AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters ~Refrain~ - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 5 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 45.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 22.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-11-23, 00:18   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Little Busters ~Refrain~ - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Little Busters ~Refrain~, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-11-23, 11:37   Link #2
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

I wonder if Masato's arc really was that short in the VN compared to the others or if the dude just got the short end of the stick.

At any rate that was a very ..uh.. unusual episode. For a while I felt like I was watching a completely different show there with Masato turning into Zombie Terminator and lifting a goddamn statue. Not to mention Riki, of all people, actually brought him down, even with all the tricks. It's just.. what? To be honest, rather than feeling empathy, I found myself on the verge of laughter several times this episode. The whole thing just felt weird.

And I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to think about the fact that earlier Riki got told for basically trying to emulate Kyousuke by trying to do the same thing, yet in this episode it's suddenly alright to be Kyousuke 2.0.

Last edited by Narzia; 2013-11-23 at 11:51.
Old 2013-11-23, 11:50   Link #3
Yye1
Wide Right

^ Well, Riki was trying to reinstill the feelings that led to Masato joining the Little Busters in the first place, thus he had to use some Kyousuke-like tactics, which is also seen as Riki taking Kyousuke's place as the heart of the Little Busters.

As for the VN, its been a while since I have played, but IIRC, they cut out some details, but stuck to the story overall.

Nice episode overall, I love the statue swinging

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Old 2013-11-23, 12:28   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I enjoyed learning about Masato's backstory. It was quite different from what I imagined. The present stuff was a bit underwhelming (the fight could have been a lot better) but it did its job. I thought Masato was acting to test Riki's resolve but it looks like he actually went crazy and started seeing everybody as himself...? That whole sequence was weird
Old 2013-11-23, 13:31   Link #5
ChampDream
Alive

Riki doing Kyousuke like tactics to get Masato back, it show how much he look up to him, I guess the different between the two will show later on when Riki regain his memories, about the rest of the episode the ending was really beautiful, I really like it. Next episode is Kengo's turn
Old 2013-11-23, 13:52   Link #6
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
And I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to think about the fact that earlier Riki got told for basically trying to emulate Kyousuke by trying to do the same thing, yet in this episode it's suddenly alright to be Kyousuke 2.0.
There was nobody around to scold Riki now. Masato realized too late what's happening and he was already happy with the result, so no comments from him. Plus, what Kyosuke did to Masato succeeded, same with Riki now. What he tried to do with Rin failed, so maybe that's why it wasn't alring to be Kyosuke 2.0 back then.
Old 2013-11-23, 14:27   Link #7
MCAL

First things first... yes, it probably should have been two episodes instead. That being said, I still think the episode was pretty great. I liked the use of Song for Friends too. And yes! they finally used a "World where nothing happens." (The piece that places during the Unlimited Masato Moment). Very good piece.

Also for Anime-Only viewers. No, the multiple Masato thing wasn't explained in the VN yet. JC Staff didn't leave it out.
Old 2013-11-23, 14:35   Link #8
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Great episode is great. I was worried about Masato's arc being put into one episode, but it was done very well, and the omission of the ED really helped too.

Quote:
I wonder if Masato's arc really was that short in the VN compared to the others or if the dude just got the short end of the stick.
In terms of overall text, Refrain is actually a shorter route than Haruka's in the VN, so getting 6/7 episodes should be enough for a satisfying adaptation. And if this and the previous episode are any indicator, it really is satisfying.

Quote:
At any rate that was a very ..uh.. unusual episode. For a while I felt like I was watching a completely different show there with Masato turning into Zombie Terminator and lifting a goddamn statue. Not to mention Riki, of all people, actually brought him down, even with all the tricks. It's just.. what? To be honest, rather than feeling empathy, I found myself on the verge of laughter several times this episode. The whole thing just felt weird.
Not a problem with the anime, that's for sure. That creepy yet somewhat funny vibe is exactly what I got when I read Masato's arc in the VN. You're supposed to be reminding of all the silly traps Kyousuke made during the "trial of courage" in the first season. It was entertaining for me in both mediums.
Old 2013-11-23, 16:35   Link #9
MCAL

Having watched the episode again, it felt like a much better experience. Damn, the scene with Masato's past is so damn good. I like how it gives hidden depth to the typical Key idiot male friend. And also Kyousuke's ability to see people for who they are.

Last edited by MCAL; 2013-11-23 at 17:58.
Old 2013-11-23, 16:55   Link #10
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Been waiting for that bgm to play for sometime now Part of me is disappointed they "wasted" it at the start of the episode, but then they hit the nail in the head by re-using it during Masato's flashback.

Overall the episode was pretty enjoyable.

(And I think the statue looks smaller in the anime. I did get a pretty good chuckle out of Masato hauling that damn thing around in the VN)
Old 2013-11-23, 16:56   Link #11
GDB

Gotta say, I thought Rin was joking when she said he was a monster as a kid. Apparently not.
Old 2013-11-23, 20:25   Link #12
Dr. Casey

This was a classic example of a character benefitting from a single episode of being in the spotlight; multiple layers and dimensions were added to Masato here, and if I ever rewatch the series I'm sure he'll feel like a somewhat different person in retrospect because of it (not in the sense that his simplicity or silliness is ingenuine, but his background story adds much depth to him and makes it clear why he cares for the Little Busters so much. It's touching how they revived his silly nature that evaporated from loneliness. The bit with him dancing as a kid for no reason was cute). It's also nice to see flashbacks because they're a reminder of the energy with which Kyousuke devoted himself to creating and nurturing the Little Busters back in the olden days, when they symbolized the future to him rather than a past that he believes they should all separate themselves from.

But uh... why did those kids mock Masato by pointing out that whenever he's thirsty, he drinks milk? Sometimes I drink milk whenever I'm thirsty, and as liquids tend to do, I walk away feeling not thirsty. What am I missing here.
Old 2013-11-23, 23:03   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Very entertaining, and nicely informative episode. Great episode for Masato, as this episode did a lot to explore and flesh out his character. The fighting was actually pretty exciting to watch, with rock solid depictions of thrown punches, and the physical damage left in their wake.

I particularly liked the flashback scenes, which explained why Masato became a delinquent, and how Kyousuke became friends with him by winning him over in a colorful fight. Riki's reenactment of what Kyousuke did before was also nicely handled, and definitely well-played.

In contrast to what was the case last week, this episode managed to make me forget about the wider cast, and it left me thoroughly satisfied me with its focus on Masato and the original Little Busters group.

It looks like Kengo is the next challenge for Riki, and after this episode, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Old 2013-11-23, 23:05   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

it's a little weak in first half... To be honest, I don't appreciate Riki's effort so much because he is always try to emulate Kyosuke... just tried to do it in your own way, Riki...!
Rin become more pro-active... she's starting to be her usual self...

So.. everyone starting to go back to their former self... Rin is a quiet and unsociable girl, Masato is wild, Kengo is serious, while Kyousuke try to emulate lonely Riki.
don't really get why there're multiple Masato... so Masato isn't only pretending to be wild?

second half is really good... Masato's past is just.... touching. Great job in bringing the emo scene
Old 2013-11-23, 23:43   Link #15
Meltyred

Quote:

Only Kengo doesn't like Riki emulating Kyousuke because he is afraid Riki will repeat what Kyousuke did and lead to the falling out of the members again.
Next episode will be the turning point though.
Old 2013-11-24, 09:42   Link #16
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

It didn't touch me like the VN did (I got misty eyed back then to be honest) but I feel that one episode was enough to portray Masato's part of the plot.

Though every time I read/watch this route I always wonder............why the hell didn't Masato take off his jacket!? Oh Masato, you dumb dumb xD
Old 2013-11-24, 09:55   Link #17
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
It didn't touch me like the VN did (I got misty eyed back then to be honest) but I feel that one episode was enough to portray Masato's part of the plot.

Though every time I read/watch this route I always wonder............why the hell didn't Masato take off his jacket!? Oh Masato, you dumb dumb xD
You know, I never thought of that :V
I guess it works because it's Masato.
Old 2013-11-24, 11:20   Link #18
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Because he's the strongest, that's why! Taking off the jacket's for pussies.
Old 2013-11-24, 12:00   Link #19
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:

I remember thinking about that while playing. I was like: "Masato, why no take off your jacket? You could easily destroy me afterwards - wait, I don't actually want that" - didn't care now.

What's even more amazing is how though that jacket is. A normal jacket would just tear - or the statue could fall & pull the jacket off Masato, but no, it just stood there, stuck to the guy. Riki, you owe the jacket one.
Old 2013-11-24, 17:50   Link #20
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

It really is funny that Riki's entire plan was dependent on Masato being an idiot xD
Closed Thread