AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 43 51.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 13.10%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.19%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-10, 09:18   Link #41
yjs

Nagi being a pushover? No way!
Again, Nagi and Jin interaction was cute.
Old 2008-11-10, 11:18   Link #42
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Last I checked, Hanaharu Naruko (鳴子ハナハル) was male. (Though apparently people do often think that it's a girl because of the "子" [ko] kanji.)
I was under the impression that the contributor was male as well. I mean, it's not like Haruhiko is a girl's name, right?
Old 2008-11-10, 11:35   Link #43
Itlandm
Porcupine

I am probably in a small minority when I don't care for the otaku references and outright dislike the breaking of the fourth wall. Lucky*Star did a great job of portraying the non-insane otaku life; Kannagi relentlessly mocks the otaku and mostly maintains the false divide between otaku and real humans. LS' breaking of the fourth wall was subtle ("Konata is my wife" in the shrine for instance, I did not know it referred to a real otaku's prayer until I read it in Wikipedia). Kannagi here is much too blunt for my tastes.

The best part of the series, for me, is when it is a thoroughly immature "Oh My Goddess". You can see Jin as a less saintly Kei, and Nagi as a flawed, immature Belldandy. Nagi is basically good, but like most good teens just after puberty, her goodness has a hard time getting out.

As such, this was not a favorite episode. It was technically excellent, the humor was humorous etc, it just happened to have a lot of the stuff I care the least for in the series. I hope this does not set the tone for the rest of the series.
Old 2008-11-10, 12:25   Link #44
Kouvley

Another excellent fun-filled episode. This show is just a delight to watch.

Just about everything worked for me in this ep, the comedy hit the spot - especially the shopping trip, and the voice acting continues to be superb.

So to sum up this episode, it was "Super-moe! Super-good-job! Super-very-good!".
Old 2008-11-10, 13:56   Link #45
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I was under the impression that the contributor was male as well. I mean, it's not like Haruhiko is a girl's name, right?
Oh hey Myssa Rei.

Anyway, there's a slight difference between the "ko" in "Haruhiko" and the "ko" in "Naruko"; the Haruhiko "ko" is コ (with "Haruhiko" being ハルヒコ) and is simply a sound, while the Naruko "ko" is 子, which means "small" or "child", if I remember correctly, and is usually associated with female names (i.e. Kyonko/キョン子, etc.).
Old 2008-11-10, 17:30   Link #46
Kushi

Nagi and Jin interactions... omg *squeallllssss* wayyyy too cute this time D:! I'm going to be so sad when trouble arises... till then jin x nagi ftw!!!
Old 2008-11-10, 19:52   Link #47
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I don't like the fourth wall stuff either, I thought the director's cameo was going to be a one off, I think having the characters talking about the script writing etc is rather jarring, it doesn't feel like that kind of meta-level type show, that kind of thing is more at home in something like Excel Saga, and I don't really want to think of Kannagi in Excel Saga terms (though the secret identity and part time jobs does make a sort of parallel between Nagi and Excel... would this mean Jin is Il Palazzo? But in that case would Tsugumi or Zange be Hyatt?).

But apart from the loss of the extra wall, and also Jin's psychotic episode, I did enjoy the episode. I felt sorry for Tsugumi, witnessing Jin literally going bananas over Nagi's cuteness.

From the photographic flier for the cafe, I wondered if Cafe Maidia might actually exist (like the Cafe With Cat in Doujin Work) but some googling didn't reveal one (though there is a blog called Maidia which must be getting a lot of spurious hits right now...)

Close this thread, Open the nexT

Last edited by Samatarou; 2008-11-10 at 20:07.
Old 2008-11-10, 20:41   Link #48
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Oh hey Myssa Rei.

Anyway, there's a slight difference between the "ko" in "Haruhiko" and the "ko" in "Naruko"; the Haruhiko "ko" is コ (with "Haruhiko" being ハルヒコ) and is simply a sound, while the Naruko "ko" is 子, which means "small" or "child", if I remember correctly, and is usually associated with female names (i.e. Kyonko/キョン子, etc.).
Well, I have been around for a while in the hobby so I know that much.

As a non-manga reader, I have to say, Daitetsu seems to have an unhealthy amount of concern for Jin. Is there more to the big guy than meets the eye, hmm?
Old 2008-11-10, 21:25   Link #49
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well overall enjoyed the episode. Felt kind of bad for Tsugumi at the end. It was a pretty sad defeat. Sure she would have been embarrassed, but a little attention wouldn't have been so bad. Probably will have to take a more forward approach if she doesn't want to be left in the dust.

First half was pretty funny with the clothes shopping. Tsugumi ready for shopping with Jin and got something else. Though her monologues along with Nagi's feelings on the cup sizes made for a hilarious first half. Its a tough battlefield to be certain.

Lot of laughs at the end with Zange getting owned .
Old 2008-11-10, 22:01   Link #50
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well overall enjoyed the episode. Felt kind of bad for Tsugumi at the end. It was a pretty sad defeat. Sure she would have been embarrassed, but a little attention wouldn't have been so bad. Probably will have to take a more forward approach if she doesn't want to be left in the dust.
This is a sentiment that a lot of us felt (or non-manga readers anyway). Not that Jin's being insensitive though, but I have a feeling that he's never really seen her as anything BUT a close childhood friend.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2008-11-11 at 01:57.
Old 2008-11-11, 00:45   Link #51
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
it was Tsugumi who distanced in the first place and told off Jin. I can't really blame the guy for not paying attention to her, he's that type of guy as we've seen so far. They are childhood friends so it would be awkward if he did however.
Old 2008-11-11, 01:14   Link #52
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I think I just died during this episode. There was just too much in the way of awesomeness going on that it's impossible to count the number of times I laughed. A lot of the comedy this go around is more with Tsugumi, who manages to work up a good monologue pairing with Nagi. And what happens in the second half of the episode was just sheer unadulterated lulz. Every moment there was absolutely golden.

Ending was pretty sweet as usual as you watch Nagi and Jin reconcile. I thought Nagi would be a bit more adamant about it, but it's just as well since it's an episodic series with loose tie-ins from episode to episode anyhow. Otherwise, it's still delivering on the laughs.
Old 2008-11-11, 01:45   Link #53
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Gave it a 8/10. An overall enjoyable episode to it. Also did anyone notice that Tsugumi has the same ringtone as our dear Kagamin from LS? That or its a generic ringtone..
Old 2008-11-11, 05:58   Link #54
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
In all honesty, I thought Jin's embarrassed outburst at the maid cafe was pretty cringe-worthy.
You aren't the only one...I really can't believe that Jin would scream out something like that...so his man points dropped a few for being a nervous wreck, and naive

Though I have to love the "too pure pure boy" comment afterwards by Takako (muhahahaha).

But despite this I still really enjoyed the episode. Nagi was just too cute and Tsugumi was hilarious at rubbing salt into the wounds XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-11-11, 11:34   Link #55
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
You aren't the only one...I really can't believe that Jin would scream out something like that...so his man points dropped a few for being a nervous wreck, and naive
Jin seems to have found it pretty cringe-worthy himself; did you see what he was doing to that frog statue-thing afterwards? XD
Old 2008-11-11, 14:16   Link #56
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I loved every minute of this episode. Poor Nagi and her delicious flat chest. I didn't think she would actually buy the larger size bra, so when she shows up in front of Jin with the "improvement" it was shockingly funny.

Jin's outburst was awkward, but I think it accurately reflected the awkwardness and frustration he was feeling and he just blurted out his honest feelings. And Nagi's blushing reaction to that was worth every cringe it may have caused.

The scene between them at the end was very endearing. I really enjoyed that. It seemed that Nagi was touched by Jin's sincerity and she honored that by doing something that demonstrated respect for his feelings.

Last edited by Mushi; 2008-11-12 at 02:56.
Old 2008-11-11, 14:53   Link #57
Solafighter
Hige

Awsome episode! Havent seen something like that in a while.
Old 2008-11-11, 15:09   Link #58
HandofFate

Really enjoyed this episode.
I don't get why Tsugumi started banging her head against the wall though.
Loved her crying expression though.

Tsugumi remains my #1 favorite girl so far. With that glasses girl member of the art club for non-romantic interest for the MC.
Old 2008-11-11, 15:34   Link #59
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I don't get why Tsugumi started banging her head against the wall though.
She was in despair that people she knew, especially Jin, saw her working there.
Old 2008-11-11, 16:29   Link #60
Moci
just an ordinary alien...

Send a message via MSN to Moci
That was a fantastic episode, especially Nagi outfit!
I almost died the nosebleed, and laughed a lot of 'the underwear comedy', and the maid cafe... best.
But the most funny thing was Jin expression, and a 'little' jealously, when he saw Nagi the maid dress.

In summary, i hardly think the re-warching of this episode...
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand man, i really want to take Nagi home!

About Tsugumi and the wall: i guessed an another answer: she saw Jin only looks Nagi, not her... this was really depressing to her.