AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-31, 19:23   Link #1
Spooky-Electric

Good manga that many may not know about?

Can be licensed or unlicensed.

Basically looking for some under-the-radar quality manga here.
Old 2004-03-31, 19:30   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

Yakitate. Best thing since sliced bread. Waka waka.

It's about a kid who's a bread making genius who's trying to create Japan's trademark bread. He get's into these intense baking competitions and stuff. It's great. And the girl in my sig is in it.

It's unlicenced. www.snoopycool.com
Old 2004-03-31, 20:56   Link #3
Griffith

Narutaru (Shadow Star in America) is somewhat little-known. It's licensed, and Dark Horse publishes it. Wings of Vendemiaire and Bokurano are both unlicensed and are done by Mohiro Kitoh, who is also the author of Narutaru.
Old 2004-03-31, 21:04   Link #4
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Yet another chance to plug my favorite manga series no one knows about

1. NOW

NOW is all about a world where strength is power. The most destructive martial arts has been found in the hands of one boy who takes the role of death incarnate to crush anyone that wants its secrets when they are not worthy. Amazing action, memorable characters and good artwork makes this manga my favorite manga series.

It's licensed by comicsone. Currently there are 3 Volumes out. Get it at Borders or Waldenbooks/Amazon.com

www.comicsone.com

2. Zero

Zero is the story of ESP users who just want to live in peace but the government and their own pasts come back to haunt them constantly. Same Artist as NOW, and just as good.

Not Licensed.

3. Hajime No Ippo(if you watched the anime, you know how great it is, watch the rest of the story in manga form).
Old 2004-03-31, 21:33   Link #5
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD

It's about a kid who's a bread making genius who's trying to create Japan's trademark bread. He get's into these intense baking competitions and stuff. It's great. And the girl in my sig is in it.

Damn straight! I agree completely.
Yakitake!! Japan may not be the greatest cooking manga, but it's very funny, and enoyable.

Pluto, the new Naoki Urasawa's project, isn't very well known too. It's based on an arc of the original Tetsuwan Atom manga, written by master Osamu Tesuka. It's, without a doubt, beautiful and very good story-wise. Dealing with robots and a futuristic society, where a mysterious man (or robot?) is murdering robots, the main character, inspector Gesicht, tries to discover who's the man or robot behind the crimes, and solve this mysterious case. It's currently being scanslated by Mangascreener, and it's monthly. Sadly, Urasawa's work aren't very well known outside Japan. They're, in my opinion, some of the best manga I've ever read. Try, if you haven't, Monster and 20th Century Boys too. Both are being scanslated by Mangascreener (20th Century Boys in a joint project with The Hawks).
Old 2004-04-01, 02:46   Link #6
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD

Damn straight. One of my favorite mangas. Certainly the laugh out loud till you cry type of story. but I heard snoopy had to stop scanlation because Shogakukan asked him too.
Old 2004-04-01, 06:47   Link #7
stpehen
kisses for all

If I may tootle my own horn a bit, I'd count at least half of the manga we release at Mangascreener to be "good but unknown." The ones I would especially point out (that haven't already been mentioned) are Believers, G Senjou Heaven's Door, Love Roma, National Quiz, and Sexy Voice & Robo.

In the interest of fairness, there are also River's Edge from Jinmen-Juushin, Arigato and Living Game from the Hawks, and Drifting Classroom from Omanga.
Old 2004-04-01, 11:45   Link #8
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
Damn straight. One of my favorite mangas. Certainly the laugh out loud till you cry type of story. but I heard snoopy had to stop scanlation because Shogakukan asked him too.

From the web site:

"We will however continue to work on all projects and we will release them through the IRC channel"

They had better continue Yakitate. I'll buy the hard copies myself if they'll translate it.
Old 2004-04-01, 12:10   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I like Shikotama, it's rather funny and really unknown. I was suprised when
Tsuzuku Jinsei O... released the first chapter. It's worth reading even if at
first it makes absolutely no sense.

I'd also suggest Kagome Kagome by Yui Toshiki, being done by MangaTranslations.
The artwork is wonderful and the story is pretty good.

Anything by Mitsuru Adachi is also nice. Mangas like Hiatari Ryoukou, Rough,
Nine, Touch and Katsu are generally unknown yet still very good. All of which are
being hosted or done by MangaDownloads.
Old 2004-04-01, 19:40   Link #10
nojevo

OHHH Yakitate! Japan is one of my favorite manga of all time. If it wasnt for Manga jouhou's "manga of the week" I would have let this great manga pass by. Right now i'm reading Iron Wok Jan; its also about cooking. The manga is very funny in some moments and very addictive. ComicsOne is publishing it right now but they are taking their sweet time to release them
Old 2004-04-01, 19:57   Link #11
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Real Bout High School from Reiji Saiga and Sora Inoue. Avid manga readers may have heard of it or read it, but casual fans usually look over it. Tokyopop is distributing it (website here), and its sixth volume is coming out this July after countless months from the fifth voluem release. From the looks of the cover art, I dunno if the depth and value will be maintained, but I have hope... In any case, it's a great combat manga that makes sure you understand and familiarize yourself with its characters before they plunge head on into a battle. You learn how and why they fight, through a myriad of mysterious gangs, street punks, angelic samurai girls and much more. This manga also has some comedy in it, so it's not all serious as can be... but at times, it certainly can be.
Old 2004-04-01, 20:27   Link #12
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I actually really liked the CLAMP manga Wish. It's a story about a guy who saves an angel and he gets to have one wish in return for saving her. He doesn't want anything in return, so she stays with him until he decides.
Old 2004-04-01, 22:38   Link #13
Meier
A Beck anime? SWOON!

BECK!! Best manga ever! My second favorite right now is Yakitate!! Japan but that's getting much pimping -- and as mentioned, anything by Mitsuru Adachi is fantastic. My favorite is actually his most recent, Katsu, although anything from him is worthwhile. Other favorites that arent necessarily all that obscure but also rule -- see my avatar and sig (Monster and 20th Century Boys).
Old 2004-04-02, 03:56   Link #14
deedlit
the High Elf

Yakitate Japan is really very funny! Especially the reactions after eating the breads

Don't think psychometrer eiji is mentioned alot
http://www.omanga.net/?cid=psychometrer_eiji

it's a investigative criminal thriller about this highschool rebel who can find out stuff just by touching the object. (A better review can be found here)
Old 2004-04-02, 05:38   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Anyone ever read Angel Densetsu?
Old 2004-04-02, 08:10   Link #16
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I recommend Black Cat, though it is pretty well-known, unlicensend as far as I know. It's like an unholy mix of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and GunGrave, and damn, is it good. It would make a really kickass anime if anyone ever chose to do something like that.

Toriyama's World at www.toriyamaworld.com has the first three or four volumes. Download Anime releases other group's scanlations of it from five to volume eight or so, I think.

Anyway, I recommend it!
Old 2004-04-03, 01:25   Link #17
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Kazan

It's licensed and finished out here in the US as well, and probably almost unheard by anyone.

I've just about read all of it and it's a great manga, great plot, characters. It's only downfall is that its ending seemed totally rushed and completely unworthy of the greatness of the rest of the series.

If you ever find it, take a look.
Old 2004-04-03, 02:16   Link #18
NinjaSetsuna

Akuma de Sourou, unlicensed. Revolves around Kayano who accidently gives a love letter to Takeru. It turns out he's the principal's mischevious son and he begins to pick on her. Kayano then discovers her mom is engaged and he and his son are coming to live with them. She comes home to discover Takeru. As the manga goes on both develop feelings for each other, and if they should admit thier love. It's really great, and hilarious.

One drawback, it's only available in Japanese, but I think there are some scanlations floating around somewheres. ^___^
Old 2004-04-03, 04:28   Link #19
Secca
nya`
*Artist

not many know about:

Angel Densetsu
Old 2004-04-03, 06:07   Link #20
IMSabbel

Glass Mask.

A classic, but never licensed in the west. From 1975, so the art is quite old (but still better looking than many fugly 80s mangas).
At the moment it is being scanlated at good speed, but it will take some time to do all 41 volumes...
shoujou, by the way, but remember: Only real men read shoujou
Closed Thread

Tags
underappreciated, manga