AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-05-08, 15:53   Link #1
guess

free software to read Asian font on internet?

Is there a free software available for download so that I can read Asian font on internet? Thank you.
Old 2006-05-08, 17:18   Link #2
Farix

What is your OS?

For Windows XP, you can choose to install the files for East Asian languages in Regional and Language Options in the Control Pannel.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 17:21   Link #3
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
i got a firefox extension called rikaichan, which basically translates any asian font i mouse over
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 17:49   Link #4
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
i got a firefox extension called rikaichan, which basically translates any asian font i mouse over
how about internet exploror? thanks
Old 2006-05-08, 19:42   Link #5
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
how about internet exploror? thanks
jsut get firefox, its free, and its faster than ie. trust me ie sucks
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 22:55   Link #6
guess

I just check out this rikaichan but it is a translator for Japanese to English. I am looking for a software which allows Asian font to be shown correctly, instead of "?????," just a bunch of squares, or some random codes. Sorry for the confusion.

If it is possible, can someone fix the thread subject for me? Can you change it to free software to show Asian font correctly on internet?
Old 2006-05-08, 23:23   Link #7
Kamui4356
Aria Company

You don't need a seperate program. Farix already answered your question. To elaborate on his answer:

start menu> settings> control panel> Regional and language options. Click on the languages tab and check the box for "install files for east asian languages". This will allow you to view the text correctly on most websites, though there will still be some which don't properly display the text.

***Note that this assumes windows xp as your os. If you have a different OS, tell us which one you have, or we won't be able to help you.
Old 2006-05-09, 08:54   Link #8
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
You don't need a seperate program. Farix already answered your question. To elaborate on his answer:

start menu> settings> control panel> Regional and language options. Click on the languages tab and check the box for "install files for east asian languages". This will allow you to view the text correctly on most websites, though there will still be some which don't properly display the text.

***Note that this assumes windows xp as your os. If you have a different OS, tell us which one you have, or we won't be able to help you.
It is windows XP but that is not an option for me. I have to figure out something else. thank you.
Old 2006-05-09, 09:20   Link #9
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
It's not an option? Like you don't have admin rights?

Then just go grab those asian fonts you need. There's no special software needed. Install it. (You may have to leave the actual font files in one location, and just install the fonts without copying the files to the fonts folder - just follow the direction for installing fonts within the fonts folder.)

With Arial Unicode, you should be set to ready 90% of the documents out there.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 09:21   Link #10
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Got a link to that?
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 09:56   Link #11
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
Old 2006-05-09, 11:22   Link #12
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
It's not an option? Like you don't have admin rights?

Then just go grab those asian fonts you need. There's no special software needed. Install it. (You may have to leave the actual font files in one location, and just install the fonts without copying the files to the fonts folder - just follow the direction for installing fonts within the fonts folder.)

With Arial Unicode, you should be set to ready 90% of the documents out there.
I really don't understand what you mean. I am talking about internet. How can I grab asian font when I can't even see them properly? Install what? Without a program, what can I install?
Old 2006-05-09, 11:57   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

All you need is your Windlows XP installation CD. It doesn't require an "external" program.

If you are running a pre-installed version of XP and do not have a Windows XP installation CD or if you are running an illegal copy, then you will have problems I believe.

You just need to following the instructions supplied by Kamui4356 and have the CD loaded.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 12:08   Link #14
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
All you need is your Windlows XP installation CD. It doesn't require an "external" program.

If you are running a pre-installed version of XP and do not have a Windows XP installation CD or if you are running an illegal copy, then you will have problems I believe.

You just need to following the instructions supplied by Kamui4356 and have the CD loaded.
Please, like I said, this is NOT an option for me! Thank you.
Old 2006-05-09, 12:31   Link #15
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Why is it not an option?

Your only other option is downloading NJStar and it's not free, and more or less unnecessary considering the support is built into XP.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 12:38   Link #16
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
I bet you have a prebuilt system...

Well since you already have Windows XP.
Why dont you get a Copy of Windows XP from a friend.

Or you download it and use Daemon tools (To Virtualize the ISO) and install the Japanese fonts.

This isnt warez talk... since he does own XP, the company who built him the system didnt give him a copy of the disk.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 13:04   Link #17
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Please, like I said, this is NOT an option for me! Thank you.
Are you working from a school computer, or another computer that doesn't belong to you? If not, and you are working on your own PC, then it is an option.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 13:10   Link #18
SomeWhiteGuy

Sorry to burst you bubble, but if you don’t have the option to install Unicode support (the update in the OS to let it show you non American chars), then you are screwed. I don’t think even FireFox will be able to show Unicode w/out a Unicode enabled system.

Or basically, YOU NEED Unicode support. If you can’t go into control panel and add support for non-American fonts, then just give up.

The only other option you have it to try to get around the issue by installing a 3rd-party package to try to support Unicode. But if you don’t have the option to get into control panel and do it the right way, you probably will also be locked out of installing other apps that will try to do the same thing. (Because by the sounds of it you are on a locked system w/out an admin account.)
SomeWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 16:44   Link #19
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Or make a knoppix CD, take it with you, reboot the PC off of knoppix, and browse? Of course, that wouldn't be an option if that PC in question doesn't have a CD drive.
Old 2006-05-10, 07:11   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I just check out this rikaichan but it is a translator for Japanese to English. I am looking for a software which allows Asian font to be shown correctly, instead of "?????," just a bunch of squares, or some random codes. Sorry for the confusion.

If it is possible, can someone fix the thread subject for me? Can you change it to free software to show Asian font correctly on internet?
Office XP Tool: Japanese Language Pack

I know it has Office in the name, but...

It installs the language support... so you should be able to see the fonts... and...
  • You don't need a Windows CD...
  • 100% legal...
  • Works fine... you will be able to see all the kanji, romaji etc... in every program... (Internet Explorer, Firefox (the most used), Opera (I think this one's been deemed the fastest))... et cetera...

Quote:
Doesn't it translate it in 100 different ways... *I'm not saying that's a bad thing *

I like OCN... I basically memorized what I have to do to get a translation... it's pretty good IMO...

Last edited by felix; 2006-05-10 at 07:31.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote