AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-08-09, 20:40   Link #341
grecefar

Seriously?, maihime and ichiya shipping?, nah maihime is too much for him, no thank you.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 21:52   Link #342
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^That's why it's good mate
Coz so unpredictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for brief background info on worlds of the characters
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ow~ Thanks~

So each of those students has unique world too?

Never used at all so I guess it's just useless world?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 23:21   Link #343
haseo0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^That's why it's good mate
Coz so unpredictable

Ow~ Thanks~

So each of those students has unique world too?

Never used at all so I guess it's just useless world?
It´s like the level zero in Academy City, you got the power but can´t manifest itself, or be detected, or be useful at all....
haseo0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 06:31   Link #344
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I get your comparison, there's at least two key differences:

1. Maihime's personality strikes me as far more forceful than Canaria's is.
2. Maihime is capable of displaying real, strong anger.

One of my issues with Canaria is that she struck me as kinda whiny and generally ineffectual at getting Ichiya to be a team-player. Not saying Maihime would have done any better in Canaria's shoes, but I find it refreshing to see Maihime get legitimately angry at Ichiya compared to Canaria just complain in this soft nagging sort of way.

Canaria is/was a good person, it seemed to me, but her interactions with Ichiya felt overly one-sided to me, in the sense that Ichiya's personality seemed to completely dominate over her. With Ichiya/Maihime I see a much more even dynamic, with Maihime willing to truly call him out on his BS and not just pout/sigh over it.
I think that's a little unfair on Canaria. If you remember, she did actually push Ichiya into visiting that wounded student and she at least motivated him enough to read books on sociability. And whilst it was indirect, it was Ichiya's care for Canaria that eventually spurred him into being a team player. All that nagging eventually paid off.

Hime may be strong enough to be harsher with him but that won't be worth any more than Canaria's nagging if she doesn't use it right and I don't think she was. It seems Hime is committed to maintaining a "professional" attitude to everything even when it's clearly inappropriate and we saw how Ichiya reacted. It didn't have to be that way. Hime was clearly hurt by Canaria's death and there was the perfect opportunity to let that out, connect with Ichiya and show to Ichiya that he's not alone in this. Especially since we can see that Ichiya's apathy and depression is being driven by a perceived sense of isolation. If you want to motivate someone by being harsh with them you'll never get anywhere if you don't first convince them that you sympathise and understand them. Otherwise they'll brush you off the same way Ichiya did then.

Ofcourse, I am also aware that this interpretation of Hime may not be the same as what the show thinks. The episode went to great lengths at "martyrizing" her, which I found a little overbearing and excessive, so whether or not the writers also think she took the wrong approach, I don’t know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
mmm, I have had missed the shipping subtexts since all this talking about it kinda comes from nowhere.
Hime and Ichiya have had one or two moments. If this show was written by Mari Okada then I could see it happening but otherwise I'm not holding my breath. Besides, I'm still not convinced that Canaria is dead.

Last edited by Haak; 2016-08-10 at 10:30.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 11:51   Link #345
haseo0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think that's a little unfair on Canaria. If you remember, she did actually push Ichiya into visiting that wounded student and she at least motivated him enough to read books on sociability. And whilst it was indirect, it was Ichiya's care for Canaria that eventually spurred him into being a team player. All that nagging eventually paid off.

Hime may be strong enough to be harsher with him but that won't be worth any more than Canaria's nagging if she doesn't use it right and I don't think she was. It seems Hime is committed to maintaining a "professional" attitude to everything even when it's clearly inappropriate and we saw how Ichiya reacted. It didn't have to be that way. Hime was clearly hurt by Canaria's death and there was the perfect opportunity to let that out, connect with Ichiya and show to Ichiya that he's not alone in this. Especially since we can see that Ichiya's apathy and depression is being driven by a perceived sense of isolation. If you want to motivate someone by being harsh with them you'll never get anywhere if you don't first convince them that you sympathise and understand them. Otherwise they'll brush you off the same way Ichiya did then.

Ofcourse, I am also aware that this interpretation of Hime may not be the same as what the show thinks. The episode went to great lengths at "martyrizing" her, which I found a little overbearing and excessive, so whether or not the writers also think she took the wrong approach, I don’t know...

Hime and Ichiya have had one or two moments. If this show was written by Mari Okada then I could see it happening but otherwise I'm not holding my breath. Besides, I'm still not convinced that Canaria is dead.
That´s why I´m afraid they´re going to use Hotaru as a way brake Hime´s mask so she can connect with Ichiya by putting her in the same position he´s in.
Old 2016-08-10, 12:01   Link #346
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I think that's a little unfair on Canaria.
I just don't find it fun to watch, Haak. The most common dynamic between Canaria and Ichiya. She's very well-meaning, I know, but that soft nagging voice trying to reign in the unstoppable ego... I just found it kinda annoying to hear and watch. If you enjoyed the dynamic, that's fine, but it wasn't clicking for me.

To be fair, they might have brought the Canaria/Ichiya dynamic in a fresh new direction if Canaria was still around right now, but I was a little worried that would just feel like a het version of Hime and her adoring 2nd-in-command.

Hime may well have taken the wrong approach with Ichiya, but I tend to like these sorts of loud confrontational scenes. They can be overdone, but every now and then, it's good to see two characters really clash with one another.

The best one-on-one dynamic in this show is actually between the two siblings (yes, it is ironic for an incest-critic like me to say that, I know, lol). The two siblings have wonderful verbal chemistry with each other, just really sharp deadpan wittiness.
Old 2016-08-10, 12:04   Link #347
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^That's so gonna happen~ I can't wait~
But maybe not that simple... Hotaru is with Aoi, and she seems to realize something's wrong
Actually I still don't understand Aoi's role in all this... she's supposed to be just a side character...

^Normal anime would have Asuha keeps being brocon
What if instead HimexSuza-kun, it's AsuhaxSuza-kun?
Will be weird as fuck... but at least it's super unpredictable?
Old 2016-08-10, 13:05   Link #348
larethian

For all the points you guys have, just keep in mind that this is sort of a mixed media project, and you are not getting the full dose of character fleshing and maximum enjoyment if you are watching merely the anime alone, which is set 1 year after the individual city arcs.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 21:27   Link #349
haseo0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^^That's so gonna happen~ I can't wait~
But maybe not that simple... Hotaru is with Aoi, and she seems to realize something's wrong
Actually I still don't understand Aoi's role in all this... she's supposed to be just a side character...

^Normal anime would have Asuha keeps being brocon
What if instead HimexSuza-kun, it's AsuhaxSuza-kun?
Will be weird as fuck... but at least it's super unpredictable?
What I´m afraid is that Aoi is going to become the doom of Hotaru, she´s going to investigate the secene but she´s going with her guard up knowing fuul weel it is dangerous but Aoi is with her and those two chiefs something to her, maybe program to forget what she saw and terminate anyone who gets to close to the truth...
Old 2016-08-11, 01:27   Link #350
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm in the boat that Canaria is still alive. Her World got her out of a mess before. And... there's always the "If you don't see a body, then the character is not truly dead." troupe. She's prob captured. Those adults know more than they are letting on.

You cleave a road to get to one person and leave the other one that was right in front of her....Truly not logical.

I bet Aoi and Hotaru find Canaria.

Besides it sucks that Canaria didn't get to accept Ichiya's "proposal".
Old 2016-08-11, 02:57   Link #351
Arya

Quote:
ah ah, let Okada rest for a season! Probably the fact is that I can't see trash-kun switching from Canaria regardless her status, that I'm also expecting to be alive. Also, I thought the show was more direct with its hinting like it did with Kasumi.
Well, I just hope the show will give room for everyone not focusing too much only to him.

Speaking of Hotaru speculations, I can't see the show dealing with two broken characters at the same time. And she had not even the time to shine.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 06:16   Link #352
Tenzen12

Nah if Okada wrote this, Hime Canaraia would be alive, kicking and unlike real thing incredibly annoying. Hime in other hand would loose Hotaru to monsters, get some deadly extremely painful illness, get rejected by Trash-kun and ulitmately got fired from her job and send into salt mine.

Anyway with how much bloody water got, I think not seeing body is more matter of gore censorship than hope for survival...
Old 2016-08-11, 08:14   Link #353
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm in the boat that Canaria is still alive. Her World got her out of a mess before. And... there's always the "If you don't see a body, then the character is not truly dead." troupe. She's prob captured. Those adults know more than they are letting on.

You cleave a road to get to one person and leave the other one that was right in front of her....Truly not logical.

I bet Aoi and Hotaru find Canaria.

Besides it sucks that Canaria didn't get to accept Ichiya's "proposal".
I've been looking at the main site, thinking the webmaster might have done something amusing like someone did during Nyaruko's broadcast run, when a character was gone from the anime, the main site changed to reflect that

Apparently Canaria is still kicking it on the main site for this anime, though maybe the webmaster for the site is not as lighthearted as Nyaruko's webmaster, or maybe it's just not something worth changing. It would have been amusing, but I'll stick with this series to see what they are going to do.

But yeah, it is funny how one person survived while the other person didn't. Maybe... the targeting system is one per person?
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 08:23   Link #354
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

So, I never really post on these forums anymore, but I have possibly the most conflicted love/hate relationship with this show of any series in recent memory and I need a place to organize my thoughts so I can come back to them later. It has subverted so many of my expectations in spectacular fashion while playing others so straight that I don't even know what to think of it.

The Good:

The main character is not Kirito/Tatsuya/Ayato/Inaho.

It's not a harem.
The other major characters have motivations and reasons for existing that have nothing to do with the main character. They have their own interactions and relationships with each other completely independent of him. This is possibly my favorite and the most surprising subversion. I especially love the dynamic with the Chiba siblings, both constantly deadpan and thinking they have one up on the other yet still very clearly care about each other.

The character designs. Not a fan of Canaria but Asuha and Maihime are both super cute and have an aesthetic I really enjoy.

I love pretty much everything about Maihime, from appearance to personality. I think it is awesome that the seemingly strongest character is a friendly and good-hearted person who thinks teamwork is important and legitimately wants to protect everyone. I've had more than enough of the brooding loner strongest man in the world archetype to last a lifetime. I also love the fact that she's a girl who is seemingly actually stronger than the main character rather than the typical "action girl" who is exactly as strong as she needs to be to make the main character look even more badass when he defeats her or makes her swoon. They have ample chance to ruin this in future episodes but I remain hopeful that they won't. The most recent episode that showcased hidden depths for her was also great.

They may have actually had the guts to kill off a major character
, and the perfect idol childhood friend with a sworn declaration of protection at that. Major props if she actually stays dead.

The Bad:

The art and animation. Wow. As I said, I love the character designs, but these characters are off-model so often that it almost makes me wonder if the clean original designs are the aberration and the weird blob people are the norm. There was one serious scene with Maihime in the last episode where one of her eyes had fallen so low on her face it was practically level with her nose; it really killed whatever the scene was supposed to convey because I had to stop myself from laughing.

Then the battle with the Leviathan, where everyone seemingly teleports back to school and they don't show how Canaria's rescue and the subsequent retreat even happened at all. And then the second round where it is defeated in a still frame of Maihime's sword. Ouch.

I realize this is probably a budget thing that they couldn't do anything about but to create an original mixed media universe and then have the anime end up looking like this is really disappointing. I generally hate to be memetic because I feel it's very reductive, but I find myself just silently nodding when I hear people refer to this as QUALITY Code. I truly hope this does not come back to bite the series in the end and kill the potential growth of this IP.

(One other aspect of this is that the environments also feel extremely empty and desolate to me, but I'm willing to accept this may be for storyline purposes as well so I'll let this one go).

The story overall. I have found no reason at all to care about this so far. There has been pretty much nothing to separate it from any other generic "mankind vs unknown invaders and high schoolers are the only ones who can effectively fight" show. The enemy designs are appropriately generic as well. They are just a faceless vehicle-esque horde that as far as I can recall have not even been given an actual reason yet for wanting to destroy humanity. There does at least seem to be something potentially interesting in what the adults are hiding though I guess.

The Unknown

Ichiya. Oh boy. This guy has truly taken me on a rollercoaster. I enjoyed that he wasn't a mary sue or wimpy harem protagonist, while at the same time hating him for being a jerkass. I loved that he had to swallow his pride and call for help from the people he was constantly looking down on instead of just unlocking his hidden powers and blowing the Leviathan away like what would have happened in any other show like this. Though at the same time I also feared this would be the point where he turned into a boring protagonist with no inner conflict who could solve anything through the power of friendship.

Now the door seems to have been thoroughly slammed on that (though I do think there is still the potential for Canaria to come back even though I hope she doesn't) and he's currently broken. At this point, I just don't know how to feel. These changes to him have been so abrupt that it feels more like 3 separate characters rather than character development, but at the same time, it's also realistic in that in real life people can die suddenly and pointlessly like Canaria and this is probably exactly how someone would react to it even if it feels weird from a narrative sense.

I also realize that there are other media that may potentially flesh him out a bit more but I also think it's important for an anime to stand on its own and not require you to read elsewhere to understand important points.

If nothing else though, this character makes me think instead of just dismissing him, so I'll put him as a positive for now.

And that's that. I don't expect anyone to actually read this huge wall of text but I needed to type all that out just to get my thoughts in order. Will be interesting to come back to this once the series is done and see what's changed.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 08:32   Link #355
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I read that, and agree to most of your opinions

I don't understand why people hates Suza-kun. It's rare to see this kind of protagonist. Not hetare, but not OP, not the zenith of kindess, but not entirely asshole.

This anime is fresh in various ways and yet got horrible score in animelist... wtf
Old 2016-08-11, 09:27   Link #356
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Anyway with how much bloody water got, I think not seeing body is more matter of gore censorship than hope for survival...
There wasn't that much blood in the water on my version. Besides, a bird was shown to have died before she disappeared. So you really don't know what happened to her. Also, she has her World which can heal her.

Other findings was that the area that Canaria was standing on wasn't crushed. It just disappeared. You really only have the adults saying that she's dead.

She is a source of income for the franchise due to her songs. She prob won't be killed off.

Last edited by orion; 2016-08-11 at 09:41.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 10:05   Link #357
Triok123

the only pair i truly ship is Chiba's, the other feels kind of mehh..
Triok123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 13:41   Link #358
grecefar

I rather ship the sniper with aoi.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 15:01   Link #359
Triok123

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I rather ship the sniper with aoi.
if they only had more chemistry or at least conversation..
Triok123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-12, 01:25   Link #360
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Images
My Hime!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote