AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-09-12, 22:38   Link #19641
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I've used this avi before...
Yeah, I noticed that you and Danchou have changed back to what I consider your "default" avatars.

...This makes me nostalgic.

...Hmm. I forget which avatar I used when I first came here. Arche I think?

EDIT: Oh. Right. On topicness.

While my vote doesn't count for shit, I agree with you all on the scene. Good scene is good.

Last edited by vivify93; 2009-09-12 at 22:39. Reason: misspelled "changed"
vivify93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 00:13   Link #19642
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... This thread is rather busy... That hasn't happened for a while.
I've noticed it's cyclical. We have a flurry of activity when either Kaisos or Aebliss post something, then a lull, then a discussion topic comes up, then another lull... then we announce that the topic has been murdered is dead, so everything is allowed...

Also, I just heard commentators on NPR use the word trope twice. I am concerned.
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 00:31   Link #19643
hotakesan

Quote:
Kyonko grows so angry that she does actually slap Haruki.
*Shock value: Haruki would probably never see it coming.
*Denial of deniability: the kind of imprint left by a girl's open hand can not be disguised to others as having been a punch dealt by a man, i.e., 'a worthy opponent'.

Haruki's being ticked off goes into overdrive, and he raises his own hand.
*Initially a fist.
**Yuuki moves forward maybe one step; so does Tsuruya; Koizumi steps forward and grabs Kyonko's arm, prepares to pull her to safety - and Kyonko resists.

*Haruki blinks, stops. Changes fist to an open hand.
**Koizumi visibly tugs on Kyonko, who fights the pull and stares Haruki down.
**Haruki slowly lowers his hand, frowns, starts spouting Haruhi BS about being in charge and Kyonko only having to do as she's told.
**Kyonko gives him the Death Glare of Contempt(tm), turns her back on him while he's still mouthing off. She grabs Mitsuuru under one arm and starts to drag him out of the room.
**Tsuruya hurries forward to assist her, bodily lifting Mitsuuru.
**Kyonko + Tsuruya + Mitsuuru leave the room. Haruki's speech of BS tapers off into silence, and he just stands there, alone with a silent Nagato and Koizumi.
That's alright with me. But yeah, there's still:

Quote:
3.Yuuki probably wouldn't take a step forward. He'd either stand still or rush.
^And I agree w/ tht as well. Rmb how Yuuki was wen asakura tried to kill kyonko? Didn't he 'magically appear' with his super speed and save her? Seems somewt more fitting tht he'd do something similar in this situation no? Or mb not, seeing as this one isnt really life or death. Just that Yuuki seems he'll either do something, or do nothing.
hotakesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 00:51   Link #19644
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Spoiler for tidiness:
I can live with this! I'm all for Kyonko giving Haruki a verbal reaming, but the silent treatment works, too!

Though, I do think that Itsuko needs to go with Kyonko out of the room (without Mitsuuru, a death glare directed at Tsuruya gets his confirmation that he'll take care of him). Later we get Tsuruya's apology as he sees them off and then cue info-dump! (and taxi drive-by scene)
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 02:59   Link #19645
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
On general editing:

1. No slugging. The amount of contempt conferred by a punch is not as great as that conferred by a slap. It just isn't. Also, see denial of deniability, which is a very good thought a friend of mine conferred to me: if a girl slaps you with an open hand, the marks it leaves can not be confused with being punched by 'an equal opponent'. Kyonko is smaller than Haruki, so it will be obvious he got hit by either a girl or a kid, and either way, it'll put a dent in his male ego. The point of this scene is not to start a battle between equals or even a mismatched fight, but to show a physically weak character denouncing and standing up to a physical powerhouse without even blinking, and winning by show of disdain.

2. No moving Itsuko. Her duty is to monitor Haruki, not Kyonko. In a situation like this, I really see her staying with Haruki, just in case she has to run damage control of some sort. (Also remember than the espers are sensitive to Haruki's emotional state. At the moment after Kyonko leaves, I imagine he'll be feeling hurt, shocked, and abandoned. Wouldn't Itsuko feel somewhat drawn to filling the void?) Later, when Haruki leaves in a huff and obviously wants to be away from everyone who saw his moment of failure, then is a fine moment for her to find Kyonko and try damage control by proxy, i.e., begging Kyonko to do something to fix things.

3. I'm fine with Yuuki just standing still. It works. But have Tsuruya move a step, at least. It'll be fun.

The scene then becomes:

Kyonko grows so angry that she does actually slap Haruki.
*Shock value: Haruki would probably never see it coming.
*Denial of deniability: the kind of imprint left by a girl's open hand can not be disguised to others as having been a punch dealt by a man, i.e., 'a worthy opponent'.

Haruki's being ticked off goes into overdrive, and he raises his own hand.
*Initially a fist.
**Tsuruya moves forward a step, concerned; Koizumi steps forward and grabs Kyonko's arm, prepares to pull her to safety - and Kyonko resists.

*Haruki blinks, stops. Changes fist to an open hand.
**Koizumi visibly tugs on Kyonko, who fights the pull and stares Haruki down.
**Haruki slowly lowers his hand, frowns, starts spouting Haruhi BS about being in charge and Kyonko only having to do as she's told.
**Kyonko gives him the Death Glare of Contempt(tm), turns her back on him while he's still mouthing off. She grabs Mitsuuru under one arm and starts to drag him out of the room.
**Tsuruya hurries forward to assist her, bodily lifting Mitsuuru.
**Kyonko + Tsuruya + Mitsuuru leave the room. Haruki's speech of BS tapers off into silence, and he just stands there, alone with a silent Nagato and Koizumi.

Later, Tsuruya apologizes to Kyonko for having gotten carried away, and promises to take care of Mitsuuru.
Itsuko flags the Organization cab and gives Kyonko a ride to the shrine. The cab passes the railway where Haruki once told Kyonko about his defining moment three years ago on the way.
Kyonko spots Haruki in the distance, appearing somehow isolated, and momentarily looking at his right hand. His shoulders are slumped, his back rigid.

Last edited by Aebliss; 2009-09-13 at 03:12.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 03:03   Link #19646
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scify View Post
Also, I just heard commentators on NPR use the word trope twice. I am concerned.
NPR?

this being?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 03:15   Link #19647
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Don't they still need Mitsuuru to film the actually scene they used...the one where Itsuko and Yuuki have an odd conversation over the sleeping Mitsuuru...the other scene where they almost kiss (the one Kyonko will eventually narrate threating to jump into the frame and hurt Itsuko...probably for attempting to steal Mitsuuru's first kiss or something like that)?
Old 2009-09-13, 03:30   Link #19648
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Untitled Seitenkan Sigh Fic: Bad End

This has been going through my head for a while now.

As of Monday, March 29th, 2010, this has been revised. Hopefully this is my last revision, but I make no guarantees that this won't be edited any longer.

Disclaimer: This is my own work. Nagaru Tanigawa is not involved. Kaisos Erranon is not involved. DJ_RmX, or "Danchou", is not involved. They all simply provided a small basis to work with. Hell, I didn't even read The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya prior to writing this, to be honest. One more thing, the reason Yuuki doesn't stop Haruki is because the entire idea that was running through my head while writing this was, "What if no one stopped Haruki and he did strike back at Kyonko?"

Spoiler for An Untitled Sighs Seitenkan Fic (Bad End):

Why did I decide to do this? This has been going through my head since we started discussing this scene. Why has it been doing so? I don't know. Why am I disparaging one of my favorite anime boys? Because he's an asshole. Not this much of an asshole, but still. Also for the lulz.

Even still, I'm not suggesting my fic be in the official writeup. It wouldn't get in, anyway—there's no way for this fic to be included unless Kaisos or anyone else wanted a reason to stop rewriting the novels.

For some bonus lulz, I originally thought this scene took place in the clubroom, thus it was written as such. The latest update has rectified this, however.

I hope this is enjoyed.

Last edited by vivify93; 2011-02-20 at 04:08. Reason: yet another revision.
vivify93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 03:39   Link #19649
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
*pat pat* There, there. Sometimes inspiration strikes and you have to go with it. It doesn't always have to mean something.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 07:11   Link #19650
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
*snip*
What the...?

To be fair, I don't think Tsuruya would say anything in response to Haruki doing this. He'd just walk over and head butt him..

Total bad end here.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 07:32   Link #19651
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I'm going to write more shitty stuff because this has been going through my head for a while now.

Spoiler for shoddy writing part deux!:

...Done! Everyone (AKA Heath) enjoy my shitty writing.

Why did I decide to do this? This has been going through my head since we started discussing this scene. Why has it been doing so? I don't know. Why am I disparaging my favorite anime boy? Because he's an asshole. Not this much of an asshole, but still.

And before anyone misinterprets me...

NO, I AM NOT SUGGESTING THIS BE IN THE OFFICIAL WRITEUP.
Dude... that was awesome! I loved it!

I particularly liked how you handled Kyonko.

Nice pure villain conception of Haruki. I wouldn't want it official either, but as an alternate view of things... it was very enjoyable to read.
Old 2009-09-13, 07:46   Link #19652
hotakesan

Quote:
I'm going to write more shitty stuff because this has been going through my head for a while now.

Why did I decide to do this? This has been going through my head since we started discussing this scene. Why has it been doing so? I don't know. Why am I disparaging my favorite anime boy? Because he's an asshole. Not this much of an asshole, but still.

shoddy shitty writing my ass; that was bloody brilliant.

did not expect the haruki punch but it was most welcome - "that son of a bitch hit me!"

Personally, i wudnt mind if it was made official lol
hotakesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 09:37   Link #19653
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:

Like the others, I rather liked this, and I don't think the characters are all that OOC, except maybe with Kyonko's hopping up and down. I wouldn't want this to be official, but that's mainly because I figure they'd get at most five minutes away from the school before Haruki destroyed everything/reset everything in a fit of despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
NPR?

this being?
NPR stands for National Public Radio. It's one of the few true talk radio stations left in the US, and I'm apparently one of the only people in our generation who regularly listens to it for more then just Car Talk.

In this case, the host of a show called "On Point" and several commentators were discussing the fall line-up of television programs, and two of the guests referred to genre tropes when talking about new shows.
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 09:46   Link #19654
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:

Amuzing. I liked that scene, it was a fun read. I don't really think they are OOC, Haruki is way more villanous then it is acceptable(hiting a girl when you are wrong is very bad and Tsuruya is too goody, but their personalitys still match. The problem would be Itsuko and Mitsuuru being too absent, tough you kinda solved it by makin then drunk.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 12:26   Link #19655
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

Quote:

Shit, I was going to write a different interpretation on what could've happened but I mistakenly pressed ctrl+A followed by backspace. So I lost it.
Old 2009-09-13, 12:34   Link #19656
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNiwa View Post
Shit, I was going to write a different interpretation on what could've happened but I mistakenly pressed ctrl+A followed by backspace. So I lost it.
...You could have used ctrl+z, you know.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 13:16   Link #19657
silvita
Code Monkey

Send a message via MSN to silvita
doesn't change the fact that he whent back and the post was lost.
silvita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 13:40   Link #19658
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The problem is doing that scene within first-person narration.

Maybe have Kyonko catch a glimpse of that as Itsuko is having her driven home or something.
I admit that I've not read much of Sighs, because I dislike emotional conflict in my entertainment, so I'm not as familiar with the canon there.

My impression was mostly Itsuko telling Kyonko about the aftermath, and then Kyonko imagines Haruki doing the lonely walk thing. Maybe Haruki actually did it, maybe he didn't; the mental image should be enough, I think.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 13:47   Link #19659
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Would Kyonko really be thinking about Haruki being all mopey, though?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 14:13   Link #19660
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Would Kyonko really be thinking about Haruki being all mopey, though?
If Itsuko Subtly Hints at something like that, probably. It could be a way to make Kyonko feel at least a little guilty, by describing the aftermath using leading and loaded words.

Whether or not it succeeds is another matter.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan