unmarketable).

I am genuinely curious: do you dislike my ideas because they would produce an unmarketable plot
That pretty much sums up my thoughts and concerns.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 08:18   Link #482
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil View Post
Um, where's Lamune? I did a Edit->Find, but it returned no results (using both "Lamune" and "Ramune" [the Romanji spelling] as search criteria).
Yeah, I've finished the DVD version pretty recently and I forgot to add it I added some this morning, but forgot about Nanami-chan. Shame shame Although the real point was to have a look at the OTHER series.

Damn... I'll try to catch up to the discussion on-topic but I fear I got worn down till next episode.
Old 2006-12-18, 12:21   Link #483
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I realize it would erase the whole premise of the show (and would, again, be pretty unmarketable). That doesn't belay the fact that figuring out how to de-universalize Gift's power would have avoided a lot of unnecessary aggravation, both through Gift abuse and innocent Gifts involuntarily revoked.

I am genuinely curious: do you dislike my ideas because they would produce an unmarketable plot or because they are on a less stable moral foundation than what we have already been presented with? I am very willing to concede that the former does not make for an interesting discussion.
It's simply that figuring out how to make Gift's power "better" isn't much of a feat. We, the viewers, now have the benefit of the completed story, with all the lessons and illustrations already explained to us. It's like dramatic irony. To say "it would have been way easier if she hadn't even made Gift to begin with" or "wouldn't it have saved a lot of trouble if only Haruhiko could have used Gift?" are non-statements -- if this were anime, I'd picture a pan falling on your head, or all the other characters falling over. There are just some things it makes no sense to question at this point, no matter how right or wrong you may be. It's not about the plot's marketability, but its very existance. It's like saying "the characters in this show would have been better off if there were no plot at all!" -- again, I can only see that as an example of deadpan humour. You can question why Haruhiko's mother did things the way she did, but it's way too convenient to use the full knowledge of the plot to "go back in time" and change the basic premise -- how could she have known how things would turn out? I'm sure that Gift, as created, Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time (TM). She may have been a magician, but she was no god. Like the characters in the show, we just have to accept it at this point.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 16:08   Link #484
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Maybe you're willing to force yourself to accept things as they are, but I'm not.

I'm sorry you don't like discussion about what could have been done better by the characters in the show, but quite honestly there is absolutely nothing else interesting to talk about, as evidenced by multiple people wishing there was more discussion in this thread.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 17:03   Link #485
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Maybe you're willing to force yourself to accept things as they are, but I'm not.

I'm sorry you don't like discussion about what could have been done better by the characters in the show, but quite honestly there is absolutely nothing else interesting to talk about, as evidenced by multiple people wishing there was more discussion in this thread.
When have I ever been against discussing what could have been done better/differently by the characters in the show? If not that, then what exactly have we been discussing for the 400+ posts in the thread? Besides, everyone else on AnimeSuki is more than able to chime in for themselves as they see fit -- don't blame me. Whether deliberately or otherwise, you're completely avoiding the cause-and-effect logic problem I've explained so many times now. It has nothing at all to do with "what could have been done better by the characters in the show" in the slightest -- after all, that very topic has come up repeatedly in this thread and not been similarly dismissed. So, I don't know how else to explain the issue. Perhaps others will venture an attempt.
Old 2006-12-18, 17:08   Link #486
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I think there has been plenty of discussion (and that we might have scared some people off ) , but realy ... i don't think it is worth talking about a scenario "it would have been better if Gift was never created in the first place". It is like speculating what would become of GSD if we remove the Gundams.

And also there is the fact perhaps she couldn't make the Gift any better. She was at death's doorstep, so how about forgiving her about not thinking trough all the possible scenarios of "what if". She couldn't be there for Haruhiko herself, so she left behind something that he could use one day to bring himself happiness. The irony of this is ofc the fact that Haruhiko (Riko) is suffering now because of the thing she left behind, but this is an essential part of the plot(heck, it is the plot itself), so by removing it we get nothing. Series ends at ep 8/9 (minus 4 episodes that were Gift related, so we are left with 4-5 episodes)and thats it.
Old 2006-12-18, 17:18   Link #487
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Whether deliberately or otherwise, you're completely avoiding the cause-and-effect logic problem I've explained so many times now.
I assure you my avoidance of your problem was not deliberate, because I wasn't even aware you had presented such a thing. Would you mind summing it up in a sentence or two so I can give it a proper response?
Old 2006-12-18, 17:42   Link #488
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I assure you my avoidance of your problem was not deliberate, because I wasn't even aware you had presented such a thing. Would you mind summing it up in a sentence or two so I can give it a proper response?
What the...? You've replied to every post I've made on the subject so far, but now you need an executive summary of the point I've been making all along so you can give it a "proper response"? Why did I bother writing the posts then?! </exasperated>

*pan falls from sky, knocking me out* GONG!!!

(Maybe I'm getting too old for this... )
Old 2006-12-18, 17:44   Link #489
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

I assumed you were responding to my posts in an effort to instigate discussion because you disagreed with my views on what would have been the best thing for any given character to do.

Was this a wrong assumption?
Old 2006-12-18, 18:01   Link #490
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I assumed you were responding to my posts in an effort to instigate discussion because you disagreed with my views on what would have been the best thing for any given character to do.

Was this a wrong assumption?
YES! That's what I said over and over and over again! I said that it's pointless not that you're wrong. As Skyfall said, if you take the Gundams out of a Gundam show, you have nothing left to discuss. If you take the Gift (as portrayed) out of Gift, you have nothing left but idle speculation. It may be better if Gift's effects were localized, but who cares? It's pointless because there'd be no plot! And there's that executive summary you wanted!

I still find it hard to believe that you haven't been doing this on purpose just to push my buttons, but either way, hats off to you.
Old 2006-12-18, 18:07   Link #491
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Oh, is that your issue? I thought I had reponded to that already when I said - more than once - that there's absolutely nothing else interesting to discuss, so we might as well.

EDIT: Also, analyzing what characters could have done can enhance one's understanding of the show. Thinking some action/non-action was wrong can leads to analyzation of why that action/non-action was done, and perhaps one will discover motives or circumstances they were not previously aware of (or simply not considered important), either via their own research or discussion with other people.
Old 2006-12-19, 01:11   Link #492
soul_stealer

About the game......

umm....I know this is not the right place to ask but i cannot find the games thread for this and you guys seem to know about it so I just go ahead and try.

I want to buy the Gift game but there is also a "Gift -Rainbow Stories-" which I think is a fan disk so which one should I buy?Is the "Rainbow Stories" a sequel or just the same game with something extra added?
soul_stealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 13:28   Link #493
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_stealer View Post
I want to buy the Gift game but there is also a "Gift -Rainbow Stories-" which I think is a fan disk so which one should I buy?Is the "Rainbow Stories" a sequel or just the same game with something extra added?
For the main story, you'll want to get the original game, simply titled "Gift". "Gift ~Rainbow Stories~" is a fandisk that contains "after stories" (follow-ups/sequels to the original story) and other extra content, so it wouldn't make much sense unless you had already played the main game. And, for what it's worth, they also released a PS2 port of the main game a few months ago called "Gift -Prism-", in case you have a PS2 that can play imported games and prefer your visual novels to be "all ages" (they also added stories for a few new characters too). Anyway, hope this helps!
Old 2006-12-20, 05:17   Link #494
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Some Kirino gifs, as promised ^^

Lawful Good:

Chaotic Evil:

Free of use for anyone
Old 2006-12-20, 05:31   Link #495
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
noooo! you made the nail biting one >.< man its freaky but the 4th one on the top row is very kawaii

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 05:57   Link #496
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Some Kirino gifs, as promised ^^
Nah, the worst thing Kirino can be is Lawful Evil

Plus, Lawful Good doesn't need to be all sweet and no mettle

Yeah, kind of off topic, I know
Anyway, I had at least 2 people asking about the avatar during the last few days, so I guess it works
Old 2006-12-20, 07:08   Link #497
soul_stealer

Oh thanks relentlessflame, it was really useful...I think i go order Gift only since I dont have much fund.
soul_stealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 07:27   Link #498
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Nah, the worst thing Kirino can be is Lawful Evil

Plus, Lawful Good doesn't need to be all sweet and no mettle

Yeah, kind of off topic, I know
Anyway, I had at least 2 people asking about the avatar during the last few days, so I guess it works
Lawful Evil? hardly, more like Chaotic Insane.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 07:41   Link #499
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Lawful Evil? hardly, more like Chaotic Insane.
I kind of like npal's suggestion instead ^^

Kirino (Lawful Evil Edition)

That proud look, that lucid madness, and she didn't do anything clearly against the rules, I think.

And besides, Flo, we already got a Chaotic Insane in this series, and that's not Kirino:

Spoiler for beware - creepy:
Old 2006-12-20, 07:48   Link #500
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Oh, so now we have a 10th alignment - chaotic instane ...pretty original

Tags
bishoujo, comedy, drama, moonstone, olm, romance, supernatural