AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-13, 11:07   Link #161
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Does anyone have a list and translations of all of the persian terms used in this episode? There were quite a few of them.

That was a great episode. We didn't get to see much of the actual battle, but what little we saw was promising. Not as gory as the battles in LoGHs, but it didn't feel like they were pulling punches either. Just like Enzo, I particularly liked Arslan's behavior. He was obviously very scared and desperate, but he never gave up and kept fighting even against impossible odds. And he seems decently skilled, although I think he'll be more of a strategist kind of character than a badass warrior.
Old 2015-04-13, 12:32   Link #162
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
He didn't come off as someone who would use any specific tactic. I get the feeling that Pars is the kind of kingdom where members of the Royal family need to get some sort of recognition in war in order to be an official heir or King. Would the king be incapable of fathering a child? I mean, you would think that having a second son and hope he's not like Arslan would satisfy the king. Meanwhile he could have Arslan do work he's better suited for (he could easily be a great tactician/strategist if he wasn't so unwilling to shed blood).

Could Arslan be the true son of that guy who got exiled by the king? It does seem like mentioning him causes the king to react violently.
Daryun said the guy who got exiled was his friend. Assuming they're around the same age, it wouldn't really fit for him to have a son Arslan's age. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing Daryun is in his late 20's or so. Of course, there's always early marriage...

But you're right, the uncle's questions were dropping some huge hints towards the queen having an affair. The question is that if she did have one, then why is she also dismissive of Arslan? Let's face it, the way she's portrayed (bitch came to mind), it looks like her relationship with both the king and Arslan is bad.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 13:28   Link #163
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
But you're right, the uncle's questions were dropping some huge hints towards the queen having an affair. The question is that if she did have one, then why is she also dismissive of Arslan? Let's face it, the way she's portrayed (bitch came to mind), it looks like her relationship with both the king and Arslan is bad.
I'm thinking maybe she didn't want to become preggo by whomever Arslan's real father is (yeah that was pretty darn obvious in this epi ), maybe he was a slave or an enemy and seeing Arslan reminds her of the mistake she made? Or maybe the guy the King exiled too. Either way Arslan gets no love from either of his parents which is sad.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 13:33   Link #164
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Yeah, was I going to bring this up too. It's not just Arslan's father who's distant to him, but his mother as well. Which only raises questions if Queen did in fact have an affair did she really loved that other guy? Or perhaps it's more simpler reason is that she might have been raped incident in the past like (an abduction of some kind) and it was covered up? Especially if reality Arslan's biological father was just some bandit. Eitherway, at present there is a prevalent sense that Arslan might be an unwanted child from the both of them.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-04-13 at 14:33. Reason: add a bit
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 16:55   Link #165
askara

Hmm i wonder if the Kings knows, because in olden time both the Queen and Arslan would have been killed.

also that trench provided their is no magic involve, it would have taken months to dig, it seem far fetched that no one noticed works of that scale in open plain
askara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 17:07   Link #166
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by askara View Post
also that trench provided their is no magic involve, it would have taken months to dig, it seem far fetched that no one noticed works of that scale in open plain
There's also the strange fog bank in the middle of an open field... Awfully convenient.

As for what you guys were saying above about maybe the queen being forced into having Arslan, if that is true, it still doesn't explain why the relationship between his 'parents' is so tense. If the queen was truly a victim, her cold attitude towards the king doesn't make sense (unless she blames him for it); on the other hand, if she willingly had an affair, the king's attitude towards her is the one that doesn't make sense, as he's still obviously trying to get into her good graces, and he doesn't strike me as the type of person who would forgive such a transgression.
Old 2015-04-13, 17:38   Link #167
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
the king's attitude towards her is the one that doesn't make sense, as he's still obviously trying to get into her good graces, and he doesn't strike me as the type of person who would forgive such a transgression.
Maybe he isn't aware of it since he doesn't seem to think Arslan isn't his, aside from the obvious differences. If the King knew Arlsan was a bastard he wouldnt be the crown prince. I'm thinking he is trying to "win" her since he's big on conquest and she's not letting him. I'm going to assume that their marriage was arranged so maybe she wasn't the suitor she wanted.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 19:11   Link #168
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Maybe he isn't aware of it since he doesn't seem to think Arslan isn't his, aside from the obvious differences. If the King knew Arlsan was a bastard he wouldnt be the crown prince. I'm thinking he is trying to "win" her since he's big on conquest and she's not letting him. I'm going to assume that their marriage was arranged so maybe she wasn't the suitor she wanted.
There is also a chance that Arslan's mother remarried after having Arslan. That would explain why the king is so cold to Arslan while trying to get the queen on his side.
Old 2015-04-13, 22:17   Link #169
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by askara View Post
Hmm i wonder if the Kings knows, because in olden time both the Queen and Arslan would have been killed.

Not the trench persay, but that fog was awfully weird, it came exactly when the enemy needed and stayed the entire battle, and while Pars soldiers couldn't see, the enemy soldiers seemed to hit all their targets with no problem. I wouldn't cross out the possibility of magic so easily.

Spoiler for info:

As for the trenches, considering they only really have hand tools, I don't know how they could have dug trenches so deep and no one notice and report it on their way to Pars? If that used to be plains beforehand, to dig them that wide and deep would have taken, as you said, months.

Another possibility, is that those trenches are naturally formed and the traitor general led them in the wrong direction. He was in charge of the scouting after all. With the fog, the Pars people wouldn't have been able to see that he was lying about what's in front of them. If that's true, all the enemy had to do was fill the trenches with oil and lie in wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
I'm honestly not sure if Arslan is or isn't the king's son. There are suspicions, and he does look a lot like his mother, but that's actually not unusual for boys. (In my family for example, I take mostly after my dad, while my youngest brother takes almost completely after my mom). Arslan actually doesn't seem to take after either of his parents in terms of personality. The king is a prideful warhawk, while the mother is an ice queen (no pun intended ) Arslan seems to have more life and compassion to him than either of them. Honestly, from the way the king and queen interacted last episode, it really reminded me more of a couple that were once in love but then grew cold and distant over time. The king takes the time to visit his wife and present her with gifts, and he's clearly trying to get a response out of her, but she continues to give him the cold shoulder. It reminds me of a couple that has become so distant, but one of them is either hopeful or deluded enough that he's trying to mend it, but to no avail.

As for Arslan, I don't even think it matters even if he is a bastard. His father doesn't seem to know or doesn't care since he acknowledges him as his son and heir. We've only seen one person have suspicions as to Arslan's legitimacy, but they'd never say anything aloud about it to anyone out of confidence. And after 14 years, Arslan is an only child, and I'm guessing the only heir. So, in the long run, I don't know if it will really matter.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2015-04-13 at 22:29.
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 22:50   Link #170
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Maybe Arslan is the legitimate child of both the King and Queen. Although what Daryun's Uncle said seems to suggest Arslan is an illegitimate child, but, if you think about it, he really was only saying that Arslan takes after his mother more than his father. It's a perfectly common comment most people make that doesn't necessarily imply Arslan is not the King's real child.

On the other hand, if you consider how the King acts toward the Queen by wooing her and how he acts toward Arslan, then account for how cold the Queen is to both the King and her son...I would say the Queen is probably someone from a conquered nation, most likely a noble woman or royalty, captured as a prize and forced in marriage with Pars' present King. As such she is cold towards the King, and since Arslan is a child from such an unwanted marriage, she also shuns him as a product of her hated husband. Arslan in turn is shunned by the King because he resembles his mother and her conquered people, whom could be looked down upon by many in Pars.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 23:18   Link #171
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Maybe Arslan is the legitimate child of both the King and Queen. Although what Daryun's Uncle said seems to suggest Arslan is an illegitimate child, but, if you think about it, he really was only saying that Arslan takes after his mother more than his father. It's a perfectly common comment most people make that doesn't necessarily imply Arslan is not the King's real child.

On the other hand, if you consider how the King acts toward the Queen by wooing her and how he acts toward Arslan, then account for how cold the Queen is to both the King and her son...I would say the Queen is probably someone from a conquered nation, most likely a noble woman or royalty, captured as a prize and forced in marriage with Pars' present King. As such she is cold towards the King, and since Arslan is a child from such an unwanted marriage, she also shuns him as a product of her hated husband. Arslan in turn is shunned by the King because he resembles his mother and her conquered people, whom could be looked down upon by many in Pars.
But the people of Pars seem to really honor the Queen and think highly of her. And looking back at when she talks to her son, she's not cold to him, just not especially affectionate. That's not unusual in royal families. I did note though when watching it again, that the queen cuts her conversation with her son short when he mentions growing up to become a "fine king" like his father. And we of course saw how cold she was to her husband.

It could be possible that the queen doesn't like what her husband has become. That she knows that he's become a prideful king consumed by his victories on the battlefield, that he loves the feel of war and fighting more than his own family and people? Maybe he was different once, but he's changed and she doesn't like it, thus the cold shoulder and that she leaves her son the moment his father is mentioned?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 05:55   Link #172
Arya

I liked the episode, as other posters I liked the way Arslan has been portrayed, the first episode made me worry a bit. About the episode sure the whole thing could have been played out in a less overplayed way than having the King being the dumb and deaf one, while the other commander playing the smart one and extra loyal beyond himself. But I guess it's typical of the genre so well, I'll get accustomed to, more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Yeah, was I going to bring this up too. It's not just Arslan's father who's distant to him, but his mother as well. Which only raises questions if Queen did in fact have an affair did she really loved that other guy? Or perhaps it's more simpler reason is that she might have been raped incident in the past like (an abduction of some kind) and it was covered up? Especially if reality Arslan's biological father was just some bandit. Eitherway, at present there is a prevalent sense that Arslan might be an unwanted child from the both of them.
mmm, naaa, I can't see that happening, Arslan beauty and his feminine traits go against this possibility, that would imply she had been taken by force by a bishounen. So I can't see that happen. A lover it's more likely, killed/exiled due to the pregnancy. So the queen forced to give up to his lover due to Arslan arrival. Like they got exposed due to the pregnancy. From here the reason the queen is cold toward him.
Plus the possibility of the Queen being in danger to begin with is very unlikely. Arslan himself was quite sheltered (despite himself).

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 06:44   Link #173
FateAnomaly

Imo, the king loved the queen well enough to accept that her son but not love him. It is possible he took her from someone else. The queen probably neither love the king nor her ex but accepts it for political reasons.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 10:55   Link #174
LoveYouSaber

I had the impression that the King was conveyed to be a seasoned warrior and had won many victories prior to this, so his surprisingly stupid mistake makes it all the more glaring. No one would charge or march or give battle in a fog, unless you happen to be the one trying to ambush the enemy, but the last thing you would do would be to just run directly at the enemy like it was all sunny and stuff...

Honestly hadn't expected the trench either, I was thinking more of pikeman aka Braveheart style.
LoveYouSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 11:33   Link #175
Draco Spirit

Ego got the better of him.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 14:36   Link #176
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
mmm, naaa, I can't see that happening, Arslan beauty and his feminine traits go against this possibility, that would imply she had been taken by force by a bishounen. So I can't see that happen. A lover it's more likely, killed/exiled due to the pregnancy. So the queen forced to give up to his lover due to Arslan arrival. Like they got exposed due to the pregnancy. From here the reason the queen is cold toward him.
Plus the possibility of the Queen being in danger to begin with is very unlikely. Arslan himself was quite sheltered (despite himself).
Royalty getting kidnapped (or assassinated) happened quite often in history even with good security and this would have happened before Arslan's birth, so I don't think that it's so farfetched. That said, most of my speculation is really just trying to find some reason for Queen's temperament towards Arslan. It's main thing making me believe she didn't have just a simple affair, but for all I know we could be misreading it and things are just as Irenesharda said. Eitherway I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
I had the impression that the King was conveyed to be a seasoned warrior and had won many victories prior to this, so his surprisingly stupid mistake makes it all the more glaring. No one would charge or march or give battle in a fog, unless you happen to be the one trying to ambush the enemy, but the last thing you would do would be to just run directly at the enemy like it was all sunny and stuff...

Honestly hadn't expected the trench either, I was thinking more of pikeman aka Braveheart style.
Didn't King and Karlan have a bit of discussion about the fog being no more advantageous for their enemy then themselves after taking it into account? It doubt it is the first time King has such state either. But maybe I'm overestimating him.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 16:48   Link #177
itisjustme

Why is Daryun doing the cool pose at the end instead of rushing to save the prince.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-15, 01:56   Link #178
BPD Renegade

Just going to drop this thing I found here and leave. (Though I gotta say, the new anime has a deeper color palette and detail, but there's a certain charm to the old school look. Wonder how it would have turned out if they combined old character design with new budget/detail.)

Old 2015-04-15, 02:41   Link #179
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

i only hope arslan to get rid of his pussy cowardly looking face with girly expression to this one
Spoiler for cover img:
Old 2015-04-15, 02:57   Link #180
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
I guess the intent was to point out the King's ego rose so high to blind him before the possibility to lose in any circumstance thanks to his cavalry. But considering how at lengths Daryun went to make a point and how soundly his argumentation was, well sure the effect was to make him look stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Royalty getting kidnapped (or assassinated) happened quite often in history even with good security and this would have happened before Arslan's birth, so I don't think that it's so farfetched. That said, most of my speculation is really just trying to find some reason for Queen's temperament towards Arslan. It's main thing making me believe she didn't have just a simple affair, but for all I know we could be misreading it and things are just as Irenesharda said. Eitherway I'm just throwing the idea out there.
Well, not that I was dismissing it, it's just that among all the other possibilities it sounded the least likely due to Arslan's character, both physically given his delicate and feminine traits than for his predisposition given his smartness and goodness. Somehow I can't see it being linked to the consequences of an abduction. That's it. But as you said we are speculating so personally as far as it makes sense I'll never dismiss any.
On the other hand the whole argument stemmed by a conversation of that old man implying something about Arslan's birth and what followed, so I'd find odd it will end up being a red herring, also considering the subtlety of the show so far.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote